• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SCEA President: "We don't buy exclusivity."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonar

In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..."

He went on to say...

"Microsoft is too dependent on the third-party community, and Nintendo is too depended on first-party. We like to feel that we got a pretty good mix."

Suggest grabbing the latest PSM for the full interview - lots of good stuff in it (and I'm not just saying that because they're down the hall, seriously).

- Tyler "Bender" Wilde
Associate Editor / Cheat zombie

http://radarnation.gamesradar.com/thread.jspa?threadID=10685&tstart=0

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
"We don't fund development."

Well, you do Jack. Maybe not third party games, but every time a publishing deal is signed, that's effectively what's being done!

GhaleonEB

On one hand, he has a point about buying exclusives. On the other, at the end of the day it's not how you get the exclusives, it's that you've got them. Or, that you don't have them. Also:

We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..."
This will not end well.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
SolidSnakex said:
This isn't true, all you have to do is go look at GTA on the PS2.

I think the quote should have ended with the word "anymore".

BTW this thread is doomed.

Zonar said:
In a not-very-disguised jab at Microsoft, SCEA President Jack Tretton told PSM in the latest issue:

"We have a very different approach to exclusives than some of our competitors. We don't buy exclusivity. We don't fund development. We don't, for lack of a better term, bribe somebody to only do a game on our platform. We earn it..."

Man . . . that is almost like saying "we are pulling the plug on the PS3."

methane47

SolidSnakex said:

Every GTA game on PS2 was released on the XBox.. (except for the "Stories" games)

I was not aware that Sony had anything to do with that exclusivity maybe barring San Andreas... and that is a maybe..

The others were just timed exclusive by default..

VonGak!

Banned
Nothing new but I personally prefer this approach.

I just hope MS expand their own publishing while pursuing their current tactic or else they'll have to buy even more 3'rd party titles next gen.

womfalcs3

Banned
gofreak said:
"We don't fund development."

Well, you do Jack. Maybe not third party games, but every time a publishing deal is signed, that's effectively what's being done!

I think he meant solely 3rd party development. Well, that's the context at least.

PhatSaqs

Banned
bullshit.jpg

Those statements must only pertain to some seriously selective definitions and this current generation. Previously, Sony has done all of the things that Tretton claims that they don't do. As for that being even considered a jab, I don't even know what to say...there's nothing wrong with giving incentives or negotiating deals. It is a competitive business after all. To claim that those things are remotely negative is pretty damned crazy. Sounds like a grasp at some kind of higher ground which Sony has never really occupied to me.

fernoca

Geeze guys..
What are you expecting of the President of Sony Computer Entertainment of America to say about the Sony PlayStation consoles??

Anyone that tries to create an argument in favor or against him, is just..dumb. :lol

Yet they always strike deals with publishers to release their games first on their a Sony platform (GTA 3, Vice City, GTA SA, Guitar Hero 2, Guitar Hero 80's)

KevinRo

Zonar said:
He went on to say...

"Microsoft is too dependent on the third-party community, and Nintendo is too depended on first-party. We like to feel that we got a pretty good mix."

O'RLY?!

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
womfalcs3 said:
I think he meant solely 3rd party development. Well, that's the context at least.

When you sign a third party to a publishing contract...well, they become a second party, I guess.

But they were independent third parties prior to that. Sony certainly offers up some change to get those games, we've just seen another example even today. Sure, it's not a relationship based solely on money, but that's the significant element..

If he says they don't fund development of third party games..well, they do, they just ask for the publishing rights in return :)

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So they're saying they don't want more games for their consumers? Do whatever you want I guess.

That works out for me at least since I won't be buying a PS3 till the price drops (severely).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
If there is something wrong with bought exclusivity, then it is wrong for developers to allow themselves to be bought and not just console makers to buy it.

People often defend developers by saying "well, if you were offered moneyhats, you'd have to take it to survive"--and that's exactly the attitude Microsoft uses when deciding to buy exclusivity.

So either you accept that game development is as much economics as it is art or you reject it entirely and hold everyone accountable.

PhatSaqs said:

:lol

fernoca said:
Geeze guys..
What are you expecting of the President of Sony Computer Entertainment of America to say about the Sony PlayStation consoles??

Anyone that tries to create an argument in favor or against him, is just..dumb. :lol

I like how Iwata keeps his mouth shut and talks only about his own company. I do not like how Yamauchi was a screeching moron.

methane47 said:
Every GTA game on PS2 was released on the XBox..

I was not aware that Sony had anything to do with that exclusivity maybe barring San Andreas... and that is a maybe..

The others were just timed exclusive by default..

It was, but Sony originally had a contract that made GTA exclusive to the PS2 until 2004, T2 changed their mind and did some work to get Sony to let them out of the contract so they could release the GTA's sooner on the Xbox.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
speculawyer said:
Man . . . that is almost like saying "we are pulling the plug on the PS3."
Man the logic behind your post is, for lack of a better word, astonishing.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Piper Az said:
replace "anymore" with " 'cause we can't afford to"

Why? "anymore" would be true... "cause we can't afford to" would not be.

VonGak!

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
True very true but wasn't it R* looking for financing contacting SONY and not SONY pursuing a high profile title which already had a healthy budget and user base.

My problem is when already healthy 3'rd party franchises are made exclusive because those money could have been posted in new interesting IPs.

As gamers we should want as much as possible instead of high profile titles being paid to become exclusive.

fernoca said:
Geeze guys..

true it's his jurb to make Sony look good, but he shouldn't look like a retard in the process. He should have said something else supporting first party/ second party development instead of being a hypocrite.

skybaby

Didn't they just sign a deal with QuanticDream for publishing rights? That's basically buying exclusives, unless the game is coming out on 360 too! :lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
He probably should have just said we didn't 'need' to buy exclusives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom