• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1 Sign-Up Thread

Firestorm

This is a signup thread. This will be gone after the 23rd. Communicate in the tournament thread located in the Online forum: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253953

Format
1v1
Double Elimination Bracket
Best of 3
Stock with no time limit

What is Double Elimination? Once you lose, you go to the loser's bracket. You must lose again in the loser's bracket to be eliminated from the tournament. This gives you a minimum of 2 sets. To see how this works, you can see the Pokemon tournament which was run in the same way.

Date and Time
The tournament will begin on March 23rd, 2008. You will have 3 days to complete each round.

Settings
Stock: 3
Items: Off
Neutral Stages: TBA
Banned Stages: None

Set Flow
Please add your opponent to AIM or MSN or something to make the following communication in Match 2 and 3 easier. You can PM back and forth, but that's a lot of PMs!

1st Match: Picked from Neutral Stages by me before match. Characters picked at same time.
2nd Match: Loser of first match picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character
3rd Match (if required): Loser of second match picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character

Again, you'll have to communicate with your opponent in some other way after each battle due to the communication issues with Brawl. Or PM what your choices would be before the battle if you're really far away from the PC and don't want to get up or something. But if either person wants to do it after each match, their choice rules.

Rules I am not using
The following are NOT in effect if you're familiar with Melee:
- Time limit (this is an online tournament, we don't need to finish 100 matches in one day)
- Dave's Stupid Rule (let's not make this more complicated)
- Banning a stage for the set (again, let's not make this more complicated)

IMO, the flow of sets with counterpicking is important enough to strategy that we should go with it.

Things to set on your game
Both players must set items to off during tournament matches. It randomly picks one person's item settings.
Both players must choose the stage chosen for the match. It randomly picks one preson's stage choice.
Host set stock to 3. All other options are default.

Prizes
1st: Virtual Console / Wii Ware game worth 800 points or less
2nd: None?
3rd: None?

If anyone donates, I'll add a 2nd and 3rd prize. If we get both 2nd and 3rd, I'll up first prize to any game worth 1200 or less.

Registration
Post in the following format:

Location / Forum Name / Brawl Name / 5026-4112-2259
For location put in your state abbreviation (USA), province abbreviation (Canada), or country name (Europe, Oceania, Japan, etc). Example:

BC / Firestorm / Fire / 5026-4112-2259

I will try to pair people up by region to minimize lag. Or I might go random if Nintendo shapes up ^_^ The thing is, the later matches are more important and exciting, so need less lag, but the early rounds have more people. Also, it's impossible to make the later rounds definitely have the same region.

Current Participants (118/128):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253953

mugwhump

If both players agree to it, let them turn on items. I'll have them off but I know others will want them.
And I'll add my friend code when I get it. : D

Firestorm

mugwhump said:
If both players agree to it, let them turn on items. I'll have them off but I know others will want them.
And I'll add my friend code when I get it. : D

I was thinking of it, but decided against. We'll go with items off this time. DavidDayton is organizing a tournament after this I think where we'll be all playing with items =)

I'm in... but i'm not sure of my friend code (at work)...can I edit it in later today?

MA/ infiniteloop / Mike / 2664 1813 6346

Teknoman

USA Tx. / Teknoman / Tek / 2621-2305-2572

*Also i've got AIM so I can use that if necessary. And how do you opt out of picking a stage? Just let the time run down?

mugwhump

Oh well... though if they want to they can just turn items on anyway :p

And yeah Vancouver/Mugwhump/Mug/something-something-something
edit:
4511-0242-5017

Aladuf

Banned
This sounds fun, I'll dig up my friend code after work around 7 tonight. (I am SO going to get my ass kicked :lol )

CassSept

I should (hopefully) get it by 23rd March so im signing up
Poland/CassSept/CS.E/blah blah blah, will update once i get game

ON, Canada/OliveJuice/Nin/1934-0346-5121
I'm still not used to the online control lag, but lets see.

Edit: We shoulda done the wifi thread with this format too :lol

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
USA, HI/ Superbank/ BANK/ 0473 7438 0591

My only non-lag match was with someone else on the island. California or Japan might work, I don't know.

Jiggy

For the record, I haven't gotten a non-lag match yet out of dozens. >_> Warning in advance!

USA - CA (as in, California) / Jiggy37 / Jiggy / 0559-6463-8106

Firestorm

I'll update the roster when I get home from school (around 8:30 PM Pacific). If I haven't updated yet, just edit your posts in with your correct info. If I have updated, then please post again.

Also, remember to use the correct abbreviation! I don't even know all the States, let alone their abbreviations! I'm going to be sticking this into Excel and ordering by alphabet if I go by the region thing. Not sure if I will. Lag seems more because of people's connections rather than distance anyway. But it's still useful if any of you want to add people close by!

Cyan said:
CA / Cyan / SEAN / don't know (will edit in when I get home)

Actually, how do I find my Brawl code? I know where to find the Wii code, but not this one.

Cyan, you find your brawl code by connection to Wifi. Then choose "With Friends." Then choose "Friend List." At the top you should see your profile with your Brawl code right there.

fernoca

Hmm..
But NeoGAF doesn't play games..how is this going to work?
Spectator Mode??.. :p

Anyway..I may join..I'll since I usually work till midnight..

Spruchy

US East New Jersey / Spruchy / Sprch / 1117-9940-7790
(This is my USA code that I just got today and would like to use for the tourney).

Should be fun, AIM is Thenubwithaplan.

Top Bottom