• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1 Sign-Up Thread

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
RevenantKioku said:
Generally?!?! :(
Where's the "3 stock, no limitations, both pick characters, both set random stage, go!" tournament?

I'm just leaving my options open when I draw up a chart. The majority of the tournament will be full items, but I wouldn't object to one or two no items matches. At the very least, it would serve to disprove any objections from the "no Items" crowd.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
DavidDayton said:
I'm just leaving my options open when I draw up a chart. The majority of the tournament will be full items, but I wouldn't object to one or two no items matches. At the very least, it would serve to disprove any objections from the "no Items" crowd.
Eh, fuck them! :D
Firestorm said:
However, online you'll have to do it quickly in an IM or something because of how much is hidden from each other. I could look to see if we can get the "loser picks stage" thing for online battles, but I'm not too sure if that'd be ideal. Especially since you're the only one who's raised a complaint and I don't think you're entering?
Just seems excessive and I still don't get this 'counter-picking' shit because why does anyone deserve any kind of advantage like that? Just doesn't make sense to me at all. The stage thing is also the luck of the draw as far as I'm concerned. Trying to make it the "ideal" for everyone or giving a slight advantage to some just seems more unfair than randomness. But I'm no tournament player?

That said, fuck it, I'm in. I enjoy Smash too much.

Japan / RevenantKioku / コジ / 4468-0176-8031

Zozz

Banned
Minnesota/Zozz/Zozz/3523-1698-1389

I am not sure if I would be able to, considering its spring break. I might or might not be out of town, I want to be part of it but i don't know.

RevenantKioku said:

Just seems excessive and I still don't get this 'counter-picking' shit because why does anyone deserve any kind of advantage like that? Just doesn't make sense to me at all. The stage thing is also the luck of the draw as far as I'm concerned. Trying to make it the "ideal" for everyone or giving a slight advantage to some just seems more unfair than randomness. But I'm no tournament player?

It's a tournament. It is meant to be a measure of one player's skill against another. So it is best to eliminate as much of the luck factor as you possible can. Plus counterpicking doesn't really add any kind of advantage, just a little more strategy. Why would have more strategy in a tournament be a bad thing?

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
BudokaiMR2 said:
It's a tournament. It is meant to be a measure of one player's skill against another. So it is best to eliminate as much of the luck factor as you possible can. Plus counterpicking doesn't really add any kind of advantage, just a little more strategy. Why would have more strategy in a tournament be a bad thing?
Because it allows for regulated strategy?
If a person always plays X character on Y map, without items there's a chance of them trying to get into a constant rhythm. This is boring? With luck and randomness available, playing requires more skill because you have to work around more than just the other player's skill.
I akin these regulations to learning for a test. In the real world it's useless, you need to be on your feet and you need to be able to adapt better. I think that makes for a more entertaining battle of skill, but I'm obviously very alone on this matter.

Firestorm

RevenantKioku said:

You get the slight advantage only if you lose the match before. And if you win, then the winner of the first match gets the advantage again. We DEFINITELY are not randoming every stage. I was entertaining the thought of just having the loser pick stage and going into it blind with regards to characters, but I think it's worth the effort.

I agree with "eh fuck them", David. It's your tournament, your rules. Also, take that discussion to the other thread >_>

RevenantKioku said:
Because it allows for regulated strategy?
If a person always plays X character on Y map, without items there's a chance of them trying to get into a constant rhythm. This is boring? With luck and randomness available, playing requires more skill because you have to work around more than just the other player's skill.
I akin these regulations to learning for a test. In the real world it's useless, you need to be on your feet and you need to be able to adapt better. I think that makes for a more entertaining battle of skill, but I'm obviously very alone on this matter.

Yeah except they won't be able to play on the stage they want constantly because if they win the other person gets to choose, which then gets rid of that aspect. It's really not that hard to understand....

The whole 'a good player can overcome randomness' is complete BS though, especially in Brawl. I would like to see your 'skill' somehow dodge the Lyn Assist trophy or avoid Peach's FS. Or to somehow teleport across the stage and get an Star powerup that spawned next to the other player.

I love pure smash and never turn off anything except Stars and Health items at home, but it just doesn't work for a serious tourney

But goddamn this really isn't the place for this discussion. I am going to be in the items tourney also because I think I am a better player with items on(well most of them).

RevenantKioku

Firestorm said:
You get the slight advantage only if you lose the match before. And if you win, then the winner of the first match gets the advantage again. We DEFINITELY are not randoming every stage. I was entertaining the thought of just having the loser pick stage and going into it blind with regards to characters, but I think it's worth the effort.

I agree with "eh fuck them", David. It's your tournament, your rules. Also, take that discussion to the other thread >_>
Still sounds like bullshit to me, but your tournament, your rules.
Anyway, discussion taken. Budokai, I replied in the GAME OF FOREVER thread if you care, and I know you really don't. :D

I'm in CA/Muttyeah416/Mutty 3652 0205 6637

this seems really confusing. do i just show up?

can we change characters throughout each set?

Firestorm

The tournament starts on Sunday. You'll see who you have to play. You have 3 days to contact and play your opponent. Winner moves on to the next round. Loser moves on to the losers bracket and plays other people who lost. You can change characters every game.

That's all you need to know for now.

Firestorm

Updated to Post #129.

Also, could someone with all the additional rules unlocked check to see if Loser Picks Stage is an option online? If so, I'm willing to let go of the counterpick sequence that we're currently using. I disagree with the whole random stages thing, but I do understand that this method is complicated due to Nintendo's communication shortcomings.

If we can set Loser Picks, then I think it's a good compromise.

Enk

makes good threads.
Hmm, I'm always up for a tournament battle. Hopefully the lag will be toned down by then as the random matches I've had so far have been horrible.

TN/ Enk/ Enk/ 1375-6901-4050

Teasel

i still haven't try any online play (just got the game today) but would like to join if possible
anyway
italy/teasel/magus/willaddlater

Vard

I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days then so I can't join this tournament. :(

Firestorm, any guesses as to when singles tournament #2 might be?

usea

LA / usea / usea / 0731-4473-3005

My connection isn't great. I apologize to all those in advance who play me. I'll do my best to find somewhere with a good connection for the tournament days.

Firestorm

Updated up to post #146.

There will be a 128 person limit. Anyone who signs up afterwards is going to be a substitute in the case someone doesn't show up for their first round match or is banned for their first round match. It will be on a first come first served basis.

Please check out the poll in the Discussion thread and tell me your thoughts.

Vard said:
I'm going to be out of town for a couple of days then so I can't join this tournament. :(

Firestorm, any guesses as to when singles tournament #2 might be?

How long and when?

yeb

Just got my LAN adapter today. Firestorm, you're awesome for running so many tournaments like this.

CA / yeb / yeb / 4081-5248-1418

Top Bottom