• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles Tournament #1 Sign-Up Thread

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Firestorm said:
1st Match: Picked from Neutral Stages by me before match. Characters picked at same time.
2nd Match: Loser of first match picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character
3rd Match (if required): Loser of second match picks stage, winner picks character, loser picks character
Sorry, what? Can you give a reason why this needs to be so complex? I'm not seeing it.
I was going to give in on the no-items account but I'm still not grasping why a goddamned smash tournament needs to be so complicated?
Sorry, maybe I sound meaner than I intend but I'm just not getting why time needs to be wasted on things like this?

I remembered that i put my friend code in the wi-fi thread :D

Japan / BudokaiMR2 / Budo / 2835-9351-3938

Not really sure how bad the lag will be though....

Alex

RevenantKioku said:
Sorry, what? Can you give a reason why this needs to be so complex? I'm not seeing it.
I was going to give in on the no-items account but I'm still not grasping why a goddamned smash tournament needs to be so complicated?
Sorry, maybe I sound meaner than I intend but I'm just not getting why time needs to be wasted on things like this?

It's ok to sound mean when the rules are this silly. Pass for me.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
BudokaiMR2 said:
Not really sure how bad the lag will be though....
I've been playing my buddy in NJ all morning and it's been going pretty smooth!

RevenantKioku said:

I would have to say this is a decent way to do it. Counterpicking in smash tournaments is important, and something like this is especially necessary since you can't see what the other person is picking when you are online.

As long as I am understanding it right, the winner always picks his character first in order to give the loser a chance to counterpick.

RevenantKioku

BudokaiMR2 said:
I would have to say this is a decent way to do it. Counterpicking in smash tournaments is important, and something like this is especially necessary since you can't see what the other person is picking when you are online.

As long as I am understanding it right, the winner always picks his character first in order to give the loser a chance to counterpick.
I would think it would be better as you don't know who's picking who? Forget it. Clearly this isn't meant for me. :lol
Will there be any other kinds of tournaments going on or should I start one up?

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
RevenantKioku said:
I would think it would be better as you don't know who's picking who? Forget it. Clearly this isn't meant for me. :lol
Will there be any other kinds of tournaments going on or should I start one up?

I'm running the "Real Men Use Items" tournament. I'll have an info thread up by the end of the week, but there is an interest thread over in the Online forum. Feel free to express interest in the tournament. I was actually pondering doing it the same weekend as Firestorm's, but l'll probably wait a week for it.

Firestorm

I'm going through sign-ups now.

RevenantKioku said:

I'm trying to keep it as least complicated as possible, but yeah I see what you're saying. It's done mostly to alleviate any advantages given due to stage + character combinations. Even a stage like Final Destination which everyone seems to think is a "real" test of skill or whatever, is inherently advantageous to certain characters (Hi Falco in Melee).

It's actually NOT that complicated offline.

Loser says what stage they want.
Winner picks character.
Loser picks stage.

Done.

However, online you'll have to do it quickly in an IM or something because of how much is hidden from each other. I could look to see if we can get the "loser picks stage" thing for online battles, but I'm not too sure if that'd be ideal. Especially since you're the only one who's raised a complaint and I don't think you're entering?

DavidDayton is creating a tournament after this one (or during the middle?) not sure. I don't know if people want to go by the "one tournament at a time" idea we were passing around the Dojo thread.

Alex said:
It's ok to sound mean when the rules are this silly. Pass for me.

Excuse me but where are the rules "this silly"? It's basically the smash everyone plays with the only settings changed being 2 minute time to 3 stock and items from on to off. Other than that, it's a best of 3 with double elimination.

DDayton

I've updated the "Real Men Use Items" thread. In deference to Firestorm (and practicality... I'm not going to be playing in a tournament during Easter weekend for a variety of reasons), I'm planning the Items tournament for March 24th - March 31st.

The basic info is in the thread (some details will be worked out), but this should explain the most important part:

Me said:
This tournament will consist of matches using a variety of commonly accepted modes, including items. This should favor the well rounded Brawl player. Possible matches could include: four player w/ items (top two progress), 1 on 1 w/ items, stock, timed, timed stock, and even (potentially) a "No Item" match. The majority of the tournament will feature items and stock matches.

I would rather see the tourneys at different time periods since I would want to do both.

And for daviddayton's tourney, are you just going to go with all items? Final smash and health recovery items too?

DDayton

BudokaiMR2 said:
I would rather see the tourneys at different time periods since I would want to do both.

And for daviddayton's tourney, are you just going to go with all items? Final smash and health recovery items too?

Check the thread!

(Generally, all items will be allowed. Generally.)

Top Bottom