• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Career-Age: Going back to school

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've come to the depressing realization that I don't have much in terms of worker skill. I'm an analyst, working for a government sub-contractor in the DC area, and even though the pay is decent, I've come to the conclusion that, with just a good grasp of the English language and no more than a week of training, anyone can do this fucking job.

I don't find it fulfilling at all, but I also understand that if I'm going to make a lateral move to a company in another unrelated field then I'm going to need specialized training.

So, I'm considering going back to school.

Any (older) GAFers, stuck in sorry career jobs or positions, thinking about taking the same step?

snacknuts

we all knew her
I've been working and going to school for almost four years now. I'll be done by xmas of next year. I usually take three classes in the spring and fall semesters and one or two courses during the summer. I would be close to being finished if I hadn't taken a couple semesters off here and there and if I hadn't changed majors twice.

Doing both is difficult, but it can definitely be done, especially if your employer is supportive and flexible with your schooling.

NintendosBooger said:
I've come to the depressing realization that I don't have much in terms of worker skill. I'm an analyst, working for a government sub-contractor in the DC area, and even though the pay is decent, I've come to the conclusion that, with just a good grasp of the English language and no more than a week of training, anyone can do this fucking job.

I don't find it fulfilling at all, but I also understand that if I'm going to make a lateral move to a company in another unrelated field then I'm going to need specialized training.

So, I'm considering going back to school.

Any (older) GAFers, stuck in sorry career jobs or positions, thinking about taking the same step?
My job description is basically the same as yours except I live/work in NJ. The problem is I get good health coverage and the pay is good enough. With a shitty job market this is all you can ask for. If you go back to school you might not find another job when you get out again.

I went back to school the past 2 years after being out for five. I failed my first year, and then started working full-time. I went back and found out the credits I took years ago still applied. Im graduating in May and moving on to a 4 year business distance learning program.

If you do take classes look into tuition reimbursement. Also, make Human Resources aware you are taking classes, so if you apply for a promotion, they have your education on file.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom