• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Sales Age) Earnings time again (Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, UBI)

Marvelous Entertainment statement is out, unfortunately, it appears that only the Japanese version is available...Anyway, here are a few infos I could find :

-net sales : 1,238.7M (down 0.8% from last year)
-operating profit : 352M yen
-ordinary profit : 326M yen
-net profit : 791M yen

Also :

-Expectedly positive bilan, despite inferior amount of sales compared to last year
-Overseas business is in good shape, thanks to good results of subsidiary Rising Star Games, with most satisfactory sales of "Harvest Moon DS" (330k units sold in Europe, 530k shipped), "No More Heroes"(Wii) [cvxfreakgirl.jpg], and "Harvest Moon Magical Melody"(Wii).

Sources : 1, 2

Opiate

Stormbringer said:
Marvelous Entertainment statement is out, unfortunately, it appears that only the Japanese version is available...Anyway, here are a few infos I could find :

-net sales : 1,238.7M (down 0.8% from last year)
-operating profit : 352M yen
-ordinary profit : 326M yen
-net profit : 791M yen

Also :

-Expectedly positive bilan, despite inferior amount of sales compared to last year
-Overseas business is in good shape, thanks to good results of subsidiary Rising Star Games, with most satisfactory sales of "Harvest Moon DS" (330k units sold in Europe, 530k shipped), "No More Heroes"(Wii) [cvxfreakgirl.jpg], and "Harvest Moon Magical Melody"(Wii).

Those are incredible operating margins. For those wondering, that's ~7.2 million dollars in net income for the year for the company.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Opiate said:
Those are incredible operating margins. For those wondering, that's ~7.2 million dollars in net income for the year for the company.
Hopefully they'll use some of that to bail Oboro out of the trouble it's in.

Marvelous, still. Number of actual/forecasted titles per console and actual/forecasted shipments for FY2008 and 2009 :

FY2008 (Japan + Overseas) :

Wii : 8 titles (5 Japan + 3 Overseas) : 520k units (168k Japan + 352k Overseas)
DS : 18 titles (12 + 6) : 1,141k units (599k + 541k)
PS2 : 11 titles (11 + 0) : 212k units (207k + 4k)
PSP : 4 titles (1 + 3) : 155k units (63k + 91k)

Forecasts FY2009 (Japan + Overseas) :

Wii : 14 titles (7 Japan + 7 Overseas) : 1,070k units (380k Japan + 690k Overseas)
NDS : 23 titles (13 + 10) : 1,270k units (540k + 530k)
PS2 : 6 titles (4 + 2) : 90k units (80k + 10k)
PSP : 6 titles (4 + 2) : 200k units (150k + 50 k)

Various shipments as of 03/08 :

No More Heroes -> EU : 150k / NA : 180k
Harvest Moon DS -> EU : 530k / NA : 280k

While we're at it with Marvelous, here's a good overview of their key lineup for, each console and each region, for the past and upcoming year, respectively :

FY2008 :

45565461.jpg

FY2009 (Yellow : Japan / Pale Yellow : America / Pink : Europe) :

545454.jpg

So glad to see Oboro Muramasa Youtouden in there, especially with all the rumours surrounding its troubled development...

By the way, and there are also some rumoured sales projections for various titles (Project O, Oboro, Avalon Code) floating around with some infos from the investors meeting, but I wasn't able to tally these with any official source I could verify, so I decided against posting these in the end... So anyway, if you're able to confirm these from an official source, please let us know.

Oh, and sorry to triple post, but it looks like we've completely skipped Konami (results were out since 5/20). Here are some interesting bits anyway :

Platforms specific sales ratio ->

FY 2007 :

PS2 : 47.2%
DS : 21.9%
PSP : 14.5%
X360 : 6.3%
PC : 3.0%
GBA : 2.6%
Wii : 1.8%
Xbox : 1.6%
Other : 0.8%
PS3 : 0.3%

FY 2008 :

PS2 : 34.1%
DS : 23.9%
PSP : 16.4%
Wii : 8.8%
PS3 : 8.3%
X360 : 5.3%
PC : 2.4%
Other : 0.4%
GBA : 0.3%
Xbox : 0.1%

Games units sold by genre (FY2007 -> FY2008) ->

Soccer : 8.47M -> 9.43M
Baseball : 1.56M -> 1.66M
Anime : 2.64M -> 2.44M
Music : 1.95M -> 2.30M
Metal Gear : 1.10M -> 1.11M
Other : 6.78M -> 6.40M

Total : 22.50M -> 23.33M

Source :
http://www.konami.co.jp/ja/ir/ir-data/meeting/2008/0520.pdf

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SPEAKING of No More Heroes, we can officially say that it has outshipped killer7 now!

Capcom said worldwide on both SKUs, killer7 shipped 300k (doubt sell through came much passed half that though).

Now we know that between JA, NA, EU, NMH has shipped 350k in 3 months on the Wii alone!
Sell through is likely close to 270k or so as well.

John Harker said:
SPEAKING of No More Heroes, we can officially say that it has outshipped killer7 now!

Capcom said worldwide on both SKUs, killer7 shipped 300k (doubt sell through came much passed half that though).

Now we know that between JA, NA, EU, NMH has shipped 350k in 3 months on the Wii alone!
Sell through is likely close to 270k or so as well.
Yep, I think this is pretty much correct.
And who knows, maybe Marvelous will be able to reach their 500k shipments target by next fiscal year, which would be indeed pretty damn great for them and for GHM ! In fact, even if they don't reach this target by next year, they would still have enough reasons to be happy with this game's sales so far.

Accident

Ubisoft® reports first-half 2008-09 sales

• Second-quarter sales up 37% to €175 million, outstripping targets.
  • Marked increase expected for first-half current operating income.
  • Targets raised for full-year 2008-09.
  • Update on the games release schedule.
Paris, October 23, 2008 – Today, Ubisoft reported its sales for the fiscal half-year ended
September 30, 2008.
Sales
Sales for the first half of 2008-09 came to €344 million, up 31.5%, or 38.3% at constant
exchange rates, compared with the €261 million recorded for the same period of 2007-08.
Second-quarter sales totaled €175 million, representing an increase of 37.3% (43.6% at
constant exchange rates) on the €127 million posted for the second quarter of 2007-08. This
performance – which exceeded the guidance of approximately €160 million issued when
Ubisoft released its sales figures for first-quarter 2008-09 – was primarily attributable to:

− The successful launches of Brothers in Arms Hell's Highway™ and SoulCalibur™IV
(Europe) for the Xbox360™ and PLAYSTATION®3.
− Solid sales turned in by casual games including new titles such as Imagine® Teacher,
My Secret World by Imagine™ and PlayZone™ Sports Party.

Yves Guillemot, Chief Executive Officer, stated: "Ubisoft delivered a robust performance in the second fiscal quarter against an uncertain environment. We are carefully and regularly monitoring changes in the economic context in order to factor them into our market forecasts and financial targets. Going forward, we are confident that the video game industry will be able to continue its dynamic growth in 2008 and 2009, buoyed by the increase in the installed base for consoles coupled with the steady influx of new consumers. At the same time, we believe that thanks to the diversity and quality of Ubisoft’s games line-up – which caters to both hardcore and casual gamers – we are ideally positioned to continue to win market share in the coming years. Holiday 2008 will be another demonstration of this, as we are introducing a gaming experience for everyone with the following titles:

− Far Cry® 2 and Tom Clancy's End War™ for hard-core gamers.
− Rayman Raving Rabbids® 3 and the PlayZone range, designed to be played by the
whole family on the Wii.
− Prince of Persia® for adventure-seeking gamers, and Shaun White for sport and
snowboarding fans.
− The Petz® and Imagine ranges, designed for girls, and Jake Power™ for boys as well as
the ENER-G sport range dedicated to the US market.
− The Planet Rescue™ range, which will give children the opportunity to take an interest
in protecting the environment, as well as the MyCoach range which will enable adults to
both learn and look after their well-being while playing."

Outlook
Increase expected for first-half current operating income
Based on currently available information, Ubisoft expects current operating income before
stock options to represent a marked increase compared with the 3.4% of sales recorded for the first half of 2007-08. This rise mainly reflects the leverage effect on structure costs related to the strong increase in sales, as well as the favorable impact of the “Games for Everyone” range which requires a low level of R&D expenditure.

Sales for the third quarter of 2008-09 The third quarter of 2008-09 will be the most important and diversified quarter in Ubisoft's
history, with the following main releases:

− Far Cry 2 for the Xbox360™, PC and PLAYSTATION®3
− Prince of Persia for Xbox360™, PC, PLAYSTATION®3 and Nintendo DS™
− Shaun White for the Wii™, Xbox360™, PC, PLAYSTATION®3, Nintendo DS™, PSP™ and
PLAYSTATION®2
− Rayman Raving Rabbids 3 for the Wii™ and Nintendo DS
− Tom Clancy's EndWar for the Xbox360™, PC and PLAYSTATION®3, Nintendo DS™ and
PSP™,
− New casual games for the Nintendo DS™ and Wii™ for the Petz, Imagine, MyCoach,
ENER-G (US), Jake Power, Planet Rescue, and PlayZone ranges.

Consequently, the Group expects third-quarter 2008-09 sales to come in at around
€500 million, up 11% on the same period of 2007-08.

Update on the games release schedule
In view of the good first-half trends and the positive outlook for the third quarter, Ubisoft has decided that Anno™ as well as the as-yet unannounced franchise which were previously scheduled to be released in 2008-09 will now bolster the line-up for 2009-10.

Targets raised for full-year 2008-09
Based on solid first-half sales performance combined with a more favorable dollar impact and the positive third-quarter outlook, Ubisoft is raising its targets for full-year 2008-09. The fullyear
sales guidance is now around €1,050 million compared with the previous figure of around
€1,020 million, and the guidance for current operating income before stock options has been revised upward to at least 13% of sales versus the previous target of at least 12%.

Recent highlights
Market share: In the first nine calendar months of 2008, Ubisoft was the number 4
independent publisher in the United States with 5.1% market share (compared with number 4 and 5.6% one year earlier); number 3 in Europe with 8.1% market share (compared with number 3 and 7.9%); number 2 in France with 7.5% market share (compared with number 3 and 7.5%); number 4 in the United Kingdom with 8.4% market share (compared with number 3 and 9.0%); and number 3 in Germany with 7.6% market share (compared with number 3 and 6.9%).

Breakdown of sales by geographic region
Q2 2008/09
Europe 65%
North America 29%
Rest of world 6%
TOTAL 100%

Breakdown of sales by platform

Nintendo DS™ 39%
PC 6%
PlayStation®2 1%
PLAYSTATION®3 20%
PSP™ 2%
Wii™ 11%
XBOX 360™ 20%
TOTAL 100%

Games Release Schedule

Third quarter (October – December 2008)
BATTLE OF GIANTS™ DINOSAURS Nintendo DS™
BROTHERS IN ARMS HELL’S HIGHWAY™ PC
CESAR MILAN’S DOG WHISPERER (US) Nintendo DS™, PC
CSI NY (US) PC
CURLING (CANADA) Nintendo DS™
DRIVING TEST (Europe) Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ DANCE SQUAD (US) Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ * GYM ROCKETS Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ * HORSE RIDER Nintendo DS™, Wii™, PC
FALLOUT 3 (Europe) PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC
FAMILY FEST PRESENTS: CIRCUS GAMES Wii™
FAR CRY® 2 PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC
GUITAR ROCK TOUR Nintendo DS™
HAPPY COOKING™ 2 (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® ANIMAL HOSPITAL PC
IMAGINE® BALLET STAR (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® FASHION DESIGNER NEW YORK (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® FASHION PARTY Wii™
IMAGINE® INTERIOR DESIGNER Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE®MOVIE STAR (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® PARTY BABYZ® Wii™
IMAGINE® WEDDING DESIGNER Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER FIREMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER HANDYMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER POLICEMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
MARTIN MYSTERY (Europe) Nintendo DS™
MY FITNESS COACH™ (US) Wii™
MY FUN FACTS COACH (US) Nintendo DS™
MY JAPANESE COACH (US, UK, ANZ) Nintendo DS™
MY SPANISH COACH (US) PSP™
MY STOP SMOKING COACH WITH ALLEN CARR Nintendo DS™
MY STOP SMOKING COACH WITH ALLEN CARR (Europe) I-TOUCH
NARUTO™ THE BROKEN BOND Xbox 360™
NITROBIKE™ (US) PlayStation®2
PETZ® CATZ® CLAN Nintendo DS™
PETZ® CRAZY MONKEYZ Wii™
PETZ® DOGZ® PACK Nintendo DS™
PETZ® MONKEYZ HOUSE Nintendo DS™
PETZ® SPORTS PC, Wii™
PLANET RESCUE™ ANIMAL EMERGENCY (Europe) Nintendo DS™
PLANET RESCUE™ ENDANGERED ISLAND Nintendo DS™
PLANET RESCUE™ OCEAN PATROL Nintendo DS™

PLANET RESCUE™ WILDLIFE VET Wii™, Nintendo DS™
PLAY ZONE™ FUN FAIR™ PARTY (Europe) Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ MOVIE STUDIO FUN FAIR™ Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ SPORTS PARTY™ (Europe) Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ TV SHOW PARTY PLAYSTATION®3, Wii™
PRINCE OF PERSIA® PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, Nintendo DS™, PC
PUZZLER™ (Europe) Wii™
RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS® TV PARTY Wii™, Nintendo DS™
REAL FOOTBALL™ 2009 Nintendo DS™
SCRABBLE® 2009 (Europe) Nintendo DS™
SETTLERS® 6 GOLD (Europe) PC
SHAUN WHITE SNOWBOARDING PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, Wii™, PlayStation®2, PSP™, Nintendo DS™, PC
THE DOG ISLAND™ (US) PlayStation®2
TOM CLANCY’S END WAR™ PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PSP™, Nintendo DS™
TOTALLY SPIES 4 (Europe) Nintendo DS™
WAR WORLD (US) Xbox 360™XLA
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE 2 (Europe) Wii™, Nintendo DS™
WORDFISH™ Nintendo DS™
* IMAGINE® title in Europe

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/1827.pdf

Minsc

Gold Member
Q2 2008/09
Europe 65%
North America 29%
Rest of world 6%
TOTAL 100%

Wow, NA just got owned by Europe. Pretty nice sales, what is the average hardware/software ratio these days between NA and Europe?

dyls

Accident said:

Games Release Schedule

Third quarter (October – December 2008)
BATTLE OF GIANTS™ DINOSAURS Nintendo DS™
CESAR MILAN’S DOG WHISPERER (US) Nintendo DS™, PC
CURLING (CANADA) Nintendo DS™
DRIVING TEST (Europe) Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ DANCE SQUAD (US) Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ * GYM ROCKETS Nintendo DS™
ENER-G™ * HORSE RIDER Nintendo DS™, Wii™, PC
FAMILY FEST PRESENTS: CIRCUS GAMES Wii™
GUITAR ROCK TOUR Nintendo DS™
HAPPY COOKING™ 2 (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® BALLET STAR (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® FASHION DESIGNER NEW YORK (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® FASHION PARTY Wii™
IMAGINE® INTERIOR DESIGNER Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE®MOVIE STAR (US) Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE® PARTY BABYZ® Wii™
IMAGINE® WEDDING DESIGNER Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER FIREMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER HANDYMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
JAKE POWER POLICEMAN (Europe) Nintendo DS™
MARTIN MYSTERY (Europe) Nintendo DS™
MY FITNESS COACH™ (US) Wii™
MY FUN FACTS COACH (US) Nintendo DS™
MY JAPANESE COACH (US, UK, ANZ) Nintendo DS™
PETZ® CATZ® CLAN Nintendo DS™
PETZ® CRAZY MONKEYZ Wii™
PETZ® DOGZ® PACK Nintendo DS™
PETZ® MONKEYZ HOUSE Nintendo DS™
PETZ® SPORTS PC, Wii™
PLANET RESCUE™ ANIMAL EMERGENCY (Europe) Nintendo DS™
PLANET RESCUE™ ENDANGERED ISLAND Nintendo DS™
PLANET RESCUE™ OCEAN PATROL Nintendo DS™
PLANET RESCUE™ WILDLIFE VET Wii™, Nintendo DS™
PLAY ZONE™ FUN FAIR™ PARTY (Europe) Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ MOVIE STUDIO FUN FAIR™ Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ SPORTS PARTY™ (Europe) Wii™
PLAY ZONE™ TV SHOW PARTY PLAYSTATION®3, Wii™
PUZZLER™ (Europe) Wii™
RAYMAN RAVING RABBIDS® TV PARTY Wii™, Nintendo DS™
REAL FOOTBALL™ 2009 Nintendo DS™
SCRABBLE® 2009 (Europe) Nintendo DS™
TOTALLY SPIES 4 (Europe) Nintendo DS™
WHO WANTS TO BE A MILLIONAIRE 2 (Europe) Wii™, Nintendo DS™
WORDFISH™ Nintendo DS™

OH. MY GOD.

Nintendo should seriously just stop allowing Ubisoft to make games for their systems. A couple of shovelware titles is one thing, this is a fucking deluge. It seriously can only hurt a console's perception, and really looks like predatory development. Seriously, what would we lose if Nintendo denied Ubisoft totally? A half-assed snowboarding game and a downgraded port of POP. I can live with that tradeoff.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Minsc said:
Wow, NA just got owned by Europe. Pretty nice sales, what is the average hardware/software ratio these days between NA and Europe?
The Crap for DS is just sellin better here........nothing else.

Breakdown of sales by platform
Nintendo DS™ 39%
PC 6%
PlayStation®2 1%
PLAYSTATION®3 20%
PSP™ 2%
Wii™ 11%
XBOX 360™ 20%
TOTAL 100%
Seems like they've been massive on getting the Imagine Impulse Buying crowd with DS, and getting a hefty core bite from each of the HD consoles, but haven't managed to find the same route to success on Wii.

o_O

Looks like Brothers in Arms did a lot for them this quarter with SCIV EU release doing good as well. BiA probably did better in EU then it did in the US.

Minsc said:

Keep in mind that Ubisoft publishes some titles in Europe that are published by other companies in the US, and that means they don't get the profit for those particular titles in NA. I would wager that the majority of the discrepancy between the two regions sales is because of that. If not the majority, then certainly a significant portion.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Accident said:
Next week for Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft report is out this afternoon
Good, hope the untitled Kirby game is still mentioned again. If not, more hope for Kirby Wii is lost ;-;

dyls said:
OH. MY GOD.

Nintendo should seriously just stop allowing Ubisoft to make games for their systems. A couple of shovelware titles is one thing, this is a fucking deluge. It seriously can only hurt a console's perception, and really looks like predatory development. Seriously, what would we lose if Nintendo denied Ubisoft totally? A half-assed snowboarding game and a downgraded port of POP. I can live with that tradeoff.
I completely agree. I know Nintendo were Nazis back in the day and I wish for companies like Ubishit, they still were Nazis about what can and can't be on their consoles.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dyls said:
OH. MY GOD.

I gagged when I saw the list. Fuck you Ubisoft. If Ancel could just take Rayman and BG&E away and form his own company, I'd never buy another Ubi game again

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Accident said:

I know it seems stupid, but it was Allen Carr's book, "The Easy Way to Stop Smoking", that ended my nicotine habit.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
dyls said:
OH. MY GOD.

The problem is that Nintendo still makes a ton of money if crap games like that sell well...

HK-47 said:
I gagged when I saw the list. Fuck you Ubisoft. If Ancel could just take Rayman and BG&E away and form his own company, I'd never buy another Ubi game again

I learned a while ago not to buy anything UBI releases on the wii.

I got a PS3 for my POP and BG&E fix

UBI is dead to me

Spiegel

JoshuaJSlone said:
Seems like they've been massive on getting the Imagine Impulse Buying crowd with DS, and getting a hefty core bite from each of the HD consoles, but haven't managed to find the same route to success on Wii.

http://www.ubisoftgroup.com/gallery_files/site/270/1042/1765.pdf

JULY-SEPTEMBER RELEASES

Title Release Schedule
Second Quarter (July – September 2008)
MY SECRET WORLD BY IMAGINE™
Nintendo DS™
MY SAT COACH (US)
Nintendo DS™
SILENT HUNTER®: WOLVES OF THE PACIFIC GOLD EDITION (US)
PC
QUICK YOGA TRAINING
Nintendo DS™
THE SETTLERS® II TRADITION EDITION 2008
(Some European countries)
PC
IMAGINE™ BABYSITTERS® (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
BROTHERS IN ARMS HELL’S HIGHWAY™
PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™, PC
BROTHERS IN ARMS® DOUBLE TIME
Wii™
IMAGINE ™ FASHION MODEL 2008 (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
PETZ FASHION DOGZ™ (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
ENER-GTM MODERN DANCER (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE ™ TEACHER
Nintendo DS™
ARMORED CORE™ FOR ANSWER
Xbox 360™, PLAYSTATION®3
HELL’S KITCHEN ™
Nintendo DS™, PC, Wii™
IMAGINE ™ GIRLS BAND (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
IMAGINE ™ FIGURE SKATER (Europe)
Nintendo DS™
SCHOLASTIC ANIMAL GENIUS™(Europe)
Nintendo DS™
PUZZLER ™ (Some European Countries and Australia)
Nintendo DS™, PSP™,
Wii™, PC
SOULCALIBUR LEGENDS (Europe)
Wii™
SOULCALIBUR IV (Europe)
PLAYSTATION®3, Xbox 360™
SPORT PARTY ™ (Europe)
Wii™
CURLING (Canada)
Nintendo DS™
PETZ DOGZ 2® (Some European Countries)
Nintendo DS™
CSI SUPERPACK (US)
PC
THE PRICE IS RIGHT
Nintendo DS™, Wii™
Page

NDS = 16 = 39%
Wii = 6 = 11%
PC = 6 = 6%
PS3 = 3 = 20 %
X360 = 3 = 20 %
PSP = 1 = 2%
PS2 = 0 = 1%

And the Wii games are:
- THE PRICE IS RIGHT
- SOULCALIBUR LEGENDS (Europe)
- HELL’S KITCHEN ™
- PUZZLER ™ (Some European Countries and Australia)
- BROTHERS IN ARMS® DOUBLE TIME
- SPORT PARTY ™ (Europe)

= 11%

They are doing pretty good on Wii with these games :p

dyls

HK-47 said:

Their output for the PS360 is fine. Most of the games are great, and even the titles that haven't been stellar have at least been ambitious and mostly original; they've gotten adequate development time and resources and helped fill holes in the consoles' respective libraries.

But to release 7 Imagine games for the DS in three months? It almost seems like they are fighting back against Nintendo's disruption—if they flood the market with crappy games, maybe the public will grow tired of the Wii and DS and move to the HD consoles where they belong. Either that or they just figure the Wii and DS will lose popularity soon anyway and they might as well squeeze every last dime out of them before they do. It just seems incredibly irresponsible for a major publisher to push so much crap out. Imagine you were a buyer for Best Buy, and have limited retail space. How many of these 50+ DS games will you buy, and how could you possibly know which ones to pick?

Nintendo-like quality, etc., etc.

dyls said:
OH. MY GOD.

But those DS games actually sell, which means a lot of licensing fees (as well as cartridge manufacturing fees?) for Nintendo. We also have to remember that Nintendo was happy with a lot of Ubisoft's casual offerings like My Word Coach, because they continue to expand the market. Ubisoft is also one of the few third parties that seems to be supporting the balance board as well.

I'm sure Nintendo isn't happy with Imagine Baby Party *shudder*, but Ubisoft is going to have to cut that shit off themselves eventually. Their shovelware is not selling on the Wii the way it has on the DS, and shareholders are going to start asking why the number one platform is only providing 11% of the companies revenue... or so I've been telling myself.

Kafel

Banned
Accident said:
Update on the games release schedule
In view of the good first-half trends and the positive outlook for the third quarter, Ubisoft has decided that Anno™ as well as the as-yet unannounced franchise which were previously scheduled to be released in 2008-09 will now bolster the line-up for 2009-10.

So something else than Splinter Cell/BG&E/Alive ?

dyls said:
But to release 7 Imagine games for the DS in three months? It almost seems like they are fighting back against Nintendo's disruption—if they flood the market with crappy games, maybe the public will grow tired of the Wii and DS and move to the HD consoles where they belong.

It's amazing to think a company would actually try to do something like that, but more and more evidence for this hypothesis piles up every day.

dyls said:
Either that or they just figure the Wii and DS will lose popularity soon anyway and they might as well squeeze every last dime out of them before they do.

This seems more plausible, but it doesn't make the managers at Ubisoft seem any more intelligent. I wonder if high ranking game execs still think Wii is a fad?

dyls said:
It just seems incredibly irresponsible for a major publisher to push so much crap out. Imagine you were a buyer for Best Buy, and have limited retail space. How many of these 50+ DS games will you buy, and how could you possibly know which ones to pick?

Now think about how many interesting/quirky/innovative indie titles are losing the battle for shelf space with these games, then start crying.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
If nintendo told Ubisoft to stop making shitty games thered be an 80 page thread about how nintendo are nazis :lol

SovanJedi said:
Sadly it's just some supposed expert, and not the comedian.
The name didn't even stick out to me, just the concept of a "training" type game for quitting smoking.

Perhaps it could come with a Nicotine Pak. (DSi-incompatible)

Accident

From the ubisoft conference call, yes i have nothing to do today :/

38% sales coming from casuals.
Casuals games: more marketing, less development

Brothers in Arms
+1 million shipped, Selling very good in the UK
Expected sales 1.0~1.5 original expectation 1.5-2.0

When talking about developing expenses, they named splinter cell, it's not dead!

Last Year games:
Assasin Creed, +5Million
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 +1 million
Haze wasn't expected to big, it did as expected.

Far Cry 2 , PoP and Shaun White expected sales 2-3 million, Rayman 3 and EndWar +1 million.

Expected install base for all consoles this holiday to be bigger than they estimated.

Ubisoft bigger than Nintendo in DS sales in the UK, for the last two week

Accident said:
From the ubisoft conference call, yes i have nothing to do today :/

38% sales coming from casuals.
Casuals games: more marketing, less development

Brothers in Arms
+1 million shipped, Selling very good in the UK
Expected sales 1.0~1.5 original expectation 1.5-2.0

When talking about developing expenses, they named splinter cell, it's not dead!

Last Year games:
Assasin Creed, +5Million
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2 +1 million
Haze wasn't expected to big, it did as expected.

Far Cry 2 , PoP and Shaun White expected sales 2-3 million, Rayman 3 and EndWar +1 million.

Expected install base for all consoles this holiday to be bigger than they estimated.

Ubisoft bigger than Nintendo in DS sales in the UK, for the last two week

Wow BiA did pretty good.

gtj1092

And here I thought UBI was suppose to be going out of business. But strangely they continue to rake in the cash. Maybe they don't need to hire GAFers after all.:lol

jrricky

Banned
dyls said:
But to release 7 Imagine games for the DS in three months? It almost seems like they are fighting back against Nintendo's disruption—if they flood the market with crappy games, maybe the public will grow tired of the Wii and DS and move to the HD consoles where they belong.
What does this mean? Reread what you wrote again......

Accident

Microsoft Reports Record First-Quarter Revenue

Revenue surpasses $15 billion with healthy sales of enterprise software and Xbox 360 consoles

REDMOND, Wash. — October 23, 2008 — Microsoft Corp. today announced revenue of $15.06 billion for the fiscal quarter ended Sept. 30, 2008, a 9% increase over the same period of the prior year. Operating income, net income and diluted earnings per share for the quarter were $6.00 billion, $4.37 billion and $0.48, respectively.

Microsoft showed particular strength in multiyear annuity sales, which grew more than 20% during the quarter from the combined businesses of Client, Microsoft Business Division and Server and Tools.

"Our customers are asking how they can save money and do more with less," said Kevin Turner, chief operating officer at Microsoft. "Microsoft is uniquely positioned to help our customers save money through supplier consolidation, increased productivity, and a low total cost of ownership through the depth and breadth of our product portfolio and solutions."

Microsoft continued to add to its product and services portfolio with innovative offerings such as Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 and the first service update to Microsoft Dynamics CRM Online.

"In a challenging economic environment, the first-quarter results exhibit the strength and diversity of our business model," said Chris Liddell, chief financial officer of Microsoft.

Business Outlook

Microsoft’s business outlook reflects a balance of risks and the likelihood of a continued economic slowdown. The trends seen late in the first-quarter are now forecasted to continue, whereas previous expectations were for the economy to improve in the second half of the fiscal year. In this economic environment, the company is focused on three main actions; working with customers to provide high value products at the lowest total overall cost of ownership, increasing focus on expense management and targeting investment into the highest priority strategic opportunities.

MICROSOFT CORPORATION

SEGMENT REVENUE AND OPERATING INCOME (LOSS)
(In millions)(Unaudited)

Three Months Ended
September 30,

SEGMENT REVENUE 2008 2007

2008 2007
Entertainment and Devices Division 1,814 1,929

OPERATING INCOME
2008 2007
Entertainment and Devices Division 178 167

abl8c0.png

C.T.

jrricky said:
What does this mean? Reread what you wrote again......

Ubisoft will release 7 imagine games in a span of three month. even for the short developing length its like flooding the market. What he wrote was an attempt to explain their reasoning.

CaptainABAB

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=2830

Sony has just slashed its earnings forecast for the 2008 fiscal year by almost $1 billion. Sony now predicts earnings to be in the region of 150 billion yen, or $1.5 billion, down from a forecast issued in July of 240 billion yen, or $2.4 billion.

Areas that Sony predict will be down include:

Flat-screen TVs
Digital cameras
Video cameras

Interestingly, the company doesn’t mention games consoles.

Top Bottom