• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next handheld - it can't be far off can it?

SantaC

If we don't count Game & Watch, these are the timeframes Nintendo has released their handhelds, starting with the original Gameboy in 1989.

As you can see, the gap between the gameboy and virtual boy is the longest time it took to release a new handheld. (6 years)

Then after that, you start to see a more consistant pattern. Every new iteration or handheld only had 2-3 years between them; and from 2003-2006, there was yearly releases of new handheld hardware from Nintendo.

Now in 2008, there is actually 2 years since something was released. It's of course due to the massive success of DS lite. Nintendo doesn't need to rush out anything new, but I guess it is not farfetched to assume they will reveal their next handheld soon. I would be surprised if we don't see the successor to DS released in 2009.

First Iteration Gameboy

Available: 1989

175px-Gameboy.jpg

Virtual Boy

Available: 1995

180px-Virtualboycontroller.JPG

Gameboy Pocket

Available: 1996

100px-Game_boy_pocket.png

Gameboy Color

Available: 1998

200px-Game_Boy_Color.png

First Iteration Gameboy Advance

Available: 2001

250px-Gameboy_Advance_On.png

Gameboy Advance SP

Available: 2003

180px-Game_Boy_Advance_SP.jpg

First iteration Nintendo DS

Available: 2004

250px-NintendoDS_Warm.jpg

Gameboy Advance Micro

Available: 2005

250px-GBmicrofront.JPG

Nintendo DS lite

Available: 2006

250px-DSLite_white_trans.png

gutshot

I don't know, based on Iwata's recent comments it seems they are perfectly content to wait to release their next handheld as long as the DS continues to sell like it does.

batbeg

It better be, I don't like the idea of buying new hardware every few years. Besides, your generations are clearly askewed by the inclusion of things which weren't generation leaps (DS Lite) or were alternative attempts (Virtual Boy).

I imagine the DS will still be riding success until at least 2010, though we MAY see sign of it's successor next year (doubtful, though, given Iwata's statement about how hardware needs to last longer).

Struct09

SantaC said:
I would be surprised if we don't see the successor to DS released in 2009.

I wouldn't. I think Nintendo will find ways to keep the DS momentum going rather than coming out with a new system.

I don't doubt that they're working on a new handheld, but I do doubt they'll even show it any time soon.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
The DS Lite is still like a giant cock fucking the sales charts, and until it starts to loose wood, there won't be a new one.

NME

I'm sure that history will prove me a fool on this one, but with the DS doing ridiculous business and with it's technology being reasonably strong for the foreseeable future, I think that the time between the DS' release and the next Nintendo handheld's release would be more like the time between the release of the original Gameboy and the release of Gameboy Color.

Not 9 years, mind you, but closer to 9 than the every-year pace of releases since the SP.

Or maybe they will announce that new DS at this year's E3 and I'll be proven an idiot very shortly.

Ranger X

Why should i care about history and calculations? Why Nintendo should?

Nintendo side --- DS is going very well and still climbing. = no need for a new machine.

My side --- My DS is super cool and i'm waiting for lots of games. = no need for a new machine.

The Hermit

Well I still think the DS hasn't showed all its potential yet, and I am still waiting for Metroid DS, but it wouldn't be too far fetched a new handheld soon. Hopefully near-gamecube like graphics.

NME said:
I'm sure that history will prove me a fool on this one, but with the DS doing ridiculous business and with it's technology being reasonably strong for the foreseeable future, I think that the time between the DS' release and the next Nintendo handheld's release would be more like the time between the release of the original Gameboy and the release of Gameboy Color.

Not 9 years, mind you, but closer to 9 than the every-year pace of releases since the SP.

Or maybe they will announce that new DS at this year's E3 and I'll be proven an idiot very shortly.

Thinking more about it I think you're right about the Ds having a life closer to the original gameboy than the Gambeboy advanced. I was basing my previous answer in the lifetime of the GBA and it was surprisingly short in comparison to the GB.
So yeah no new handlheld hopefully.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
I can imagine Nintendo racking their brains for more innovative technological hooks as we speak.

We've had touch-screen, IR pointers, waggle, microphones... where can it go from here without crossing covered ground? Surely it cant just be a DS with Gamecube graphics.

ZeoVGM

Banned
SantaC said:
Game Boy

Available: 1989

175px-Gameboy.jpg

Game Boy Color

Available: 1998

200px-Game_Boy_Color.png

Game Boy Advance

Available: 2001

250px-Gameboy_Advance_On.png

Nintendo DS

Available: 2004

250px-NintendoDS_Warm.jpg

There you go. I fixed it for you.

That is the ONLY true timeline of Nintendo portables.

Virtual Boy doesn't count and neither do remodels.

Somnid

The DS still has another year and a half. Granted Nintendo's new talk makes it sound like they won't upgrade for the sake of it so it might be a little longer. I do expect some ramblings come E3 time though.

Xater

Just came here for:

Virtual Boy...a handheld....:lol :lol :lol

PS: DS is making a shitton of money I doubt we will here stuff about a new system soon.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Ranger X said:
Why should i care about history and calculations? Why Nintendo should?

Nintendo side --- DS is going very well and still climbing. = no need for a new machine.

My side --- My DS is super cool and i'm waiting for lots of games. = no need for a new machine.

You'd be silly to think they aren't already working on their next handheld.

ksamedi

I'm still standing by my prediction that Nintendo will release a DS2 somewhere between 2012 and 2014. Would be perfect timing if you asked me. There is so much to be explored on the DS.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Nintendo likes to release redesigns more than new systems.

Let's see, Gameboy.. followed by the 'Play It Loud' series, and the Gameboy Pocket.

Gameboy Colour had about a billion colours and special editions.

Gameboy Advance spawned the SP, and the Micro.

Nintendo DS, followed by the DS Lite.

Uh, but all that said, I think we're instore for another redesign for the DS. Possibly adding something (on-board memory.. thinner with losing the GBA port.. analog would be handy..).

I would say 2011 at best for the 'new' system, that'll still support original DS games, no doubt. Nintendo will also want to integrate it in with the new upcoming home console even more so than the DS to the Wii, so this is another reason we won't be seeing it for at least a few more years.

mollipen

Lots of improvements that can be made to the DS, but really, they don't need another actually new handheld yet. DS still has a lot of life left in it, no reason to cut its life short.

Ranger X

Kodiak said:
You'd be silly to think they aren't already working on their next handheld.

They could be (and probably are). This doesn't have to do with what i said. It's not because they are thinking/preparing their next move that they should show/talk about it.
I would doubt they hint a replacement for DS up until the support will slow down and sales will show some fatigue. And there's even room for price drops too.

SantaC

Personally I think DS has pretty much maxed out its capabilities. I'd love to see a new one coming soon. I love my DS, but the 3D games are often a blurry mess. I prefer 2D ones, but developers still put out a lot of 3D ones.

Personally I anticipate the next DS.

If it includes one new thing, it had better be a Virtual Handheld service. And include old Gameboy games in the database.

DO IT NINTENDO

ksamedi

Chris Michael said:
Personally I anticipate the next DS.

If it includes one new thing, it had better be a Virtual Handheld service. And include old Gameboy games in the database.

DO IT NINTENDO

You wouldn't need a new DS for that. A flash card would be enough.

Ranger X

SantaC said:
Personally I think DS has pretty much maxed out its capabilities. I'd love to see a new one coming soon. I love my DS, but the 3D games are often a blurry mess. I prefer 2D ones, but developers still put out a lot of 3D ones.

And dis ^^^

The longer DS lives, the longer 2D lives. DS forever!!

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SantaC said:

Agreed, but as long as the sales keep up Nintendo has little reason to release a new handheld ASAP. Gameboy was long overdue from a technical standpoint, and Nintendo didn't move on that for years. Virtual Boy less a successor and more of a (desperate, rushed) move for Nintendo to try to squeeze something out in the wait between the SNES and Nintendo 64 as Sony/Sega had a huge head start.

And all the more reason for the DS to stay as it is right now. Once developers actually have decent hardware to work with, in terms of rendering polygons, you can kiss any hope of classic 2D games goodbye.

ksamedi said:
You wouldn't need a new DS for that. A flash card would be enough.

I know. I've thought of that before, I even made a post about it a long time ago. But it's too logical for Nintendo to do, so they'll probably release a whole new system to do it.

Chris R

Digital would be sweet, but the thing is Nintendo doesn't have the balls to go 100% digital... It would be sweet to just jump on the internet, buy my next game, download it and have it on some flash storage in a few mins. Would even be better if I could put all my VC games on it as well :(

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The DS isn't even close to a $99.99 price drop and you already want a new handheld out? The DS can go as it is for a long time still, sure we may see a redesign in some form, but generally times are different now.

I really do want another handheld. I hope they will at least tease it at E3 (no need to release until 2009, just want to see what they are going for).

I mean, DS was made when Nintendo was in the red and now that they are rolling big, they could really do some crazy awesome stuff with this handheld (not virtual boy crazy). I am curious to see how they go about it considering that if they do make it graphically on par or better with PSP, it will start getting close to the Wii in terms graphics (well, Iron Man DS looks better than Iron Man Wii, but that is just one of those things.)

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
SantaC's point of reaching the technical peak is true, in my opinion.

This topic should be called; Why do developers force the Nintendo DS to display horrific 3D graphics? Is the death of 2D gaming on handhelds far off?

batbeg

I just got to thinking, do Nintendo take their sweet ass time doing R&D? N64, Cube, Wii, and DS were all arguably rushed out or late out to the market, and they've all either suffered against the competition either technically or financially because of it. What the hell is their R&D group doing (besides making star-shaped controllers)?

jarrod

Banned
Eh, I wouldn't say DS 3D has reached it's "technical peak"... most 3D games look Saturn level and the hardware's much more capable than that overall. Hell, it bests N64 and PS1 overall too.

I wouldn't say it's even reached it's "technical peak" in terms of 2D honestly... though I haven't played Bangai-O Spirits yet. <3 <3

SantaC

Kafel said:
7 years.

How do the sales of the NDS compare with those of the GB ?

eh sure I know Virtual Boy was a failure, but it still was released and a handheld (though it doesnt looks like it)

MisterHero

batbeg said:
I just got to thinking, do Nintendo take their sweet ass time doing R&D? N64, Cube, Wii, and DS were all arguably rushed out or late out to the market, and they've all either suffered against the competition either technically or financially because of it. What the hell is their R&D group doing (besides making star-shaped controllers)?
achieving a balance between technical power and manufacturing costs, not for superiority in any area

considering this, they have never suffered financially.

I would contest that the HD consoles were released way too soon.

Nintendo will take their sweet sweet time. They don't need to bring out new hardware but I could see it happening in a few years. I'd like to see portable VC come before the end of the year.

batbeg said:
Figuring out the next best way to play.

batbeg

MisterHero said:
considering this, they have never suffered financially.

I don't think they were too happy about selling half what their previous console sold, and while they may not have dipped into the red they clearly suffered. It just seems weird that the DS is either late (N64, Cube) or arguably rushed (Wii, DS). Why can't they be feature-ready and early?

Top Bottom