• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's next handheld - it can't be far off can it?

MisterHero

batbeg said:
I don't think they were too happy about selling half what their previous console sold, and while they may not have dipped into the red they clearly suffered. It just seems weird that the DS is either late (N64, Cube) or arguably rushed (Wii, DS). Why can't they be feature-ready and early?
You could argue that their 'failure' was more of a commercial one, but ~21 million is still pretty good and they still made a ton of money. Their totals have decreased since the NES since the mounting competition (from just Sega to Sega/Sony to Sony/MS).

But given how much the GC slowed compared to the PS2 I don't think they could've waited any longer with the Wii. And they've just surpassed the GC, so that's good news.

batbeg

MisterHero said:
But given how much the GC slowed compared to the PS2 I don't think they could've waited any longer with the Wii. And they've just surpassed the GC, so that's good news.

That's what I'm saying, they've either had to wait too long or have technical limits put in, is all. It just seems odd.

dacuk

Cataferal said:
I can imagine Nintendo racking their brains for more innovative technological hooks as we speak.

We've had touch-screen, IR pointers, waggle, microphones... where can it go from here without crossing covered ground? Surely it cant just be a DS with Gamecube graphics.

I'll be quite happy if I could use my GameCube disks on the new Nintendo portable.

The sales numbers for the DS says we have at least another year. Plus isn't DQ9 coming out this year? Won't that drive a ton of sales?

Zyzyxxz

Kodiak said:
The DS Lite is still like a giant cock fucking the sales charts, and until it starts to loose wood, there won't be a new one.

lol, not as eloquently as I would have said it but in an economic sense I would have to agree. :lol

DS hasn't even had a price drop yet.

I agree that we could see a new DS revision in Japan, which (if properly awesome) could help get sales back up, this year or early next. But the next generation of handhelds? I bet Sony launches before Nintendo.

You need to look at how the market actually works before you can speculate about when a company will release a new hardware revision.

The life cycle of a console involves a large expenditure -- negative cash flow -- at the beginning, in order to pay for R&D, initial manufacturing, pre-launch advertising, launch game development, etc. As a generation wears on, operating a console hardware business becomes more profitable -- your systems become cheaper to make, your install base gets bigger (which means you sell more total software), etc. In addition, your level of success is generally set fairly early on -- you don't tend to move much up or down the ranks past the first two years you're on the market.

Launching a new console resets everything -- you get a totally new level of success, at the cost of losing your old revenue stream and going through a new negative cash-flow launch period. So, generally, one only does this at a time when you expect that a totally new market will be more desirable than the current one:

* People have started to abandon your system as too old and busted, so you want to kickstart sales.

* A competitor is launching a new system, which will almost inevitably draw away some of your consumers.

* You're losing software support for some reason.

* You're losing, so jumpstarting the next generation gives you a chance to beat the competition.

* Some external factor makes your current situation less profitable than it should be -- like the original Xbox, which was weighted down by a manufacturing/licensing situation that kept the price excessively high.

What you might note about these factors is that none of them apply to the DS. The system and its games are selling like Pepto Bismol to tourists in Mexico, both hardware and software are individually profitable, there's tons of third party support -- and because the PSP is proving wildly profitable for Sony right now (and helping to offset the costs of the PS3 business) their only competitor isn't likely to launch a new system soon either. There is literally no reason for Nintendo to even hint at launching a new system, when right now the system is in the sweet spot of constant profit with little work.

You can take all that, and add it to Iwata's repeated statements that he would prefer the company to launch new hardware as rarely as possible -- and then note that neither the DS nor the Wii are going to die due to looking "outdated" any time soon, since both already looked outdated and graphically weak when they launched -- all of which makes it quite clear that unless there's a currently unpredictable shift in the market soon, there's no reason to expect a new DS before 2011.

Kobun Heat said:
I agree that we could see a new DS revision in Japan, which (if properly awesome) could help get sales back up, this year or early next. But the next generation of handhelds? I bet Sony launches before Nintendo.

Yep. And now that the PSP is also officially a profitable success (for Sony, if not necessarily for software developers) I don't know why they'd do it before 2010.

Redd

Too early imo, I don't want to have to buy another new handheld until at least fall of next year.

DeaconKnowledge said:
Jesus people, stop calling for a new handheld. The DS has just hit its stride.

Yeah, but Nintendo sure acts like they are phasing it out with their lack of DS software lately. Some people blame Wii resources taking up the DS resources but that should be no excuse.

MisterHero

perfectchaos007 said:
Yeah, but Nintendo sure acts like they are phasing it out with their lack of DS software lately. Some people blame Wii resources taking up the DS resources but that should be no excuse.
Yes it should, especially when the Wii is getting more shit non-Nintendo support than good.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Ugh, this thread reminds me what a shitty Game Boy the GB Color was. After the sleek Game Boy Pocket it was big and bulky. The color games were crap and felt even more 8-bit in color. And it was in goddamn ugly rainbow colors only.

Nintendo's portables have a shitty/awesome cycle

Game Boy (shitty)
Game Boy Pocket (awesome)
Game Boy Color (shitty)
Game Boy Advance (shitty)
Game Boy Advance SP (awesome)
Nintendo DS (shitty)
Nintendo DS Lite (awesome)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Linkzg said:
I really do want another handheld. I hope they will at least tease it at E3 (no need to release until 2009, just want to see what they are going for).

I mean, DS was made when Nintendo was in the red and now that they are rolling big, they could really do some crazy awesome stuff with this handheld (not virtual boy crazy). I am curious to see how they go about it considering that if they do make it graphically on par or better with PSP, it will start getting close to the Wii in terms graphics (well, Iron Man DS looks better than Iron Man Wii, but that is just one of those things.)

lol

You think think they are gonna go crazy on the graphics? After the success of the Wii and DS?

aeolist

Banned
Kodiak said:
You'd be silly to think they aren't already working on their next handheld.
They were probably working on it less than a year after the DS launched. They've always said they start designing the new one right after a hardware launch.

But they'd also be retarded to show it anytime soon.

Kevin

With the DS still continuing to sell as well as it is, I don't expect to see a new handheld that isn't a DS rehash for at least another year and a half if not longer.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Chittagong said:
Ugh, this thread reminds me what a shitty Game Boy the GB Color was. After the sleek Game Boy Pocket it was big and bulky. The color games were crap and felt even more 8-bit in color. And it was in goddamn ugly rainbow colors only.

Game Boy (shitty)
Game Boy Color (shitty)
Nintendo DS (shitty)
I can't believe you just called the original Game Boy shitty.

Tobor

Kobun Heat said:

Leave it to the pro's to explain it up right, kids.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Chittagong said:

Game Boy (shitty)
Game Boy Color (shitty)
Nintendo DS (shitty)

This post is full of insanity.

The GBP is probably the worst remodel of a system yet.

What does the GBP have over the brick boy?

Slightly improved picture.

What are some of the other "features" of the GBP?

No battery indicator on the first few production runs.

Worse sound.

Less than half the battery life with the two AAA as opposed to the four AAs.

The GBC however is a great remodel. Runs about as long as the original on two AAs. Full color screen. New games, silly infra red port.

Some of the end game GBC games are fuck amazing. Mega Man Xtreme, Metal Gear Solid, Mario Golf, Mario Tennis. None of these could be done on the pocket or brickboy.

Back on topic though.

Yes they are obviously working on the next gen system. That's what they do.

We ain't seeing it this decade though. I'm thinking early 2011.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
Sales aren't so bad both hardware and software wise that Nintendo needs to pull the trigger. At least 2-3 years from now.

nintendo's put themselves in a tricky position in terms of following up the DS, whether the successor comes out tomarrow or 5 years from now. they got insanely lucky with the portable and protacting its success will take a lot of careful planning

they may do like with gameboy in the 90s, and have incremental upgrades to the DS. or the r&d may dream up something genious, but what could they do at this point? touch, waggle, microphone.... all bases seem covered.

another thing, its not an immediate threat, but mobile gaming is catching on. apple is now technically into gaming, and who knows how far they'll go with it. so maybe in order to not get phased out in the next decade nintendo will have to go the multimedia route...?

Shins

Banned
I don't expect to see a new handheld until 2010. An announced DS revision around or some time after E3 this year, released in the fall or early 2009 seems more plausible, if only to further widen Nintendo's profit margins with a cheaper-to-produce model.

I don't think they have much other incentive to mess with what is working right now.

PSP2 in 2009 or never, though.

ZeoVGM

Banned
jarrod said:
DS revsion = 2009/2010
DS successor = 2011/2012

Okay now you guys are being silly.

There will be a new Nintendo handheld in either fall 2009 or fall 2010.

Look at the time frame between GBA and DS.

This isn't the 90's. Portables aren't going to have an 8-10 year lifetime.

batbeg

omg rite said:

The time frame between the GBA and DS only exists, according to a lot of people, because of the PSP. I don't know how true it is, but I've heard a number of people suggest that the DS was pushed out to compete against the PSP (aka the "GBA killer"), under the pretense of it being a third pillar. The DS is doing successfully, there's no reason for it to be succeeded. Hardware and software wise, it's financially stable and destroying records.

camineet

Banned
omg rite said:

A new revision of DS within the next 6 to 18 months, yes.

A next-gen DS2 or totally new handheld, not for another 2.5 years, fall 2010 at the soonest.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
If you look at the absolute great games that came out in 2005 and 2006 you'd know for a fact that the GBA still had some juice left.

Rpgmonkey

I think the next one will be shown in maybe late 2009 to sometime in 2010. 2011 if they feel the DS is still worthwhile to keep around a little longer.

Don't really see the DS staying any longer than that though myself.

Gaborn

Tyrone Slothrop said:
nintendo's put themselves in a tricky position in terms of following up the DS, whether the successor comes out tomarrow or 5 years from now. they got insanely lucky with the portable and protacting its success will take a lot of careful planning

they may do like with gameboy in the 90s, and have incremental upgrades to the DS. or the r&d may dream up something genious, but what could they do at this point? touch, waggle, microphone.... all bases seem covered.

another thing, its not an immediate threat, but mobile gaming is catching on. apple is now technically into gaming, and who knows how far they'll go with it. so maybe in order to not get phased out in the next decade nintendo will have to go the multimedia route...?

Dude. They designed it to sell. It sold. Nintendo Handhelds (well, except the Micro) ALWAYS sell extremely well. You can call DS's success many, many things, but LUCKY? maybe "above expectations" but.... LUCKY?

nestea

I could see a redesign for Japan soon since sales have slowed down, but I don't think NA/PAL will see the redesign for some time.

Christine

Man God said:
What does the GBP have over the brick boy?

Slightly improved picture.

What are some of the other "features" of the GBP?

No battery indicator on the first few production runs.

Worse sound.

Less than half the battery life with the two AAA as opposed to the four AAs.

Hey, let's be fair to the GBP here when counting the positives.

+Bigger screen
+Vastly improved picture in comparison to original GB (especially wrt ghosting/streaking)
+Lighter weight alone makes it much more ergonomic
+Faster CPU reduces or eliminates slowdown in games that were demanding on the hardware (e.g. Link's Awakening)

Man God said:
If you look at the absolute great games that came out in 2005 and 2006 you'd know for a fact that the GBA still had some juice left.

This is very true. Nintendo deliberately killed it to make more room for the DS.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Yeah, I'm being a bit harsh on the pocket. I think the shitty speaker and the lack of a battery light on the three versions of it I still have kinda mark it in my mind. It's only a slight revision when compared to the Color though, as that thing is really amazing.

omg rite said:

DS to have 20 year lifespan confirmed.

HK-47 said:
lol

You think think they are gonna go crazy on the graphics? After the success of the Wii and DS?

No way. I mean, obviously they will try to improve the 3D from the shit the DS has, I am just saying if they do.

andthebeatgoeson

They just sold 28 million units last year and haven't dropped the price in some regions. So, they'll probably launch a new one this year.

Christine

Man God said:
Yeah, I'm being a bit harsh on the pocket. I think the shitty speaker and the lack of a battery light on the three versions of it I still have kinda mark it in my mind. It's only a slight revision when compared to the Color though, as that thing is really amazing.

GBC was awesome, but it's a pain in the ass to categorize. I usually credit it as a new hardware iteration because there are games that require a GBC and won't play on prior GameBoys, but the "GBC Enhanced" software like LA DX, Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal confuse things a bit. And then there are the Super GameBoy enhanced games to make things even more complicated.

You forgot the Gameboy Light - the best Gameboy variant with a beautiful Indiglo screen.

http://www.vidgame.net/NINTENDO/gb_light.htm

The Gameboy had 3 hardware revisions (original, pocket, and light) - 4 if you count the colour

The Gameboy Advance had 3 hardware revisions (original, SP, Micro) - 4 if you count the improved backlight SP

So expect the DS to have at least one more hardware revision left in it. In fact they could roll out "next generation" features like onboard storage or motion sensing without changing the basic hardware if they really wanted to.

Remember guys, the DS is just a third pillar. It is not the GBA's successor. Expect the GB Evolution soon or some shit.

ReggieShrug.gif

Kobun Heat said:

BELIEVE

Slavik81

The only reason they killed the GBA was because Sony entered the race with the PSP. If you look at the announcement dates of the PSP and the DS, it's very clear that the announcement of the DS was a response to Sony's announcement of the PSP. It took them a few months to prepare.

The only reason they'll announce a new handheld now is if Sony announces a new one. You do not kill a successful system like the DS unless you're forced to.

maharg

idspispopd
I'm sure it's been said already, but virtual boy is sure as hell not a handheld. You had to plug it into a wall socket and during use you at no point have the thing in your hand. It's no more a handheld than the GameCube (with its handle) is.

Slavik81

TwinIonEngines said:
GBC was awesome, but it's a pain in the ass to categorize. I usually credit it as a new hardware iteration because there are games that require a GBC and won't play on prior GameBoys, but the "GBC Enhanced" software like LA DX, Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Gold/Silver/Crystal confuse things a bit. And then there are the Super GameBoy enhanced games to make things even more complicated.
The Gameboy Colour was a new generation of hardware. It is twice as powerful as the Gameboy. The confusing aspect stems from it's form-factor, which is shared with the Gameboy Pocket (which was not new hardware).

It is also backwards-compatible, like the GBA and the DS, which confuses things... but it shouldn't be confused with revisions like the Play It Loud and the Pocket.

maharg said:
I'm sure it's been said already, but virtual boy is sure as hell not a handheld. You had to plug it into a wall socket and during use you at no point have the thing in your hand. It's no more a handheld than the GameCube (with its handle) is.

To be fair, you either need a TV or one of those lame 3 inch screens that pop on the gamecube to play it somewhere else.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Shogmaster said:

wow that's the most pathetic set of "dream console" specs i've ever seen.

processor speed bump is stupidly low, inexplicable use of a second processor, ARM11 at a speed that doesn't actually exist, ram bumped disproportionately to processor creating a major bottleneck, buttons in an unconventional order, no screen protection, aspect ratio that's not used by anything ever...

:lol

Top Bottom