• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were to open a night-club, would you implement a dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let say you and perhaps a friend/co-worker/family member opted to pool your money and your resources into the lease of a building, subsequently converting it into a night club.

Would you insert a dress code into the club's policy? Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of including one?

way more

Hell yeah. It keeps out the riff-raff and makes your place seem more exclusive. Plus it means you can deny entrance to people you simply don't like.

No Popped Collars

No Sandals with Blue Jeans

By the way, what region are you in?

lil smoke

Banned
Yes. So people just don't walk in off the street. Dress codes require some sort of planning, which involves some level of maturity.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yeah, you gotta make sure people are dressed. That's how I lost my last license.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
It's easy. Implement a dress code, something basic, and instruct your bouncers to use as an excuse to keep the scum out and regulate the men/women ratio, not a hard rule.

ghst said:
Yeah, you gotta make sure people are dressed. That's how I lost my last license.
:lol :lol :lol

These codes are usually translate to "No black people" though. I've seen a club that has signs that say "no FUBU, no plain white shirts, no excessively baggy clothes, no long t-shirts" I mean, who are they kidding? For us by us- For black people by black people. NO FUBU.

Dr. Strangelove

I'M COOCOO FOR COCO CRISP!
Absolutely. No popped collars, no shorts, no flip flops, no jerseys, no hats worn backwards or off to the side.

The advantage is that you keep out more douches. The disadvantage is that you lose revenue from said douches buying copious amounts of Jager bombs and Coronas.

shuri

Banned
vas_a_morir said:
These codes are usually translate to "No black people" though. I've seen a club that has signs that say "no FUBU, no plain white shirts, no excessively baggy clothes, no long t-shirts" I mean, who are they kidding? For us by us- For black people by black people. NO FUBU.
what the

mac said:
Hell yeah. It keeps out the riff-raff and makes your place seem more exclusive. Plus it means you can deny entrance to people you simply don't like.

No Popped Collars

No Sandals with Blue Jeans

By the way, what region are you in?

D.C.

But wouldn't you be doing a disservice to your bottom line by cutting off a certain demographic? For example, people who're just getting out of work and want a quick drink, some company before heading home?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
If I were to open a nightclub, the focus would be almost completely on the music, it would be an underground locale tucked into a back corner of NYC, like Love or the former Arc... I'd have a policy to keep out the guidos and fashionistas and poseurs and only let the house/techno/trance/minimal/etc fans in, regardless of how they dressed.

NintendosBooger said:
D.C.

But wouldn't you be doing a disservice to your bottom line by cutting off a certain demographic? For example, people who're just getting out of work and want a quick drink, some company before heading home?

i dont think any successful clubs care about those ppl. You want your club to create buzz and to have people line up to get in. This is how clubs become popular IMO.

People like the ones in your post will probably just go to a Bar.

no, but a couple of hulking, good mannered bouncers would politely send those dressing like tools and such riff-raff to what I'd call the "Re-education room"

vas_a_morir said:

Well, aren't you pigeon-holding Black people and their sense of style by suggesting that this is all that they wear or can wear? An attack on baggy pants doesn't necessarily translate into an attack on Black people.

Phoenix

Depends on your business model. Do you make more money off image and exclusivity or do you make your money off cover charges and volume. It depends entirely on what type of establishment you're creating as the type of people you invite/allow in will determine what type of club you will ultimately have.

I would hope that you could keep out the riff raff by playing decent music and cultivating an atmosphere otherwise hostile to douchebaggery, but I guess something really simple might be necessary. If only to use as an excuse to screen people who are looking for trouble.

aoi tsuki

NintendosBooger said:
D.C.

That's what bars are for.

vas_a_morir said:

this is the most retarded thing I've read today

Besides the fact I don't think all the black people dress like that, what about open your fucking wardrobe and wear something according to the rules?

NintendosBooger said:
Well, aren't you pigeon-holding Black people and their sense of style by suggesting that this is all that they wear or can wear? An attack on baggy pants doesn't necessarily translate into an attack on Black people.

I would have no baggy clothes and stuff just to reduce the chance of weapons.

DJ_Tet

Banned
vas_a_morir said:

I've seen it expanded to include red and blue shirts/hats. It's to keep out the gangs and I'm fine with it. Private clubs can let in whomever they want.

lil smoke

Banned
NintendosBooger said:
D.C.

Cool. I'm from DC. If you're gonna have go-go bands playing there, and it's as bad as it was when I was growing up, yep I'd def have a dress-code. As a matter of fact, the last few years I lived in DC area, they had just started changing "clubs" to "cabarets". Still have go-go bands, but the crowd was much more mature, less fights, less rough-housing. Basically instead of a JYB crowd, you get an Essence crowd.

Anasui Kishibe said:

Besides the fact I don't think all the black people dress like that, what about open your fucking wardrobe and wear something according to the rules?
It's true though. Be as PC as you want, but signs that say no baggy jeans, no Tims, no headscarfs... they are all targeted to young black folk. Sure all black people don't dress like that, but that is (or was) the style like it or not.

way more

lil smoke said:
It's true though. Be as PC as you want, but signs that say no baggy jeans, no Tims, no headscarfs... they are all targeted to young black folk. Sure all black people don't dress like that, but that is (or was) the style like it or not.

It sounds like it. Especially if you are going after a brand and not just the style. Imagine saying no Abercrombie and Fitch. Clothing brands are one of the ways of targeting a specific demographic.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
NintendosBooger said:
D.C.

The only demographic you want to cut out are troublemakers (usually people too drunk), children and too much men. That's why you instruct the bouncers to apply different entry fees depending on the group and the situation (e.g. hot women get in free, charge ridiculous sums* to shady looking people, or when the club is full... etc). Having a sign with the dress code at the entrance sounds stupid... I wouldn't go to a place like that.

*soft way of telling them to gtfo...

SUPREME1

Banned
If I were opening up a nightclub, I'd have no problem keeping out people with baggy jeans, t-shirts, caps, sneakers, sandals. Don't like it, go elsewhere.

Now if I were opening up a lounge, I wouldn't care of someone wore any of that. All would be welcome, with the miminum requirement that you wear shoes and shirt. Shirt is optional if you're a chick :)

lil smoke said:
Yes. So people just don't walk in off the street. Dress codes require some sort of planning, which involves some level of maturity.
I agree. Boy do I have some club/party stories to tell...

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
vas_a_morir said:
If you or a family member were getting married, at the reception would you want your friends to show up in white tees, baggy pants, night-gownishly long tshirts, oversized hats, etc? If not, does that mean that none of your friends or family can attend?

Give me a break with that bullshit.

its all dependent on what kind of night club you're trying to run. just because you don't enforce a dress code doesn't mean you're running a tacky club per se, just something a little more casual ... i call these places bar/club hybrids. (i prefer these places)

if you're investing a lot of money on a really nice place, then you're definitely going to want you're clientele to be up to par.

SUPREME1

Banned
Tyrone Slothrop said:
its all dependent on what kind of night club you're trying to run. just because you don't enforce a dress code doesn't mean you're running a tacky club per se, just something a little more casual ... i call these places bar/club hybrids. (i prefer these places)

if you're investing a lot of money on a really nice place, then you're definitely going to want you're clientele to be up to par.

Lounges?

I also prefer these spots.

Casual, but trhe people who usuually hang out there are more the intellectual types and people who just want to hang out and listen to cool music while having a drink.

Sometimes, I just don't want to get all dressed up to go to a club.

vas_a_morir said:

Yeah, that pisses me off, it's like you gotta have a sit in to get into the fucking places...:lol

NintendosBooger said:

BS, this assumes that there is no such thing as black culture, or culture that is highly correlated with black Americans, which is PC on one hand, and racist on another.

Anasui Kishibe said:

How about night clubs open up their snobby, racist attitudes, and allow people to dress how they dress when they are drinking and hitting on ladies?

Wellington said:
If you or a family member were getting married, at the reception would you want your friends to show up in white tees, baggy pants, night-gownishly long tshirts, oversized hats, etc? If not, does that mean that none of your friends or family can attend?

Give me a break with that bullshit.

My answer, as someone that actually thinks critically about this kinda stuff, and realizes that every single thing that we consider "proper" or "mannered" is really just culturally defined bullshit, is no.

However, from a purely common sense aspect....comparing a fucking night club (Where free dress is assumed) to a wedding is just ridiculous.

TiVo

Hire cops who do moonlight as security guards. That way you get quick police response, people searched and profiled really well and they can carry guns.

Try to have a club that is on private property like a warehouse or industrial park that way the riff-raff that are not let in would not hang out in front the club "mean-mugging" and shooting up the place.

Let more women in than men. A cat fight is much better than a brawl and the men will spend money buying drinks to impress.

Also you should worry about organized crime taking over your shit more than black folk getting in.

lil smoke

Banned
TiVo said:
Hire cops who do moonlight as security guards. That way you get quick police response, people searched and profiled really well and they can carry guns.

Try to have a club that is on private property like a warehouse or industrial park that way the riff-raff that are not let in would not hang out in front the club "mean-mugging" and shooting up the place.

Let more women in than men. A cat fight is much better than a brawl and the men will spend money buying drinks to impress.

Also you should worry about organized crime taking over your shit more than black folk getting in.
You arent familiar with DC. No real industrial districts, and if it was a warehouse, people would indeed hang out there.

There is little organized crime (at least the kind you may be thinking of) in DC.

I'm curious where in DC he wants to do this. If it's Georgetown or Adams Morgan, he should be ok either way. The bad crowd isn't rampant in those areas. If it's SE like barry Farms, or something... it's a bad idea in general.

Liara T'Soni said:
BS, this assumes that there is no such thing as black culture, or culture that is highly correlated with black Americans, which is PC on one hand, and racist on another.

Give me a break. No one is saying that Black culture doesn't exist, merely that the clothing fashions that started as a result of it isn't -- thankfully -- limited to baggy pants and FUBU. It's responsible for bringing to light a number of fashion trends, ranging from urban to casual to business, and so the accusation that 'keeping out baggy pants = keeping out Black people' is absurd.

NintendosBooger said:
Give me a break. No one is saying that Black culture doesn't exist, merely that the clothing fashions that started as a result of it isn't -- thankfully -- limited to baggy pants and FUBU. It's responsible for bringing to light a number of fashion trends, ranging from urban to casual to business, and so the accusation that baggy pants = black people is absurd.

Look, I don't care about this hypothetical question enough to really get into this, but the bottom line is that if you outlaw dorags, baggy pants, and fitted hats in your club, you're doing it specifically to keep black people out, and I don't care how you spin it.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
vas_a_morir said:

I really hope this is a joke post.

Dress codes are used to attract WOMEN. Women will not go to a club where men are dressed like hobos. Dress codes attract hotter women, hot women attract more men. It's weird logic but it works.

Yes, I would only let women in who look like this:

IMG_7195.jpg

IMG_7025.jpg

Liara T'Soni said:
Look, I don't care about this hypothetical question enough to really get into this, but the bottom line is that if you outlaw dorags, baggy pants, and fitted hats in your club, you're doing it specifically to keep black people out, and I don't care how you spin it.

And I'm trying to tell you that no race is handcuffed to one specific style, which is what you're suggesting. You're nurturing stereotypes.

Wes

venison crêpe
I knew straight away that was from either cobrasnake or lnp :lol

And to the OP's question, yes I would definitely put a dress code in place. People want to go to a place with similiar taste in fashion as themselves I would think.

border

Liara T'Soni said:
I wouldn't want white people wearing that shit in my club either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom