• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were to open a night-club, would you implement a dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kade

lil smoke said:
It's true though. Be as PC as you want, but signs that say no baggy jeans, no Tims, no headscarfs... they are all targeted to young black folk. Sure all black people don't dress like that, but that is (or was) the style like it or not.

So now devout Muslim women can't come into the nightclubs?

Just great.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
bishoptl said:
Yes, absolutely. After years of bouncing, I'd insist on it.

A dress code is no guarantee to keep out the assholes, but it does raise the level of nightclub discourse. People who take the time and effort to dress up before going out are less likely to start nonsense.

Treat your place like it deserves respect, and that's what you'll get.

AMEN

shuri

Banned
bishoptl said:
Element Lounge, downstairs in the Hotel Georgia. It's been shut down for a few years now and they're turning the place into zillion dollar condos :p

And yes, Vancouver women are second only to Quebec females in terms of hotness.
You're only saying that now that you are married :p I HAVE COMPROMISING LOGS! :lol

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Liara T'Soni said:
My answer, as someone that actually thinks critically about this kinda stuff, and realizes that every single thing that we consider "proper" or "mannered" is really just culturally defined bullshit, is no.

However, from a purely common sense aspect....comparing a fucking night club (Where free dress is assumed) to a wedding is just ridiculous.
So what the fuck, walk around naked then. Clothes in general are inherently "propered" and "mannered". Why don't you just do whatever the fuck you want?

And obviously you miss the point. There's a set dress code at many if not all night clubs, while there is no set dress code at a wedding. Why people show up in suits and dresses and shit is beyond me, if we're thinking "critically" and beyond "defined bullshit".

Thinking "critically", do you get upset that some cultures don't eat beef or pork?

Open your eyes a little and realize that I'm not comparing a wedding and a night club, I am comparing how people dress at each of these events. There are similarities between the dress codes at clubs and the unspoken dress codes at wedding receptions. Don't need common sense to see that, just a pair of eyes.

Phoenix

Nash said:
Dress-codes are a sure sign of a wanky pretentious venue, and you attract a bunch of wankers who are more interested in standing around trying to look pretty than the music.

If you create a music driven venue with a strong music policy, you attract the right crowd anyway.

Dress-codes are a sign of a venue which doesn't know it's music, none of the decent places music-wise that I know have them.

Come to Atlanta, I'll take you to a few.

Phoenix

bishoptl said:
Yes, absolutely. After years of bouncing, I'd insist on it.

A dress code is no guarantee to keep out the assholes, but it does raise the level of nightclub discourse. People who take the time and effort to dress up before going out are less likely to start nonsense.

Treat your place like it deserves respect, and that's what you'll get.

After being business partner in a club in New Orleans I can tell you that this is the honest truth.

VPhys

buckfutter said:
I would hope that you could keep out the riff raff by playing decent music and cultivating an atmosphere otherwise hostile to douchebaggery, but I guess something really simple might be necessary. If only to use as an excuse to screen people who are looking for trouble.

What's decent music?

bjork said:
My dress code would rule:

No one gets in unless they're wearing a mask.

These could be masks like in Amadeus. Or masks like Halloween. Or masks like Mexican wrestlers. YOU MAKE THE CALL.

Like Eyes Wide Shut?

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
bishoptl said:
Element Lounge, downstairs in the Hotel Georgia. It's been shut down for a few years now and they're turning the place into zillion dollar condos :p

And yes, Vancouver women are second only to Quebec females in terms of hotness.

That seems to happen to every good EDM club no matter what city you are in :(

When I was on the west coast, Vancouver did impress me with its female contingent but IMO, Victoria was tops!

Osaka

Did not ask for this tag
RejectedIcon.gif

Ok admittedly, I haven't read EVERY post in this thread. But I've gotten the idea behind it and I feel like I want to say a few things.

The OP has said he's in DC. If we're still talking about a potential spot for the OP, then you have to take some things into consideration. One, it's called chocolate city for a reason. Liara, you stated earlier that there are many more whites than blacks. In the US, sure, but that's not really the case here in the District. Also, some of the best 'black' clubs here have dress codes. So, while I understand the basis of your argument, it doesn't apply as well here because of the demographics.

That being said, there ARE several areas that are considered 'white' areas. Georgetown being one and Adams Morgan being another (although AMo has a much stronger foreign contingent). Some of these places have dress codes, some don't. I have personally been turned away because I was wearing sneakers, and that's fine. I have yet to see any clubs with dress codes like the ones you're describing (no baggy shit, etc.). The dress codes I have seen a re of the no jeans no sneakers variety. I don't think these are inherently racist like seems to be the argument. A business can't foster an atmosphere of sophistication when its clientele are wearing whatever the hell they want. This includes baggy jeans, but it sure as shit also includes flip flops and whatever American Eagle bullshit yuppies wear.

So maybe dress codes CAN be racist, but they have to be specifically tailored to be such. I don't think that's what the OP is trying to do here. And OP, without knowing exactly what type of place you want to open, it wouldn't even really be appropriate to discuss dress code. (If you want a beach theme, these last four pages are moot, for example.)

teepo

joeblackisback said:
Ok admittedly, I haven't read EVERY post in this thread. But I've gotten the idea behind it and I feel like I want to say a few things.

The OP has said he's in DC. If we're still talking about a potential spot for the OP, then you have to take some things into consideration. One, it's called chocolate city for a reason. Liara, you stated earlier that there are many more whites than blacks. In the US, sure, but that's not really the case here in the District. Also, some of the best 'black' clubs here have dress codes. So, while I understand the basis of your argument, it doesn't apply as well here because of the demographics.

That being said, there ARE several areas that are considered 'white' areas. Georgetown being one and Adams Morgan being another (although AMo has a much stronger foreign contingent). Some of these places have dress codes, some don't. I have personally been turned away because I was wearing sneakers, and that's fine. I have yet to see any clubs with dress codes like the ones you're describing (no baggy shit, etc.). The dress codes I have seen a re of the no jeans no sneakers variety. I don't think these are inherently racist like seems to be the argument. A business can't foster an atmosphere of sophistication when its clientele are wearing whatever the hell they want. This includes baggy jeans, but it sure as shit also includes flip flops and whatever American Eagle bullshit yuppies wear.

So maybe dress codes CAN be racist, but they have to be specifically tailored to be such. I don't think that's what the OP is trying to do here. And OP, without knowing exactly what type of place you want to open, it wouldn't even really be appropriate to discuss dress code. (If you want a beach theme, these last four pages are moot, for example.)

dc is a double stuffed oreo now.

lil smoke

Banned
^^ What up fellow DC-ers. Yeah DC has changed a lot... some spots I couldn't even recognize anymore. A lot of people now go out to PG to club now, and I hear PG is starting to crack down. It's not the choco city it was when I lived down there!

Ya'll into go-go?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
bishoptl said:
*bzzzt* Try again.

The second club I was working at in downtown Vancouver had one of the strongest electronica music scenes on the West Coast - always showcasing new talent or bringing in top DJs from around the world on a regular basis. A great scene with good crowds, and very little bullshit to deal with.

Oh, and I happily "discriminated" against anybody who showed up at the door without their clothes correct. You can just call me the Grand Wizard.

Put clothes of all things above the music and it automatically makes the club look bad in my opinion. The only door policy a music-driven venue needs is 'no wankers'. What people wear is completely irrelevant.

The best places and nights in London for breaking new artists, as well as attracting headline DJ's and bands, all have no dress-codes. Precisely because it means you get a much more openminded and musically literate crowd, and a crowd who are there to enjoy themselves, rather than just being there because it is the 'cool' place to be seen.

Same for my home town. I'd rather chew my own leg off than go to the places with dresscodes. They are soulless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom