• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

If you were to open a night-club, would you implement a dress code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SUPREME1

Banned
F*ck that.

Dorags?

Baggy pants?

Sneakers?

If you dress like a gang banger or kid, you ain't getting in. I don't give a rat's ass if you have the biggest 50cent diamond chain on and if your dorag is Louis Vuitton.

If you ain't grown up enough to dress like one, you ain't getting in.

Boo-hoo at it being a black thing. It's not a black thing, it's a ghetto thing.

I like to lounge around my house with khakis and some og kswiss and a T. But I know better tha nto try to go to a nice place with that shit on.

lil smoke

Banned
Dark Octave said:
:lol I saw that.

How did this turn into a racial thread anyway?
shhh... minor contradiction that I cannot bother the time to explain. They wouldn't get it anyway here. :D

Liara T'Soni said:
I don't want to get too much into this....the 'good little nigga" shit is just as racist as anything else though.
:lol we call 'em safe negroes. I know ya'll can't handle that though.

borghe said:
would a white guy dressed the same way be turned away? Would a black guy dressed differently be turned away? Your point has officially been debunked. And I SPECIFICALLY mentioned "ghetto" hip hop culture because there is a pretty distinct segregation in the hip hop culture of those who want to embrace the finer points of the culture, and those who want to be thugs (or appear that way).

609talibkweliry2.jpg

Talib Kweli : Considered one of the more progressive rappers (Or at least he was, I haven't kept up with him as of late), dressed up like a "ghetto black gangster".

Don't fucking kid yourself, he wouldn't get into you're club, and it's got fuck all to do with with what aspect of culture he has embraced.

The fact that you even make this distinction between "criminal hiphop" and "good hiphop" is also worth discussing, however, I can see that it's a lost cause as it is. FWIW, there is no distinction, some people are criminals and others are not, unless there is something like a black Mafia, there is no aspect of black culture that is based in crime. And I don't care if it's hiphop or other.

The same as this isn't.

But, with this reply you've clearly shown that you have no interest in looking at this objectively, and just want to label anyone who looks negatively at the thug/gangsta/whatever hop hop culture as a racist. Of course it has nothing to do with the violence, crime, obscenity, and harassment that is generally perpetuated by that particular segment of the culture..... no, it's that everyone is just a bunch of hillbilly racists. gotcha.

Go fuck yourself, you sensative pansy.

Like I said earlier, if you are more interested in ASSUMING that I'M calling YOU a racist, than what is the fucking point?

Ignored.

bjork

My dress code would rule:

No one gets in unless they're wearing a mask.

These could be masks like in Amadeus. Or masks like Halloween. Or masks like Mexican wrestlers. YOU MAKE THE CALL.

Banned
Liara T'Soni, if you were more conservative, you wouldn't assume dress codes are out there to target black culture. Thus you would live a happier life.

Just sayin'

bjork

Liara T'Soni said:
609talibkweliry2.jpg

Talib Kweli : Considered one of the more progressive rappers (Or at least he was, I haven't kept up with him as of late), dressed up like a "ghetto black gangster".

This looks like what the emo kids wear around here, minus the hat. So ghetto = emo now?

weepy

Liara T'Soni, if you were more conservative, you wouldn't assume dress codes are out there to target black culture. Thus you would live a happier life.

Just sayin'

After reading through the thread I guess I've got an understanding of what he's saying: Basically, why are people in urban styles of dress barred from entering clubs even though it's a fairly popular form of dress amongst young black/brown men who wear them?

WickedAngel said:
There is nothing racist about saying that the prevailing black culture among young, black youths today is the hip-hop culture (Specifically, the gangster-rap segment) and outlining the negative connotations of that unfortunate fact. It has nothing to do with race and everything to do with role models; there are white kids who immortalize gangster-rap and they, too, are likely to grow up with questionable ethics and an increased likelihood of trouble.

Living in the south is an unfortunate product of choices my family made before I had enough clout to affect their decision. I live in the south (Now Georgia) specifically because of the HOPE grant that will allow me to go to college for free. I do own a gun, I don't own a truck (I've always preferred cars), and I hate the "Get 'er done" rednecks with trucknutz on their F150/Silverado just as much as the next rational person.

$400 is tough; costs have gone up. I'm a very vocal supporter of the Springfield XD line because of their feature set, build quality, and relatively low cost.
:lol @ truck comment. Alright man, cool. Fair enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. Still not sure if I want one and my GF is against it, but I do see the possible need for one, and they are fun at the range.

SUPREME1

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
609talibkweliry2.jpg

Don't fucking kid yourself, he wouldn't get into you're club, and it's got fuck all to do with with what aspect of culture he has embraced.

The fact that you even make this distinction between "criminal hiphop" and "good hiphop" is also worth discussing, however, I can see that it's a lost cause as it is. FWIW, there is no distinction, some people are criminals and others are not, unless there is something like a black Mafia, there is no aspect of black culture that is based in crime. And I don't care if it's hiphop or other.

Go fuck yourself, you sensative pansy.

Like I said earlier, if you are more interested in ASSUMING that I'M calling YOU a racist, than what is the fucking point?

Ignored.

I like Talib Kweli...

Buuut, yeah, I wouldn't let him into my nightclub dressed like that.

Wouldn't matter if he had Pharoah Monch, Common, Mos Def and Lupe Fiasco with him....
If they were all dressed like that, they'd be looking for another spot.

If they had Kanye with them however, that'd be a different story. Bitches loooove Kanye.

Lol.

Banned
After reading through the thread I guess I've got an understanding of what he's saying: Basically, why are people in urban styles of dress barred from entering clubs even though it's a fairly popular form of dress amongst young black/brown men who wear them?
I understand what Liari is saying as well. I can see why people can take it as discrimination.

But Borghe has a point. This is a business pushing an image. They don't want to be connected with that image, or they may not want gangsters inside. Liari can't deny that many gang bangers dress like that.

CommonFindingForever.jpg
Look at Common. Clean cut classy guy that could enter any club in the country with that look.

way more

weepy said:

I think so. The shame is that people are choosing to use the route of debate saying, "but you are the racist one because you see race." Pretending to ignore race and be color blind, a la Stephen Colbert harms more than it helps.

Some people are making legitimate counter-arguments at least.

Dark Octave said:
:lol @ truck comment. Alright man, cool. Fair enough.

Thanks for the suggestion. Still not sure if I want one and my GF is against it, but I do see the possible need for one, and they are fun at the range.

If the girlfriend doesn't like it, it's a hard sell (...this is basically true of all things). It's all about personal responsibility. You and I know that they're fun to shoot, but that's not what you tell your girlfriend. You show her examples of the many valid reasons for ownership (Such as that thread where that young woman was murdered because dispatch was too fucking incompetent to do their job) and let her come to the conclusion herself.

Also, make her a part of it. My girlfriend didn't really like the idea of guns either but then I had her come to the range with me and that made all the difference. Teaching her about the safety measures, proper procedure for handling, and the correct way to shoot will go a long way towards suppressing her fears and could potentially develop into a hobby you both enjoy.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
ImperialConquest said:
I like Talib Kweli...

Buuut, yeah, I wouldn't let him into my nightclub dressed like that.

Wouldn't matter if he had Pharoah Monch, Common, Mos Def and Lupe Fiasco with him....
If they were all dressed like that, they'd be looking for another spot.
exactly. yet if they came in without the hoodies, caps, and baggy jeans there wouldn't be a problem.

most cries of racism these days come from the uneducated or the naive, and that's never been more apparent than in this thread. Definitely not saying it doesn't still happen, but absolutely nothing that's been talked about in this thread comes anywhere close.

and it's not fucking a semantic. Either you are discriminating on race or your not. You can whine and cry all you want that you got kicked out for wearing your hoodie, but if you play the racism card you sure as hell better make sure you were kicked out because of your race and not because you dress like a tool.

weepy

I understand what Liari is saying as well. I can see why people can take it as discrimination.

But Borghe has a point. This is a business pushing an image. They don't want to be connected with that image, or they may not want gangsters inside. Liari can't deny that many gang bangers dress like that.
CommonFindingForever.jpg
Look at Common. Clean cut classy guy that could enter any club in the country with that look.

And that's the gist of it. Baggy clothing, while having other meanings as well, could be used to conceal weapons. Hats (baseball fitteds) could have gang afiliated logos/colors and what's the point of wearing a du-rag on your head at a club anyway. Most clubs that I've been to won't allow people who wear a lot of blue or red in. It's just to minimize conflict.

...but someone hasn't answered my question, why would FUBU be barred from clubs?

lil smoke said:
:lol we call 'em safe negroes. I know ya'll can't handle that though.

:lol :lol :lol

Man, I hope that someday, people are more interested in race in this light instead of just focusing on minor occurances of violence/neglecting oppurtunities.

bjork said:
This looks like what the emo kids wear around here, minus the hat. So ghetto = emo now?

To be frank, the point is that he's a non-violent man that is still a nigger to some people.

Battlezone said:
Great. We're onto the Uncle Tom bullshit now?

I don't think me or lil smoke were talking about that....we were talking about the fact that people have to change to get approval from other people.

weepy said:

Yup...I just don't understand why others don't think this is worth looking at.

I mean, isn't it fucking ridiculous? I've been to clubs where I can't wear my fucking enyce (Too colorful, or somethin stupid like that), only to get inside wearing some (What I consider to be) nerdy and/or uncomfortable outfit, and hear them playing fucking Rick Ross "Hustling"...what in the flying fuck?

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
I don't think me or lil smoke were talking about that....we were talking about the fact that people have to change to get approval from other people.
So do you call employers that require all interviewees to dress in a professional manner racist?

borghe

Liara T'Soni said:
I mean, isn't it fucking ridiculous? I've been to clubs where I can't wear my fucking enyce (Too colorful, or somethin stupid like that), only to get inside wearing some (What I consider to be) nerdy and/or uncomfortable outfit, and hear them playing fucking Rick Ross "Hustling"...what in the flying fuck?
wow.. and your own post just blew apart the whole race thing.

as to WHY this shit happens despite it being so popular, again, it's because the culture in its most pervasive mainstream form promotes and perpetuates the concepts of violence, drugs, etc. Argue about it all you want, but when you have prominent hip hop artists saying this EXACT SAME THING, you lose credibility saying otherwise. So should all urban dressed kids be blocked from a club because a handful of platinum selling artists and a bunch of idiots on the news are a bunch of thugs? Probably not... but short of handing out a multi-part questionnaire at the door it's just easier to block all people looking to be apart of that culture (regardless of race) than try to figure out who is a thug and who just chooses to dress like one because they like the style.

Liara T'Soni said:
Embarassing

Wow. Where to start...

Every black person who is refrained entry due to their clothing is being kept out on the basis of being a "nigger" now? Really? That's really where you want to take this argument?

You have to change to get approval of "some people". Everyone does. That doesn't mean that it is racism (Which you admitted was wrong earlier, despite the fact that you are still arguing as if it is).

The dance club I go to has no dress code (aside from the usual "no shirt, no shoes..." rule.) There's even a regular who always shows up in flannel pajamas. It's great, and no one has any real attitude. (Except for when the frat boys occasionally pile in.)

But if I had a club, I'd have a dress code. One designed simply to keep the ginos out.

borghe

lunarworks said:
The dance club I go to has no dress code (aside from the usual "no shirt, no shoes..." rule.) There's even a regular who always shows up in flannel pajamas. It's great, and no one has any real attitude. (Except for when the frat boys occasionally pile in.)
this sounds like a case mentioned earlier, where the club is extremely particular and selective in the music it plays, enough so that it is drawing a very like minded crowd all with similar tastes and cultures.

the places that tend to have problems with fights and whatnot are usually places that try to incorporate a bunch of cultures together in one place, which unfortunately has a tendency to cause tension and worse.

bjork

Liara T'Soni said:
To be frank, the point is that he's a non-violent man that is still a nigger to some people.

I think the point is more that I've only seen you in two threads, and you've been *really* angry at life. You need to take up a relaxing hobby like gardening or something, and I don't mean that as an insult. You come across as really high-strung.

Anyway, to look at your point from the other side: If you had a club and I showed up wearing a white hood, would you let me in? I mean, I'm not in the KKK, but my hood might make people think otherwise.

lil smoke

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:
:lol :lol :lol

Man, I hope that someday, people are more interested in race in this light instead of just focusing on minor occurances of violence/neglecting oppurtunities.
I hear ya! I commend you for sticking around and trying to explain!

Me, I don't have the energy or patience. People I associate in real life, understand me perfectly.... white, black, asian, whatever... we all laugh at this type of shit.

Not get all bent out of shape like they do here on GAF.

borghe said:
the places that tend to have problems with fights and whatnot are usually places that try to incorporate a bunch of cultures together in one place, which unfortunately has a tendency to cause tension and worse.

In Toronto we have the "Entertainment District". It's a horrible, over-priced, egotistical area full of bad music. I keep far, far away from there on weekends.

Banned
lunarworks said:

But if I had a club, I'd have a dress code. One designed simply to keep the ginos out.
What are gino's? They've been mentioned here before, and I have no idea what they are.

So do you call employers that require all interviewees to dress in a professional manner racist?

I do consider employers that disallow black women from wearing their natural hair to work to be racist.

As far as the job interview go...look, we can deconstruct it as deeply as you want to go. I do believe that at one point, importance has to delve into being tedious. What is a professional manner and who dictated it as such? What part of the world did that attire originate from? What happens when people decide that they don't think it's professional.......you see what I mean?

Just to answer your question, I don't complain when I need to dress up for job interviews, but like I said, it's really just about how far you want to delve.

borghe

Liara T'Soni said:

hmm... after reading this I don't agree entirely. race SHOULD be downplayed. as should religion, and sexuality, and all other differentials. we all want to be individuals and we should all be proud of our heritage, but to make an openly big deal of these differences invites unfair correlations to be made between positives or negatives to this difference. "Well, maybe he would do better/worse if he was asian/gay/straight/catholic/etc". As a society we are very quick to label, and by pointing out how each of us is so much more different than everyone else, we open ourselves up to even more labels.

I hope someday that people are so UNINTERESTED in race that we can even stop using the terms black, asian, white, gay, straight, mormon etc. We need less labels to attach to people, not more.

Liara T'Soni said:
I do consider employers that disallow black women from wearing their natural hair to work to be racist.
sorry, but you are wrong. it's no different than not allowing men to have long hair, or people to have mohawks, pink hair, etc. It is about projecting the image you want your company to project, which in those cases is fairly uniform and straightlaced with little variation.

Liara T'Soni said:

But by "safe negro" and "good little nigga" you're implying that a black man that would choose to not dress down and glorify the ghetto thug nigga sterotype is somehow not being themselves, acting less "black", or-and let's be real here-more "white". And it's insulting.

I'm black. I believe jeans should be worn around your waist, not your ass. I believe fitted baseball caps are best worn when playing baseball. I think hooded sweatshirts are more appropriate for a workout than a nighclub. I think plastering a designer's logo across your chest is tacky. I guess because I think and dress for myself instead of conforming to a sterotype, all of a sudden, I'm somebody's house nigga. Get the fuck out with that shit.

weepy

borghe said:
wow.. and your own post just blew apart the whole race thing.

as to WHY this shit happens despite it being so popular, again, it's because the culture in its most pervasive mainstream form promotes and perpetuates the concepts of violence, drugs, etc. Argue about it all you want, but when you have prominent hip hop artists saying this EXACT SAME THING, you lose credibility saying otherwise. So should all urban dressed kids be blocked from a club because a handful of platinum selling artists and a bunch of idiots on the news are a bunch of thugs? Probably not... but short of handing out a multi-part questionnaire at the door it's just easier to block all people looking to be apart of that culture (regardless of race) than try to figure out who is a thug and who just chooses to dress like one because they like the style.

It sucks that it comes to that though. Not all males wearing loose fitting clothing and a cap are thugs and it's a shame that they are typed cast because of said clothing. Yeah mainstream rap for the most part is garbage and the images put up displaying young men dressed like that as hyper violent and uncontrollable, which is not really the case. When this urban style took form in the 80's it was more about individual creativity and freedom of expression. Now, after the commodification of "gangsta rap" and its preversed spin-offs, most urban styles are marketed off the uberviolent nature of the popular music. I could understand Liara's frustration, but it's not so much a race thing as it is a social thing.

borghe

weepy said:
It sucks that it comes to that though. Not all males wearing loose fitting clothing and a cap are thugs and it's a shame that they are typed cast because of said clothing. Yeah mainstream rap for the most part is garbage and the images put up displaying young men dressed like that as hyper violent and uncontrollable, which is not really the case. When this urban style took form in the 80's it was more about individual creativity and freedom of expression. Now, after the commodification of "gangsta rap" and its preversed spin-offs, most urban styles are marketed off the uberviolent nature of the popular music. I could understand Liara's frustration, but it's not so much a race thing as it is a social thing.
I agree with you 100%, including the point that it sucks. Nevertheless it is a fact. I can also understand his frustration. I mean you're looking at someone who spent his teen years in a leather jacket, speed and death metal t-shirts, ripped jeans and black shoes/boots with hair a quarter way down my back and piercings galore.... I know ALL ABOUT discrimination based on how you look.. but I also knew exactly WHY I was being discriminated against and knew what I could do if I wanted acceptance.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nash said:
Dress-codes are a sure sign of a wanky pretentious venue, and you attract a bunch of wankers who are more interested in standing around trying to look pretty than the music.

If you create a music driven venue with a strong music policy, you attract the right crowd anyway.

Dress-codes are a sign of a venue which doesn't know it's music, none of the decent places music-wise that I know have them.
*bzzzt* Try again.

The second club I was working at in downtown Vancouver had one of the strongest electronica music scenes on the West Coast - always showcasing new talent or bringing in top DJs from around the world on a regular basis. A great scene with good crowds, and very little bullshit to deal with.

Oh, and I happily "discriminated" against anybody who showed up at the door without their clothes correct. You can just call me the Grand Wizard.

Battlezone said:
But by "safe negro" and "good little nigga" you're implying that a black man that would choose to not dress down and glorify the ghetto thug nigga sterotype is somehow not being themselves, acting less "black", or-and let's be real here-more "white". And it's insulting.

I'm black. I believe jeans should be worn around your waist, not your ass. I believe fitted baseball caps are best worn when playing baseball. I think hooded sweatshirts are more appropriate for a workout than a nighclub. I think plastering a designer's logo across your chest is tacky. I guess because I think and dress for myself instead of conforming to a sterotype, all of a sudden, I'm somebody's house nigga. Get the fuck out with that shit.

The funny part is that he also called me out when I stated this very thing (The act of one subsection of the black culture attacking another based on differences in perceived "blackness"), saying that it doesn't happen to any large degree except for in the minds of white people.

It's amazing. He has basically reversed his stance on every issue and validated every single statement that he called me out for in the other thread.

lil smoke

Banned
Battlezone said:

Damn... I'm tryin to get out of this discussion and move on :D ... that is not what I am insinuating. That is how you took it. You seem ready to take it as an insult.

Safe negro is sort of an inside joke to say, that there is a certain way of carrying yourself that white people are more comfortable with. It's not about acting white or sellin out or anything like that. It's just one of those funny little things that occur in life. Happens in all races and cultures. There just happens to be a term for it. But you take it the way you want, call me racist, go and cry. Bottom line if you're happy with yourself, none of this should make you lose any sleep tonight.

bjork said:
I think the point is more that I've only seen you in two threads, and you've been *really* angry at life. You need to take up a relaxing hobby like gardening or something, and I don't mean that as an insult. You come across as really high-strung.

Honestly, no offense taken, I'm a serious mutha fucka.

I believe in the saying that if you aren't mad, you aren't paying attention.

Anyway, to look at your point from the other side: If you had a club and I showed up wearing a white hood, would you let me in? I mean, I'm not in the KKK, but my hood might make people think otherwise.

See, this is where I feel most people just aren't thinking this through......the white hood of the KKK is their official uniform, it's what they wear, and nobody that is not in the KKK would ever wear their uniform. Durags, timbs, rocawear shirts....these are not the official "criminal uniforms", they are just clothes that people wear. Some people may rob a bank in them, others may be driving to pick up their daughters in them, whatever the case, this isn't anywhere near a real comparison.

lil smoke said:
Damn... I'm tryin to get out of this discussion and move on :D ... that is not what I am insinuating. That is how you took it. You seem ready to take it as an insult.

Just as you guys seem ready to take every slight against you as a racial one.

Banned
Liara T'Soni said:

As far as the job interview go...look, we can deconstruct it as deeply as you want to go. I do believe that at one point, importance has to delve into being tedious. What is a professional manner and who dictated it as such? What part of the world did that attire originate from? What happens when people decide that they don't think it's professional.......you see what I mean?

Just to answer your question, I don't complain when I need to dress up for job interviews, but like I said, it's really just about how far you want to delve.
Well despite the hair thing, which I've never heard of before. That might be racist, What I'm trying to say is when you enter an establishment you are making a contract with the owner. It's his private property and his rules. He may have established them to keep his employees safe, becuase as I said before, it's hard to argue that gangbangers don't dress like that.

He may be acting in the best interests of his buisness. If you want to make a dance rock club catered to a specific niche, than you need to attract that culture. Letting the gang culture in could work against that.

I have a hard time believing that night clubs, an industry that caters almost exclusively to young people, have dress codes targeted to exclude a race. In fact it's untrue becuase any black man can get in. I posted a picture of Common, do you really think he is a nerd becuase he dresses like a casual professional?

And i don't think the "safe nigga" argument works here. Night club dress codes exclude the riff raff. That includes the rednecks, the cholos or however you spell gangster for Latinos and the Thugs in black culture.

bjork

Liara T'Soni said:
Honestly, no offense taken, I'm a serious mutha fucka.

I believe in the saying that if you aren't mad, you aren't paying attention

That's a poor life philosophy. You'll die earlier due to your anger.

See, this is where I feel most people just aren't thinking this through......the white hood of the KKK is their official uniform, it's what they wear, and nobody that is not in the KKK would ever wear their uniform. Durags, timbs, rocawear shirts....these are not the official "criminal uniforms", they are just clothes that people wear. Some people may rob a bank in them, others may be driving to pick up their daughters in them, whatever the case, this isn't anywhere near a real comparison.

it really depends on your area, doesn't it? If your town was only victimized by people wearing one sort of thing, it would be in your best interest as a business owner to be wary of someone dressed similarly. I don't know that I wouldn't let a guy in for wearing such and such brand, but I might have my security whoever keep a better eye on the guy. And that's not my fault as a business owner or the guy's fault as a clothing wearer, but the fault of whoever stirred shit up before to make anyone cautious in the first place.

lil smoke said:
Safe negro is sort of an inside joke to say, that there is a certain way of carrying yourself that white people are more comfortable with.

Are you even familiar with the origin of the term "house negro"? That "inside joke" pretty much hits the definition right on the head. It is an insult when you're using it to suggest that someone is changing who they are to make themselves more palatable to white people.

Bottom line if you're happy with yourself, none of this should make you lose any sleep tonight.

Don't worry; I'm extremely happy with myself-and I'll sleep quite well tonight. You only have to fight being called "Carlton" by your own race for so many years before you just say, "fuck it", and move above it instead of letting it bring you down.

It's just disappointing that some blacks can be just as awful to ourselves as they purport some white people to be.

bishoptl said:
*bzzzt* Try again.

The second club I was working at in downtown Vancouver had one of the strongest electronica music scenes on the West Coast - always showcasing new talent or bringing in top DJs from around the world on a regular basis. A great scene with good crowds, and very little bullshit to deal with.

Oh, and I happily "discriminated" against anybody who showed up at the door without their clothes correct. You can just call me the Grand Wizard.

Bish, you still live in Vancouver? Which club was that? I was just up there this past weekend and checked out a few clubs there, and MAN, they blow the clubs here in Seattle away, from the decor, the service, everything. The women are hotter, too.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Element Lounge, downstairs in the Hotel Georgia. It's been shut down for a few years now and they're turning the place into zillion dollar condos :p

And yes, Vancouver women are second only to Quebec females in terms of hotness.

Battlezone said:

No...once again, I do believe that there is a place for "coon", "uncle tom", "sell out", etc, and some black people DO have self hate problems and issues dealing with who and what they are, HOWEVER; these are issues within the black community.

To be frank again, me and lil smoke were talking about the fact that white people are only comfortable around certain types of blacks, and I'm not just talking about non-criminals.

What you're talking about is a completely different thing....nobody was even on that page.

Listen man, if this discussion is getting a little bit too close to home or something for you...I don't know what to tell you. Nobody was dissing you or dissing blacks that don't partake in the more urban aspects of black culture.

I'm black and I'm posting on an online videogame message board under a name of a Blue lesbian alien I took from a science fiction videogame ....I also go to an expensive college....however, I do dress like a black ghetto criminal, so I'm not sure if we can be friends or not....:D

lil smoke

Banned
Battlezone said:
Are you even familiar with the origin of the term "house negro"? That "inside joke" pretty much hits the definition right on the head. It is an insult when you're using it to suggest that someone is changing who they are to make themselves more palatable to white people.
I don't mean to insult you. Try not to look at it like that. It's more a commentary on society, and a way of life. Adjusting yourself to the environment you're in. It has nothing to do with acting like another race or culture. It is not about emulating.

It's like, when I talk to my boss, I change the way I speak. I don't use slang, I don't curse... I adjust my personal ways.

There are white people here where I work who have adjusted over the years to tee shirt and jeans to suits. It's pretty normal, you know that.

I make light of the situation at times, because that is my personality. I laugh at myself sometimes when I realize how much I have changed from having worked in a professional environment for so long. I laugh because I don't take this shit as serious as you. And I laugh about it not just with black people, but all people. Even my Korean co-worker. She laughs at how asians have eye surgery to look American. Or how they dye their hair brown because they don't want to have typical black hair.

People. Everything is not always racism, and everything else is not always playing the race card. Re-fucking-lax .

Liara T'Soni said:
To be frank again, me and lil smoke were talking about the fact that white people are only comfortable around certain types of blacks, and I'm not just talking about non-criminals.

What you're talking about is a completely different thing....nobody was even on that page.

lil smoke said:
I don't mean to insult you. Try not to look at it like that. It's more a commentary on society, and a way of life. Adjusting yourself to the environment you're in. It has nothing to do with acting like another race or culture. It is not about emulating.

It's like, when I talk to my boss, I change the way I speak. I don't use slang, I don't curse... I adjust my personal ways.

There are white people here where I work who have adjusted over the years to tee shirt and jeans to suits. It's pretty normal, you know that.

I make light of the situation at times, because that is my personality. I laugh at myself sometimes when I realize how much I have changed from having worked in a professional environment for so long. I laugh because I don't take this shit as serious as you. And I laugh about it not just with black people, but all people. Even my Korean co-worker. She laughs at how asians have eye surgery to look American. Or how they dye their hair brown because they don't want to have typical black hair.

Fair enough, and thank you for the clarification without resorting to namecalling and such. To be honest, that bolded part fits me to a T. Believe me when I tell you I don't take any of this seriously or to heart. The tone of the discussion was reading as if you were denigrating blacks that chose to dress and act a certain way, and I jumped on that.

lil smoke

Banned
Battlezone said:
Fair enough, and thank you for the clarification without resorting to namecalling and such. To be honest, that bolded part fits me to a T. Believe me when I tell you I don't take any of this seriously or to heart. The tone of the discussion was reading as if you were denigrating blacks that chose to dress and act a certain way, and I jumped on that.
If you knew me in real life, you would know that I am way above that.

People jump to conclusions on the internet (mainly because context is hard to judge without vocal tone, facial expression, and post length) which is why I try so hard to avoid getting too deep into stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom