• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NeoGAF Super Smash Bros. Brawl Singles #2

Milabrega

Anyone who signs up now will be considered a sub.

I will open a new thread when round 1 begins. That thread will be used for all tournament info and updates.

This is the Sign up thread only. Please read all the following about the tourney, then proceed to the bottom of this post to learn how to sign up.

Format:
1v1
Double Elimination Bracket
Best of 3
4 Stock with no time limit

What is Double Elimination? Once you lose, you go to the loser's bracket. You must lose again in the loser's bracket to be eliminated from the tournament. This gives you a minimum of 2 sets. To see how this works, view our massive bracket from Singles #1 or our smaller bracket from Teams #1

Date:

The tournament will begin on June 8, 2008 and may take over a month from start to finish. Its a time commitment, so please don't join if you don't think you can commit. You should be able to complete your match for the current round within 5 days. Exceptions can, and will be made, for summer vacations or other real life events that may interfere, but if it is persistent you will be given the loss.

Seeds:
For this tournament, your initial position will be based on the results of Singles Tournament #1. For ties in positions 5,7,9 and 13 all members of those positions can choose to battle one another for a higher seed position. For ties at the other rankings, your seed # will be randomized for all the available seeds at that rank. For Example if your ranked 17th, you will randomly be assigned a seed position from 17-24. All new comers will automatically be assigned a bottom seed # and then randomized once sign ups have closed.

Settings:
Stock: 4
Items: Off
Neutral Stages: TBA
Banned Stages: New Pork City, Hyrule Temple, Warioware, Spear Pillar, Flat Zone 2, Original Mario Brothers, Mushroomy Kingdom, Rumble Falls, 75m

Set Flow:
In your initial PM, please give your opponent the stage you would like to use if you lose the first or second matches. That stage should be picked by both users.

Match 1: Stage picked beforehand.
Match 2: Stage picked by loser of Match 1.
Match 3 (if required): Stage picked by loser of Match 2.

Things to set on your game
Both players must set items to off during tournament matches. It randomly picks one person's item settings.
Both players must choose the stage chosen for the match. It randomly picks one person's stage settings.
Host set stock to 4. Otherwise, settings are default.

Communication:
We will be using the same PM system we did for Tourney #1, it helps us keep track of participation. Its also encouraged you use our irc channel (#Gaf_WFC on GlobalGamers.net) to coordinate matches and to wait for your opponent to get online at your scheduled times.

To use IRC:

Go to http://mibbit.com/.
Click on the drop tab and select GlobalGamers.net (half way down the list)
Enter "#Gaf_WFC" in the channel section
Choose a Nick
Click Connect and wait a second for it to start.

or:

Nabster92 said:
Also we made an irc channel for us gaffers playing nintendo wi-fi stuff.

server: irc.globalgamers.net
channel #gaf_wfc

One web based method of getting on:

http://www.globalgamers.net/?p=webchat
use gaf_wfc as the channel name.

Chatzilla seems to work as well in which to get to us you would type "/server irc.globalgamers.net" and then "/join #gaf_wfc".

And this is another link to a web based version:

http://irc.netsplit.de/webchat/?net=GlobalGamers&room=#GAF_WFC
just type in your nick.

Pretty sure you can get on through pidgin as well if you happen to use that already.

Makes things a lot more convenient to set up games and stuff.

To Sign Up Enter Your info like so as a reply in this thread.

Gaf Name / Brawl Name / Brawl Friend Code / Location

There are currently 40 participants in this tournament. Due to complications that arise in double elimination tournaments when dealing with byes, we may decide to Cap the number of participants at 32 (or 48, 64 if there is a surge in sign ups)..

How it will work, is the first 32 will be entered with anyone who signs up after considered a sub. If 16 more entrants enter after we hit the 32 mark, we'll have a tournament size of 48. Then #49 and on would be subs unless we hit the 64 mark.

We need 8 more sign ups to reach the next balanced bracket number of 48.

Current Participants:

32/32
Milabrega / Mila / 3050-7238-9831 / NY
Halycon / Ruka / 2878-9318-2279 / NY
JCX9 / JCX / 1160-9377-8688 / MI
ruffles / Rafa / 5241-1652-7755 / TX
Nabster92 / Nabil / 2148-7776-5580 / CA
Firestorm / Fire / 5026-4112-2259 / BC
ICallItFutile / Futil / 3780-8678-6774 / NH
Omega Factor / Omega / 3050-7320-6292 / Seattle (His account has not been approved yet, you'll need to use IRC to communicate with him until then)
Phantom Flapjack / Rimzy / 1891 0838 6258 / OR
Arol / Arol / 1590-4367-1683 / CA
Killa Sasa/ BADD/ 2191-7323-1308 / MB
Mugwhump / MUG / 4511-0242-5017 / AB
truendo / TRNDO / 5155 2598 7295 / NV
Hatchet Man/CJH/1976-9863-5190/OH
Iam Canadian / CNDN / 5155-2588-5720 / AB
Kwokuen | ! | 4940-5096-6077 | OR
Zann / Treb / 0387-8469-8440 / OH
Relix / Relix / 4253 3141 3743/ PR
Captain N / LAAG / 4425 1176 8528 / Pa
Threi / JJ / 4382-1830-4097 / Canada
yeb / yeb / 4081-5248-1418 / CA
JCX9 / Al / 1160-9377-8688 / MI (JCX9's Brother, PM this account or use the IRC until his account gets approved)
Kinosen / Kino / 2148-7824-6520 / FL
sonicspear64 / Sp64 / 4553-9634-1392 / OH
Dreavus / Drvs / 3952-6676-7586 / BC
Jiggy37 / Jiggy / 0559-6463-8106 / CA
Teknoman / Tek / 2621-2305-2572 / TX
TheCrow / Oscar / 1375-6917-8588 / IL
Gamer @ Heart / G@H / 2320-5868-0302 / PR (if the tourny goes long i'll be in CO by July)
Vanish/Vyse!/2835-9783-1864 /NJ, USA
Rotanibor Eht / -RoB- / 2062-8845-5765 / Southern CA
Crimmy / MPIRE / 0087-1980-7768 / NY

8/16
XiaNaphryz / K.J. / 4511-0161-5640 / CA
viewtiful_dru/1075 0395 5751/NY
SuperAndroid17: 3737-9185-0838
ScottNak / Scott / 4468 0630 7508 / California
Spirit Icana / ICANA / VA / 1976-9816-0018
Masked Man / M@ / 1976-9853-1849 / OH
OliveJuice / Nin / 1934-0346-5121 / Canada
Layzie / Jeff / 3394-3216-1907 / CA

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Halycon / Ruka / 2878-9318-2279 / NY

I'm going to lose in the first round. :D

Firestorm

BC / Firestorm / Fire / 5026-4112-2259

This probably won't take 2 months since I don't expect 128 people will sign up this time (with 64 people not showing up...)

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Firestorm said:
This probably won't take 2 months since I don't expect 128 people will sign up this time (with 64 people not showing up...)

:lol I hope at this point, Mila is checking to see if the people signing up played their past matches, if they were involved in the last singles, four way, and teams.

Milabrega

ICallItFutile said:
:lol I hope at this point, Mila is checking to see if the people signing up played their past matches, if they were involved in the last singles, four way, and teams.

No shows deserve a second chance, they'll just be pushed in with the new comers in the seeding (this goes for no shows and people who made themselves difficult to reach even in the later rounds).

Sweet, another tournament to frustrate the hell out of me due to lag. I'm in! I'll be moving at the end of the month; hopefully I won't be without internet for too long.

Phantom Flapjack / Rimzy / 1891 0838 6258 / OR

Arol

Arol / Arol / 1590-4367-1683 / CA

I don't actually care about being the highest seed in 9th place unless someone that tied with me wants to play, I'm curious about the seeding however.

You're going to seed higher seeds vs lower seeds/newcomers?

Welcome to Donkey Kong Country, boys.

Killa Sasa/ BADD/ 2191-7323-1308 / MB

Although I finished at a 4 way tie for 13, I'll take spot 16, I don't really care about seeding at this point.

Iam Canadian

and have the worst user name EVER
Iam Canadian / CNDN / 5155-2588-5720 / AB

And here I was thinking that we'd wait for the doubles tourney to end before we did this. >_>

I placed higher in that last tourney than my skills warrant. I'm sure this tourney will rectify that. :D

Jiggy, will you be providing statistical services again?

K

Kwokuen

Unconfirmed Member
Kwokuen | ! | 4940-5096-6077 | OR

I'd love to participate in this tournament, but I've got finals the week of June 8th. Argh.

Iam Canadian

By the way, I have a bit of a suggestion. I don't mean to derail the thread or appear as if I'm trying to tell Mila how to run his own tournament, because I'm not. But I've been mulling over a concept ever since the first GAF singles tournament, and I was wondering what people thought of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at an actual, real-life tournament, the "neutral" starter stage for each set is not determined in advance but chosen randomly at the beginning of each set, right? This leads to different neutral stages leading off each set and keeps the initial stage for each match in a round of a tournament different. However, under the current online system, the first stage of each set in a round is the same.

What I was considering was having a list of neutral stages determined by the tournament director in advance. This would include the obvious neutral stages like Final Destination and Battlefield, and, as at a real tournament, the more "controversial" neutral stages (Halberd, Pokemon Stadium) would be up to the tournament director's discretion. At the start of a set, the players would each set their random stage list to the list of neutral stages determined by the tournament director and then choose "random" at the stage select screen. Thus, the neutral stage for each set would truly be random, instead of being chosen in advance, bringing the online tournament a little more in line with traditional tournaments.

The only flaw I could see was the potential for abuse, for example, by someone removing a stage from their random stage list, or instead of hitting "random", choosing their stage. However, in an online setting, a lot is left to the honour system anyway (like not using a turbo or programmable controller) and the neutral stages are non-obtrusive levels that aren't supposed to affect the match regardless of which one is picked anyway (and if a non-neutral stage pops up, you know something's up). Besides, call me Pollyanna naive, but I like to think that GAFers hold themselves to a higher standard than to cheat.

I just think that this system would add an element of randomness to the first round of each set, especially since, under the current system, I tend to "counterpick" characters that are favoured by each round's neutral stage anyway. Anyway, yeah. Those were just my idle thoughts. I was just wondering what people thought of my idea. >_>

Nabster92

Yea the only problem I could see with that was more towards the beginning where people might not have had the random stage generator yet so it wouldn't have worked for everyone, but now this should be fine, and if need be we could use another smashboards tourney rule where one person can call a reset if they don't want to play on the random stage selected first and you just keep doing random again until you don't get that stage. So even if someone does just pick their own favorite neutral stage the other person can call a reset and make it a different neutral stage.

I'm down for implementing this as it would also cause less reason for delays as people don't really have to wait for the next stage to be announced.

Only question would be what stages we want to use for the neutrals. Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville definitely, maybe Yoshi's Island(brawl) and Lylat Cruise, I vote no on Pokemon Stadium 1 for having a ledge that manages to be more retarded than Final Destinations, and Halberd and Delfino I guess could fit in possibly but more iffy on those, I'm fine with them, but we'll leave the final decision to Mila.

Edit: Also 75m for banned stage? Probably doesn't really matter anyways. What was the most out there pick in the last tourney with no bannings...Hanenbow?

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
If someone chooses Hannenbow I am gonna use Luigi's tornado every fucking second.

Not that its any different now, but I can show you how annoying I can get!

truendo

Can't wait to lose in the first round and then lose in the loser's bracket!!

truendo / TRNDO/ 5155 2598 7295 / NV

Sorry. I put truendo as my Brawl name by mistake. Mila, if you could edit the OP it'd be nice.

Zann

Neo Member
I'm looking forward to this since I missed the last tournament. ;)

Zann / Treb / 0387-8469-8440 / OH

Firestorm

Yeah Iam Canadian, the biggest reason I didn't do it was because it's way too easy to abuse. I also wanted to explore the idea of the first stage being known before the fight.

nabster, you don't get to call a reset after the stage is picked. You can ban 1 stage before starting the set and it can be any one stage. The rule might vary by tournament though.

Milabrega

Added 75m to the banned list.

Iam ... we wouldn't be able to use your match selection method because it is way to easy to exploit for people with preferences towards one neutral stage over another. I think our current method of selecting the first stage each round is best, however if communication proves not to be a problem for this tournament (like it was for some people last tournament) by using the irc, we could do a strike through method. Basically each round I would have FD, Smashville, Battlefield and two other neutral stages listed. Each opponent can strike out two stages they don't want to play on and be left with the 5th stage.

Iam Canadian

Yeah, I really didn't expect you to implement my idea, it was just speculation on my part. >_> Besides, you're all correct about the potential for abuse, which I may have glossed over in my last post.

Nabster92 said:
Only question would be what stages we want to use for the neutrals. Final Destination, Battlefield, Smashville definitely, maybe Yoshi's Island(brawl) and Lylat Cruise, I vote no on Pokemon Stadium 1 for having a ledge that manages to be more retarded than Final Destinations, and Halberd and Delfino I guess could fit in possibly but more iffy on those, I'm fine with them, but we'll leave the final decision to Mila.

I think Yoshi's Island and Lylat Cruise are pretty solidly neutral. I don't see what makes any of them less than neutral, aside from Roger the Potted Ghost (Yoshi's Island) and the tilting (Cruise), both of which I would think are less of an interference than Final Destination's edges. I'm in favour of Stadium being neutral too, since it was neutral in Melee (not that I give the Melee stage ban-list much credit, since I think it had a lot of problems...but that's a subject for another time) and none of the transformations interfere too much, compared to, say, Pictochat. I can see Halberd being neutral because the hazards are ineffectual, but I have no idea about Delfino. I can see the argument on both sides there.

Nabster92 said:
Edit: Also 75m for banned stage? Probably doesn't really matter anyways. What was the most out there pick in the last tourney with no bannings...Hanenbow?

Who would counterpick 75m, anyway? >_>

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Come on, more people, its time to reclaim what is mine!

Hah! Take that Crimmy!

JCX

My brother's account hasn't been approved yet but he wants to play

JCX9 / Al / 1160-9377-8688 / MI

Nabster92

Arol said:
Ok. Hopefully more people sign up so the discrepancy is larger.

With my luck I'll end up facing Nabster 1st round.

Nah there's no way that could happen since you're gonna get a seed thats only like at most 2 below mine so we would likely be in completely different brackets.

Firestorm said:
Yeah Iam Canadian, the biggest reason I didn't do it was because it's way too easy to abuse. I also wanted to explore the idea of the first stage being known before the fight.

nabster, you don't get to call a reset after the stage is picked. You can ban 1 stage before starting the set and it can be any one stage. The rule might vary by tournament though.

Ah my bad, I think that was a rule in the UCLA tourney I went to so I assumed it was somewhat standard.

yeb

Milabrega said:
For ties in positions 5,7,9 and 13 all members of those positions can choose to battle one another for a higher seed position.
Nabster won our battle to determine 7th/8th seed.

Jiggy

Jiggy37 / Jiggy / 0559-6463-8106 / CA

I wonder how doomed I am this time. :O
Edit: Oh yeah, stats. I'll probably do it again, since I've already got my Excel framework in place this time and since this looks like a smaller tournament.

Milabrega

There are currently 28 participants in this tournament. Due to complications that arise in double elimination tournaments when dealing with byes, we may decide to Cap the number of participants at 32 (or 48, 64 if there is a surge in sign ups). If thats what we do decide on the first 32 to sign up will be entered into the tournament, and each sign up after that point will become a sub/replacement in the order that they sign up, since there will inevitably be drop outs and no shows.

Of course we'll do our best efforts to incorporate everyone, the current brackets which Nabster has made with the 28 thus far only deal with 4 byes which effect Round 1 universally and Round 2 losers bracket. Its the byes that move into the R2 loser's bracket that is causing the problems, if anyone has a solution please let us know

How it will likely work, is the first 32 will be entered with anyone who signs up after considered a sub. If 16 more entrants enter after we hit the 32 mark, we'll have a tournament size of 48. Then #49 and on would be subs unless we hit the 64 mark.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Milabrega said:
There are currently 28 participants in this tournament. Due to complications that arise in double elimination tournaments when dealing with byes, we may decide to Cap the number of participants at 32 (or 48, 64 if there is a surge in sign ups). If thats what we do decide on the first 32 to sign up will be entered into the tournament, and each sign up after that point will become a sub/replacement in the order that they sign up, since there will inevitably be drop outs and no shows.

Of course we'll do our best efforts to incorporate everyone, the current brackets which Nabster has made with the 28 thus far only deal with 4 byes which effect Round 1 universally and Round 2 losers bracket. Its the byes that move into the R2 loser's bracket that is causing the problems, if anyone has a solution please let us know

How it will likely work, is the first 32 will be entered with anyone who signs up after considered a sub. If 16 more entrants enter after we hit the 32 mark, we'll have a tournament size of 48. Then #49 and on would be subs unless we hit the 64 mark.
Excellent. Also, the quality of this tournament in terms of great players seems to be higher than Singles 1, so the possibility of having high-end matches is much, much higher

Arol

There are still 4days left until the deadline so I'm sure more people will sign up.

Maybe not for this tournament but for the next I'd think doing round-robin groups leading into the bracket would be cool. It could solve "bye" problems and with dwindling numbers would allow for more games per player.

Edit: Of course time constraints are always taken into consideration, hence if by the next tournament the numbers are much lower.

Top Bottom