• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur IV (360) Requires Hard Drive

h3ro

Soul Calibur IV Page on Xbox.com

The Xbox 360 Version of Soul Calibur IV will require the Hard Drive for Xbox 360. This along with the huge install on the PS3 version really makes you wonder about how much optimization Namco Bandai is putting into the game. Its unfortunate for Core/Arcade owners and for 20GB PS3 owners or those reaching the limit of their HD space on both consoles...

2niqt02.jpg

EDIT: This is most likely a mistake on Xbox.com

Kafel said:

The link shows that Alone in the Dark also requires the hard drive when it clearly doesn't. Just a mistake by the website. Move along everybody...

Since i've hated the idea of the Core SKU from the beginning, i'd say this is great news. Send a memo to Rockstar, time to take full advantage of the platform.

jarrod

Banned
At least FFXI had a good reason for requiring the HDD... what's Namco's want, I don't wanna clean the X-fridge. :/

Raistlin

That's just weird.

I can understand allowing a full install to lower load times, but it seems weird its mandatory. Then again, if each matches' levels are using a majority of the RAM available, loading times would be pretty terrible if you keep switching.

Geoff9920 said:
:lol Why on earth would a fighting game require a harddrive?

see above.

From a data allocation standpoint, a fighting game is actually one of the worst-case scenarios (especially if each level is maxing out RAM).

MrDaravon

Soul Calibur 4 of all games is the one to really force the 360 HDD issue? Not GTA 4? Really? Realllllly? Bizarre as hell.

The question, Hero, is will it require up to 9GB as with the PS3 version which is confirmed and is absolutely true?

Because of this it may be the end of the road for the PS3 platform as a whole, but is the 360 doomed also?

Please share your thoughts in this thread which has nothing to do with the other that you posted in.

Hunahan

Banned
Someone pointed out in the other thread that Left 4 Dead requires the Harddrive as well.

It will be interesting to see if it's HD-caching or if they are actually talking about installs.

With only - what is it - 14 gigs(?) of free space on the premium's HD, this could turn into a pretty big issue fairly fast.

We definitely need to hear what's going on in better detail.

We also definitely need to hear whether or not SCIV's load times are drastically reduced from, say, VF5. If they aren't......

Proelite

Totobeni said:
?? isn't the X360 the lead platform here ?

Maybe, but the developers could have seen the benefits of installing on the hard drive, and decided that it was worth it to do it on the 360.

h3ro

gregor7777 said:
The question, Hero, is will it require up to 9GB as with the PS3 version which is confirmed and is absolutely true?

Because of this it may be the end of the road for the PS3 platform as a whole, but is the 360 doomed also?

Please share your thoughts in this thread which has nothing to do with the other that you posted in.

I doubt it will require 9GB on the 360. I doubt it will have a very large install at all actually, I think NB just needed the HD to cache files temporarily and these files are larger than the larges memory card available on 360. Poor optimization for PS3 code (which they had difficulties with to begin with) is why their is such a huge file install/save on the PS3 side.

Yama said:
Just make it downloadable then, what the hell is the disc for? :/

And this, my friends, is where we are headed. And I love it.

h3ro said:
I doubt it will require 9GB on the 360. I doubt it will have a very large install at all actually, I think NB just needed the HD to cache files temporarily and these files are larger than the larges memory card available on 360. Poor optimization for PS3 code (which they had difficulties with to begin with) is why their is such a huge file install/save on the PS3 side.

That save file size is funny, but must be incorrect. What would you store in a 2GB save file? DLC is another matter entirely.

LCfiner

Hunahan said:
Someone pointed out in the other thread that Left 4 Dead requires the Harddrive as well.

It will be interesting to see if it's HD-caching or if they are actually talking about installs.

With only - what is it - 14 gigs(?) of free space on the premium's HD, this could turn into a pretty big issue fairly fast.

We definitely need to hear what's going on in better detail.

We also definitely need to hear whether or not SCIV's load times are drastically reduced from, say, VF5. If they aren't......

Isn't the reason there's only 14 GB free is because 6 GB is reserved for the caching that L4D and SCIV would be using?

So, you don;t need to worry about deleting downloaded demos or movies... but the cache could fill up fast, forcing reinstalls of game data if you play a lot of these HDD req'd games...

sneaky77

Proelite said:
Maybe, but the developers could have seen the benefits of installing on the hard drive, and decided that it was worth it to do it on the 360.

Well if the rumor of 2gb saves are true.. is likely because of that, not because of an install.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Proelite said:

so it's good thing , then it's not PS3 fault , it's Microsoft's , for not making the HDD standard in all X360 units/skus

Proelite

mr_bishiuk said:
I think he's being sarcastic perhaps..

No I wasn't.

A trend of mandatory installs started on the PS3, and possibly might be carried over to the 360 if the developers are allowed the freedom by Microsoft.

I would hate it if all my 360 games started to require several gig installs in the future. I have only 9 gigs free.

Xenon

Customer " I'd like Soul Caliber IV for my 360 Arcade please."

Game store clerk " Sorry the game requires a Harddrive"

Customer in a sad voice" But I dont have a Harddrive"

Game store clerk up holding box w/ Yoda Voice "You will, You will"

Top Bottom