• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur IV (360) Requires Hard Drive

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
The unlock key for Vader on the disc requires an install of 2gb's, the man will be kept in that time capsule until Nov. 8, 2008.

Hunahan

Banned
LCfiner said:
Isn't the reason there's only 14 GB free is because 6 GB is reserved for the caching that L4D and SCIV would be using?

So, you don;t need to worry about deleting downloaded demos or movies... but the cache could fill up fast, forcing reinstalls of game data if you play a lot of these HDD req'd games...
That wouldn't bother me at all.

My only issue is that I'm not keen on throwing down the $100 or whatever it is for a new harddrive.

So, basically, I hope you are correct.

Proelite said:
No I wasn't.

A trend of mandatory installs started on the PS3, and possibly might be carried over to the 360 if the developers are allowed the freedom by Microsoft.

It wont install on the 360, it will just use the cache presumably

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wat.

Xbox Originals? The copy of Be Kind Rewind I DLed last week?

Or were you just kidding...

Demos can go over the limit, too, but for some reason actual games released on Live Arcade can't go beyond 256MB (or is it 512MB now?).

chubigans said:
I DEMAND SOME ANSWERS

img_fewgoodmen.jpg

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE TRUTH!

WrikaWrek

Banned
Xenon said:
Customer " I like Soul Caliber IV for my 360 Arcade please."

Game store clerk " Sorry the game requires a Harddrive"

Customer in a sad voice" But I dont have a Harddrive"

Game store clerk in holding box w/ Yoda Voice "You will, You will"

Who even speaks like that?

"I want a game for my 360 arcade"

"I want a game for my 360 premium"

"I want a game for my 360 elite"

Proelite

mr_bishiuk said:
It wont install on the 360, it will just use the cache presumably

Hmm, then I guess I overreacted. I bought consoles because I don't have to deal with stuff like mandatory installation.

_leech_ said:
Demos can go over the limit, too, but for some reason actual games released on Live Arcade can't go beyond 256MB (or is it 512MB now?).

Why on Earth would Soul Calibur IV be released as a Live Arcade game?

h3ro

gregor7777 said:
That save file size is funny, but must be incorrect. What would you store in a 2GB save file? DLC is another matter entirely.

No clue, I'm guessing that save file is an incorrect translation as well. Yeah, of course you'd need a hard drive for DLC...

What do you think about Microsoft allowing a game requiring the HD on a "mainstream" popular game like this as opposed to something that is decidedly more niche like Final Fantasy XI?

We know Sony is install crazy and needs to start sticking some limits (smaller ones than the ones supposedly in place already) as well..

I wonder if MS phasing out the 20GB model might have something to do with this? That is to say, we're going to be seeing more and more games that require an install. I mean, if a fighting game is forcing the issue... and I recall that GTA dev mentioning MS had something in the works to alleviate the storage size issues...

LJ11

Stench said:
No seriously, I thought developers weren't allowed to do this on the 360?

IIRC a Football Manager game also required the HDD, and that was released a while ago. It's the exception rather than the norm, but it's happened in the past. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Edit: Beaten

LCfiner

fistfulofmetal said:
So who here doesn't have a 360 with a hard drive?

GAF is probably not representative of the number of sales of Arcade units...

If the HDD becomes mandatory for more games the next couple of years, that 20 GB HDD better come down to around 50 bucks... (yeah, right)

h3ro

Cdammen said:
Cue "lazy developers".

A possible 8+GB install on PS3 and having the distinction of being one of the handful games to require the hard drive on the 360?

Those better be some kick ass custom characters/arena/plastic surgery options...

LCfiner said:
GAF is probably not representative of the number of sales of Arcade units...

If the HDD becomes mandatory for more games the next couple of years, that 20 GB HDD better come down to around 50 bucks... (yeah, right)

A 60gig HD accessory at a decent price would lead to a flood of 20 gig HD's on ebay. Shame MS will probably ridiculously price it.

More than likely it has more to do with the create a fighter feature. With alot of customization features its clear a hdd would be needed.

Yaweee

From the beginning, I've hated the idea of a hard driveless 360, as games would have to be dumbed down to function without any storage space. While this goes a bit too far (okay, way too far), it is for a future where we can all pretend that the core system never happened.

:D

I have a 60 GB PS3 and I'm running out of space here. 3 GB for GTA, 4 GB for MGS4 almost 2 for Assasins Creed, its not cool. Not to mention RB songs, demos, music and PSN games. I guess I'm going to have to upgrade

h3ro

Quick avatar update Gregor :p

Maybe MS is going to greatly discount the 20GB HD now that there are rumors of a 60GB Pro taking its place?

h3ro said:
A possible 8+GB install on PS3 and having the distinction of being one of the handful games to require the hard drive on the 360?

Those better be some kick ass custom characters/arena/plastic surgery options...
Whoa, whoa, whoa, what is the source of that rumor?! Wouldn't that be the entire game?

EDIT:Holy crap, a 2GB save:lol

GQman2121

Banned
While this board has entered meltdown mode about installs for past games, I've kept my mouth shut this whole time because I understand that the PS3 only has a 1x Blu-ray drive. But what the fuck!!! 9GBs, as in 9000MBs? What the hell is wrong with them?

3 to 4 or even 5 gigs is one thing, but fucking 9?

They need to seriously reevaluate what exactly is going on on-screen that would require such a large install, and then think about it some more and make the appropriate changes.

Is this really where console gaming is headed?

h3ro said:
Quick avatar update Gregor :p

Maybe MS is going to greatly discount the 20GB HD now that there are rumors of a 60GB Pro taking its place?

In this world of shady rumors and misinformation, it's good to lay out the GAF facts. And attribute them to their proper sources of course. :)

About the hard drive...I kinda doubt you'll see a discount. Doesn't sound much like MS.

requires a HDD on 360?

i'm thinking typo...

8GB install on PS3?

i'm thinking typo...

so Sony let Namco slide past the 5GB TRC with SC4, but not Konami with MGS4?

yeah i dunno about that...

Maxirugi said:
pfft Football Manager needed an HDD back in 2006

http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/Maxirugi/fm06.jpg[/QUOTE]

i just read up on this game and it had 60mb save files o_O

if sciv has gigantic saves also then maybe it will require the hdd.

but that would mean save file in excess of the largest mc which is 512mb, right? i think someone made a mistake writing up the page or submitting it to xbox.com

I hope this is motherfucking true. Screw arcade/core.

Doesn't mean game will look super awesome or play optimized or I'm buying it on day one.

You know, I wasn't going to buy this game before, but because they manned up and made the game require the hard drive, I'm going to show my support.:D

Ricker

Good...I hope more games do this that way we wont get a framerate from hell like ME had...I hope games like Sacred 2 requires it also.

FFChris

Good stuff.

Who doesn't own a hard drive with their 360 anyway. Glad to see MS are letting devs finally use the thing.

What do you think about Microsoft allowing a game requiring the HD on a "mainstream" popular game like this as opposed to something that is decidedly more niche like Final Fantasy XI?
Technically it's no different from N64 like Majoras Mask requiring an upgrade in the form of the Expansion Pack to play.

I'm sure that people without a HDD don't see it in quite so... emotionless terms.

Top Bottom