• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soul Calibur IV (360) Requires Hard Drive

gregor7777 said:
The question, Hero, is will it require up to 9GB as with the PS3 version which is confirmed and is absolutely true?

Because of this it may be the end of the road for the PS3 platform as a whole, but is the 360 doomed also?

One fighting game has that much power over the entire consoles life? Why would the 360 be doomed as well?

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
I really find that hard to believe - has to be a mistake that will be corrected soon on Xbox.com...

I do find it funny that the person who made this thread isn't a person that usually makes these threads though... after the PS3 thread no less... :)

I just saw that PS3 SCIV thread, and saw how ginormous it was, so I'm gonna take a look at the fun that is without a doubt going down in there...

h3ro

Fenderputty said:
One fighting game has that much power over the entire consoles life? Why would the 360 be doomed as well?

Hyperbole my friend, he was speaking in hyperbole...

Skilotonn said:
I really find that hard to believe - has to be a mistake that will be corrected soon on Xbox.com...

I do find it funny that the person who made this thread isn't a person that usually makes these threads though... after the PS3 thread no less... :)

I just saw that PS3 SCIV thread, and saw how ginormous it was, so I'm gonna take a look at the fun that is without a doubt going down in there...

Oh come on! Horrible timing, I admit it, but its not like I quoted some small gaming site from the middle of Antarctica or something! Its Xbox.com!

a fanboy is the worst label you can give someone... :(
I'm an equal opportunity defender! :D

Raistlin

bumpkin said:
Damn, that is rough. What the hell is happening with this generation of consoles?

Its called 512MB of RAM. :p

For games who's structure prevents streaming (a fighting game being basically the worst-case-scenario), this is pretty much the only way to make the game playable. Loading anywhere near 512MB of RAM from a disc every time you switch arenas would render the game unplayable.

Just wait until next gen :\

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
I'm still getting both the 360 and PS3 versions, I can care less about install times or hard drives being required or have you.

GAMEPLAY

That is what matters.

This interests me greatly though. Does this mean that Soul Calibur 4 for the 360 will be using Gibabytes worth of space on the 360's hard drive? Because if it is.. Microsoft needs to get rid of the training wheels and allow all other developers to do the same.

Seriously, just force people to buy a hard drive. If they want to play the games, people will buy what is necessary. People on forums may overreact and take it to the next level, but most people aren't that picky. They'll probably be a bit inconvenienced, but then they'll go right on out to the store and pick up a 360 hard drive. With 2 to 3, maybe even 4, big releases people without hard drives would be in an even greater minority than they were before. Problem solved.

Football manager required a hard drive on 360 2 years ago, its hardly like this is a new thing. Most people don't do it because it limits the market ans isn't necessary

LiK

MarkMan said:
I'm still getting both the 360 and PS3 versions, I can care less about install times or hard drives being required or have you.

GAMEPLAY

That is what matters.

HELL YEA, i'll gladly install to look at those double dragons :lol

256px-Ivy_Valentine.jpg

spwolf

h3ro said:
I doubt it will require 9GB on the 360. I doubt it will have a very large install at all actually, I think NB just needed the HD to cache files temporarily and these files are larger than the larges memory card available on 360. Poor optimization for PS3 code (which they had difficulties with to begin with) is why their is such a huge file install/save on the PS3 side.

:lol

Raistlin

Deegs said:
For shame Namco, for shame. I only have 2GB left on my 20GB PS3 HDD.

Why for shame? They either cut back on the graphics, or force an install.

I'd rather have the better graphics.

MrDaravon

MarkMan said:

GAMEPLAY

That is what matters.

Explain that to my coworkers or anywone else who have Core systems. It's great for the majority (?) who have hard drives, but that's no consolation to the kid or casual gamer who now has to buy a seriously overpriced HDD in order to play a game maybe they've been really looking forward to.

If you could buy the 20gig HDD at a reasonable fucking price this would be a moot issue.

darkjacob

Banned
_leech_ said:
Since i've hated the idea of the Core SKU from the beginning, i'd say this is great news. Send a memo to Rockstar, time to take full advantage of the platform.
Yep microsoft should just discontinue all thier non-hd skus already.

Nose Master

I can't say that I mind. Maybe they'll up the size of XBL games and such, since they're finally ditching the core crowd. As long as it doesn't become a mandatory trend like PS3...

Then either you can only save so many custom chars on a memory card or, somehow, a complete save file with all characters takes up 8 times as much on a Playstation 3.

lolerz at the 360 haters in the first couple of pages. i mean its not a bad thing to have the install but it is incredibly funny how the 360 haters came out in full force on a false story

karasu

artredis1980 said:
lolerz at the 360 haters in the first couple of pages. i mean its not a bad thing to have the install but it is incredibly funny how the 360 haters came out in full force on a false story

full force? This thread is barely three pages. The ps3 version is in the double digits!

dzukela

_leech_ said:
Since i've hated the idea of the Core SKU from the beginning, i'd say this is great news. Send a memo to Rockstar, time to take full advantage of the platform.
they did!
720p/360 vs 640p/ps3

h3ro

karasu said:
full force? This thread is barely three pages. The ps3 version is in the double digits!

Proportional to size of the install... :p

The story got debunked guys, no HD needed... the thread can die now...

dzukela said:
they did!
720p/360 vs 640p/ps3

... and you just tossed it a phoenix down...

lupinko

gregor7777 said:
Because of this it may be the end of the road for the PS3 platform as a whole, but is the 360 doomed also?

Yah everyone, let's call it a day, since this guy said so.

andthebeatgoeson

Metalmurphy said:
I fucking hate this generation.
I get the feeling this generation hates the consumers. What with waggle, $599 and RRoD. They are actively attacking you. Maybe you should give PC gaming a try before it dies. There is always handhelds but good luck finding one not held back by touch and dated hardware or terrible formats.

Top Bottom