• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3/360 sales analysis

Opiate

After reading, many people on different occassions make vague guesses as to when they thought the PS3 would catch the 360 (if ever), I thought I'd put together some real analysis that people could point to when such questions are asked in the future. Of course, this analysis is open to change if something drastic were to occur.

I'll make two projections here, based off of three separate points of data, so as to give a more flexible answer. The first data point is the last quarter: based off of shipments of the PS3 and Xbox 360 in the last 3 months. This data point lacks the accuracy one might get from longer term trends, but emphasizes the state of the industry right now. The third point is the last five quarters: this projection will be based off the cumulative data of the last 15 months. This data point gives a less clear picture of what's been happening in the immediate past, but it gives a better longer term projection. The second point is in between, and has a bit of the strengths and weaknesses of both the other two.

With all of that stated, here are the numbers I've collated. All of this information can be found by simply checking Sony and Microsoft's financial reports, located here and here, respectively.

Total shipments, LTD:

Playstation 3: 14.41 Million
Xbox 360: 20.3 Million

This gives a disparity of 5.89 million units.

Shipments in the last 3 months:

Xbox 360: 1.3 Million
Playstation 3: 1.56 Million

At this rate of sales, the Playstation 3 would catch the Xbox 360 in approximately five years and eight months, or in February of 2014.

Shipments in the last 9 months:

Playstation 3: 8.78
Xbox 360: 6.9

At this rate of sales, the Playstation 3 would catch the Xbox 360 in approximately 2 years and 4 months, or in November, 2010.

Shipments in the last 15 months:

Playstation 3: 10.8
Xbox 360: 9.4

At this rate of sales, the Playstation 3 would catch the Xbox 360 in approximately five years and 3 months, or in October of 2013.

Short answer:

Thus, based on hard data, I predict the Playstation 3 will catch the Xbox 360, and it will do so at some time between the end of 2010/beginning of 2011 and the end of 2013. If anyone would like to make corrections to these calculations, please do. If all of my math seems solid, I encourage anyone to link to this data whenever this topic comes up in the future, which it most assuredly will.

Edit: thanks to Jtyettis for the correction!

Farnack

Banned
Come on. Where's the graphs?

But I do agree that PS3 will probably catch up. It has greater potential and more unique experiences that are truly exclusive to it.

Opiate

Wait, where am I posting opinions? I deliberately tried to leave all opinion-based analysis out of this discussion. These projections are based entirely on hard figures.

I really try very hard to keep opinion out of my analysis, so please tell me where my opinions are apparent. I'd also be curious to know who I'm apparently favoring, if that was implied.

A big hit (or hits) from either side could skew things considerably. These things are a pain in the ass to predict, that's why analysts are wrong a lot of the time.

Finally, MikeB's successor has stepped up the plate.

Now, in time honoured tradition, please start posting some pictures of various family members.

Farnack said:

But I do agree that PS3 will probably catch up. It has greater potential and more unique experiences that are truly exclusive to it.

Or...it has 100 million PS2 owners to sell it as an upgrade?

Dragon

Banned
SIP YEK NOD said:
Opinions are like assholes.

Everybody's got one, and they all stink.

yours is no exception.

No they don't all stink. The whole point of posting on a message board is to express your own opinion.

Vdragoon

SIP YEK NOD
Mine is no exception.
(Today, 11:35 PM)
Reply | Quote

szaromir

Banned
duhlines.jpg

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Opiate said:
Wait, where am I posting opinions? I deliberately tried to leave all opinion-based analysis out of this discussion. These projections are based entirely on hard figures.

but that's just like, your opinion, man.

drakesfortune

Directions: Pull String For Uninformed Rant
Opiate said:

I really try very hard to keep opinion out of my analysis, so please tell me where my opinions are apparent. I'd also be curious to know who I'm apparently favoring, if that was implied.

Did you leave room in your equation for price drops, or the velocity for which sales patters have switched from 360 being in command to PS3 now leading? There's so much that goes into this, that it's impossible to predict future sales from the past. If you could, you'd make a killing in the stock market, because you'd be able to do what most can't.

Suavo

Mass market point price is > 200. That's a few years away from now. Also, people claimed that this was the year of the PS3...

Then they pushed it to 2009.

Opiate

drakesfortune said:
Did you leave room in your equation for price drops, or the velocity for which sales patters have switched from 360 being in command to PS3 now leading? There's so much that goes into this, that it's impossible to predict future sales from the past.

This is very untrue. Outside of the occassional sustained bump early in a generation, it is extremely uncommon, if not literally unprecedented, for things to change significantly over the latter half of a generation. The only system that has ever seen a significant jump in sales after two years on the market was the PSP, and that only happened in one region (both the US and EU totals seem to be unchanged). All other systems I have ever examined have followed predictable and gradual sales trends in the latter stages of their lifespans, with sales following a traditional S-curve adoption model that most tech products exibit.

It is extremely possible to predict future sales from past ones, based on previous generations. In fact, there is no better predictive method than historical data.

Falagard

Farnack said:

No. It will catch up because it has a better brand.

Opiate

szaromir said:

Geez, I really seem to have caused a ruckus, and I can assure people it was not intentional. I still can't quite tell which "side" I'm supposed to be playing for here.

I'm not predicting a sudden Playstation 3 surge; in fact, that is precisely what I am not predicing. The actual real data -- real data points -- show that the Playstation 3 is gradually but consistently catching up to the Xbox 360. All I did was extrapolate that data in to the future. There are no curves and crazy jumps in my analysis; if someone were to chart my data, it would provide smooth, simple lines. Based on the actual sales of the last 3, 9, and 15 month periods, I get a catch-up date in the 2.5-5 year time frame.

Opiate said:

I predict
Right there.

if you look at your data points, they aren't linear, that is because sales aren't linear, and past performance cannot predict future outcomes.

This is like picking stocks based entirely on the graphs of past performance. You aren't taking into account anything outside of what has happened in the past. Sure, you can make a prediction on the data, but you cannot call that prediction fact.

Nobody knows how this generation will turn out, because 2 of the 3 players in it haven't come close to a mainstream price. price drops and big games in certain territories could shift the sales battle one way or another.

FrankT

Where in the world did you get updated shipment figures post June 30 2008.

Actuall known shipment figures June 30 2008;

360 20.3 million
PS3 14.41 million

Difference 5.89 million

There are no known shipment figures past this date.

Somehow you magically have the PS3 shipping 330k since then while the 360 has only shipped 50k, right. MS has only shipped 50k into the WW channel in two months with the introduction of the 60GB during this time frame, uh huh.

This is not an analysis.

I don't see the PS3 catching up to the 360 at this rate before the next generation Xbox is out. By that time it's not going to really matter. I also don't ever really see it catching up in US, ever. Software wise pretty much the same ball game.

I feel that the PS3 will catch up and pass the 360 at some point perhaps not ever in the USA but definitely on a global scale. I'll say 2011.

Falagard said:
No. It will catch up because it has a better brand.

Thats what they said about atari, and the sony walkman, and the american automotive industry.

The PS3 will have to work for 90% of the sales its gets. When there are only 3 players in the market, its not to hard for people to stack them side by side and compare them.

Who gives a shit? This generation is so different then all the others that nothing like that matters. Both consoles will continue to have the same support trough out the generation.

neight

Banned
Geez, lots of intimidated people here. I appreciate what you were doing Opiate and do think the PS3 will eventually catch up but as for when that's a wait and see game.

Dragon

Banned
neight said:
Geez, lots of intimidated people here. I appreciate what you were doing Opiate and do think the PS3 will eventually catch up but as for when that's a wait and see game.

I like how they get all pissy because the PS3 MAY catch the 360 in year 2013.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Distant Second Place Console Wars

serious business

Metaphoreus

This is semantics, and nothing more
SIP YEK NOD said:

yours is no exception.

A couple of points are relevant here: first, what you just stated--that all opinions "stink"--is itself an opinion, since some may believe that there exist opinions that do not "stink." If we take your opinion as true, then your opinion "stinks," and therefore we have to consider it useless or incorrect.

Second, saying that "Eventually the PS3 will pass the 360 in terms of unit sales" is not the same kind of opinion as "Green is better than blue." By the end of this generation, we will know for certain whether the PS3 ever caught up with 360 sales, and so the statement "The PS3 sold more than 360" will be either definitely true or definitely false. Looking at past sales gives us some idea about how the future might turn out, so that we can make informed judgments about whether or not it will occur. To say that his opinion stinks, without raising any doubt about his data or his calculations, is to ignore the topic of discussion. If you believe that the PS3 will not outsell the 360 eventually, then you need to offer some valid reasons in order to contribute to the discussion.

womfalcs3

Banned
Why do people attempt to model sales linearly? Video game hardware sales are more complex, and include many unknown future factors.

Eh, PS3 will catch the 360 in worldwide sales before too long since Japan doesn't care that much (small tales sales bump included) and only a few bits of Europe are enthusiastic. As far as US/NA sales go, it might happen eventually but it'll take awhile, especially if Sony continues to have just a 25k lead in sales since MS did get a bit of a head start (releasing machines that crapped out like 30% of the time, yeah, but that problem is over now).

Opiate, don't let them get to you. There's nothing wrong with your post. All the guys posting or laughing at the silly crayon chart are...well, let's just say they have something in common with the guy in the chart. You don't. I don't see how someone could look at your post and see that chart.

Come on, people. "Current trends continue" is the most common and most effective predictive method. There's no money praise in it, but it works. We've all seen how poor it is for the videogame market when a generation change happens, but for the rest of the gen, it works perfectly well.

Leondexter said:
Opiate, don't let them get to you. There's nothing wrong with your post. All the guys posting or laughing at the silly crayon chart are...well, let's just say they have something in common with the guy in the chart. You don't. I don't see how someone could look at your post and see that chart.

Come on, people. "Current trends continue" is the most common and most effective predictive method. There's no money praise in it, but it works. We've all seen how poor it is for the videogame market when a generation change happens, but for the rest of the gen, it works perfectly well.
Don't bother, there is no such thing as "logic" in console wars.

Top Bottom