• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware update v2.5 for the PS3

Snipes424

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/13/firmware-updates-ps3-v250-psp-v500/

Support for the PS3 Official Bluetooth Headset - we’ve told you about the upcoming Bluetooth Headset and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Confrontation Bundle on the Blog. This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode.

PlayStation Trophies interface enhancements - I know that many of you are busy collecting trophies and raising your PlayStation Trophy level. This update makes sharing and comparing your trophies with your friends even easier. On 1st part of the profile page you’ll see a symbol under level that represents level and the actual percentage towards the next level along with the existing level meter. The level symbol carries over to the trophy comparison screen where you will now be able to see your level, your friend’s level and the percentage towards the next level for both users along with all of the game by game comparison information you see today.

Friend status – Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

Video – This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

PlayStation Store – We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

confirmed- Flash 9 content becomes supported on the Internet Browser.

Now Live

Sounds like some good stuff.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

Fuck yeah

Gantz

Banned
Teetris said:

Fuck yeah

YES!!! I'm impressed. I wish they would have this feature for 360/PCs/Macs etc..

icechai

friend status is awesome, now i can finally go about trimming my friends list :p and all videos play in sequence? Finally! If only you can randomize the play though...

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Snipes424 said:
Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.
Yes!

carlosp

Banned
You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

YES......FUCK YES........FINALLY...........FUCK YOU SONY FOR LETTING US WAIT SO LONG :lol

Tntnnbltn

In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence.
Awesome. One step closer to video playlists.

Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity.
You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity.
Megaton!

Roxas

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments.

Yay!

This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

Boooo!

BeeDog

"This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode."

Hopefully this shit won't be put over the time and controller battery popups. :lol

EDIT: beaten. :lol

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
BeeDog said:
"This latest firmware installment enables High-Quality (HQ) mode, which delivers clear and wide-band online voice chat. On top of that, an added on-screen indicator shows battery status, volume level and use of HQ mode."

Hopefully this shit won't be put over the time and controller battery popups. :lol

EDIT: beaten. :lol

I knew one of you would pop out :lol

Ponn

Banned
Yay for the turning off after downloading, Sony joining deciding to join the rest of us in the present.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that Little Big Planet will be one of the games using the in-game screenshot feature.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I wonder how relevant this image by chubigans will now be.

ohsonyyou.jpg

Ponn

Banned
Gantz said:
:lol new to me. how do I enable it?

The easiest way is to just turn your 360 off in the middle of downloading. It will turn off but still finish downloading whatever and then completely turn off when finished with the download.

fanboi

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Yay for the turning off after downloading, Sony joining deciding to join the rest of us in the present.

I guaran-fucking-tee you that Little Big Planet will be one of the games using the in-game screenshot feature.

Do I smell...

A ban bet?!

Roxas said:

my thoughts exactly. SONY stop running your video game country like a democracy, dictate to the motherfuckers that trophies are mandatory and so are in game soundtracks and screen shots. look at Microsofts flourishing dictator ship, they even got some of Jpgs to immigrate, and they still force everyone to have soundtracks and achievements and compatible without hardrive... oh wait.

Rolf NB

Screenshot functionality! Finally! Hot chocolate all over my face!
... "supported on a game by game basis"? Urk.

carlosp

Banned
the good thing about this update is they fixed all the little features missing yet. I wish there was homebrew (not piracy) on PS3 so we could get so many great additional apps :)

cjdunn

Snipes424 said:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2008/10/13/firmware-updates-ps3-v250-psp-v500/

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

Sounds like some good stuff.

colberticalledit.gif

Link
This does not sound like screengrabbing from the XMB. This probably is hooks for developers to enable screen captures from within their game (just like YouTube export and custom soundtracks).

Sounds like a very good update. I do have a question though, regarding the HQ settings for headsets will this effect all headsets or just the new official one do people think?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Shinz Kicker said:
my thoughts exactly. SONY stop running your video game country like a democracy, dictate to the motherfuckers that trophies are mandatory and so are in game soundtracks and screen shots. look at Microsofts flourishing dictator ship, they even got some of Jpgs to immigrate, and they still force everyone to have soundtracks and achievements and compatible without hardrive... oh wait.
Maybe it's because of legal rights like with the custom soundtrack thingy

holy fucking shit, NOW THATS HOW YOU DO A FIRMWARE UPDATE!!!

THOSE ARE SOME HOT ASS FEATURES!!*@!@*!&

Dirtyshubb said:
Sounds like a very good update. I do have a question though, regarding the HQ settings for headsets will this effect all headsets or just the new official one do people think?
just the official one

Mahadev

Finally!

oneHeero

I really like everything in 2.5. I'm excited for my new headset(MGS one wasnt as good as I hoped for) and I'm looking forward to the SS mode and LOVE the auto turn off. No more dead controllers!!!

Top Bottom