• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware update v2.5 for the PS3

mollipen

Really nice little update here. Having just gotten introduced to the PSP's 1/2/5 minute scene jump option over the weekend, it's a great feature, and nice to see the PS3 get it as well.

Only real disappointment is the non-universal screenshot feature. Shouldn't be hard at all to implement it straight into the XMB, and it would be such a wonderful thing for those of us who review PS3/PSN games.

Really good update.

It's understandable they didn't want universal screenshot tool because some games like Betas you are not allowed to take screen shots of.

MoeB

AranhaHunter said:
Background downloading while watching BD movies and playing PS2/PS1 games and playing the offline part of games with online MP.

Also installing while downloading.

163349404_b2fe3dedc7.jpg

AndyD

aka andydumi
TTP said:
I don't think that's a given. It might be like custom soundtrack support via XMB (which doesn't work on games that already have that functionality in-game).

Probably this. DOnt expect it to be as deep as WIpeout HD's in game one. But I imagine thats what the Motrostorm 2 guys were talking about.

angelfly

In-game screenshot and power save setting are the biggest parts for me. Can't wait until it's released.

edit: Just want to add that I wish the screenshot tool would have been universal. Giving developers the choice to enable it or not will do nothing but amount to many games not supporting it (i.e. trophies, in-game xmb custom soundtracks). On top of that you have older games which will end up never getting patched. Just give them the option to disable it for stuff like betas and force them on all other games.

jorma

is now taking requests
bcn-ron said:
???
Hold down the PS button for five seconds or so. The keyword here is hold down, not tap (that just brings up the XMB). A simple text-based menu comes up, and you can turn off the controller from there.

Not unable as in "i have no clue how to do it", but rather unable as in "too fucking lazy to turn it off when i'm done gaming".

My xbox is turned off by the power saving feature far more often than by hand.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
So when this binary form of awesomeness is comming ? Today ,tomorrow ?

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

:D

spwolf

TTP said:
I don't think that's a given. It might be like custom soundtrack support via XMB (which doesn't work on games that already have that functionality in-game).

it might be simply based on what sdk games use (if it is newer that have it built in) - ie, it might work with many new/er games...

Baha

Video – This update adds the Scene Search feature similar to the feature on the PSP. Activating this feature while viewing a video on the PS3 will break the video up into scenes that you can quickly access by pressing the X button. You can break the videos into one, two or five minute intervals. In addition, you can now choose to have all of the videos under the video section of the XMB play in sequence. Go to Settings then Video Settings to turn this option on.

FINALLY.

I loved this feature on my psp. About time they added it to the ps3.

Oni Jazar

Great update but there is a huge need for the following:

Toggle Online/Offline friend notifications

Having notifications everytime someone logs in and out of PSN makes the whole notifications system annoying and many people TURN OFF notifications because of this (myself included). Unfortunately this means that inviting people into games or just general messages are ignored.

Please add the above feature Sony!!!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
LiquidMetal14 said:
It would be nice if you could configure it with your photobucket/flick/tinypic account so it auto-uploaded it.

If anything they may integrate with Picasa, or FLickr since Picasa is google owned like youtube (and they have a deal already) or Flickr since the official blog uses it.

BeeDog

Oni Jazar said:

Having notifications everytime someone logs in and out of PSN makes the whole notifications system annoying and many people TURN OFF notifications because of this (myself included). Unfortunately this means that inviting people into games or just general messages are ignored.

Hell yes, I approve of this request. It's goddamn annoying watching TV shows on the PS3 when people log in and out all the time.

Aru

Oni Jazar said:

Yes.
At the moment, disabling notifications = disabling ALL message notifications and friend signon/off.
This should be divided into 2 different options.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I wonder what can we found here :
In addition to all of the features above there are some additional features and enhancements included in 2.50.

Mik2121

Seriously, what's with Sony not adding new icons? At first I thought we would have a lot of icons for each game released, but seems like it won't happen ever...

And that's fucking retarded. I have at least 20 contacts on my friends list that have repeated icons. Mostly the Ratchet and Clank one (which is horrible, btw).

Fersis

Mik2121 said:
Seriously, what's with Sony not adding new icons? At first I thought we would have a lot of icons for each game released, but seems like it won't happen ever...

And that's fucking retarded. I have at least 20 contacts on my friends list that have repeated icons. Mostly the Ratchet and Clank one (which is horrible, btw).
Watch your words mister.... :D

-PXG-

Now THAT is an update. But I it sucks how they can't make shit universal. I hate this " game by game basis" bullshit. I want ALL of my PS3 games to utilize these features.

bill0527

Gantz said:
YES!!! I'm impressed. I wish they would have this feature for 360/PCs/Macs etc..

The 360 has had this option for well over a year.

I don't know what took Sony so long, but this is welcome.

Zoe

Nooreo said:
SONY!! Update teh FLASH PLAYER!!!

this is all i ask... and you will have my soul.

It's not under their control. It's a limitation set forth by Adobe.

Great that they're redesigning Account Management. Once the HTML store went the way of the dodo, the same should have happened to Account Management, so I hope it's no longer a web page.

I'm also hoping that if they're redesigning it, we'll finally get some new avatars.

On the other hand, I hope we don't get new avatars that you need to pay for, since we've got Premium Themes and all.

Wurm

Banned
As a PS3 Game developer from this point on, you are a fucking idiot if your game doesn't support firmware Screenshots, Youtube clips and Trophies.

- Trophy whores exist, like it or not. You put trophies in, they'll buy your game.

- Youtube and Screenshots are essentially FREE viral advertising for your game, easily spreading across the internet doing your PR departments job for them.

I really hope LBP is the first game to support the screenshot function, so that here on GAF we can have a template for the inevitable User Levels Thread with maybe 2-3 screenshots and a description for each one.

I also sort of hope the Account management redesign maybe means they'll bother adding new avatars for the first time in over a year.

tanod

when is my burrito
HOLY FUCK! That's fucking awesome. fuuuuuuck.gif

Probably beaten many times but FFS, Change the BATTERY/CLOCK CONFIGURATION ARGHHHH PS3 IS WORST SYSTEM EVAARR!!

AndyD

aka andydumi
Wurm said:
As a PS3 Game developer from this point on, you are a fucking idiot if your game doesn't support firmware Screenshots, Youtube clips and Trophies.

- Trophy whores exist, like it or not. You put trophies in, they'll buy your game.

- Youtube and Screenshots are essentially FREE viral advertising for your game, easily spreading across the internet doing your PR departments job for them.

I really hope LBP is the first game to support the screenshot function, so that here on GAF we can have a template for the inevitable User Levels Thread with maybe 2-3 screenshots and a description for each one.

I also sort of hope the Account management redesign maybe means they'll bother adding new avatars for the first time in over a year.

We know Youtube takes some game resources in the background. SO that wont be universal. But a screenshot should not be taxing, and like trophies could be a candidate for universality.

kenta

Has no PEINS
-PXG- said:
Now THAT is an update. But I it sucks how they can't make shit universal. I hate this " game by game basis" bullshit. I want ALL of my PS3 games to utilize these features.
Think of all these features as testing ground for the PS4, where they will without question be universally implemented

Guy Legend

A lot of nice things in this update. I prefer they release fewer firmware updates, instead releasing them with more stuff when they do hit. It appears as though there doing this.

tanod

when is my burrito
Revolutionary said:

Oh fuck!!!

This means I can only play the LBP beta until tonight. I logged in yesterday before it expired and left it on all night. Was going to play more when I get home from work.

DAMN!

Guy Legend said:
A lot of nice things in this update. I prefer they release fewer firmware updates, instead releasing them with more stuff when they do hit. It appears as though there doing this.
There's less to update. Two things I still want to see are:

Full RSS support for podcasts
More FF/RW options for audio

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Really nice functional updates. Love the video scene search and sequential play features and finally the ability to turn the controller off after a period of inactivity. Sequential play in particular was so needed to have PS3 as a functional video jukebox. Such a simple feature, I have no idea why it took them so long. I also hope you can set power off period separately for the controller and the PS3, that would be really much needed if you want to leave Folding running but keep forgetting to turn controller off.

What I don't understand is - what do they mean you can power PS3 off while installing? Right now you cannot do *anything* with PS3 while it's installing. XMB is inaccessible, hell you can't even cancel installing once it's started!

Top Bottom