• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firmware update v2.5 for the PS3

jorma

is now taking requests
Well i have been waiting for the Power Save settings. I dont know, but i seem to be unable to turn the damned thing off manually. This will be extremly helpful to me, and uncharged controllers will soon be a problem of the past.

pswii60

Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.
AT LAST! :)
Gantz said:
YES!!! I'm impressed. I wish they would have this feature for 360/PCs/Macs etc..
360 has had this option for last couple of years now. Just go to settings, background downloading and enable it. Then, when you turn off your 360 it'll go in to low-power mode until it has finished downloading, then will switch of completely, all automatically.

peetfeet

Snipes424 said:
They usually announce these things and roll them out pretty fast so I would expect within a day or 2.

SOCOM and the headset are released tomorrow aren't they? I'd expect it first thing tomorrow or maybe even later today?!

Doc Evils

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

jigaton.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
background download is cool. I'd like a sleep timer too. I'm annoyed that I can't charge my PS3 controller with a standard USB power plug, I can only use the PS3 or a PC. But when I have the PS3 on I'm *using* the controller. I'd like to be able to plug the controller in to charge, then have the PS3 automatically switch off when its finished charging.

Background Downloading - You now have the option to set the PS3 to turn off automatically after a background download or installation of content has completed. This option is available when you turn off the system from the button under [Users] while content is being downloaded or installed.

In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature.

ayumu.gif

I'm all for regular firmware updates if this is the kind of stuff we get. I'd love a 360-style "download whilst on standby mode" feature though, so you didn't need to have the graphics and stuff eating power too.

peetfeet said:
SOCOM and the headset are released tomorrow aren't they? I'd expect it first thing tomorrow or maybe even later today?!
they usually release PS3 firmwares on tuesday night american time, aka wednesday morning in europe

Very functional update.

No massive new features like invites or voice messages, but stuff that is really useful so I can't really complain.

I really wonder when the "HOME" FW update is going to take place?

Is this the big FW update for the fall or is there something else?

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
The Faceless Master said:
they usually release PS3 firmwares on tuesday night american time, aka wednesday morning in europe

well, I guess it needs to be up already when socom hits the stores no? So it should be early tomorrow morning in US at least.

Rolf NB

jorma said:
Well i have been waiting for the Power Save settings. I dont know, but i seem to be unable to turn the damned thing off manually.
???
Hold down the PS button for five seconds or so. The keyword here is hold down, not tap (that just brings up the XMB). A simple text-based menu comes up, and you can turn off the controller from there.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
bcn-ron said:
???
Hold down the PS button for five seconds or so. The keyword here is hold down, not tap (that just brings up the XMB). A simple text-based menu comes up, and you can turn off the controller from there.

If you wait 10 secs it will also turn off automatically without the need of selecting anything.

EktorPR

Private Hoffman said:
Very functional update.

No massive new features like invites or voice messages, but stuff that is really useful so I can't really complain.

I really wonder when the "HOME" FW update is going to take place?

Is this the big FW update for the fall or is there something else?

There has never been such thing, at least for the PS3. Last year, we got three or four updates within the fall period (Oct. thru Dec.).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
:lol steroyd, I think it's a relatively newer thing. Kinda like trophies were but more are getting on board. If it doesn't eat up memory then I can see it being in every game.

Double D

Finally, my PS3 won't be on at all hours of the day. Now all I need is a power toggle switch on the blu-ray remote. I swear if I so much as fart near that thing it turns on my PS3.

TTP said:
LOL yeah. I wonder if it will be supported by some already released games or by incoming ones.

it'll only work with games that already have screen capture ability.

resistance
mgs4
ferrari challenge
wipeout

anymore??

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
They need a web accessible social site backing up the screenshot capture system, with tagging etc.

If I capture a shot, I want to be able to go online and embed it in a forum post here on GAF immediately, for example. I don't want to have to save it to a USB stick, take it to my PC, upload it to tinypic...

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Wax Free Vanilla said:
it'll only work with games that already have screen capture ability.

resistance
mgs4
ferrari challenge
wipeout

anymore??

I don't think that's a given. It might be like custom soundtrack support via XMB (which doesn't work on games that already have that functionality in-game).

LiquidMetal14

TTP said:
I don't think that's a given. It might be like custom soundtrack support via XMB (which doesn't work on games that already have that functionality in-game).
That's what I was gonna say. This might be XMB based and not "ingame" based.

And I'm almost as excited for the damn headset as I am for the game. Such a great week this will be. New FW, SOCOM, headset, and Dead Space :O

Power Save Settings – You can now set your PS3 and wireless controllers to turn off automatically after set periods of inactivity. Go to Settings then Power Save Settings to turn on these features.

After two fuckin' years of dead PS3 controller battery .. At last

Rainy Dog

I'll be persuaded into buy the official headset if that HQ mode actually does what it says on the tin. Though it might be too much of a shock to the system to play a PS3 game online where I can actually hear what other folk say :lol

Twix

not this shit again :/

good update overall.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:
They need a web accessible social site backing up the screenshot capture system, with tagging etc.

If I capture a shot, I want to be able to go online and embed it in a forum post here on GAF immediately, for example. I don't want to have to save it to a USB stick, take it to my PC, upload it to tinypic...
Sure, that's nice. But...memory reserved for the screencap utility, more memory reserved to enable the browser in-game...how many developers are going to want to do that? Or is your forum session after your game session?

Friend status – Offline friends on your Friends list will have information below their avatars that will indicate how long it has been since they were last online.

So much awesomeness in just one firmware update? :eek:

When's this coming out?

gofreak said:

Or you could just open the PS3s web browser, go over to tinypic.com and upload them.

Lets be realistic now, Sony hosting an unlimited number of pictures for all games ain't gonna happen.

PlayStation Store – We’ve added a redeem codes option right on the store to make it easier to redeem your PlayStation Network Cards and promotion codes. In addition, PlayStation Network Sign Up and Account Management have been redesigned.

Uh oh.

Could this mean that we won't be able to set up Japanese or European accounts with a US PS3 anymore?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
kaching said:
Sure, that's nice. But...memory reserved for the screencap utility, more memory reserved to enable the browser in-game...how many developers are going to want to do that? Or is your forum session after your game session?

Independent of the game session.

I just want my pics to be uploaded transparently in the background to the web, along with any meta data.

Re. cost for Sony, use the flickr API and upload them to there if they don't want to have their own community. But I think they should have their own web accessible network. And data hosting now is cheap as chips.

LiquidMetal14

gofreak said:

I just want my pics to be uploaded transparently in the background to the web, along with any meta data.

Re. cost for Sony, use the flickr API and upload them to there if they don't want to have their own community. But I think they should have their own web accessible network. And data hosting now is cheap as chips.
It would be nice if you could configure it with your photobucket/flick/tinypic account so it auto-uploaded it.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Snipes424 said:
In-game Screenshots - this tool will allow everyone to capture, share and in other words, immortalize their favorite gameplay moments. This will be supported on a game by game basis. Please check back to find out which games will support this feature..

OMG, I hope Valkyria Chronicles is one of those games

:D

Elios83

It seems a really good update, unfortunately the screen grab thing is title based and not XMB based which means that it will take time to have the feature widely supported and it won't work with old games.

clav

Ponn01 said:
The easiest way is to just turn your 360 off in the middle of downloading. It will turn off but still finish downloading whatever and then completely turn off when finished with the download.
WRONG

pswii60 said:
AT LAST! :)

360 has had this option for last couple of years now. Just go to settings, background downloading and enable it. Then, when you turn off your 360 it'll go in to low-power mode until it has finished downloading, then will switch of completely, all automatically.

YES

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Maybe the screen grab is implented by the developer and not the OS.
Either way is cool with me.
I mean who the hell would want a OS feature that allowed you to take Killzone 2 private BETA screenshots, and break the NDA?

Hcoregamer00

Fersis said:
Maybe the screen grab is implented by the developer and not the OS.
Either way is cool with me.
I mean who the hell would want a OS feature that allowed you to take Killzone 2 private BETA screenshots, and break the NDA?

From the sound of it, the screen grab feature is by developer

Which means that it will barely be used at all, just look at the amazing trophy implementation. You would think that games released in November onwards would have this STANDARD by now.

Zoe

Hopefully this means you'll no longer have to pay for high-quality Mainichi Issho screencaps.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
gofreak said:

Seems reasonable to expect they'll set the option up similar to what they did with video capture. The blog post doesn't really get into full detail yet about how the option is setup.

Although, I guess I would have expected to see screen cap ability before video cap ability, so anything's possible :p

llTll

Banned
the real question is.

will the ps3 go to lower voltage mode when the background downloading is enabled ? or you still can browse /play /watch and do all the other stuff.

if its the second, then its kinda useless.

if its first like the 360 is, then nice

Guled

Hcoregamer00 said:
From the sound of it, the screen grab feature is by developer

Which means that it will barely be used at all, just look at the amazing trophy implementation. You would think that games released in November onwards would have this STANDARD by now.
I heard that all games from 2009 and onward will have to have trophies.

Hcoregamer00

Guled said:
I heard that all games from 2009 and onward will have to have trophies.

It better be like that, I am sick of having level 1 just because the 8 or so PS3 games I happen to buy don't support trophies.

everything sounds good until:

I wish something like this was supported throughout all games from the xmb.

Aladuf

Banned
Sweet, I love that it's getting the background downloads while the systems' off. I've been wanting that for a while.

gcubed

Hcoregamer00 said:
It better be like that, I am sick of having level 1 just because the 8 or so PS3 games I happen to buy don't support trophies.

The trophy system was released late and it has been included as a standard feature for all games that will release 2009 and on. It would be almost impossible to get games that were gold, or going to gold in a few weeks to support trophies as it would delay the launch of the ps3 version, which Sony can not afford. This has been posted about numerous times in almost every trophy thread.

back to topic, awesome freaking update of some features that should have been there from day 1 (hell even the Wii has an auto off feature for the controllers)

Are they holding the Home info as a surprise, i mean it wasnt really a secret when someone broke NDA and posted a topic from the official beta forums saying that it will be released with 2.5 in the middle of October.

Background downloading while watching BD movies and playing PS2/PS1 games and playing the offline part of games with online MP.

Also installing while downloading.

Top Bottom