• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I'm bored, so let's talk about James Cameron's Avatar

Status
Not open for further replies.

I will update the OP later on to give it the love an official thread for this movie deserves, but I thought I would finally make one thread for all the AVATAR information that comes about.

To kick things off, here are some comments from an interview with Jon Favreau, who saw visited Cameron and saw glimpses of AVATAR:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38907
Quint: But you saw AVATAR, or you saw some pieces, so will that be the game-changer you think?

Jon Favreau: Look, I went and saw a digital 3-D projection of BEOWULF when that first came out. And that’s one of those films where in 3-D…I don’t know if I would recommend the film on its own merits, but in the a CG environment I was recommending it to people because the experience was so different it was so dream-like in the way that you perceive it and I think it hits you it hits your brain in a different way. It makes the experience a different experience, it feels more like a dream than a movie, and I thought it was extremely effective in that.
Click here to read along with the next bit in amazing Sound-O-Text!
Jon Favreau: And in watching the way that James Cameron is approaching AVATAR… he’s really pushing the boundaries on motion capture, he’s integrating live action with motion capture and CGI. It takes a painstaking and technical approach to that. And he really wants to make it a very visceral, emotional experience and he’s… he’s a bit of a P.T. Barnum in the sense that he likes to put on a big show.

He’s sort of tireless in how much he invests into it as far as his time and effort. You know, he doesn’t make a lot of movies, so a lot of thought and effort goes into each one. And I think that he’s trying to present this format in a way where it is a game-changer and in seeing it I think it’s the future. I don’t think it’s a flash in the pan. I think it’s going to open up a whole new door and I think more so than the glasses it becomes about how many screens could actually present it in its pristine form.

The amount of screens is just growing at a very, very fast rate in the states and I think in Europe as well and I think AVATAR is going to be the kind of movie that’s an event that you have to go see and you want to see again just to understand what you’re looking at. And then you still have his very effective storytelling. He really creates an adventure and draws you into it in the hero’s journey sense of storytelling, the Joseph Campbell sense of storytelling. I really liked the bits that I saw and I saw all the various stages of finished, but he’s a purist in the way he approaches things, and he’s very meticulous.

Jon Favreau: You’re moving back and forth as far as what media you’re creating. You really value mentors and people you can learn from when you’re in my line of work. Because everybody’s breaking new ground and there aren’t that many people who are at the top of their field. Fortunately people like Jim are very generous with their time and with wanting to share what they’ve discovered with other filmmakers, so I learned a great deal about motion capture, a great deal about cgi, a great deal about 3-d and digital photography, from spending some time with him. And I also have learned a lot just from watching his movies. So I’m glad he does what he does and I’m glad that he’s been so generous with his time and knowledge.

And a lot of what he’s using we’re exploring using similar techniques in IRON MAN 2 because it is a game-changer from a production standpoint certainly in the way he’s using motion capture and operating a camera within a volume and the way that the pipeline works now is… the line between animation and live action is blurring in many ways and I think that we could borrow a lot from what people have learned through animation as far as making a movie and not just storyboard, animatic, pre-viz, shoot plates, cut it together with post-viz, deliver it to the vendor and then hope you get the shot there in time for the movie’s release.

And you’re crossing your fingers all the way till the sound mix. The way that Jim’s doing it, it’s a much more organic process where post-production, production, and pre-production all sort of roll into one another and you’re moving back and forth between those media.

tak

Does that poster really have the tag line "Believe it, or not"? :lol

In either case, I'm looking forward to this movie.

Miyahon

cvkpaladin said:
But the poster says Summer 2009... =(

It was suppose to come out on May 22, 2009 but they decided to delay it until December. :(

I don't think that poster is an official one...

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Miyahon said:
I don't think that poster is an official one...
That makes the believe it or not line ever better! :lol :lol

JayDubya

Banned
Ugh @ the poster.

Awful tagline. Generic look. Tells us nothing about the movie's setting.

The film? Of course it's going to be good, so who cares? :)

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
How is this different from the weekly Avatar threads you post every week?

Ceres

Banned
Solo said:
You know you'll make at least 15 more AVATAR threads before December 2009, Sculli, dont lie.

I know, why would he want to restrict himself to only one thread instead of making a new one every week?

Zyzyxxz

Egg Shen said:
He's doing an adaptation of the Avatar cartoon series.

Hmm I wonder what the twist will be.

That the kids arent actually fighters with magic powers but some drunks in a bar who had too many shrooms?

Count Dookkake said:
Post the trailer.

Seriously, I don't want to hear about Avatar until I see a trailer. All this cryptic "it's the best thing of all time" talk is getting unbearable. Show me, god dammit

PhoenixDark said:
Seriously, I don't want to hear about Avatar until I see a trailer. All this cryptic "it's the best thing of all time" talk is getting unbearable. Show me, god dammit

Ask Scullibundo. He has a trailer for it already.

Okay, so I just woke up to this thread title change. I created the official thread because people were complaining about my making a thread every other week to post new information on it. I'm happy to do it either way, so it's up to you guys.

As for the poster - it's obviously a fake, but one of better faked posters out there.

black_13

Banned
Fuck its a year away, but they've already shot all the actor's parts so they could show us a few pics at least. Or cameron wants to make a good first impression.

jaypah

black_13 said:
Fuck its a year away, but they've already shot all the actor's parts so they could show us a few pics at least. Or cameron wants to make a good first impression.

well they're keeping all of the shots of the actors under wraps because between the movie leaving theaters and coming out on blu ray it will be revealed that one of the actors is indeed completely digital. this digital character will even be nominated for an oscar. BELIEVE IT OR NOT!

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Scullibundo said:
Okay, so I just woke up to this thread title change. I created the official thread because people were complaining about my making a thread every other week to post new information on it. I'm happy to do it either way, so it's up to you guys.
People complained because your threads weren't even newsworthy. They're just the same damn interviews with Cameron and others praising Avatar in vague terms. It's the same stuff that's been said over and over again since before the damn film even went into production. We're all super fucking sick of industry peeps' testimonials. Wake us up when there's actual news, like photos or a trailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom