• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a new James Cameron directed Terminator movie save the franchise?

VulcanRaven

Do you think James Cameron could save the franchise or have 3, Salvation, Genisys and Dark Fate done too much damage? The last two didn't make profit so it looks like the audiences are not interested anymore. Would be very interesting to see how a Cameron directed Terminator movie would do nowdays. Would it be a big success like his recent movies or not?

Cameron has said that a new movie is possible but nothing has been decided. He owns the rights.

“If I were to do another Terminator film and maybe try to launch that franchise again – which is in discussion but nothing has been decided – I would make it much more about the AI side than bad robots gone crazy,” Cameron said.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Times have changed.

Artificial intelligence and time travel are fascinating templates to build a film around.

For it to be good IMHO I don't see it happen in the Blockbuster context.

Edit: at least not in a constant authentic fashion.

Last edited:

Rival

Gold Member
I don’t hate any of the Terminator movies. I think it would be interesting to see a modern one done more in the style of the first one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It needs to be a horror like the first one and not an action movie. That's the only way I'll be interested. Skip all the humour from the sequels too.
There's really nothing great to do after T1 and T2. That was it. There's not enough there to make a movie without Arnold, because he carried a ton of the movie. T1 was awesome. T2 didn't settle on doing more of the same, and flipped Arnold into the hero and raised the stakes on everything else.

It's done.

Laptop1991

If they brought back The Sarah Connor tv show, that might, they cancelled it for those 2 film's, it was really good, the films were poor, so i don't think a film would save it, not the way they are written now.

Batiman

Banned
If they continue with a new 3 it might work. If the Cameron hype kicked in. Sometimes internet hype just snowballs for some films and everyone jumps on the bandwagon of hype. Some deserved some not so much. It’s weird how some things just catch on and blow up nowadays. It’s hard for publishers to read I’d assume.

And it’s not just “ make great movies and it’ll sell tickets!” Some great movies flop and some shit films blows up. I find it hard to judge the market nowadays.

Spyxos

Gold Member
No matter how good the new Terminator would be, we have arrived at what the first 2 films warned us about back then. It would simply no longer be exciting and unique.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
I didnt mind 3. I haven't seen anything after that
triple-h-disgusted.gif

Cameron doesn't want to do a new Terminator because it doesn't make any fucking sense. The story is over, the gimmick is over, the action is over. There's a reason why every Terminator movie after T2 is a dud.

Fans: "Make a better T3"

Studio: "Alright"

maxresdefault.jpg

Fans: "Try again. We want a better T3."

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

We are stuck in an endless loop, much like the timeline of Terminator. I'd much rather have a sequel to Salvation than anything else taking place in present day and featuring old man Arnold again.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No, the series is done and the story was complete after part 2.

Also, Cameron will never do anything than Avatar until the retires.

VulcanRaven

Cameron doesn't want to do a new Terminator because it doesn't make any fucking sense. The story is over, the gimmick is over, the action is over. There's a reason why every Terminator movie after T2 is a dud.
He produced Dark Fate and is writing a new movie.

Laptop1991

No, the series is done and the story was complete after part 2.

Also, Cameron will never do anything than Avatar until the retires.
Sorry, gotta disagree here, it just got interesting when John Connor and Shirley Manson's T1000 went into the future, then they cancelled it because the movie studio said so, so it didn't compete with their terrible film.

Sonik

James Cameron is way too fucking old to recreate the brilliance of the first 2 movies and imo Avatar proves that, technically its amazing but way too fucking generic and forgettable to even be compared to the amazing movies Cameron used to make. The franchise never meant to go beyond the 2 movies anyway, the timeline becomes way too clusterfucky when you introduce too many new elements to it.

Fbh

Nah.
They could have recovered after T3 (which wasn't that bad IMO). But at this point the entire franchise and story is too much of a mess.

"Ok now it's in the future with a new cast of actors and we are getting ready to finish the fight alongside Batman"
"Wait no, now we are going back but it's an alternate version with yet another cast of actors but now Sarah Connor is a (terribly miscast) badass from the start and there's an evil John Connor or something"
"Wait no, now we are post T2 with the OG cast again but also John is dead and there's a new different Skynet and the new resistance leader is some mexican girl and the Terminator got married or something"

Also while a new movie by Cameron might have awesome visuals and production values. After Avatar 1 and 2 I doubt the story and characters would be any good.
The plot in Avatar 1 was already the weakest part and somehow the second part was worse in that regard.

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member
He produced Dark Fate and is writing a new movie.

Getting producer credits really doesn't mean a lot, but to be fair Dark Fate was maybe the least terrible Terminator sequel aside from maybe Salvation. Maybe. A lot of maybe's.

I honestly don't see Cameron directing anything other than Avatar 4, 5 and 6 until he's dead. Dude's 68 years old.

Aggelos

Terminator Dark Fate was kinda tasty and digestible, but the series had already run its course. So it was too late for Dark Fate to have any sort of impact on a franchise that had run its course.
Therefore, we don't need any more Terminator movies going forward. They will do more harm than good.

The only 3 Terminator movies that I watch and enjoy are : T1, T2 Judgement Day, and Dark Fate. I just disregard and snub all the others.

xrnzaaas

Fuck no, Woke Fate was much worse than I imagined, it basically spit on Arnie and most of all on John Connor's character. Cameron needs to take a step back and allow someone else to make a new Terminator movie (or a good tv series).

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The biggest changes to Terminator being a success is getting rid of Linda Hamilton and Arnie. They are both ancient, can barely act and speak, and having them in a movie is more like a farce.

Maybe try doing a big budget and gritty remake of the series. Just dont make it super CGI and cheesy. The first two movies were great because even though you had Robert Patrick doing his liquid metal stuff, most of the rest of the movie seem grounded. The following movies had all kinds of crazy CGI battles which were stupid.... including Dark Fate where Terminators march out the ocean with shit looking CGI.

These recent Terminator movies had dumb movie plots too. So it's not just the actors. For example, how can Arnie become Carl the Carpenter and marry a human who has a son?

Last edited:

JonSnowball

Note: James Cameron said during the lead up to Genisys and Dark Fate that he enjoyed the scripts and they were going to be great Terminator films.

Short answer - No. Terminator 3 should have been directed by James Cameron in the late 90s, and future titles should have been future war/self-contained stories.

Top Bottom