• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a new James Cameron directed Terminator movie save the franchise?

Nah, just let it die already. There hasn't been a good Terminator movie since T2. Sometimes, you need to know when to throw in the towel.

Reactions: Fuz

MayauMiao

Can't reboot Terminator anymore. The franchise is done. We all know the plot, nothing will surprise us anymore like what T1 and T2 did.

They have to come up with a completely different plot, creative writing, great actors and actresses.

Unfortunately with current Hollywoke climat, such thing is impossible.

Danknugz

they would need to shoe horn sexuality into it somehow to keep up with the times. maybe a sexually aware t-6900 that did not discriminate against males females or genders of robots

diffusionx

Gold Member
The big problem with Terminator, like so many other things, was thinking of it like a "franchise." It was a terrific first movie and a terrific second movie. That is *it*. The world doesn't need a Terminator cinematic universe. Of course, a James Cameron directed T3 would probably be excellent, because he's an excellent filmmaker, but that would just mean that there are now 3 great Terminator films instead of two.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
The big problem with Terminator, like so many other things, was thinking of it like a "franchise." It was a terrific first movie and a terrific second movie. That is *it*. The world doesn't need a Terminator cinematic universe. Of course, a James Cameron directed T3 would probably be excellent, because he's an excellent filmmaker, but that would just mean that there are now 3 great Terminator films instead of two.
Another problem is any old sci-fi franchise amping up the CGI where the movie is probably 25% real streets, 75% recorded on a green screen. It gets to be CGI overload of crazy battles with robots or aliens whizzing around on screen at light speed in unrealistic motions.

The old movies could have low budget/low tech effects and Arnie bodydoubles on a motorcycle, but at least the movie is more grounded.

Kind of like gamers preferring WWII or military games over crazy sci-fi arena shooters with Halo hoverbikes, lasers and plasma rifles. It just gets too space techie.

Sonik

Terminator Dark Fate was kinda tasty and digestible, but the series had already run its course. So it was too late for Dark Fate to have any sort of impact on a franchise that had run its course.
Therefore, we don't need any more Terminator movies going forward. They will do more harm than good.

The only 3 Terminator movies that I watch and enjoy are : T1, T2 Judgement Day, and Dark Fate. I just disregard and snub all the others.

Terminator's backstory was absolutely idiotic, the new female John Connor was laughable, the scene where that scrawny girl pretends to be a leader in the future was fucking hilarious, even old Sarah Connor was barely convincing. The only thing good about that movie was Mackenzie Davis' character. Salvation is the only Terminator movie aside from the classics that isn't completely fucking terrible imo.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
There is only one possible option...
ZtKWf2i.jpg

Fuck you...Murphy!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Can't reboot Terminator anymore. The franchise is done. We all know the plot, nothing will surprise us anymore like what T1 and T2 did.

They have to come up with a completely different plot, creative writing, great actors and actresses.

Unfortunately with current Hollywoke climat, such thing is impossible.
The vast majority of creatives churn out predictable plots. For every crazy movie with weird plots like Memento, The Prestige, or Glen Garry Glen Ross, there's probably 50 that are good guy beats bad guy, guy gets the girl, the kidnapped child gets recused, happy ending. Even horror movies are predictable because most have an ending where the evil monster isnt dead after all, or a sequel comes out and everyone knows it'll be a dumb way the monster gets resurrected... only to be rekilled again for the 6th time. Hell, how many horror or monster movies have the creature coming to life due to a lightning bolt? Geez.

If the Terminator franchise survives and Arnie and evil Skynet have run its course, change it up and see where it goes with an all new cast.

Turn the tides and make the movie from Skynet's point of view and the rebels are the evil doers where the entire series has been a sham. John Connor, Sarah Connor and the rest of the rebels are terrorists or whatever and Skynet is actually Earth's last defence since the rest of human good guy military are dead.

Might be dumb plot as I'm someone who's shittiest marks in high school came from English class, but hell at least it's something different.

Last edited:
Make a movie about John Connor living in a world where he's not the messiah. How he deals with it. While AI slowly starts to take control of every aspect of human life.

Just stop using the tired template of good/bad guy travels back in time to protect/kill person who'll be important in the future.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Make a movie about John Connor living in a world where he's not the messiah. How he deals with it. While AI slowly starts to take control of every aspect of human life.

Just stop using the tired template of good/bad guy travels back in time to protect/kill person who'll be important in the future.
The decrepit conditions seen arent the fault of Skynet. It's the rebels oppressing the common folk where John Connor is asswipe dictator. Skynet is an automated defence force there to clean it up.

I'd watch that.

And at the end of the movie, Skynet wins!

bender

What time is it?
The biggest changes to Terminator being a success is getting rid of Linda Hamilton and Arnie. They are both ancient, can barely act and speak, and having them in a movie is more like a farce.

That's a lot of the reason that Arnie was great in the first place but I digress.

bender

What time is it?
I agree in the old films. But not in the new ones. Especially when he's playing a Terminator at around age 70 with facelifts.

That's the part I digress about. Old Arnie doesn't work so I agree with your greater point. I mostly hate sequels anyway so we certainly don't need more Terminator.

UnNamed

Banned
The problem with Terminator is they made a first thiller/horror movie, a second action movie, then they thought action movie was the perfect fit and they stayed there making the same movie over and over.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cameron co-wrote Dark Fate and it was his decision to kill John Connor, and he planned out a new trilogy from that movie. So I’m pretty sure even if Cameron directed another one people here would hate it.

StueyDuck

Wasn't he fairly involved in the most recent poop that was shat out...

I love James Camerons work but it's clear he's done caring with that Franchise, I don't see a good sequel coming from him any time soon.

StueyDuck

He can’t craft an interesting Avatar plot how could he save the Terminator franchise?
I'd hardly argue that Terminators (1 and 2) plot is some work of genius, future robot goes back to kill person so future doesn't happen, That's kind of the entire plot of the franchise.

It's the great action/set pieces, likeable characters and actors with good charisma that made us all love it.

Last edited:

Red5

A movie set during the end of the future war, in the original timeline, with an old John Connor and it ends with him sending either Arnold or Kyle Reese back in time to stop Skynet from escaping defeat, a prequel of sorts.

ManaByte

Gold Member
A movie set during the end of the future war, in the original timeline, with an old John Connor and it ends with him sending either Arnold or Kyle Reese back in time to stop Skynet from escaping defeat, a prequel of sorts.
That was Genesys.

Red5

That was Genesys.

Didn't even bother watching it, I gave up on the franchise after Salvation. But reading up on the plot it seems only the beginning is in the future war then the rest is time travel basically rehashing T1/2, what I'm saying is a prequel set in the future war in the original timeline without any time travel until the very end where they send Kyle back to save Sarah.

VulcanRaven

Didn't even bother watching it, I gave up on the franchise after Salvation. But reading up on the plot it seems only the beginning is in the future war then the rest is time travel basically rehashing T1/2, what I'm saying is a prequel set in the future war in the original timeline without any time travel until the very end where they send Kyle back to save Sarah.
That is how Genisys starts and Kyle Reese is the main character. Its shown in the trailers. I didn't like how they cast Jai Courtney as Reese.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
James Cameron is cool, but how about some fresh blood. I want James Corden to direct a terminator

ShadowNate

No, they killed this forever. Should have left it at T2.

There's an opportunity to do something original and more updated with current and future trends in tech and AI. Something that won't be Terminator and hopefully won't have time-travel at all.

With the state of Hollywood of these days, though, of "asset flips" powered by trash scripts, I have little hope.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
I thought the new one was fun. Obviously no where near the first two, but not the worst way to spend a couple hours.

1. The Terminator
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
(massive gap)
3. Terminator: Dark Fate
4. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Terminator Genisys

belmarduk

I can't see the studios taking on something like that. There have been so many high-profile flops recently and I don't think any of them would chance it.. especially with Cameron on board.. he's very expensive, I'm sure.

I agree with others than a lower-budget suspenseful horror film in the vein of the first one is a Terminator movie I would like to see most!

VulcanRaven

I can't see the studios taking on something like that. There have been so many high-profile flops recently and I don't think any of them would chance it.. especially with Cameron on board.. he's very expensive, I'm sure.

I agree with others than a lower-budget suspenseful horror film in the vein of the first one is a Terminator movie I would like to see most!
It looks like Cameron can do what he wants. More Alita: Battle Angel movies are coming even though the first one didn't do well:

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
The problem with Terminator is they made a first thiller/horror movie, a second action movie, then they thought action movie was the perfect fit and they stayed there making the same movie over and over.
The romance in "Sarah Conner Chronicles" was an interesting direction to take :p

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought the new one was fun. Obviously no where near the first two, but not the worst way to spend a couple hours.

1. The Terminator
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
(massive gap)
3. Terminator: Dark Fate
4. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Terminator Genisys
Only reason Dark Fate was any good at all was because Cameron co-wrote it and had creative control. That’s the only way they got Hamilton back. But again, killing John was his idea.

Top Bottom