• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Could a new James Cameron directed Terminator movie save the franchise?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I thought the new one was fun. Obviously no where near the first two, but not the worst way to spend a couple hours.

1. The Terminator
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
(massive gap)
3. Terminator: Dark Fate
4. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Terminator Genisys
I never saw Genisys.

1. T2
2. T1
3. Ill go against the grain and say Salvation. I thought it was decent, but I'll admit I only saw it once way back. Maybe on a second viewing I wont like it. I liked the scene with the T-600. I'd like any future Terminator movies to be more grounded, instead of crazy sci fi CGI
4. T3. Not bad. Just average. The chase scene with that big truck is awesome
5. Dark Fate. Absolutely dreadful. Married man Carl the Carpenter was the worst of it all, followed by the worst Linda Hamilton phoned-in acting ever

Last edited:

MayauMiao

Salvation could have been a proper sequel but I think Christian Bale meltdown & the trailer revealing the plot twist killed any sort of hype it had.

Red5

Salvation just didn't get the right atmosphere for the future war, everyone thought it was going to be like the snippets in T1 and T2 with that retro sci fi feeling, blue tint, serious grounded tone, it turned to be another run of the mill high budget summer flick.

AREYOUOKAY?

Fans: "Make a better T3"

Studio: "Alright"

maxresdefault.jpg

Fans: "Try again. We want a better T3."

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

We are stuck in an endless loop, much like the timeline of Terminator. I'd much rather have a sequel to Salvation than anything else taking place in present day and featuring old man Arnold again.
Behold the real T3
D

LimanimaPT

These recent Terminator movies had dumb movie plots too. So it's not just the actors. For example, how can Arnie become Carl the Carpenter and marry a human who has a son?
Nah... seriously? I'm glad I've missed that one in that case. Who the fk writes this movies?

The better thing to do is to go back in time and killl everyone involved in all movies after T2.
Well there's a good plot.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Nah... seriously? I'm glad I've missed that one in that case. Who the fk writes this movies?

The better thing to do is to go back in time and killl everyone involved in all movies after T2.
Jesus Christ, a black comedy metafilm about James, arnie and Linda making T....6 or whatever we are up to now and getting bumped off by an actual future terminator programed by an angry Twitter mob from today...GENIUS!

Get Edward back, (RIP Robert), and just film it at one of Arnies ranches.

None of those guy are working right now and it doesn't really need a script, just shoot it on a cell phone and have it all be improv.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I thought the new one was fun. Obviously no where near the first two, but not the worst way to spend a couple hours.

1. The Terminator
2. Terminator 2: Judgement Day
(massive gap)
3. Terminator: Dark Fate
4. Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines
5. Terminator Salvation
6. Terminator Genisys

T1 vs T2 is a great discussion. Like Star Wars vs Empire. Personally I prefer T1 but I also prefer Empire. I know now a lot of people prefer Star Wars.

T1 is just so raw and so bleak. T2 was amazing but felt more like a huge action set piece.

GAF: Hollywood has no new ideas! They keep remaking the same franchises over and over!

Also GAF: Here are my ideas for the next Terminator sequel!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

Not joking. Arnie T-800 self decommissions himself in modern day as the plot has been solved or something. I forget. But he couldn’t self terminate like T2, so it teaches itself to be a civilian becoming a windows installer or something. He even has his own van with supplies and he lives with a single mom with a son who somehow doesn’t realize he’s not human. Linda Hamilton even jokes how his wife doesn’t realize he’s like 1000 lbs or whatever.

It’s got to be the dumbest subplot I’ve seen in a sci-fi movie.

The main lead (some Latino actress) and the main villain (some guy) are not memorable at all. Th e only standout character/actress is the blond woman from the future who time travels back as a rebel ally.

Linda Hamilton in the movie acted more robotic than any terminator. It’s so bad, you’d think shes in an 80s action comedy movie. If you’ll never watch the movie, at least try to find a clip of Linda Hamilton first being shown in screen in the bridge battle and Arnie being found as a handyman. You’ll laugh how bad it is.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
You missed the part where Arnie has been sending Linda the coordinates of other terminators beaming in so she could run over AND BLOW THEM UP.

Much like Star Wars with Skywalker, they really need to break out of the endless Skynet/Conner loop and explore somethng else.

And really, SO MANY runs at a grown up John Conner and they NEVER even get CLOSE to the empty hate, rage, and drive of this guy ...

5orGjAP.jpg

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
terminator in space would sell it for me
Could make it a hybrid of Terminator in space with elements of OG Predator. Had this been made in the late 80's / early 90's that is.

Just for fun. I don't trust anyone can make these movies great anymore. Hot take, but to me Cameron lost his touch by the late-90's. The moment he left practical film methods almost entirely, he just became another face in the crowd. He was stretching the story already by T2 with all of these details which we didn't need to know after the first. The movie still turned out okay but nothing imo has ever been able to surpass the first film. There was a certain desperation Cameron had too when making that film.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Could make it a hybrid of Terminator in space with elements of OG Predator. Had this been made in the late 80's / early 90's that is.

Just for fun. I don't trust anyone can make these movies great anymore. Hot take, but to me Cameron lost his touch by the late-90's. The moment he left practical film methods almost entirely, he just became another face in the crowd. He was stretching the story already by T2 with all of these details which we didn't need to know after the first. The movie still turned out okay but nothing imo has ever been able to surpass the first film. There was a certain desperation Cameron had too when making that film.
That's...a take. I mean, he's only made TWO films in the time period you reference and BOTH are amongst the MOST SUCCESSFUL FILMS EVER with numerous oscar noms and wins between them. If you are actually counting Titanic in your reckoning then its THREE of the most successful and awarded films EVER.

You can say that YOU don't like those films, but to say he is just "another face in the crowd" is blatantly wrong. He is one of the most innovative and technical frontier pushing directors to ever exist.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Terminator universe was a masterclass at world building. I'm even cool with the franchise up to Salvation. Salvation is probably up beside Judgement Day in my books, honestly. Mostly for hitting all the check boxes I have for a good sequel.

When you start going back in time to kill this guy and start imitating him, but it's trash so it's a different continuity from the main films and UGH. Stahp.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
That's...a take. I mean, he's only made TWO films in the time period you reference and BOTH are amongst the MOST SUCCESSFUL FILMS EVER with numerous oscar noms and wins between them. If you are actually counting Titanic in your reckoning then its THREE of the most successful and awarded films EVER.

You can say that YOU don't like those films, but to say he is just "another face in the crowd" is blatantly wrong. He is one of the most innovative and technical frontier pushing directors to ever exist.
Not going to derail and Titanic was good. But, the Abyss showed a real aquatic action adventure film realms above Avatar. So, I don't like them...but that's me. Everyone's free to take interest in his 2000s or more current work too.

Top Bottom