• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"This.. suit... burns... better..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

S-Wind

Actually, I need to know WHICH suit burns better!

I'm going to be Harvey Dent Two-Face for Halloween. I'll be shaving half my head and applying copious amounts of liquid latex, 3D gel, and make up. Since I can't get Hollywood calibre make-up artists (and CGI work) to assist me, it'll be a combination of the Dark Knight's interpretation and the various comic book interpretations.

In the Dark Knight, half of Harvey Dent's coat (blazer? jacker? sportcoat?) was burnt and charred. So I bought two suits from Army & Navy. One is 100% pure virgin wool, and the other is a blend of wool and polyester. I'll be using a mini blowtorch-like device.

Which coat would be easier for getting the desired effect?

Baryn

Banned
S-Wind said:

I'm going to be Harvey Dent Two-Face for Halloween. I'll be shaving half my head and applying copious amounts of liquid latex, 3D gel, and make up. Since I can't get Hollywood calibre make-up artists (and CGI work) to assist me, it'll be a combination of the Dark Knight's interpretation and the various comic book interpretations.

In the Dark Knight, half of Harvey Dent's coat (blazer? jacker? sportcoat?) was burnt and charred. So I bought two suits from Army & Navy. One is 100% pure virgin wool, and the other is a blend of wool and polyester. I'll be using a mini blowtorch-like device.

I think the polyester suit will look that much cleaner when compared to a raggy wool suit. Burn the virgin.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
S-Wind said:

What? Harvey Dent is Two-Face? Are you serious? Holy fuck, spoilers.

Pachinko

you should cut each suit in half and stitch it togethor so it's half wool half regular. Probably safer then burning it .

Pachinko said:
you should cut each suit in half and stitch it togethor so it's half wool half regular. Probably safer then burning it .

Do that and try both combinations, so you can see which one looks better yourself.

S-Wind

GODAMMIT!

The Harvey Dent Two Face coin I ordered from eBay didn't ship until TODAY!

FFFUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKK ! ! !

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
This sounds like one of those "This was the day I ruined my life forever" kind of ideas.

Be careful with the blowtorch.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Mr. Sam said:
I don't think anyone will particularly care. Personally, I would have just bought a Storm Trooper outfit or something. I did.
DIY costumes are more impressive when they look good. They tend to be under 30 bucks if you're creative enough. Someone in another thread is paying 800 bucks for a Storm Trooper costume. Crazy.

Spire said:
What? Harvey Dent is Two-Face? Are you serious? Holy fuck, spoilers.

Good God. You don't know your batman, do you? Harvey dent is and always was two-face. I wanted to slap every one of them in the audience who gave a
"OMG! IT'S TWO-FACE!" when Gordon says "Two-face. They called you Two-face Harvey". and they show his scarred face.

S-Wind

Zoramon089 said:
Wouldn't it be easier to simply gel your hair down?

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

P

A

C

E

scan0006.jpg

I going to try get as close to the movie's look as possible without putting a blowtorch to half of my face.

As I state in the OP, since I don't have the benefit of Hollywood calibre makeup artists and CGI, it will be more of a heavily scarred look than a burnt away look.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
shagg_187 said:
Good God. You don't know your batman, do you? Harvey dent is and always was two-face. I wanted to slap every one of them in the audience who gave a
"OMG! IT'S TWO-FACE!" when Dent says "Two-face. They called you Two-face Harvey". and they show his scarred face.
OMG those non-comicbook nerds how dare they.

I didn't know.

MNC

shagg_187 said:
"OMG! IT'S TWO-FACE!" when Dent says "Two-face. They called you Two-face Harvey". and they show his scarred face.
It wasn't Dent who said that ;)

S-Wind

SUCCESS!

I used the suit that was 52% wool and 48% polyester. The polyester burnt and melted beautifully! Though I did smell a little like burnt hair for the first hour or two due to the wool.

I'll post up some pictures once I get them uploaded.

S-Wind

First, the suit, pre blow torch:

CIMG0314.jpg

Me, starting out:

CIMG0321.jpg

Half of head shaven:

CIMG0324.jpg

Test shot #1 - the good side (despite how the picture looks, the suit actually fit very well):

CIMG0326.jpg

Test shot #2 - the bad side :

CIMG0328.jpg

Test shot #3 - back:

CIMG0329.jpg

Front, holding appropriately themed jack-o-lantern:

CIMG0352.jpg

Various headshots (as you can see, I am no pro at this):

CIMG0339.jpg

CIMG0375.jpg

CIMG0370.jpg

CIMG0376.jpg

CIMG0336.jpg

CIMG0365.jpg

CIMG0374.jpg

CIMG0399.jpg

CIMG0404.jpg

Despite the extremely amateur makeup work, I won best costume.

Sapiens

Fucking killer.

Nice job.

More threads should be like this.

A cool idea, properly executed and documented with clear pictures.

Thanks, dude.

S

Wired

Sapiens said:
Fucking killer.

Nice job.

More threads should be like this.

A cool idea, properly executed and documented with clear pictures.

Thanks, dude.

S

Yeah, but I'm afraid he's set the standard too high for the rest of the rabble on these boards, we might as well pack up and go home it won't get any better than this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom