• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Dark Knight Rises (Yes, It's Our Weekly TDKR Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Did anyone hate that they didn't do much to offset it's so New York. Same with Chicago in the Dark Knight.

I didn't have a problem with TDK being very Chicago because BB was still centrally shot in Chicago anyway so in a way, it's still remained the same city. Also one cool thing they did in TDK was they retained the BB monorail and subtly included it in some of the skyline shots (see the shot of Wayne Tower). I don't remember if they did it with TDKR though.
EDIT: Here ya go - look at the background
latest

TDKR on the other hand, not only did they shoot it in a hodge podge of cities, but two of them were the most iconic looking American cities worldwide. It was really hard to unsee New York and LA, not to mention really messed up the geography set in the first two films.
It really didn't feel like the same Gotham.

Daft_Cat

I didn't have a problem with TDK being very Chicago because BB was still centrally shot in Chicago anyway so in a way, it's still remained the same city. Also one cool thing they did in TDK was they retained the BB monorail and subtly included it in some of the skyline shots (see the shot of Wayne Tower). I don't remember if they did it with TDKR though.

TDKR on the other hand, not only did they shoot it in a hodge podge of cities, but two of them were the most iconic looking American cities worldwide. It was really hard to unsee New York and LA, not to mention really messed up the geography set in the first two films.
It really didn't feel like the same Gotham.

I think they did it even more, to be honest. The monorail definitely appears in TDKR's Wayne Tower shot, and then a few more times in the "Bane is taking over the city" montage.

That reminds me... how many Wayne Towers exist in Nolan's Gotham? Each film features a different one, and the version modeled on the trade building from Begins appears again as a regular building in TDK. I always found the lack of consistent geography between films off-putting, although it was never too big of an issue until they literally switched cities. The monorails were the one common thread...

Daft_Cat

The Monotail was in TDK? And I really cant remember it in TDKR...

TDK:

TDKR:

They appear at least one or two more times in each film. Off the top of my head, in TDK there's a monorail in the establishing shot of Bruce's penthouse before the party. In TDKR, there's a couple more that you can see during the montage where Bane detonates the cement bombs across the city.

Edit: Fixed links.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I think they did it even more, to be honest. The monorail definitely appears in TDKR's Wayne Tower shot, and then a few more times in the "Bane is taking over the city" montage.

That reminds me... how many Wayne Towers exist in Nolan's Gotham? Each film features a different one, and the version modeled on the trade building from Begins appears again as a regular building in TDK. I always found the lack of consistent geography between films off-putting, although it was never too big of an issue until they literally switched cities. The monorails are the one common thread...

In terms of Begins to TDK, there was actually an explanation for that one during the viral campaign of TDK. Can't exactly remember, maybe had something to do with the fact that a train blew up beneath the original one. So technically yes, there are two Wayne Towers.

On the other hand, TDKR WT still sorta looks the same as the one in the preceding film but either way, the location had to be retconned due to the city shoot switch.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
TDK:

TDKR:

They appear at least one or two more times in each film. Off the top of my head, in TDK there's a monorail in the establishing shot of Bruce's penthouse before the party. In TDKR, there's a couple more that you can see during the montage where Bane detonates the cement bombs across the city.
Ok, but this is really easy to miss. They should have shown it more prominent.

Sephzilla

Huh, I never noticed the monorail in the shots in TDK. But *shrug* I don't want to rail on the Nolan sequels but Gotham didn't feel like Gotham in TDK and TDKR

Daft_Cat

Ok, but this is really easy to miss. They should have shown it more prominent.

I think it's important to note that the monorails weren't just production design in Batman Begins... they were plot points as well. There wasn't as much need to show them in The Dark Knight. Also, as much as Nolan borrowed from Ridley Scott and Blade Runner for the world-building in Begins, he made a conscious choice to go with more of a Michael Mann Heat look for The Dark Knight. The monorails are there for consistency, but I think limiting them to the background enhanced the new look he was going for.

Personally, I always just figured The Dark Knight and Batman Begins were taking place in different areas of Gotham. For example, TDK seems to take place in the political downtown core, whereas the action in Begins is mostly set in and around the slummy Narrows. That worked for me, and I never had a major problem with the lack of consistency until TDKR.

In Begins? He just started as Batman. I thought his first mention of that was in TDK, no?

Ha ha, wut?

No, he did not suggest Bruce "can be"...he outright called him out. Apparently, they are the only two people in Gotham that knows tragedy and harbors anger behind a smile.

A couple of lines to note:

Yeah he called him out based on the proposition he could be Batman. ,

Why ? Is there a lot of guys who lived a tragedy life , encountered Bruce Wayne , looked through his fake persona , were cops , examined Batman's actions and then proceeded to go talk to him ? Maybe its some montage that escaped me. Or his deduction can't be something unique ?

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I think it's important to note that the monorails weren't just production design in Batman Begins... they were plot points as well. There wasn't as much need to show them in The Dark Knight. Also, as much as Nolan borrowed from Ridley Scott and Blade Runner for the world-building in Begins, he made a conscious choice to go with more of a Michael Mann Heat look for The Dark Knight. The monorails are there for consistency, but I think limiting them to the background enhanced the new look he was going for.

Personally, I always just figured The Dark Knight and Batman Begins were taking place in different areas of Gotham. For example, TDK seems to take place in the political downtown core, whereas the action in Begins is mostly set in and around the slummy Narrows. That worked for me, and I never had a major problem with the lack of consistency until TDKR.
Butnit would have helped make Gotham more recognizable... But you are right, they could just have taken place over different areas in the city.

Lothars

I originally wanted to make a thread about this movie this week but ended up making that MoS thread instead. That said, let's talk about TDKR for the trillionth time. GAF, I fucking LOVE this film. I literally cannot understand why people think that the film can be considered in anyway bad. I can somewhat understand people feeling somewhat disappointed or let down since it was following one of the greatest movies ever made but to call the movie bad just doesn't register with me.

TL;DR TDKR is a great movie whose only fault is being too big for it's own good.
I totally disagree TDKR and MoS are both terrible movies. I just can't believe how bad they are.

It's also the reason why I am not sure about BvS, I hope that will be good but I am not inspired by hope because of those two.

jelly

Monorail was such a weak end to Batman Begins. Only good part is "I don't have to save you" which was amazing.

Don't know how many times I've seen a train crash like that, Die Hard 3, Speed and others. It's like déjà vu.

geardo

I enjoyed the movie, but it was way too bloated, and is most certainly the worst of the trilogy.

It had too many new and underdeveloped and/or unlikable characters. I would have cut Hathaway, Gordon-Levitt, the second in command police captain guy, and probably Cotillard.

I think I would have preferred if both Oldman and Caine bit the dust as well.

The whole nuclear bomb plot, from the stock exchange heist that bankrupted Wayne, to the nonsense of having a detonator, but for some reason they decide to wait five months for the timer to tick down, is dumb and convoluted. Why even have that as part of the movie?

Honestly, I would have preferred something more like Arkham Knight,
in which they succeed in gassing the city.
I mean, they freed Scarecrow after all; why not put him to work? Show the chaos in the streets, and send the Army in to take down Bane's militia while Batman simultaneously takes down Scarecrow and Bane. Bada bing, bada boom. Maybe have Bane parade out Wayne at the stadium instead of Dr. Pavel, outing him as Batman, and essentially forcing him to permanently retire afterwards.

Just random musings from a frustrated fan.

It had too many new and underdeveloped and/or unlikable characters. I would have cut Hathaway, Gordon-Levitt, the second in command police captain guy, and probably Cotillard.

I think I would have preferred if both Oldman and Caine bit the dust as well.

So....just Batman and Bane?

edit: and those two evil business dudes.

geardo

So....just Batman and Bane?

edit: and those two evil business dudes.

Well, we would still have Freeman, but by the end, sure, why not? Batman losing almost everyone he cares about, and still managing to rise from the ashes would be a cool angle. Talia might be acceptable to keep in the movie (played by a different actor) if the love and betrayal story angle were done more competently.

Don't worry, OP. I'm with you all the way. I even think the Talia death scene was purposefully bad because Nolan was sick to death of fanboys claiming YOU CAN SEE HARVEY DENT BREATHING AT THE END OF THE DARK KNIGHT OMG TWO FACE LIVES. He threw it in their faces.

Actually, the whole movie is him subverting their expectations of what Batman "should" be, and turning schlocky source material into schlocky art. When Robin is being elevated to Batman status at the end we are also seeing Batman as a character/mythos/symbol rise to something greater than "comic book character".

It is a great film.

Except for Matthew Modine. I don't know what that was all about.

JB1981

This is just a ridiculous complaint. Your mad that Nolan didn't make his incarnation of Bruce Wayne/Batman the same as everybody else. You do realize that the reason Bruce never overcomes Batman in the comics is because they need to sell you more comics? Nolan takes Batman and turns him into a real character who has an arc, at the beginning of TDKR he is very much your typical Batman. He wants to be back in the suit, the fact that the suit has been taken from him has turned him into a recluse, when he finally has the smallest opportunity to get back out there he takes it. He wants to die as Batman as he's completely given up any hope of overcoming his tragedy.

The ENTIRE arc in the movie is him learning to finally overcome his tragedy and move beyond it, it's the entire reason for Alfred in this movie. In the end he is able to move past it by killing Bruce Wayne. Wayne Manor is sold off and all his remaining assess ts are given away, Bruce Wayne is left behind along with all of the tragedy that being a Wayne entailed. In his place a new man was able to take his place who could finally enjoy his life.

Right now you're upset that Batman didn't remain a static character for the course of three films.

Fucking bravo, sir. Killed it.

I agree that it is the weakest of the 3 Nolan movies concerning Batman, but its not a bad movie.

The whole trilogy is one /if not the best comic-book adaption ever. Nolan did a good job, and I agree the Rises is just waaaaay to long although the story could fulfill the 3 hours premise, but just never does. If Rises would have been 2 movies though...would it be a better "third" entry?

Liamario

Banned
Just watching this at the moment, didn't to create another thread as there are already several and this one isn't that old. Anyways, this movie has a lot of problems.
It feels very rushed.
Some great sequences spoiled by invisible gunshots and clumsy fight sequences. Audio problems in abundance. Clumsy scenes that feel rushed and out of place.

First two movies were great, but this one needed a script revision and more time to get it done. The finished film should have been developed into two movies and not a very rushed and choppy single film.

Randam

BTW.: does bane have a mic and small speaker in his mask?

Don't like how he doesn't sound like he is really there.
Always sounds like his voice comes from the off.

Sorry for the bump

Me and my brother are rewatching TDKR right now.

That opening scene is great in such an absurd way.

The dialogue has transcended all jokes and has just become amazing at this point.

And then Pavel shitting his pants, that stare Bane gives him, "BROTHER, THEY EXPECT ONE OF US IN THE WRECKAGE". Bane's Scottish Bond terrorist voice is so weird it's great. I really wish Bane had just been bringing about an insane revolution and there was no Talia.

That first scene between Selina and Bruce in the manor is fantastic as well, from when Bruce shoots at her with the arrow.

I'm just so in love with this trilogy. Even TDKR where my main complaint is pacing I feel like I still had tons of fun. I quote something from all 3 movies pretty much every day or every other day. Hardy's Bane was badass as fuck. I loved the overall story arc of the batman character accross the 3 stories. One of the best origin stories ever and one of the most fitting endings I thought.

I'm just so in love with this trilogy. Even TDKR where my main complaint is pacing I feel like I still had tons of fun. I quote something from all 3 movies pretty much every day or every other day. Hardy's Bane was badass as fuck. I loved the overall story arc of the batman character accross the 3 stories. One of the best origin stories ever and one of the most fitting endings I thought.

I would agree with this. Pacing wise, TDKR suffers a lot, but the character arcs are just so well-realized. It's a triumphant and fantastic ending for the man that starts this journey in Batman Begins.

To be honest, Bruce and Selina have great chemistry. I'd hundred percent watch a lighter and softer Batman flick starring these two. Anne Hathaway is just great.

I now want a Batman/Catwoman screwball romance flick.

And man, the Bruce/Alfred scenes in this film really punch the heart sometimes.

Bane is so great though. "So follow him." BANG.

Though Blake figuring out that Bruce Wayne is Batman from his eyes is just ridiculous.

It has some clunky acting, its less impressive than TDK. I like the film but I don't love it. It did one interesting thing though. The villains end-game plan is the middle of the movie. We literally see the villain win, take Gotham and turn it into a criminal shithole for 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom