• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Dark Knight Rises (Yes, It's Our Weekly TDKR Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogan

Banned
Why ? They both survived in the enf of TDK.

darkknightrisesbane2.jpg

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Did you miss the part where Two Face died?

Yeah my mistake. I meant in the alternate universe with Ledger still alive. Maybe they changed Two Face destiny when Ledger died.

Joker would have been back, unquestionably. But the murmurrings were always around the sequel focusing on female villains, right back to Goyer near the TDK premiere.

I liked it and apparently most critics and audiences did as well. My only complaint is Batman was a bit too grounded, especially Gotham's aesthetics.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Looks like people already posted fight scene frame by frame shots. May as well do that for 90% hollywood action blockbusters and watch it fall apart. Did you honestly think people were getting clocked for real?

Sephzilla

I want to like this movie but the script is just too obviously half-assed compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Batman getting important plot details from his own hallucination? Get out of here with that.

The Rock should have played Bane. He's a decent enough actor as far as action films go, and he certainly has the physicality to play it convincingly. Tom Hardy should have had the JGL role. Hardy can pull off the orphan/street smart type of guy, and the franchise could have actually continued on with him as Batman's successor, as again, he's a strong enough leading man and has the body for it.

I want to like this movie but the script is just too obviously half-assed compared to Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Batman getting important plot details from his own hallucination? Get out of here with that.

Get out of here with that something.

He knows they are from the League of Shadows. He's told a story before and deduces the mercenary who lost his wife was Ra's (just like he told Bruce) and that Bane was his child (completely wrong).

stryke

I watched this movie for only the 2nd time the other week, the first being when it originally came out. I forgot how much this movie kicked ass.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Ben Affleck goes in the suit.

You're forgetting the other good thing that came out of this movie...

tumblr_mbpozw8Lnv1r75wpso1_500.png

what south park episode is this?

wachie

For all itd flaws its still a great film and the best third film in any of the trilogies. I agree with some of your cons and tbe rest didn't bother me much.

I can never forgive myself for looking at the set photos so Cotillard's Talia surprise didn't shock me. But yeah, she shouldnt have been cast for that role.

this_guy

I rewatched this again about a month ago because I have it on Vudu. It doesn't hold up at all. Batman Begins is the only one of the trilogy that I can rewatch and enjoy.

One thing that really bothered me is after the cops are freed from the tunnel, the scene where the cops and criminals charge each other is just ridiculous.

It's a flawed movie, but I enjoyed it a lot. I'd take it over almost any Marvel film, personally. It's the weakest in the trilogy, for sure, but more in a Return of the Jedi way than a Spider-Man 3 way.

Batman Begins was a near perfect Batman movie
TDK was a great Batman movie

Dark Knight Rising was a movie that was such a wasted follow up where you could tell that Nolan wasn't into making another Batman movie so he put Batman in it as little as possible. In doing so he messed up the characterization so bad that it nearly ruins the great ending of TDK.

DKR is a movie I've chosen to ignore exists in that canon.

I think if Ledger had survived he totally would have had Scarecrow's role in the kangaroo court. And the scene probably would have been a lot more entertaining for it. Murphy's Scarecrow was not good enough to warrant two return visits.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
I still think the chase scene where Batman makes his return after all those years is one of the best in the series I love this movie. It's not perfect but its great finish to the trilogy.

Sephzilla

I think if Ledger had survived he totally would have had Scarecrow's role in the kangaroo court. And the scene probably would have been a lot more entertaining for it. Murphy's Scarecrow was not good enough to warrant two return visits.

I think if Ledger survived we would have had an entirely different, probably better, movie.

I think if Ledger had survived, the entire third film would've been a different movie. That said, comparing a movie to a version that never could've existed is a pointless exercise.

Its a fantastic film and a great ending to the trilogy.

Only thing I didnt "buy" was Alfred abandoning Bruce. That would never happen. Its like a loving parent walking away from their child.

And Bane was fucking phenomenal. Even with the "simp/beta" reveal.

inm8num2

I love TDKR and how it brings the trilogy and emotional arc of Bruce Wayne to a definitive end, giving him an exit from a depressing life as a masked crime fighter.

Bane was a great villain, and the scope of Gotham being under siege was really well done. I love the prison being a metaphorical Lazarus Pit, out of which Bruce must climb and rise from his pain. Those last 35 minutes are something else - seeing TDKR opening day in IMAX was amazing.

Carbonox

Bane was the highlight despite getting totally shat on at the end and turned in to some lovey dovey invalid despite everything prior. He's also fun to quote, voice and all. One of the more memorable comic book film characters in recent years.

I enjoy the film but there is indeed a lot of fluff and nonsense in it.

Rogan

Banned
I love TDKR and how it brings the trilogy and emotional arc of Bruce Wayne to a definitive end, giving him an exit from a depressing life as a masked crime fighter.

Bane was a great villain, and the scope of Gotham being under siege was really well done. I love the prison being a metaphorical Lazarus Pit, out of which Bruce must climb and rise from his pain. Those last 35 minutes are something else - seeing TDKR opening day in IMAX was amazing.

Its great when you don't take it to serious.

People take comic book movies to serious.

It's absolutely fine to like bad movies.

You don't have to break everything down to a list of pros & cons.
It's ok if you have bad taste in movies as well. :)

It had some issues but I also loved it. Still better by a landslide of anything released by Marvel/DC of the last decade sans Winter Soldier
not that it's hard lol
. It's better than WS as well but they are on same level at least.

npa189

My least favorite of the trilogy, but I can't fault Nolan, ending any Batman arc always sucks as you pretty much have to "kill off" Wayne. The Bane voice is a gift to modern culture though.

E the Shaggy

Say what you will about the movie, but God damn did Michael Caine just nail it as Alfred in this.

I think that scene with him at Bruce's grave is the best of the trilogy.

Ahasverus

Prior the last showdown:
"No, I came back to stop you"

GOOOYEEEEEEER

For those doubting his autoring, he gave us a sequel in MoS

Prior the last showdown:
"You're a monster Zod, and I'm going to stop you"

Fucking David Goyer man

---------------------------
Anne Hattaway was GOAT. I want her back, but never happenning.

Oh God it looks like a Jerry Springer catfight.

While on the subject of TDKR, can someone explain to me why Bruce wastes at least several hours pouring the gasoline all over that building to make the giant bat sign?
Theatricality is a powerful weapon. He needed to pull it off in a dramatical way to show to Gotham that Batman is back and on their side. It inspired that cop to come out of retirement.

Theres definitely a good movie somewhere in TDKR but there is just so much necessary bulk that it buckles under its own weight. Also there are sometimes that I feel like somebody should be on the set screaming "SHOW, DONT TELL!" to Nolan sometimes. He likes to drop big plot points in crappy exposition sometimes.

Everytime I watch it, it feels like they just bit off a lot more than they could chew. I dont think its a total trainwreck as some people here do but its by far and away the weakest of the trilogy.

I like the movie, but there are a few moments when the movie is so dumb that Im sure a lot of people felt insulted by it.
Like, really fucking dumb.

Sephzilla

I like the movie, but there are a few moments when the movie is so dumb that Im sure a lot of people felt insulted by it.
Like, really fucking dumb.

Basically this, it's a decent movie but it has some insultingly dumb moments. I'd also throw the "his real name is Robin" thing under the insultingly dumb banner too.

Remember when Batman was on the other side of the world and he saw the guy that buttled for him for like 4 decades and basically raised him after he was left an orphan and Batman didn't bother to get up and say 'hi' because he was like 3 tables away?

Remember when Batman was on the other side of the world and he saw the guy that buttled for him for like 4 decades and basically raised him after he was left an orphan and Batman didn't bother to get up and say 'hi' because he was like 3 tables away?

They couldn't show the rest of Alfred's "fantasy" in a PG-13 movie. Or an R movie for that matter.

E the Shaggy

Joker would have been back, unquestionably. But the murmurrings were always around the sequel focusing on female villains, right back to Goyer near the TDK premiere.

I think Joker would have been in the role that Scarecrow had in TDK, as the judge of No Man's Land Gotham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom