• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Dark Knight Rises (Yes, It's Our Weekly TDKR Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I originally wanted to make a thread about this movie this week but ended up making that MoS thread instead. That said, let's talk about TDKR for the trillionth time. GAF, I fucking LOVE this film. I literally cannot understand why people think that the film can be considered in anyway bad. I can somewhat understand people feeling somewhat disappointed or let down since it was following one of the greatest movies ever made but to call the movie bad just doesn't register with me. I'm hoping to have a good discussion about this film so don;t just drop in with nonsense like "I hated it" or "How did Batman get back into the city" explain why you dislike the film if you do. I am going to start by breaking down all the things I love about the film and everything that I think is wrong with with the film.

PROS:

Bruce Wayne, a Depressed, Recluse.

latest

The one thing that people seem to forget when portraying Batman in any type of medium is actually making Bruce Wayne a compelling character. In the Nolan trilogy you actually feel this, especially so with TDKR. This is truly a story about Bruce Wayne and not the villain of the day. We start the story off and Bruce is a complete mess following the events of TDK. Rachel, the only person he thought he could make a life with has been murdered. Batman, the outlet for his rage, has been taken from him, sacrificed in order to clean up Gotham. And, off screen, his venture to use Bruce Wayne to aid Gotham through his renewable energy project has "failed." As a result, he's turned into a bit of a recluse retreating further and further away from the world. One small thing people like to criticize about the movie is why Bruce would have built a brand new Batcave when Batman was ostensibly finished after the events of TDK. First, Wayne Manor (and we can assume the Batcave) was being rebuilt while TDK was going on. But second, you can totally believe that reclusive Bruce Wayne decided to rebuild the whole thing on his own as an outlet for his obsession. I can just picture him spending nights in the Batcave looking over police reports and unsolved crimes, waiting for some excuse that would allow him to put back on the cowl. This is a man consumed by his tragedy and wants it all to end.

Thus, when he finally puts back on the cape and cowl you can see how badly he has wanted to do this, he's just finally found an excuse good enough. I especially love how Batman just shows up, unannounced, without any sort of fanfare. In the end, we get to see Bruce learn and grow as a character, he learns to become Batman again, and the learns hot to let Batman go. Everything with Bruce Wayne is Aces.

Alfred

Alfred-always-on-Bruce-s-right-side-bruce-wayne-33215515-768-409.jpg

Again, this is another character that I feel gets shafted in a lot of other mediums but not in the Nolan trilogy. Often, Alfred is just this passive figure that essentially allows Bruce to continue to be Batman without any sort of real objection. He'll make a sarcastic quip or note some form of disapproval but in the end he always caves and supports Master Wayne, how the hell such a "beta" person was able to raise someone like Bruce boggles my mind. But, in the TDK trilogy he's actually portrayed as a real person that cares about Bruce and wants him to move past his Batman identity. In the TDKR he's constantly trying to push Bruce to get back into the world. After Selina steals Bruce's, Mother's pearls he jokes about setting him up with her, to which Bruce replies "So now you're trying to set me up with a jewel thief?" Thus, you get the impression that Alfred has been trying in vain for years to get Bruce to move on past all his tragedy and meet someone. Finally, Alfred reaches his limit and decides to leave Bruce rather than fuel his death wish any longer. It's great stuff, the only disappointment is that he doesn't get to do much of anything after leaving.

The Direct Challenge to the End of TDK

The one thing that some people don't seem to get about this movie is that it directly goes against and intentionally challenges the end of TDK, that's a bold move right there. One of the major themes of TDK is that sometimes it's better to protect people with a lie, that people often can't handle the truth. When faced between the choice of Order and Chaos it's better to build Order based on a lie than to allow the potentiality of Chaos that would result from the truth. Harvey Dent saw the truth head on and went crazy, Batman and Gordon decided that if they were going to clean up Gotham and prevent widespread Chaos it would have to be based on a lie. TDKR takes this theme and throws it back into your face and tells you that you were fools to think that Paradise could be built upon a lie. It's why I love that little speech Ghost Ra's Al Ghul gives to Bruce, "...with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority, the only victory you could achieve was a lie. Now you understand, Gotham is beyond saving and must be allowed to die." Ouch.

In the end, the film presents the idea that true progress can only be built upon the truth because no matter how well you conceal a secret or lie it will always find its way to the light. Only by facing the bitter truth about Harvey Dent and the Batman, only by rising up and saving the city themselves could Gotham move on. The people were willing to let Batman clean up the streets because it meant they themselves didn't have to get their hands dirty or put themselves at risk. It's also why I love that final exchange between Gordon and Foley, who has tucked his tail and hid in his home. Foley is hoping/expecting the government or someone else to swoop in and save them but as Gordon says "This only gets fixed from the inside." I felt like that's such a powerful line that translates so easily into our real world.

I only want to briefly point out that this countering of themes is brought out in Talia al Ghul, the concept of whom I also really like. She's the representation of the old adage that "If you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back." She's not the mirror opposite of Bruce, she IS Bruce but taken to his logical and extreme end point. She too is an individual consumed by her own personal tragedy and need for revenge. She so driven by her goal to see "justice" done that she is willing to kill herself along with all of her victims in her plot. I think realizing who and what Talia truly was is what allowed Bruce to finally move on at the end, he realized he didn't want to be her.

Occupy Gotham

Continuing off that point I also love the idea of Gotham being occupied and under siege. I enjoyed the sort of revolutionary atmosphere the story was being framed as. When Batman burns the Bat Symbol on the bridge and says it's time to go to War I cream my pants every time.

It Concludes The Trilogy!

notbatman.jpg

This is something that I just absolutely adore about the movie, it fucking concludes the story it began from Batman Begins. Batman is a trademarked, mega-popular franchise that will probably never go away. Due to this fact Batman stories rarely every conclude, their is usually some cliffhanger or Batman continues to be Batman with a setup for another potential story. TDKR actually concludes it's trilogy and Nolan completes his arc for the character of Bruce Wayne. Now, others can debate whether or not they enjoy Bruce's arc, I for one enjoy it, but I like the fact that it definitively closes out the trilogy. A bad example would be the conclusion to the Arkham "trilogy" which is by no means a conclusion. In my opinion, I do like the fact that Bruce Wayne gets a happy ending, call me a romantic. I like that he is finally able to move past Batman and make a new life for himself, although it does require him to "kill" Bruce Wayne. Again, I love the ending bit and that it actually shows Bruce Wayne and doesn't just end with Alfred smiling. To the small percentage of people who think that's how it should have ended you clearly don't understand how to conclude a story. This isn't Inception, the conclusion to the TDK trilogy demands certainty not ambiguity, either Bruce is alive and well or dead in the water.

The Rest of the Pros:

-Anne Hathaway as Catwoman. And, the acting of pretty much the whole cast.
-Also Catwoman getting his mother's pearls in the end.
-GOAT tier soundtrack
-Fight sequences, the fight scenes are definitely a step up from all the previous movies though their nothing near approaching great fight scenes.
-Batman's reemergence and chase sequence.
-The final chase sequence.
-"For you."

CONS:

It's Just Too Big. Payoffs with No Setup

I think the most of my complaints with the movie can come from one big criticism, the movie is too big. This of course is odd from a movie that is almost three hours long, you would think they had all the time in the world to tell their story, but they don't. TDKR suffers from trying to tell too many stories and portray so many themes. You've got the central story of Bruce Wayne but then you've got the occupation of Gotham, the rise of Robin, the story of Bane/Talia, Dagget Enterprises, Catwoman, Gordon and Foley, etc. There just isn't enough time to tell all of these stories completely. In fact, one of my biggest pros about the movie turns into a con by the end becaue of the time constraints, I'm talking about teh occupation of Gotham. We're told it'll take around two months for the bomb to explode in Gotham, then all of a sudden it's something like two weeks, then by literally the next scene it is suddenly 24 hours so we can have a ticking time bomb scenario.

The time skips within Gotham City means you don't really get enough time to experience Occupied Gotham, in fact the majority of the "revolution" is confined to one out of focus montage. It's literally Catwoman/Bane montage, Special Forces arrive and die, and then Gordon gets captured and Batman's back. We hardly get the change to truly feel like a citizen trapped in Gotham trying to survive while a police force slowly but desperately tries to fight back.

The result is that the movie feels less like this beautifully and intricately put together and more of a scattershot of big ideas and stories that while great are not executed as well and completely as they should be. If you look at TDK everything in that movie is intricately tied together, their isn't a lot of fat to the movie or parts that appear out of nowhere. Almost everything is setup and paid off later. Lucious introduces Wayne to new gadgets like ejectable gauntlets, these are used to take down the Joker. "C4" gun is used to enter LSI holdings, is later used to fight Joker's crew and the SWAT. Sonar phone is used to map LSI, Sonar phones on larger scale are later used to find Joker. Alfred tells Bruce that Batman can be the "outcast" to make the choice no one else can, Batman takes the fall for Harvey Dent. I can go on and on, you get the point.

In TDKR, events often take place that have very little setup or none at all. Batman comes out of retirement with EMP gun, gets shot, is never seen again. His EMP generator is poorly introduced early on to stop those annoying paparazzi, is later used against Bane, fails, is never seen again. Batman gets magic device that "heals" his leg, it's never explained where he got this or why it works, is never seen again after getting his ass whooped by Bane. Batman uses sleep darts to take out Bane's crew, this device is never shown before or after its use. Batman uses Fire Bat Signal to incite the populace, it's never actually setup how he does this or that he saw Blake's drawings and thus realized the need for the symbol. Batman walks on thin ice, this one actually doesn't need setup (it was setup in BB) but a friendly or even joking reminder would have been nice. Gordon asking, "why aren't you sinking?" Batman responds, "I've had practice." You get the point.

Again, compare this to the ending of TDK. You got Batman using Sonar to find the Joker, the idea of which he stole from Lucius' concept earlier in the film and actually sets up later on when he tells Lucius "he's playing this one close to the chest." We follow up with the assault on the Joker building we're Batman uses his Sonar vision and Explosive Gel gun to take down the thugs and SWAT. Ultimately, this culminates in a fight with Joker where he is attacked by dogs, "...will it protect against dogs? We talking Rottweilers or Chihuahuas? Should do fine against cats." Where Batman eventually gets the upper hand by shooting Joker with his ejectable gauntlets setup near the beginning.

All in all, TDKR is just as not as well put together as TDK due to the fact that it wants to tell so much.

Remaining Cons:

-Batman in the Day, it just doesn't work.
-The decrease in humor.
-Bane is hard to hear a times.
-Marion Cotillard is HORRIBLY cast as Talia al Ghul. Worst. Death. Scene. Ever.
-Never liked the Atomic Bomb plot point even though I recognize that it's needed to hold the city hostage. Doubly hate that it actually explodes. Gotham is still going to get radioactive winds for years to come.
-Showing Alfred's "dream" initially, from that moment you knew how the movie would end. It would have been better to just let him describe it to Bruce without cutting away to a flashback thus allowing for more surprise with the ending.
-"Where's the triggaarrr!! argghhhhhhhhh"

Wow, I wrote a lot but screw it I love this movie and don't care if you don't read it all.

TL;DR TDKR is a great movie whose only fault is being too big for it's own good.

Sojgat

It's absolutely fine to like bad movies.

You don't have to break everything down to a list of pros & cons.

I watched the trilogy again a few weeks back. It's just not a very good film, especially coming after TDK and Inception. I wouldn't say terrible (like ASM, Schumacher Batman or Green Lantern bad), but certainly lesser Nolan.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?

You don't have to break everything down to a list of pros & cons.

Well if we didn't, we'd be having the same problem as discussing Skyfall in the other thread.

Kathian

Banned
Brilliant start to the film. Love the mid fight with Bain. Then it goes to total shit. The biggest issue is Nolan fails to show any passing of time. It becomes incredibly disjointed - how long is Gotham under seige? How long is Bruce in the well? How long between him escaping and managing to smuggle himself into Gotham? How long are the Police captured (people might mock the complaints of the perfectly shaven extras; but their survival and looking quite well (despite what I assume is a terrible ordeal that from what I can work out takes months really hurts the telling of time - does DKR take place over a three days? Which wouldn't make sense to add snow in (shows passage of time)). Its a confused mess.

Cat Woman is an uninteresting character whose arc is so dull the movie would be fine with her removed. And the end with Bain? Batman actualy only works out then that HIS WEAKNESS IS HIS MASK, PUNCH IS MASK. I know he's not the same detective in these films but it made the whole thing silly and anti-climatic. Bain is further ruined by becoming a pawn whose motivations and actions don't particularly stand up.

I do like the death ending and also the cost of the Dent lie. And the first half is the best stuff in the trilogy. For that reason putting Gotham under seige was a mistake as Nolan falls short

i liked the ending scene and the prison escape a lot, and the opening and bane.

that's about it. it's a hell of a lot better film than most of the marvel crap (or man of steel) but it's still a real disappointing movie coming off of the first two. the dark knight was a great end too, think nolan should have just left it that way.

i gotta say though it's fucking bold as hell. i actually loved the city under seige aspect and the revolution theme and all that but i think it wasn't done so well on film. movies like this and interstellar really make me wish nolan hired on another writer to look over his stuff.

It's an awesome movie , the best of the trilogy and extremely bold for such a big picture. There's something incredibly colossal in it.

I've written so much about this pic in various places that i think i could publish a book just compiling different texts. One thing that i found absolutely fascinating is how the start of the movie completely subverts the audience expectations about Bruce after TDK.

The biggest issue is Nolan fails to show any passing of time. It becomes incredibly disjointed - how long is Gotham under seige?

Time is always strangely elastic in movies. The siege takes 4-6 months.

Brakke

Banned
OP I appreciate the time you spent writing all this up. I don't think this movie really stands up to inspection. It's cool that you do, or that you're giving it a shot at least.

This babe gets it.

Tookay

I think that's a pretty good breakdown of the movie, foxtrot3d.

It's a big ol' mess but it's at least ambitious and has some interesting ideas/themes. It could have really benefited if Bruce had his ass kicked and Gotham got occupied earlier in the runtime. The occupation/prison section is the least developed portion of the film but is where most of the key character development really occurs, making things a little off-putting.

Regardless, at least it's more interesting to watch than the average safe comic movie.

Lazyslob

Banned
yeah whatever it had bad fight scene and a bunch of other shit people didnt like but i liked it as the last of the christopher nolan batfarts and it had me entertained. i liked it

My biggest beef with the movie is the location they used for filming. Pittsburgh is in no way a good representation of Gotham. They built actual sets for Batman Begins, and they looked pretty damn good. I just can't believe for one second that they're in Gotham in DKR.

foxtrot3d

Banned
My biggest beef with the movie is the location they used for filming. Pittsburgh is in no way a good representation of Gotham. They built actual sets for Batman Begins, and they looked pretty damn good. I just can't believe for one second that they're in Gotham in DKR.

I'll also agree with this.

The best Rocky film.

look at that speed, that ferocity.

i gotta say though props to WB for allowing Nolan to fuck around and do whatever. Disney would never in a million years greenlight a movie as ambitious as this for one of their big characters.

the nolan trilogy has an individuality (that some hate, some love etc.) that barely any other comic book movies do. and pure freedom too. i bet the only note Nolan had to follow was "don't make bruce a racist or anything like that"

what a wack script though.

Why ?

Gotham has been represented many times as a normal city. It started as one. It's actually a representation as acceptable as any other.

Also the sets in Begins , like many other , look like sets. Narrows look like an warehouse where everyone is afraid to look up because there's a ceiling.

Alienous

My biggest issue with Rises is spoiled potential.

Conceptually I dig it. If I were a producer and the movie was pitched to me I'd be excited.

Things like Bane (using Daggett) financially ruining Bruce Wayne as a part of 'breaking' him is something that didn't deserve to be glossed over as they did. Stealing Batman's armoury and using it against Batman and Gotham is, too, something that deserved to have been done better.

Characters were being moved around like pawns for the story. I didn't feel like Bruce Wayne was Bruce Wayne, or Alfred was Alfred (for most of the film, at least), or Commissioner Gordon was Commissioner Gordon. Unlike the OP I didn't care for the roles these characters had been made to serve within the narrative. Characters like John Blake and the new police commissioner were just there characters that the story required, rather than Batman Begins and The Dark Knight having a story that came from the characters within it (this is a story using Batman, Harvey Dent, the Joker and other characters vs. this is a story about ... hmm, I'm not even sure what TDKR is about. Lies?). .

It's just a weak movie.

DeathyBoy

Banned
look at that speed, that ferocity.

i gotta say though props to WB for allowing Nolan to fuck around and do whatever. Disney would never in a million years greenlight a movie as ambitious as this for one of their big characters.

the nolan trilogy has an individuality (that some hate, some love etc.) that barely any other comic book movies do. and pure freedom too. i bet the only note Nolan had to follow was "don't make bruce a racist or anything like that"

And yet he still invaded China.

Tookay

I'm a big fan of Batman Begins, but those Narrows sets were awful. They looked like they built in a studio hanger and were lit like them too.

Could they have added a little more flavor to the location shooting and given Pittsburgh Gotham more of its own identity? Sure, but I'd never want to go back to the sets.

Why ?

Gotham has been represented many times as a normal city. It started as one. It's actually a representation as acceptable as any other.

Also the sets in Begins , like many other , look like sets. Narrows look like an warehouse where everyone is afraid to look up because there's a ceiling.

I'm a big fan of Batman Begins, but those Narrows sets were awful. They looked like they built in a studio hanger and were lit like them too.

Could they have added a little more flavor to the location shooting and given Pittsburgh Gotham more of its own identity? Sure, but I'd never want to go back to the sets.

They were good in The Dark Knight. They filmed in Chicago, which is a better template for Gotham then Pittsburgh was.

It was just a bad choice to film in Pittsburgh. Gotham just looked too clean, and boring.

The Direct Challenge to the End of TDK

The one thing that some people don't seem to get about this movie is that it directly goes against and intentionally challenges the end of TDK, that's a bold move right there. One of the major themes of TDK is that sometimes it's better to protect people with a lie, that people often can't handle the truth. When faced between the choice of Order and Chaos it's better to build Order based on a lie than to allow the potentiality of Chaos that would result from the truth.

This is a misreading.

The Dark Knight does not end optimistically. Batman very definitively loses the events of that movie, and Gordon is forced to hold Gotham together with what amounts to spit, duct tape, and prayer.

foxtrot3d

Banned
This is a misreading.

The Dark Knight does not end optimistically. Batman very definitively loses the events of that movie, and Gordon is forced to hold Gotham together with what amounts to spit, duct tape, and prayer.

Um, it kind of does. The entire ending is shrouded in epic heroic music as a montage plays of individuals having their "faith" rewarded by their preconceived ideals being kept in tact as Gordon finally notes that Batman is Gotham's Watchful Protector, a Dark Knight. And the Batman drives into "the sunset." The idea being, which is reinforced in TDKR, that by shifting the blame to Batman, Gordon and Batman are able to use Dent's good image to affect political change and will power to finally clean up Gotham. The Joker loses and no one has to learn that the White Knight of Gotham was eventually driven mad by the sheer ugliness and corruption that existed in Gotham. Batman wins.

Chiggs

Brilliant film. Love the mid fight with Bain. Then it goes to total shit. The biggest issue is Nolan fails to show any passing of time. It becomes incredibly disjointed - how long is Gotham under seige? How long is Bruce in the well? How long between him escaping and managing to smuggle himself into Gotham? How long are the Police captured (people might mock the complaints of the perfectly shaven extras; but their survival and looking quite well (despite what I assume is a terrible ordeal that from what I can work out takes months really hurts the telling of time - does DKR take place over a three days? Which wouldn't make sense to add snow in (shows passage of time)). Its a confused mess.

Cat Woman is an uninteresting character whose arc is so dull the movie would be fine with her removed. And the end with Bain? Batman actualy only works out then that HIS WEAKNESS IS HIS MASK, PUNCH IS MASK. I know he's not the same detective in these films but it made the whole thing silly and anti-climatic. Bain is further ruined by becoming a pawn whose motivations and actions don't particularly stand up.

I do like the death ending and also the cost of the Dent lie. And the first half is the best stuff in the trilogy. For that reason putting Gotham under seige was a mistake as Nolan falls short

Brilliant film, huh?

Yeah that was always pretty jarring. BB was a unique city, TDK was basically Chicago.

I like a lot of the ideas in it but agree that the film as a whole just didn't come together well. The ending, particularly is still awesome.

I still enjoy watching the scenes I like and skipping the shitty bits.

Things that sound great on paper but came out 'meh':

-Talia
-Gotham's occupation
-Batman vs Bane fight
-Batman fighting anybody
-Even I can't defend the overdone Batgrowl by the third movie

I got the impression from the ending of TDK that Batman would be hunted by the police. Batman would still be active trying to carry on while taking the blame for Dent's actions, and Gordon would go along with it for the sake of preserving the lie.

In TDKR I find instead that he gave up being Batman immediately. He wasn't chased or living as a fugitive in a city he was trying to save because he just took off the suit and everything was fine. It feels like they're borrowing a little from Dark Knight Returns with him coming out of retirement but they haven't earned that because Bruce only had like a year of Batmanning and he's still relatively young. But he needs to walk with a cane now and apparently has no cartilage in his knee after his long career! Oh wait, he's got this magic knee brace in the next scene and we'll never speak of that again.

Weakest film of the trilogy but I still enjoyed it. Bane's fun and I liked the overarching ideas behind the story, but it's too long and ends up feeling a little bloated.

Um, it kind of does. The entire ending is shrouded in epic heroic music as a montage plays of individuals having their "faith" rewarded by their preconceived ideals being kept in tact as Gordon finally notes that Batman is Gotham's Watchful Protector, a Dark Knight. And the Batman drives into "the sunset." The idea being, which is reinforced in TDKR, that by shifting the blame to Batman, Gordon and Batman are able to use Dent's good image to affect political change and will power to finally clean up Gotham. The Joker loses and no one has to learn that the White Knight of Gotham was eventually driven mad by the sheer ugliness and corruption that existed in Gotham. Batman wins.

- Please define "heroic."
- Gordon explicitly refers to Batman as "the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now," an exact inverse of what Harvey Dent was referred to. How does this sound like praise of Batman?
- Earlier in the movie we see even before he became Two-Face that Harvey has a depraved streak when he resorts to threatening a mental patient in a dark alley. Batman specifically tells him that nobody can see this, or else all of Harvey's work will be undone. The movie ends with them covering up Harvey's rampage and using a lie to bolster the people of Gotham instead.
- TDKR is a movie where Bane exposes this lie and uses it to turn the people against each other. Gotham is very much not "cleaned up."

I know you watched the movie, but did you watch the movie? Or did it just kind of passively flash across your eyeballs?

TDKR seems to be most hated by people who don't understand TDK.

foxtrot3d

Banned
- Please define "heroic."
- Gordon explicitly refers to Batman as "the hero Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now," an exact inverse of what Harvey Dent was referred to. How does this sound like praise of Batman?
- Earlier in the movie we see even before he became Two-Face that Harvey has a depraved streak when he resorts to threatening a mental patient in a dark alley. Batman specifically tells him that nobody can see this, or else all of Harvey's work will be undone. The movie ends with them covering up Harvey's rampage and using a lie to bolster the people of Gotham instead.
- TDKR is a movie where Bane exposes this lie and uses it to turn the people against each other. Gotham is very much not "cleaned up."

I know you watched the movie, but did you watch the movie? Or did it just kind of passively flash across your eyeballs?

TDKR seems to be most hated by people who don't understand TDK.

I think you're misinterpreting the ending of TDK. The ending and the movie is selling you on the theme that "the lie" is better than the truth. Batman wins because he's willing to sacrifice his good name to be "whatever Gotham needs" to rally behind, whether that is a hero or a villain. In doing so, he is able to save Gotham. That is the them of TDK and it is not presented in any sort of negative light, we're made to believe this is a good thing as Lucius Fox smiles as the Sonar Surveillance Machine is destroyed and Batman rides into the sunset.

It is TDKR that directly challenges and subverts this theme and ending, again a bold move that I love.

A_Gorilla

Banned
Bane IMO was a terrible villain. Everything about him reeked of Goyer and Nolan trying way too hard to create another iconic villain like Ledger's Joker.

That, and his mask looked like goatse. I cannot be the only one to notice this.

hal9001

Banned
Why doesn't Jim Gordon get any disciplinary action or charges against him for being part of a grand conspiracy to lie to courts and the people of Gotham? Many people were put in jail wrongly by the Dent act and he doesn't face any criminal charges for the cover up. Instead he gets reappointed as commissioner at the end and gets the accolades for stopping Bane, a problem he, Batman and the mayor partially caused themselves.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Why doesn't Jim Gordon get any disciplinary action or charges against him for being part of a grand conspiracy to lie to courts and the people of Gotham? Many people were put in jail wrongly by the Dent act and he doesn't face any criminal charges for the cover up. Instead he gets reappointed as commissioner at the end and gets the accolades for stopping Bane, a problem he, Batman and the mayor partially caused themselves.

Saving Gotham from Nuclear Destruction kind of allows him to get a pass, and Bane and Co. were coming regardless of his actions.

Kathian

Banned
Time is always strangely elastic in movies. The siege takes 4-6 months.

One of my favourite examples of the showing of the passage of time is Sherlock's Scandal in Belgravia - its set over a reasonably long period of time but the direction(helped strongly by the writing - which I feel is the biggest problem with DKRs passage of time) shows and tells it seamlessly. You feel time pass as much as the characters.

For some films its not too important, but when you divide your main characters apart over a long period of time its pretty essential to make the viewer feel the effect of having them removed. Its quite an essential idea, Bruce watching Gotham in need is to show this - his want to get back, the hurt the city is going through. But it really struggles to make the time clear (and is not helped by the frankly awful and lazy scene where he appears under a bridge - felt like second unit stuff on a very important moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom