• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Motorstorm Pacific Rift sells over a Million WW

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Gamesindustry.biz are reporting that Sony’s PlayStation 3 racer MotorStorm: Pacific Rift has sold over one million units worldwide, according to the company’s Worldwide Studios boss Michael Denny.

The sequel to Motorstorm which was released at the beginning of November, entered the charts at number 29 in the UK and then falling the following week to 35, however the title has broken the one million milestone, and Evolution Studios is already at work on new downloadable content for the game.

"We’re pleased with the high Metacritic rating of 82 per cent and it’s sold over a million units worldwide," said Denny.

It just goes to show that chart positions aren’t everything when trying to determine whether a game has been successful or not.

Aaaaaaaaaaaamen!!

[Nintex]

0283619.jpg

Wow that's quite an achievement Sony

Orobi

Greatest racing game of this gen for me! :D
Nice to see selling good!!! So we will se Motorstorm Tsunami (sea vehicles)!!!!!

2ag3kvq.jpg

Zero Hero

[Nintex] said:
http://www.bartsmit.com/data/products/300x300/0283619.jpg[img]
Wow that's quite an achievement Sony[/QUOTE]

Considering all the games that dropped the same week and the week after MS2, I'm pretty surprised.

DeadGzuz

Banned
DeaconKnowledge said:
Games like this just don't bomb, as long as bundling and the like exists.

The bundles probably account for like less than 5%, there isn't even one in NA. It's a great game, too bad way crappier games are getting higher reviews and selling more, but that's how marketing works.

matmanx1

Good for them. It's a quality game that I havent gotten around to yet simply because of my massive backlog and because racing isnt my #1 genre. I'll pick it up in 09' sometime though!

Glad the game is doing well. Kinda confused tho. Didnt it chart poorly across the board? Where did they sell so many of it? Same shit as fallout3, i dont get it.

DCharlie

Banned
happy for the figures but this surely means INSANE numbers in europe right?

200k or so in US
um... nothing in Japan
Europe = :O

RBH

Fistwell said:
Glad the game is doing well. Kinda confused tho. Didnt it chart poorly across the board? Where did they sell so many of it? Same shit as fallout3, i dont get it.
"Sold" = shipped to retailers?

jmonteiro

~Devil Trigger~ said:
i think its still the best selling PS3 game to date, not sure.

Pacific Rift is probably the BEST racing game i've ever played

I just started playing it yesterday (have it since launch but too many games to play) and OMFG!!!! The game is awesome.

marc^o^ said:
Not enough. Every PS3 owner should get this gem.
I hear you. But, yeah, good games overload this fall. I really wanna play this, yet i still have resistance2, valkyria chronicles, storm of zehir and little big planet taking up all of my playing time.

El-Suave

I'm really surprised that out of the trio of big first party releases (LBP, Resistance 2 and Motorstorm 2) this is the first one about which we're hearing confirmation of that one million milestone by Sony.
I'm glad it sold well - it's more awesome than the little hype it has leads one to believe.

decon

I hate these statements from Sony, MS etc. They never have numbers but their own to back up their arguments. I hope it's true because this is a great game, but placed #29 and then fell to #35?

DeadGzuz said:
The bundles probably account for like less than 5%, there isn't even one in NA. It's a great game, too bad way crappier games are getting higher reviews and selling more, but that's how marketing works.

that's neither here nor there.

A bundled system sold to a retailer counts as a sale. Introduce, say, 800000* of these Motorstorm PS3 units to the retail channel, and that counts as 800000 sales of the game. Bundling is a great way to ensure 1st party titles don't bomb. This is also the reason you're not seeing Motorstorm: PR show up on any top ten lists.

*arbitrary number

Thats good, its a very underrated game. Best off-road game this gen hands down. Evolution Studios were able to pull off the 4-player split screen too which is great. I'd actually like to see them do something else, think they could make some awesome looking games.

web01

Hard to believe as it is hard to find a online game alot of the time, get online guys.

Also its a free giveaway game when you buy a ps3 in alot of countries during this christmas which would have helped.

web01 said:
Hard to believe as it is hard to find a online game alot of the time, get online guys.

Also its a free giveaway game when you buy a ps3 in alot of countries during this christmas which would have helped.

Nothing is Free. Just Saying.

acm2000

god bless bundles, even kung fu panda on 360 is gonna sell a million :p

edit: what a horrible thought that is >_<

acm2000

TheRagnCajun said:
Bundles don't typically count as 'units sold' iirc.

yeah they do, go check the charts

19 (16) 360 Kung Fu Panda
20 (15) 360 Lego Indiana Jones: Original Adventures
28 (20) 360 Project Gotham Racing 4
33 (24) 360 Sega Superstars Tennis
etc

stuminus3

acm2000 said:
yeah they do, go check the chartsc
Yeah, this is why Super Mario Bros. appears to have sold like a bajillion copies. NES owners usually got it whether they wanted to or not.

Meier

TheRagnCajun said:
Bundles don't typically count as 'units sold' iirc.
Of course they do. And this is obviously units shipped to boot. I bet the number of individual copies sold of this can't be more than 250-300k.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Meier said:
Of course they do. And this is obviously units shipped to boot. I bet the number of individual copies sold of this can't be more than 250-300k.

Not correct. They include bundles, but this is sold not shipped.

When publishers say how many software units sold, they mean sold. Much like the GoW2 press release a couple of days ago. They keep good track of what sold for platinum status and all that jazz.

That said, I have yet to pick up this game. I really want to but LBP and R2 are monopolizing my time.

MikeB

Banned
Amazing game, well deserved!

IMO well underrated compared to other racers by the press...

First when I tried the Motorstorm: Pacific Rift demo I was underwhelmed by it and wasn't even sure I would buy this game despite I had lots of fun with the original. Luckily user impressions and screen shots here on NeoGAF made me tingle enough to finally buy this game recently and it's most excellent!

I don't know what the devs were thinking when releasing a work-in-progress demo of what seems to be by far the least impressive track in the game (that one is IMO mediocre). Probably it had to do with download size, but nearly they caused me to miss out on this very good game! It takes care of nearly all imperfections of the first game and I love the variety!

If you liked Motorstorm, you'll probably love this one! Some major improvements in this game. :)

I'd really love to know the world wide number breakdown on this... because it only showed up on a couple of charts before disappearing completely.

acm2000

MikeB said:
Amazing game, well deserved!

IMO well underrated compared to other racers by the press...

First when I tried the Motorstorm: Pacific Rift demo I was underwhelmed by it and wasn't even sure I would buy this game despite I had lots of fun with the original. Luckily user impressions and screen shots here on NeoGAF made me tingle enough to finally buy this game recently and it's most excellent!

I don't know what the devs were thinking when releasing a work-in-progress demo of what seems to be by far the least impressive track in the game (that one is IMO mediocre). Probably it had to do with download size, but nearly they caused me to miss out on this very good game! It takes care of nearly all imperfections of the first game and I love the variety!

If you liked Motorstorm, you'll probably love this one! Some major improvements in this game. :)

i think the game is boring and graphics are all over the place, but it cost me £8, so cant complain much :lol

Top Bottom