• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I don't like spicy food...is there something wrong with me, GAF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undubbed

I think there's something wrong with me. I seem to be the only person I've met that has any disdain for anything spicy hot. I honestly don't get the appeal. Is it my taste buds? Am I tasting spicy food in a way that others aren't? Cause it seems to me that everyone thinks they taste great while I don't see the appeal in burning my mouth wiith every bite :/

So, burning your mouth? Is that appeal? I don't get it. People must be tasting something that my tongue isn't picking up.

Is there something wrong with me?

Finn

I like spicy food within reason. I'm not a fan of being in pain while eating, but I do like mild spice.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Not a big fan of it, either. I can enjoy some spicy stuff, but I like to enjoy eating my food and not constantly chugging down water which dilutes the taste.

HUELEN10

There is nothing wrong with you. I like spice, but not hot. I like herbs and spices, but any spreadable condiment on like meat is LOATHSOME to me. I like my burgers with lettuce and tomato and onions, and nothing more, and I eat my hot dogs plain. I also do not eat asian or mexican food because it smells and tastes horrid to me. The point I am trying to make is that we all have different food tastes, so stop worrying and eat a healthy diet of what you crave!

Ferrio

Banned
Undubbed said:
I think there's something wrong with me. I seem to be the only person I've met that has any disdain for anything spicy hot. I honestly don't get the appeal. Is it my taste buds? Am I tasting spicy food in a way that others aren't? Cause it seems to me that everyone thinks they taste great while I don't see the appeal in burning my mouth wiith every bite :/

So, burning your mouth? Is that appeal? I don't get it. People must be tasting something that my tongue isn't picking up.

Spicy food doesn't really change the flavor per se, but it does cause the body to release endorphins which gives you a natural high.

I've known a few people who really really can't stand anything spicy. Even something I wouldn't even consider to have any spice to it, would cause them to flush. Personally I love it, and I have a hard time convincing the thai resteraunt to give me spicy, and not what they consider american spicy

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I like it hot, but not too hot. Because then you're just setting your mouth on fire.

JavaMava

When I was younger I never liked it. Each year now I like it more and more. I'm 20. It's just an acquired taste. Like alcohol. Start off with the weak shit, slowly build up, and soon you'll be a spice food connoisseur.

HUELEN10

OnkelC said:
I don't dig food that's too spicy either.
Straight from the horse's mouth! If OnkelC says it, it must be true!

You're fine OP.

JavaMava said:
t's just an acquired taste. Like alcohol. Start off with the weak shit, slowly build up, and soon you'll be...
The King Of Michigan!
:lol

Undubbed

Hey, I can 'tolerate' spicy hot food, but I still avoid when possible. Typically only eat some if someone gives me spicy food and I have to eat it.

Calculon

Neo Member
I remember reading somewhere that spicy food gets better as you get older because your sense of taste becomes less acute. Certainly seems to be true for me, I couldn't stand spicy food when I was younger and now I love it.

Rorschach

I love spicy food, but I hate heat for the sake of heat. Some asian food is 100% heat and no flavor. What's the point of that? I use spices to accent the flavor, not to overtake or completely remove flavor.

besada

Banned
Salva's right, in that it's an acquired taste. Spicy foods activate the pain sensors in your tongue, which causes a release of endorphins. This cycle of endorphin release is enhanced through repetition, so the more you eat spicy food, the more pleasure you get from it.

Culturally, affinity for spicy foods tends to come from warm climates, so it's not particularly surprising that OnkelC isn't a huge fan of the heat. Hot spices were used historically to mask the taste of rancid meat, which isn't as big of a problem in the cooler north where meat takes longer to go bad.

Undubbed

besada said:
Salva's right, in that it's an acquired taste. Spicy foods activate the pain sensors in your tongue, which causes a release of endorphins. This cycle of endorphin release is enhanced through repetition, so the more you eat spicy food, the more pleasure you get from it.

Culturally, affinity for spicy foods tends to come from warm climates, so it's not particularly surprising that OnkelC isn't a huge fan of the heat. Hot spices were used historically to mask the taste of rancid meat, which isn't as big of a problem in the cooler north where meat takes longer to go bad.

I guess that explains it then. My mom almost never served spicy food as I grew up.

Garcia

I couldn't live without spice. However I love it mildly hot, not too much since it makes food barely edible.

Zyzyxxz

besada said:

I agree. As a child I use to hate spicy food even though I'm ethnically southern chinese and part thai.

As I grew older and tried out more kinds of foods I started to appreciate it and now I love spicy food but within reason. I love kimchi as an example.

The spiciest I'd go is probably the sichuan peppers, I've tried to eat a dried one (please dont!) and it was hell. Normally you only eat the other stuff its cooked with and not the peppers themselves.

besada

Banned
Undubbed said:
I guess that explains it then. My mom almost never served spicy food as I grew up.

My wife's either. It was one of the biggest issues for us early on. Everything she cooked was so bland. I was raised on Tex-Mex and Cajun food, and she was raised by Mormons.

She's learned to enjoy a light heat in foods, although when I make chili I have to pull off a portion before I do the final spicing, because my default chili recipe makes her weep in agony.

For me, if it doesn't clear my sinuses and make my eyebrows sweat, it's not nearly hot enough.

Aulatori

Similar to what others have said, I didn't like spicy foods growing up until I moved south. My wife on the other hand was born and raised in the south and she adds spices to everything as if it were salt and pepper.

It's been a gradual thing with me, and I don't like spice just for the heat - it's got to have flavor. I do have to say that I seek spicy foods out now and I usually miss it when it's ont there on certain foods.

Ploid 3.0

The hotter my food the better. I like a challenge.

Ferrio said:
Spicy food doesn't really change the flavor per se, but it does cause the body to release endorphins which gives you a natural high.

I've known a few people who really really can't stand anything spicy. Even something I wouldn't even consider to have any spice to it, would cause them to flush. Personally I love it, and I have a hard time convincing the thai resteraunt to give me spicy, and not what they consider american spicy

Interesting, I may be an addict.

besada

Banned
Ploid 3.0 said:
The hotter my food the better. I like a challenge.

Have you eaten Ethiopian food? The first time I ate Ethiopian food I thought my mouth would never stop burning. It uses an entirely different set of spices than you're used to.

Shouta

Nah, nothing wrong with you but typical a lot of folks don't have the tolerance for spicy food that some others do (I'm looking at you, all of Japan) so even a little bit goes a long way. I'd say simply just add tiny amounts and see how that works rather than going for something considered spicy.

Finn

besada said:
Have you eaten Ethiopian food? The first time I ate Ethiopian food I thought my mouth would never stop burning. It uses an entirely different set of spices than you're used to.
They have food in Ethiopia!? Those commercials about the starving children has lied to me.

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
I agree, hate spicy food. I've had this conversation with people a million times and they always say "omg, how can you NOT love food that scorches your mouth? You're crazy!"

Really though, I just don't get it. You can't apply that line of thinking to anything else. "Hey, jerking off is fun....I'll set my dick on fire and it'll be 10 times better!! Woohoooo!"

JavaMava

demon said:
I agree, hate spicy food. I've had this conversation with people a million times and they always say "omg, how can you NOT love food that scorches your mouth? You're crazy!"

Really though, I just don't get it. You can't apply that line of thinking to anything else. "Hey, jerking off is fun....I'll set my dick on fire and it'll be 10 times better!! Woohoooo!"

No, but if you use jalapeno pepper juice as lube, well then you're in heaven.

besada

Banned
demon said:

Don't knock it until you've tried it. Penile immolation is the hottest new kink.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
I understand people not liking food that is spicy enough where all they experience is pain, but in my day to day experience, people who complain about it generally have very dull palates and enjoy boring menus. To the point where they avoid trying different foods from around the world and can eat only very traditional meals from the same restaurants again and again. Sort of like kids.

But really, if it gives you too much pain and it's too extreme, there's nothing to be gained from that! I'm generalizing from some annoying eaters in my life :)

Kyoufu

I'm with you, don't like spicy food either. One of my best friends gets off on the spiciest radioactive curries out there. :/

demon said:

Eating spicy food releases endorphins. Pretty simple really.

I'm of Portuguese background and my mom never ever cooked anything spicy or hot spicy.

The first time i tasted spicy, like hot spicy, i was tearing like made my body is not used to it.

I love Mexican food though but I only handle mild.

agrajag

Banned
There is nothing wrong with you. Lots of people do not like spicy food, nor even tolerate it. That's why the mild flavor exists in store-bought products like salsa, and contrary to urban legends, is quite popular. I am not particularly a fan of spicy food, I just wasn't brought up in an environment where lots of spicy food was consumed.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
I love spicy food. I don't think I'd be able to live with myself knowing I can't eat it. Spicy food is just delicious. :D

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Nothing wrong with you, I'm pretty sure it's an acquired taste. A friend of mine couldn't eat spicy stuff, she spent 6 month in Thailand. And now she's a spicy food freak, putting Tobasco on her scrambled eggs in the morning and stufff.

Waikis

What's not to love?

img_3024.jpg

BitchTits

The more you eat hot food, the more you have a 'tolerance' to the sensation of warmth in your mouth and enjoy it.

If you don't like hot food, that doesn't mean you don't like spicy food - There is a difference. Spices like cumin, tumeric, aren't hot at all. It's only things like cayenne pepper (dried, ground cayenne chilli) and chilli flakes that give heat.

maladroid

I don't mind it, but I don't think I've ever been exposed to anything that hot. The worst that's happened to me is sweating. I remember one time my mum was in a rush and brought home some ordinary tasting chicken, so I covered it with that nando's sauce and it made it taste multiple times better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom