• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Biohazard 5 Demo Comparison

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Since I got the Playstation 3 version of the demo disc today, I spent most of it creating a little comparison page for multi-console owners. Theres 34 screenshots, taken at the same areas from both versions. Keep in mind that the game still has around 4 months of development time til they are released, so Capcom can still change many of the things you notice between the versions.

With that said, lets please try to keep this sane and rational.

http://www.the-horror.com/index.php?id=features&s=bh5demo

Dot50Cal

Banned
Dabanton said:
Didn't Gametrailers already do this two weeks ago?
They did a poor job. The amount of compression on the video obscured a lot of the things you'd notice on mouse-overs.

Clearly the 360 version looks better at this point, but being a Silver Live user i'll have to go for the PS3 version due to co-op.

I think more than any peen waving, these sorts of things give me a tremendous insight into the technical development process. Just see what aspects of the code work together to give the final image quality.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
_leech_ said:
Clearly the 360 version looks better at this point, but being a Silver Live user i'll have to go for the PS3 version due to co-op.
We all know both will play the same. The differences are not huge so it doesn't affect my decision nor should it really affect anyone's.

It bothers me when some choose one version over the other due to small technical issues. Most of the time the game play is intact so it should never matter. Flipping a coin would be more rational.

Tom Penny

The 360 version looks sharper with more detail. I thought the game would look better in general though. It's underwhelming.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Also, for anyone worrying about the PS3 aiming, its really awesome. I actually prefer it over the 360 controller. They didn't fall into the same pits that several other FPS/shooter games have with the bad dead zone on the controller.

Clinton514

Thanks for the pics. While noticeable, I don't think it'll sway me either way other than controls. Which I tend to gear towards the PS3 for.

Let us know when you have some vids up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Dot50Cal said:
Yeah, its completely lacking the heat haze, dust, and smoke particle effects on the 360.
Yeah. The 360 scene looks noticeably different.

Overall I'm a little underwhelmed. The game's lighting is kind of flat overall. That first shot with the green/red comparison is....like stagnant.

The gulf of difference, when viewed in motion, is not as large as I had expected. In fact, I was quite surprised when I went back and looked at the screenshots. Going from one to the other, I really couldn't find these subtle differences between the two versions until I compared screenshots directly.

Multiconsole owners will have other reasons to sway them from one version to the other besides graphics.

Dot50Cal

Banned
blindrocket said:
Multiconsole owners will have other reasons to sway them from one version to the other besides graphics.
Right, but this is an article to compare the demo, not online services, controllers or anything else like that. Obviously that'll be up to you and your personal preference.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
So how far along are both builds of the game for the demo? Is it something that will change or basically they are done for those 2 demos?

Barakov

Gold Member
Elbrain said:
So how far along are both builds of the game for the demo? Is it something that will change or basically they are done for those 2 demos?

It seems that the 360 demo is a few builds ahead of the PS3 one. I would think that that build of the PS3 demo is the one that could?/will show up on the PSN store.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Elbrain said:
I don't think they've said publicly how far they are, but from what I heard from a friend who attended a play through with both, they seemed on par. Earlier, I had a journalist tell me that the 360 version was a bit behind, lacking in cut scenes and such. So really, its anyones guess. Conflicting information and outdated builds obscure things, but if I had to guess, I'd say the PS3 is behind the 360 one by a few. The lack of dust (a pretty basic thing) seems to show this.

oneHeero

nib95 said:
You went to all that effort to compare an early demo?....
Seriously, all we are going to see is "360 better than Ps3 confirmed" when it is stated there is 4 MONTHS left. Let alone no one knows how far along these builds are..tsk tsk tsk.
How many pixels Dot? Do they break 700p?

Ps3 def version 4 me :p

Minsc

Gold Member
Tom Penny said:
The 360 version looks sharper with more detail. I thought the game would look better in general though. It's underwhelming.

In other words, the PS3 version seems to be running at a lower resolution than the 360 version. Basically the opposite of TR:U.

The lower resolution of the PS3 in the shots is what I notice immediately and what bothers me the most right off the back. Probably won't be so bad without a side by side comparison.

You really have to own all the systems to get the best version of a game, and even then you never can be completely sure :lol

Dot50Cal

Banned
oneHeero said:
How many pixels Dot? Do they break 700p?
They both seem to be 720p native.

Minsc, if you read the article, it states that the PS3 version has a slight blur to it compared to the 360. This is the default output of the 360 is sharper than the PS3 on component output. Hopefully by the time the retail version comes around, I'll have the ability to capture from HDMI to level the playing field fully.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Minsc said:
In other words, the PS3 version seems to be running at a lower resolution than the 360 version. Basically the opposite of TR:U.

The lower resolution of the PS3 in the shots is what I notice immediately and what bothers me the most right off the back. Probably won't be so bad without a side by side comparison.

You really have to own all the systems to get the best version of a game, and even then you never can be completely sure :lol

PC version!

freshair

Although already having played the 360 demo, I'm pretty fond of playing RE with the playstation controller. Can't get used to the wack d-pad on the 360 controller. X__X:lol

PSGames

Alot sharper and more detailed in the 360 Rev... this is kinda funny after that whole Tomb Raider thread. Something else to fight about I guess. :lol

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Barakov said:
It seems that the 360 demo is a few builds ahead of the PS3 one. I would think that that build of the PS3 demo is the one that could?/will show up on the PSN store.

Ahead or not, those PS3 textures are not placeholders. And they are clearly inferior.

Is screen tearing in the Ps3 version as bad as the 360 one?

Dot50Cal

Banned
CryptiK said:
Maybe they just wanted to keep the size of the demo down for the PS3 version?

or it not finished.
Its actually double the size of the 360 version. Nearly 1GB.

TTP said:
Ahead or not, those PS3 textures are not placeholders. And they are clearly inferior.
Mostly, its specular maps that are lower res. The actual textures are fine, but there are some that are lower when compared to the 360. Like the beard on the Majini with the red eyes (boy, that really narrows it down, eh?).

mintylurb

Y2Kev said:
http://www.the-horror.com/features/bh5demo/images/ps27.jpg

This image comparison is striking to me. With differences this drastic, you almost want to believe it is a difference in development at this point (PS3 version not as complete?), but maybe not. Pretty obvious in that shot.
Yup, that cut scene shot looks quite a bit nicer on the 360. And in-game comparison shots show that the 360 version looks a bit sharper as well. I wonder if the ps3 ver is running at a lower resolution.

2ihmjoy.gif

I can't sleep :(

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Dot50Cal said:
I don't think they've said publicly how far they are, but from what I heard from a friend who attended a play through with both, they seemed on par. Earlier, I had a journalist tell me that the 360 version was a bit behind, lacking in cut scenes and such. So really, its anyones guess. Conflicting information and outdated builds obscure things, but if I had to guess, I'd say the PS3 is behind the 360 one by a few. The lack of dust (a pretty basic thing) seems to show this.

Well hopefully both will look par in the end, how did the whole DMC4 thing turn out? Were both the same?

Minsc

Gold Member
freshair said:
Although already having played the 360 demo, I'm pretty fond of playing RE with the playstation controller. Can't get used to the wack d-pad on the 360 controller. X__X:lol

If we're arguing over which system has better controls, just remember it's really just an argument for second place and third place; the ideal control scheme is to no one's surprise being completely ignored by Capcom.

Dot50Cal

Banned
Elbrain said:
Well hopefully both will look par in the end, how did the whole DMC4 thing turn out? Were both the same?
60fps cutscenes on PS3 with dips, 30fps locked on 360, better ice shader on PS3 on an ice enemy, lower precision specular maps on the PS3 (somewhat blocky in certain areas). Screen tearing on 360. Overall, a toss up. You wouldn't notice the difference in motion.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dot50Cal said:
Its actually double the size of the 360 version. Nearly 1GB.

Mostly, its specular maps that are lower res. The actual textures are fine, but there are some that are lower when compared to the 360. Like the beard on the Majini with the red eyes (boy, that really narrows it down, eh?).

Not sure. Every single texture seems lower res to me. Look at Chris shirt in one of the early shots (edit: Shadow Quality 2). Or the Executioner cape.

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Dot50Cal said:
60fps cutscenes on PS3 with dips, 30fps locked on 360, better ice shader on PS3 on an ice enemy, lower precision specular maps on the PS3 (somewhat blocky in certain areas). Screen tearing on 360. Overall, a toss up. You wouldn't notice the difference in motion.

Since they both use the same engine it's probably going to end up the same right? Well hope so.

nyong

Banned
Yeah, there's a pretty big difference between the two versions. At least when looking at screenshots of a beta build. I suspect (as they said) that there is far less difference in motion.

Most importantly, why bother comparing the demos? There could be any number of reasons why the PS3 version is slightly behind the 360 at this point in time. For all we know the PS3 version will end up looking best (or the same) when it's finished.

mintylurb

Dot50Cal said:
They both seem to be 720p native.

Minsc, if you read the article, it states that the PS3 version has a slight blur to it compared to the 360. This is the default output of the 360 is sharper than the PS3 on component output. Hopefully by the time the retail version comes around, I'll have the ability to capture from HDMI to level the playing field fully.
Oh, I see. I thought you had a 360 w/hdmi. Anyway, good job mang

kenta

Has no PEINS
Dot50Cal said:
Hopefully by the time the retail version comes around, I'll have the ability to capture from HDMI
How are you planning on accomplishing this? HDCP stripper?

Dot50Cal

Banned
TTP said:
Not sure. Every single texture seems lower res to me. Look at Chris shirt in one of the early shots. Or the Executioner cape.
One thing to explain that is the 360's inability to properly apply anisotropic filtering in a transitional way. I noticed it on DMC4 as well. You'd have area's that should be a bit blurred due to them being in the background, but they are super sharp, while some things around them aren't. Its kind of a determent imo, since it makes some things stick out when they shouldn't.

kenta said:
How are you planning on accomplishing this? HDCP stripper?
I have access to a PS3 test.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom