• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War 2 Eclipses 4 Million Sold WW

FrankT

GameDaily BIZ has learned that Gears of War 2 has passed the 4 million sales plateau in two months, doubling the pace of its predecessor.

Speaking exclusively to GameDaily BIZ, Gears of War 2 global product manager Guy Welch announced that the title sold over 4 million copies in its first two months on the market. This is double the pace of the original Gears of War, which sold 2 million during that period.

"The original Gears of War was the fastest-selling next-generation game of 2006, selling more than 2 million units worldwide that Holiday, and now well over 5 million copies sold to date," said Welch. "With Gears of War 2, the game has sold over 4 million units in the first two months, doubling the pace of the original."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/gears-of-war-2-eclipses-4-million-sold/?biz=1

~2.3 million US to date.
~1.7 rest of WW.

Looks to best the first one by a good bit at this rate. How much so who knows at this point. Perhaps a million or so depending on legs. Still shy as to where I thought it maybe at two months out.

Oh yea, Congratz Clifford and Company.

In before complaints about how badly they need to patch the multiplayer.

Please patch the multiplayer. You sold 4 million goddamn units Clifford.

That's cool I guess. Got slaughtered by COD: WaW though.

Now how about you fix the online multiplayer before releasing anymore fucking map packs Epic.

That was... slow. It seemed that the original got there in half the time. Anyone know how fast the original reached this landmark?

FrankT

SimpleDesign said:
That's cool I guess. Got slaughtered by COD: WaW though.

Now how about you fix the online multiplayer before releasing anymore fucking map packs Epic.

It certainly did in it's second month. Of course MS didn't have to price drop it to $35 for the month either. :)

Stopsign said:
That was... slow. It seemed that the original got there in half the time. Anyone know how fast the original reached this landmark?

Read the OP and you shall find your answer. Hint: Gears 2=2X originals pace.

Stopsign said:
You should read the OP.

"GameDaily BIZ has learned that Gears of War 2 has passed the 4 million sales plateau in two months, doubling the pace of its predecessor."

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Stopsign said:

It says right in the article that it's doubling the pace of the original game, which ended at 5 million.

Stopsign said:

You know, there's something in the FAQ about reading first posts.

Dark FaZe said:
Since I own Gears of War 2 and have yet to even play Call of Duty: World at War, no I'm not mad about that.

However, I am mad at the broken online multiplayer Gears 2 shipped with.

DogWelder

a Master Ninja said:
In before complaints about how badly they need to patch the multiplayer.

Please patch the multiplayer. You sold 4 million goddamn units Clifford.
It's coming, man. Within the month apparently.

pringles

I'm almost surprised. Maybe it's just me but GoW2 didn't seem to have anywhere near the buzz that the first one had before launch.

..and yeah, that means there is atleast 2 million people waiting for you to fix the mp, Epic.

DogWelder

whitehawk said:
It's only going to address half the problems, if even that.

I'm still glad there's a patch coming though, don't get me wrong.
Oh... fucking Hell, do you have the list or link to where I can read that?

dolemite

Stopsign said:
zoolander-funny-shirt-center-for-kids-who-cant-read-good-300x240.gif

clashfan

Great news. Gears 2 surpasses Gears 1 single player in every area. Horde mode just makes things even better. To bad about all the bad things I hear about multiplayer.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Well deserved. Epic campaign, seamless co-op, and an awesome new multiplayer mode that countless games will copy from here on in.

whitehawk

Banned
1cesc said:
Oh... fucking Hell, do you have the list or link to where I can read that?
Hmm, I bit more than I remember, but there are still things that need to be fixed, including the most important, horrible lag.

Mark Rein said:
As I mentioned before the break we've been working on a major title update for Gears of War 2. This update will address bugs and exploits as well as add some new achievements related to downloadable content. We don't have an exact date for it but all indicators are it will go live within January. If that changes we'll let you know.

We're fixing a whole bunch of online exploits. For example we've fixed the ability to wield an invisible shield, melee through some walls, gain infinite Lancer ammo and equip a shield and a two-handed weapon simultaneously plus many more.

We're also making several small changes to improve the overall online gameplay experience. A few of the ones that might interest you are; increased penalties for quitting matches early, adding additional spawn protection against planted grenades and chainsaw attacks, and adding the ability to see the Submission flag carrier destination by using Tac/Com.

Zzoram

Stopsign said:

Is it a bannable offense to not read short OPs?

Kusagari

allan-bh said:
Honestly I expected more than 2.3M in U.S. at this point.

But of course, 4 million WW is really great.

It really isn't doing that great in America compared to the first one. It did less in December than Gears 1 did. The other territories seem to be embracing it more than the original though which makes up for it definitely.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
An interesting stat would be how many multiplayer rounds have been played so far, or number of completed matches, and then compare those figures to Gears 1 at the same time of its life cycle, as a percentage of sales. If Gears 2 didn`t have Horde I wonder where its Live standing would be, too.

Mindlog

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE 1.46M
360 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 1.33M*
WII FIT W/ BALANCE BOARD 999K
WII MARIO KART W/ WHEEL 878K
WII GUITAR HERO WORLD TOUR 859K*
360 GEARS OF WAR 2 745K*
360 LEFT 4 DEAD 629K
NDS MARIO KART 540K
PS3 CALL OF DUTY: WORLD AT WAR 533K
WII ANIMAL CROSSING: CITY FOLK 497K*

*Includes Collector's, Limited, Legendary, and Bundled Editions

_____

1. Gears of War, Xbox 360, Microsoft—815.7K
2. Guitar Hero II, PS2, Activision—805.2K
3. Madden NFL 07, PS2, EA—737.1K
4. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, GameCube, Nintendo—532.9K
5. Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii, Nintendo—519.2K
6. WWE Smackdown vs. Raw 2007, PS2, THQ—484.5K
7. New Super Mario Bros., DS, Nintendo—427.5K
8. Call of Duty 3, Xbox 360, Activision—410.8K
9. Yoshi’s Island 2, DS, Nintendo—407.2K
10. Call of Duty 3, PS2, Activision—365.3K

Words and wisdoms.

Cipherr

Kusagari said:
It really isn't doing that great in America compared to the first one. It did less in December than Gears 1 did. The other territories seem to be embracing it more than the original though which makes up for it definitely.

Could have sworn I just saw numbers in this months NPD that show the bolded was wrong. Gears 2 is ahead of Gears 1. Im pretty sure even comparing the Decembers isnt it?

In any case its moot. Game has sold 4 million copies and has barely been on the market any time at all. Massive crushing success.

Edit: WRONG TAB!

test_account

XP-39C²
Selling 4 million copies of a game is alot and a great accomplishment i must say! :) Congratulation to Epic Games and Microsoft (which publish the game)! :)

dolemite

Kusagari said:
It did 2.3 million in Dec. AND Nov. in the US alone, while the first one did about the same world wide. Gears 2 is also competing against CoD: WaW and Left4Dead.

Zhuk

Banned
Congratulations to Epic and the Xbox team for yet another blockbuster release, well deserved sales for a great game.

FrankT

Kusagari said:

It's done about ~500k more than the first in the US Nov+Dec.

Stopsign said:

:lol Idiot trying to downplay even when it's in the damn OP.

Top Bottom