• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More pumped for RE5 than Chris Redfield's pythons

Neiteio

Okay, this thread is for those of us who loved the RE5 demo. Yeah, all two of us!

I can't stop playing it. I boot it up from the XMB at midnight saying "One quick round so I can get up early tomorrow," then I play Public Assembly 'til three in the morning. The stop 'n pop gameplay is as amazing as ever; this is true survival, picking your battles, planting your feet and drawing a bead on the enemy, stunning a baddy then driving your fist through his face, whipping about and stunning an incoming baddy at the last second, uppercutting him and his pals, your back vulnerable the whole time, forcing you to act quickly and rush through the fray, through explosions and collapsing scaffoldings and electrical storms, looking for more elbow room, for an opening in the crowd to jump in and hook-hook-straight-uppercut-snap-stomp six people one after another, then fleeing by the skin of your teeth, kicking open a door and launching the guy behind it flying into the wall, his corpse breaking crates as it pinballs off the wall, but you hardly have time to smirk because you're trying to survive. I derive IMMENSE satisfaction from the hit-zone aiming and context-sensitive attacks; it's a pitch-perfect blend of action and reaction, and it rewards real skill, the good players decimating a dozen Majini on a single clip if they attack right. With the right partner online you feel like a whirlwind of destruction, an unstoppable god.

The seldom-discussed Type B scheme is, for me, the perfect evolution of the classic controls; I thrive with aim on L1 and fire on R1, like MGS4. I like it with the Y-axis inverted and aiming speed cranked up. As for levels, Public Assembly is where it's at. It's essentially RE4’s cabin siege and Mercenaries Mode rolled into one, set in a more destructible environment with a real lived-in feeling and strong sense of temperature warmth. To me, Public Assembly never gets boring. The constant stream of enemies, the multiple ways in and out of each building, the way the Axeman levels walls and buildings pursuing you, it's all so awesome. Shanty Town is great too, a nice breather after the adrenaline rush of Public Assembly. This is such a generous demo.

And a gorgeous one. The PS3 demo has ever-so-slight bouts of slowdown, which I’ve only noticed twice in the 200 times I’ve played. And it’s not the sort that impedes gameplay, as you still have complete control and it’s only there for a split-second as your grenade smokes a gang crammed in an alley. What IS noticeable is how slick the game looks; the skein of grime on every surface, the searing heat of a golden sky, the lush green palms and ramshackle constructs of abject poverty, all blending together in one cohesive, believable world. I loved the Gothic trappings and ice-cold wilderness of RE4, but this is a great change of pace. And the character models look remarkable, especially the muscles and soft, organic skin. Sometimes I’ll watch the grisly execution scene (and I HATE the death penalty) merely to marvel at the orator’s glistening face. I also dig Chris’ hair and Sheva’s soulful eyes. This game looks top-notch.

I could go on about the score, which I’ll say right now is going to be the series’ best, and the Swahili language, which is beautiful even when spoken by men turned to monsters. I could rave about the split-screen and online co-op, and heap praise on Sheva’s versatile AI, which has been immaculate for me. I feel like I should throw in some criticisms since that’s the fashionable thing to do online, but at this point any imperfections are minor quibbles, flyspecks on the dome of the Sistine Chapel. Hate on me for liking it, but this game makes me happy.

I’m pumped. Are you?

Yeah I don't really get the hate. Game is gonna kick ass and I have a policy of buying most any shooter with online co-op.

-viper-

Banned
The only reason I'm going to get the game because online co-op is awesome. The partner A.I. is fucking awful though.

Neiteio said:
I could go on about the score, which I’ll say right now is going to be the series’ best, and the Swahili language, which is beautiful even when spoken by men turned to monsters. I could rave about the split-screen and online co-op, and heap praise on Sheva’s versatile AI, which has been immaculate for me. I feel like I should throw in some criticisms since that’s the fashionable thing to do online, but at this point any imperfections are minor quibbles, flyspecks on the dome of the Sistine Chapel. Hate on me for liking it, but this game makes me happy.

I’m pumped. Are you?

Of course I'm pumped. I disagree with this though!!! If RE5 could top ANY of the previous games music (other than 4) I'd be extremely surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tihkvj5vCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32eMkuN_uM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUfSMt1T1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OaLwFgtIAQ&feature=related

scitek

Game's going to be great even if it's just RE4 HD in a new location. No need to change something that worked to near perfection last time. That said, I do think Chris looks fucking ridiculous. HULK SMASH

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I like the demo a lot, can't wait for the full game. Is it possible to kill the executioner guy? I managed to kill the chainsaw guy, and managed to finish the other demo level as well, just by avoiding the executioner for long enough for the helicopter to come in, but I spent all the ammo trying to kill him, and he wouldn't die.

I'd be excited if I could actually find someone who's willing to play the game with me. Almost everyone I know is getting Killzone. I'm still getting it, but playing with randos is gonna be shit.

Neiteio

Dark FaZe said:
If RE5 could top ANY of the previous games music (other than 4) I'd be extremely surprised.
Listen to the music from the two TGS '08 trailers, the one that begins with Chris driving ("Sometimes I wonder if it's all worth fighting for"), and the other one that begins with the masked woman and the guy possessed by parasites. In particular, listen to the song each trailer ends with. These are beautiful tracks, that I can listen to over and over. Anyone know the composer and orchestra?

Strider2K99 said:
Neiteio, you make the most amusing posts sometimes. :lol
Erm, thanks?

Volcynika

Pop On Arrival said:
I'd be excited if I could actually find someone who's willing to play the game with me. Almost everyone I know is getting Killzone. I'm still getting it, but playing with randos is gonna be shit.

I'll play! (not even that interested in Killzone 2, so no worries there!)

Dark FaZe said:
Of course I'm pumped. I disagree with this though!!! If RE5 could top ANY of the previous games music (other than 4) I'd be extremely surprised.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tihkvj5vCo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i32eMkuN_uM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqUfSMt1T1A
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0OaLwFgtIAQ&feature=related

Thank You for the memory.

The soundtrack fit the theme of the game, which was horror. The music in RE5 is nothing but over used "tense" music.

Raide

I need to play the demo more since I have not got use to the controls yet. The last Resi game I really played was CV, so without Resi 4 background, I feel a little lost.:lol

I enjoyed the demo and finding out all of the cool tricks, like item dodging and opening the locked door in Shanty Town with a grenade

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I like how much faster this asshole can move and pull out his gun and knife quicker than Leon. That already makes the game more fun than RE4.

Davey Cakes

Wow, another RE5 thread.

This time, it's for RE5-loving circle-jerkers who felt insecure due to the skeptics in the other threads.

Varna

I found myself really loving the game in co-op mode. Once I got some practice in, I was kicking ass just as hard as I was in RE4 (even more so since it's easier to get meele attacks because you can take advantage of your partners attacks). Definitely will buy it.

Type A controls for me. It just feels so awkward in any other mode.

I am a bit worried that I find it so hard to play single player though.

Rash said:
Wow, another RE5 thread.

This time, it's for RE5-loving circle-jerkers who felt insecure due to the skeptics in the other threads.
LOL? I never even read the other threads. I just genuinely enjoy the demo.

Neiteio

iDoubleSpy said:
Thank You for the memory.

The soundtrack fit the theme of the game, which was horror. The music in RE5 is nothing but over used "tense" music.
Time to bust out the YouTube. Pure magic, starting at 2:00.

Lord Error said:
I like the demo a lot, can't wait for the full game. Is it possible to kill the executioner guy? I managed to kill the chainsaw guy, and managed to finish the other demo level as well, just by avoiding the executioner for long enough for the helicopter to come in, but I spent all the ammo trying to kill him, and he wouldn't die.
You bet it's possible, and you get treasure if you do! Two shotgun blasts to the face will stun him, at which point you can squeeze off a couple quick handgun shots, then deliver an uppercut as he starts to stand. Try catching him in the blast of an explosive barrel, which will also leave him stunned for an uppercut, and shoot down the power transformers mounted around the stage to shock him with electricity (and shoot them again for subsequent bursts). Keep popping him twice in the face and punching him when fallen, and if Sheva's around you can double-team him with your context-sensitive attacks.

He will die, with time.

Davey Cakes

viewtiful_dru said:
LOL? I never even read the other threads. I just genuinely enjoy the demo.
I genuinely enjoyed the demo as well. Didn't keep me from posting in the official demo thread.

FrankT

Yup, seriously pumped. All the reviews so far have been solid and I've played the demo so so much now. The single player is going to be 15-20 hours alone and then on top that it's got the online co-op which I'm in love with so far. The replay value for this game is going to be great. I plan to knock out the single player first, but the co-op is going to be a real treat.

Threi

notag
The demo pushed me from "maaaybe" into "IM GETTING THIS ON THE DAY IT COMES OUT". The more I play it the more I like it, and I have higher standards for controls than 99% of these dual-analog defenders. :lol

I love the co-op gameplay of RE, I don't play it (or any game in general) thinking "I don't like this game because it doesn't play like xxx game i like".

So if those who play games to compare it to other games don't want it, that is completely fine with me. The further I distance myself from those who like games like gears of war the better.

And if they really skip it at least I will find better partners online who know how to actually fucking play the game. :D

Neiteio

Rash said:
I genuinely enjoyed the demo as well. Didn't keep me from posting in the official demo thread.
I'm sorry that you're so upset over the existence of this thread. It wasn't meant to hurt your feelings.

Like the SF4 thread, which for a while obsessed over fightsticks and paying to see Chun-Li's thighs, the other RE4 thread seems to be a few very vocal people fixating on their inability to play the game. This thread is for everyone who thrived in the RE5 demo, for unapologetic enthusiasm and sharing what made it "work" for them.

Again, no hard feelings.

Un4

I liked the demo, but after playing Dead Space this week i can't really see myself going back to RE 5's controls.

Neiteio

scitek said:
Bullshit, I hope this thread eats his first-born child.
He's a Mother 3 fan, he can't be that bad.

Threi said:
And if they really skip it at least I will find better partners online who know how to actually fucking play the game
Agreed. Although it's fun protecting the little guy sometimes.

Un4 said:
I liked the demo, but after playing Dead Space this week i can't really see myself going back to RE 5's controls.
So you don't like the controls. But what did you like? That's this thread's business, yo.

Also, no love for RE5 music? Did anyone listen to the TGS '08 trailers? Hello? (2:00)

ultim8p00

Banned
I played the demo and anything buy Type C was shit.
Also, idk, I was kinda pumped for the game but the last thread and the Eurogamer previews have just killed any type of excitement I had for this game. I just can't imagine myself going through all THAT stuff if it's indeed that bad. Still, we haven't seen the whole game yet so I'm still keeping an open mind since I really liked the demo.

comrade

Un4 said:
Then I don't think this thread is for you.

I myself can't wait until the full game. I already have my co-op partner and we're ready to explode some heads. It'll be tough to put down Killzone but the gameplay of RE4/5 is so unique I just can't get enough of it.

ashism

I was digging the new dual stick controls, but totally frustrated by the sprint button being relegated to a face button.

A friend then let me know I could hold down LS to sprint instead.

After that it all came back to me, I was punching crowds of zombies in the face in no time.

Interesting analysis on the control schemes.

That shirt of his is seriously strangling his pythons, it's ridiculous. I can't stop staring at this phenomenon whenever he enters the idle animation. Speaking of which, I love how coordinated the two of them are with that. It's like Simon says or something. Sheva is Chris' lil bitch.

"Come on!"
"Ok!"
"Come on!"
"Ok!"
"Come on!"
"Ok!"
"Come on!"
"Ok!"
"Come on! Come on!"
"Ok! Ok!"
"Come on!"
"Forget it!"

And then she runs off and steals my stuff all the time. :(
Seriously, that's sort of annoying. She did find, pick up and give me handgun ammo once, so that's neat, and I guess there's maybe some AI algorithm telling her to hand stuff over to you if you need it more than her perhaps. But dammit, I want everything!

Neiteio

Ooo, I didn't know you could sprint in Type D by holding L3. I may have to try that!

And on the topic of "hidden" functionality, you can taunt by holding in both L3 and R3 at the same time, which actually draws enemy attention away from your partner and toward you, allowing you to set up team attacks (the only way to do Chris' Haymaker and Backhand attacks!). Also, holding the Assist button then tapping different directions on the d-pad yields different bits of dialogue: Up is "Go," for instance, Left is "Thanks" (useful for showing appreciation after receiving ammo or an herbal boost, or for sarcasm after your teammate blows up the barrel next to you), and Down is "Wait," good for when you want to check something and your partner's about to start the next setpiece.

Half of these don't apply in single-player, of course, but for the headset-deprived it's a godsend. Speaking of which, this game makes me think it's time to pick up a high-quality PS3 headset. Recommendations?

On another note, as a guy who likes monsters I think the Axeman is beautiful. The sickly lavendar hue, the oily sheen, the acupuncture-gone-wrong, it's just great. I think the lacerated skin of the chainsaw Majini is neat to look at, too. Now it's only a question of whether RE5 will have any monsters that can top the insectile grotesquerie of RE4's Bitores Mendez.

I like it more and more myself. Me and my girlfriend are getting more and more into it as we replay it.. i'm going to buy RE4wii soon because of it

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Yeah... was fence sitting on this one, but after playing through the demo a few times, put down a preorder for this sumbitch.

Despite the controls... it really works.

After a couple of tries at the game, you get used to the awkwardness of the controls... and the internal logic of the control scheme. After that, you just start to enjoy the game for what it is... a really polished entry into the survival horror action genre.

ashism

Core407 said:
The game is Godly and delivers on all fronts. The only nagging complaint is that there are no evade moves.
With those massive guns, why would you need to evade anything?! You are a man!

PnCIa

Dunno how many love the demo, but count me in. It´s RE4 on crack, but how could that be a bad thing. Sure i would also like some sort of evolution but the basic gameplay is so much fun =)

ashism

revolverjgw said:
I love it, but the vocal minority that hates it is going to make things tough
A demo is free, so everyone has room to hate the shit out of it. Once the final version comes out, only those who know what to expect are going to pick it up and post about it. Vocal minority will settle down and move on to the next free demo to freak out on.

Neiteio

The S-Word said:
I like it more and more myself. Me and my girlfriend are getting more and more into it as we replay it.. i'm going to buy RE4wii soon because of it
I'm happy for you that you have a girl who's not only into Resident Evil, but can wrap her mind around how to play it. I'll be playing it on and off with my bros in splitscreen, and I hope GAF will be up to start some co-op playthroughs. Teamwork is fun!

Be careful, though. The Wii controls will spoil you veeery quickly.

Crayon Shinchan said:
Yeah... was fence sitting on this one, but after playing through the demo a few times, put down a preorder for this sumbitch.

Despite the controls... it really works.

After a couple of tries at the game, you get used to the awkwardness of the controls... and the internal logic of the control scheme. After that, you just start to enjoy the game for what it is... a really polished entry into the survival horror action genre.
Agreed. The controls serve the game well. In appearance the game may be more Rambo than Night of the Living Dead, but there is still a persistent tenseness, one of the tenets of terror. This tenseness is predicated on vulnerability, which in turn is the result of having to watch your back, your proximity to others, your reload times and an everchanging battlefield. No amount of skill will ever relieve you of having to keep moving, as you'll have to physically quick-turn to check your rear, and yet you can't shoot while moving, which creates a risk/reward dynamic: do I stay and fight and possibly get mauled, or do I run and let the threat grow but afford myself more breathing room? The game is scarier for it.

And bright daylit African setting be damned, the game is still HORROR. People like to say it isn't, but there's still plenty of unsettling creepiness in this game. Some of the Majini look downright bloodthirsty, and the sense of death and decay packed into every maggot-infested carcass and bloodstained wall is palpable. Sometimes the "horror" aspect is more the flavor of the setting than the functional jumpscares, but it's still there, the sense that you're on the brink of hell. I imagine this will become more apparent later in the game when day turns to dusk.

Core407 said:
The game is Godly and delivers on all fronts. The only nagging complaint is that there are no evade moves.
I could've sworn I saw my brother do a context-sensitive evade move. Anyone else notice this? For the most part the game keeps you psychologically on edge by keeping you vulnerable, but I wouldn't be surprised if some quick dodges were in there...

Llyranor

Never played RE before, absolutely loved it. Controls are fine, co-op is fantastic. That's +2 day1 sales for Capcom.

Top Bottom