• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More pumped for RE5 than Chris Redfield's pythons

Count Jobula

Neo Member
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on if the PS3 version of this game really does look worse? I don't have a particular loyalty to either console, but I'd prefer PS3 just because I don't expect it to break. Lost quite a few 360s here....

(sorry to change the focus here)

Sectus

Count Jobula said:
Can anyone give me a definitive answer on if the PS3 version of this game really does look worse? I don't have a particular loyalty to either console, but I'd prefer PS3 just because I don't expect it to break. Lost quite a few 360s here....

(sorry to change the focus here)
Graphics looks pretty much identical unless you start to carefully compare screenshots. The only noticable difference is the framerate, that's worse on the PS3 (but it's still fully playable). I personally would say that a more important difference is the controller and how many friends you have on 360 and PS3.

I've already pre-ordered PS3 and 360 versions of the game. Once the PC version is announced I'll pre-order that instantly.

hiryu

Finally got around to playing the demo last night and really enjoyed the two sections. Chainsaw guy fucked me up. I thought the co-op character would be annoying while playing single player but her AI was really good.

Controls seemed fine to me except I kept looking up when using my knife. Can't wait for the game to come out.

Mantorok

You know what - I think this game is going to be fantastic and I can happily play the demo on and on.

The problem is that everyone pretty much was dissapointed when they first played it, the demo had to grow on most people (including me), but part of me can't help thinking that it's just that we had to adjust after 2004's RE4, it's been a long time, a 'lot' of action games have come out since and going back to an RE4 sequel was quite strange after so long.

I honestly believe the hype is now that people know they are going to get a cracking sequel to a cracking game, yeah the online co-op is great, but seriously, the knowledge that this is going to match up to RE4 is the main driver for me.

Anyone else agree?

Chris - Why don't you use the regular army? Why do you need us for?
Dillon - Because some damn fool accused you of being the best.
Chris - Dillon! You son of a bitch!
439066469_ca87df366b.jpg

Chris - What's the matter? The BSAA got you pushing too many pencils?

Davey Cakes

I like that London idea. Definitely something that seems like it'd be a natural progression. You know, back into a city setting.

The city also has a lot more opportunities for the horror-heavy atmosphere that we love so much about RE and that seems to be missing in RE5 (from what we've seen). The dark streets, alleyways, and even the buildings.

Seriously, as someone already said, just making RE2 with the RE4/RE5 engine would be great, but having a new (but similar) location would be even better. It doesn't sound like something that would be hard to make, either.

VaLiancY

I remember Jun(the producer) saying he wanted to do a RE2 remake, that would be awesome. A sequel or remake of RE2, both would be great. You can never have enough RE, that's damn a fact. :D

Is it March yet guys?

There should be a co-op mercs and a single mercs mode because I don't want to have to rely on Sheva when it comes to getting big time scores.

elohel

yeah so...

do they explain whether or not chris is juicin'

cuz.......he didn't look like this at all in the mansion

i think he's been juicin'

tass0 said:
If they ever do remake RE2, oh my god. Hope they will keep classic RE alive with fixed camera angles <3
Actually, I'd like Capcom to do what they were doing for Resident Evil 3.5. You know, where most of the rooms and hallways have fixed camera angles, but when you go to aim with any gun, it becomes over the shoulder (like RE4 and 5). Then, there are some narrow halls where the camera follows you from behind. I think that would be the best bet for a REmake 2; we get the best of both worlds that way.

Here's Resident Evil 3.5 by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWpEE_5pDzQ

KeeSomething said:
Actually, I'd like Capcom to do what they were doing for Resident Evil 3.5. You know, where most of the rooms and hallways have fixed camera angles, but when you go to aim with any gun, it becomes over the shoulder (like RE4 and 5). Then, there are some narrow halls where the camera follows you from behind. I think that would be the best bet for a REmake 2; we get the best of both worlds that way.

Here's Resident Evil 3.5 by the way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWpEE_5pDzQ

Why do people list that as 3.5 when it was really 4 before it was scrapped and done over? iono I didn't like how he kinda went to like a ghost feel in that one, I'm kinda glad they swayed from it, the only good part was the scare aspect of it.

HankScorpio said:
Why do people list that as 3.5 when it was really 4 before it was scrapped and done over?
For the same reason people call the older version of RE2 RE1.5; it's the game after Resident Evil 3, but it isn't quite RE4 since it was scrapped. It makes perfect sense to me; plus, it's just easier to say than "the unreleased hookman version of Resident Evil 4."

iono I didn't like how he kinda went to like a ghost feel in that one, I'm kinda glad they swayed from it, the only good part was the scare aspect of it.
Leon was apparently infected with some virus that made him see things that weren't there. I thought it was a cool concept.

tass0 said:
If they ever do remake RE2, oh my god. Hope they will keep classic RE alive with fixed camera angles <3
I've said it before. Remake RE2 AND 3 in one giant game that fixes all the continuity errors and mixes together the bestiaries from both games and brings in some of the stuff that was happening behind the scenes, with prerendered backgrounds and the controls from RE3 (quick turn and dodging). Add an awesome Mercenaries mode with selectable stages (police station, raccoon city, etcetera) and many characters and lots of unlocks for the main game. It would be the world's greatest RE fangasm. I'm praying it'll happen because I'd absolutely without a doubt buy a Wii for it.

I still think RE3 would be a better remake than RE2. Raccoon City open to the player...more action oriented with co-op possibilities as well as having Nemesis chase you around.

Dark FaZe said:
I still think RE3 would be a better remake than RE2. Raccoon City open to the player...more action oriented with co-op possibilities as well as having Nemesis chase you around.
Why choose between both? RE3 Day 1 -> RE2 -> RE3 Day 2, all in one game.

sphinx

the piano man
I am not sure where to ask, I guess this thread will do.

I have been on a media blackout for 7 or 8 months and haven't played the demo and haven't seen much of RE5. My only hype comes from RE4 and its awesomeness.

I don't care AT ALL, not a bit, not in the slightest about co-op of any kind.

Am I in for a rude awakening and a sad disappontment if I get the game?

All I see is people talking about "awesome co-op" and nothing else :(.

Aske

sphinx said:

I have been on a media blackout for 7 or 8 months and haven't played the demo and haven't seen much of RE5. My only hype comes from RE4 and its awesomeness.

I was exactly like you, and I'd advise you to play the demo a few times. My fears were put to rest, but the AI partner is irritating to most and kills the game for a few. There are no spoilers and only two 'scenes' - enough to give you a good taste without ruining a portion of the full experience. But given how polarizing the single player experience has been, it doesn't make sense to gamble on the full game.

Nizz

Sectus said:
Graphics looks pretty much identical unless you start to carefully compare screenshots. The only noticable difference is the framerate, that's worse on the PS3 (but it's still fully playable). I personally would say that a more important difference is the controller and how many friends you have on 360 and PS3.

I've already pre-ordered PS3 and 360 versions of the game. Once the PC version is announced I'll pre-order that instantly.
Do we know if that's definitely the case for the final version? I understand the PS3 demo build is kinda old but I'm assuming the final game will look identical on both consoles...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
sphinx said:

Play the demo, rent the full game if that doesn't sell you. The game is a co-op game, but I've found that if you leave Sheva in her default cover mode, she basically just stays behind me and acts invisible, occasionally picking up some ammo of a healing item, or healing me when I'm about to die. But, there are some who disagree with this, but then, a lot of those people played the demo once or twice, didn't understand the inventory, didn't like the controls, and didn't understand the co-op mechanic, so they brushed the game off without giving it a fair shake (and who can blame them, I guess).

fps fanatic said:
Do we know if that's definitely the case for the final version? I understand the PS3 demo build is kinda old but I'm assuming the final game will look identical on both consoles...
Reviews have mentioned it, yes. It happens in areas like the Public Assembly in the demo when you get swamped by enemies. The 360 has basically no framerate drops, but apparently has some tearing when you put it at any resolution higher than 720p.

Binabik15 said:
I didn´t like the Xbox 360 controls, so I went on and downloaded the PS3 demo. But everytime I walk into the hut in shanty twon the cutscene plays, the screen flashes loading for 15+ minutes and upon pressing the PS button, the screen goes black and the console doesn´t react anymore. Public assembly works fine. I tried it 3 times, even deleted the demo and downloaded it again.

Anybody else had this problem? I won´t buy the game for my xbox, I just don´t like the controller (and I have sourround sound on the PS3), but won´t buy the game if I can´t even finish the demo without problems, but I haven´t heard about somebody else having this problem.

It plays everything esle fine, the KZ2 demo, disc based games, Blu-rays, Public Assembly...just not Shanty Twon, wtf?! Help.

Had this problem initially when I was going to play it on my friend's 40 GB in Public Assembly, actually(works flawlessly on my 60GB). We just flicked the power button on the back of the PS3 on and off and tried again, it worked after 2 times. Sucks that it still seemingly doesn't work for you.

We also re-synced the controllers just to be sure, because when I hit PS, it went to frozen black.

Nizz

Rez>You said:
Reviews have mentioned it, yes. It happens in areas like the Public Assembly in the demo when you get swamped by enemies. The 360 has basically no framerate drops, but apparently has some tearing when you put it at any resolution higher than 720p.
:(

Prine said:
I was far more impressed with RE5 demo than Killzone demo. The gunplay is so damn satisfying.

This is my most wanted game right now, i have no doubt RE5 will live up to RE4s legacy

This is how I feel.

fps fanatic said:

I didn't see that. Screen tearing makes my brain hurt, and I can never not see it when it happens. It's by far my biggest pet peeve with the 360, since vsync is off on every single goddamned game (leaving the framerate's stability as the determining factor). But I tried 720p, 1080i and 1080p and found tearing to be almost non-existant, and not any worse in one resolution over another. Tearing usually happens while strafing, turning, or both, but no matter how much of this I did, I saw almost none.

For the record, I had the same result on the PS3: virtually no tearing. It's a bit less sharp and I saw a stutter or two, though.

Nikorasu

RadioHeadAche said:
This is how I feel.

Me too. I mean I've played the KZ2 demo over and over for like an hour at a time, and it's definitely something else, but RE5's gameplay just clicks with me. Considering how many times I've replayed RE4, it probably shouldn't be any shock.

Nikorasu said:
Me too. I mean I've played the KZ2 demo over and over for like an hour at a time, and it's definitely something else, but RE5's gameplay just clicks with me. Considering how many times I've replayed RE4, it probably shouldn't be any shock.

I know. RE4 is one of my most replayed games. In fact, I've been replaying the RE5 demo every chance I get.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RadioHeadAche said:
I know. RE4 is one of my most replayed games. In fact, I've been replaying the RE5 demo every chance I get.
Mmm, the RE5 demo is basically the reason I bother turning on my 360/PS3 at the moment. :lol

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
It's funny, this is one of my most anticipated games in years but it's the first that I've been really able to keep hype in check and avoid a good amount of media for. I adored the demo but have been able to refrain from playing it too much. This is a good thing, I'll be going in fresh and hopefully it'll live up to RE4, which I also didn't know much about before playing it.

Neiteio

°°ToMmY°° said:
i'd really like if the quick d-pad selections were mapped to 8 directions and not only 4. it would be so much better.
That... is a very good idea! Since the inventory is an eight-square grid, it'd work perfectly. Maybe they'll patch it in?

On another note, it just struck me how many parallels there are between RE5 and RE4. Aside from the obvious similarities in gameplay style, both games showed a water boss and El Gigante in trailers prior to their release; both feature a female double agent from the main character's past (Ada Wong for Leon,
Jill Valentine
for Chris); both have several groups of zombies (villagers/monks/soldiers for RE4, villagers/tribesmen/soldiers for RE5); both have a cartoonish, off-his-rocker boss that transforms into a monster where you can still see his original body entwined with the beast ("Cap'n Crunch" Salazar with his body-in-flower-monster, and "Firewoiks" Irving with his body-in-sea-monster's-maw, as can be seen in the Claire video at the website). And the best part is, none of these parallels feel stale thanks to the variety offered by the African setting and the whole Black Hawk Down, pulp-adventure vibe the story brings to the table.

If you're a PS3 owner like myself, I highly recommending this version of the new trailer, as it's a top-quality mp4 that'll play perfectly on your PS3 when you slap it on a flash stick and copy it over. The XBox 360 logo at the end will seem a lil' strange on a PS3, but it's such a swell trailer that it belongs on any RE fan's HDD. The music is incredible; the Hollywood Orchestra they're using to record 15+ minutes of in-game music sounds like it's being put to good use.

Finally, I'd like to shower some praise on the villainess Excella. I love in the new trailer how she shakes her head sarcastically as she says "vigilante mission," sort of half-taunting our heroes and looking sadistically amused the whole while. Little touches like this, coupled with the sultry Italian accent, make her believably real. It's a shame the first thing most will notice about her are her "ballistics" (and I don't blame 'em)!

Plus, the actress who does her voice and mo-cap, Nina Fehren, is a hottie.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Anyone know the character of the dude with her in the mo-cap shot? I know it's not Irving's actor because that guy looks just like his in-game character. I suspect it's the actor who does Wesker.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Neiteio said:
Plus, the actress who does her voice and mo-cap, Nina Fehren, is a hottie.

001.jpg

003.jpg

Anyone know the character of the dude with her in the mo-cap shot? I know it's not Irving's actor because that guy looks just like his in-game character. I suspect it must be the actor who does Wesker.
hot

Top Bottom