• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More pumped for RE5 than Chris Redfield's pythons

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
As an AI, Sheva is a hassle to put up with. She is even worse than Ashley, who acually wasn't bad at all, since you can't tell her to stay put while you take care of the bad guys. She's always off getting into trouble like getting stuck behind doors, trying to snipe enemies while standing in the middle of the street, or just standing in the middle of the street doing NOTHING waiting to ruin my good streak by getting beheaded.

The demo goes from great to awesome when playing with another player. I don't have the luxury to play the entire campaign with another, in fact, I don't think most gamers do. RE5 should have really studied Gears more to learn how to balance a good single and co-op game.
You're not the only one to have similar complaints, but I find that really odd. I haven't had any trouble keeping Sheva alive when faced with Chainsaw or Executioner. She just stays beside me, and generally looks after herself. Even when I'm being a smart ass and tempting fate by narrowly avoiding an axe swing or running past the chainsaw man a millisecond before he swings, Sheva always takes the nesessary couple of steps to the side/back when the mini-bosses enter their attack animations, before joining me by my side.

Are you leaving her in Cover Mode?

RandomVince said:
Type C sounds like the RE3 Nemesis mod of RE4 controls. Fair call?
I'm unfamiliar with the RE3 Nemesis mod. :)

Nikorasu said:
Eh, I think panning the camera with the right stick is just as effective as strafing. I'm really not a stubborn purist or anything, but I do like the original controls. I have used both, and I don't feel like the added movement is all that beneficial.
Fair enough. The main reason I use Type C is so that I can occasionally look at stuff like the pretty sky-box in the Public Assembly. :lol

Yagharek

Rez>You said:

I just meant in terms of RE3 having more specific options for dodging around zombies. Though I may be relying on a fuzzy memory here, if Type C lets you dodge/strafe easier, then it sounds like my memory of Nemesis' control options.

Edit: ooh, I found out something useful (and obvious?) in Public Assembly.
If you go out the room you start in before the axe-man breaks the fence, you can have a clear shot at the Master of Ceremonies up on his podium. Knocking the megaphone out of his hand seems to reduce the number of zombies you have to deal with because he can no longer direct them to your location

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RandomVince said:
I just meant in terms of RE3 having more specific options for dodging around zombies. Though I may be relying on a fuzzy memory here, if Type C lets you dodge/strafe easier, then it sounds like my memory of Nemesis' control options.
Oh right, right.Yeah, it is comparable. For instance, dodging the Executioner is much, much easier when you can strafe. When he starts his swing downward animation, all you have to do is take a few steps to the side, and then continue unloading your shotgun into him. It actually makes taking him down pretty easy (assuming he doesn't throw a spanner in the works by doing his sideways swing move :lol ).

RandomVince said:
If you go out the room you start in before the axe-man breaks the fence, you can have a clear shot at the Master of Ceremonies up on his podium. Knocking the megaphone out of his hand seems to reduce the number of zombies you have to deal with because he can no longer direct them to your location
Cool, I never knew that. I'll try it out next time I play, usually I just leave him up there, or see if I can hit him with a shotgun blast from halfway across the map. :D

Neiteio said:
And on the topic of "hidden" functionality, you can taunt by holding in both L3 and R3 at the same time, which actually draws enemy attention away from your partner and toward you, allowing you to set up team attacks (the only way to do Chris' Haymaker and Backhand attacks!). Also, holding the Assist button then tapping different directions on the d-pad yields different bits of dialogue: Up is "Go," for instance, Left is "Thanks" (useful for showing appreciation after receiving ammo or an herbal boost, or for sarcasm after your teammate blows up the barrel next to you), and Down is "Wait," good for when you want to check something and your partner's about to start the next setpiece.
I had no idea about these techniques. Thanks for pointing them out because I would have never even known about them in the demo. I agree about RE5 too. I'm impressed with it and I'm glad it's pretty much only a month away. I especially love Chris and Sheva's ground melee attacks. It literally never gets old stabbing someone in the throat on the ground or stomping them and they are much better than using the knife or using ammo. The controls take a little getting used to because much more is being asked of them than even RE4 asked of them, but I've adapted back to them. I love the pounding tense music that starts in Public Assembly when the executioner breaks the gate too. Having the Megaphone guy as an actual enemy was a cool touch too. The Type C controls are a perfect balance of Gears controls with RE4 controls for me. The only thing I wish is I want to be able to turn just a bit faster on the right stick to get up stairs and position the characters better. Other than that, RE5 will be a great time.

Nikorasu

Rez>You said:
You're not the only one to have similar complaints, but I find that really odd. I haven't had any trouble keeping Sheva alive when faced with Chainsaw or Executioner. She just stays beside me, and generally looks after herself. Even when I'm being a smart ass and tempting fate by narrowly avoiding an axe swing or running past the chainsaw man a millisecond before he swings, Sheva always takes the nesessary couple of steps to the side/back when the mini-bosses enter their attack animations, before joining me by my side.

I agree. Most of the time I find Sheva to be more useful than a live player because she always knows what to do and she's very selfless. And really, I've played the demo a dozen times alone now, and Sheva has NOT ONCE got a chainsaw in the face. I have... twice because I tempted fate. But never Sheva. She saves your ass a lot, and its kind of expected of you to at least keep an eye on her. She's really like an extension of your own player. If she dies, it's usually because you did something that put her in danger.

Control style B and C are way too hard to get used to. I'm fine with A and D, but the others have so much inconsistancy with the controls that it ends up feeling unnatural to do simple actions. A feels the most intuitive to me now. D had the benefit of strafing, but you go way to slow that it's often better to fall into old habits of doing long strides and mastering the 180 spin.

Rez>You said:

I've tried setting her to attack with different equipment and she's still dumb as a brick.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Linkzg said:
I've tried setting her to attack with different equipment and she's still dumb as a brick.
Mmm, using Attack Mode really has no purpose, it usually just gets her killed. At least in the demo, anyway. It might be for bosses or something.

Yagharek

I tend to attack from a distance, or barricade myself in. If that fails, keep moving. In all cases that means I call Sheva as often as necessary, usually as soon as I get to a safer area. She is also great at defending you whilst you are pushing bookshelves into place, for example.

Nikorasu

Rez>You said:
Mmm, using Attack Mode really has no purpose, it usually just gets her killed. At least in the demo, anyway. It might be for bosses or something.

I usually get her to attack if there is just a huge group of zombies because she just goes nuts and wades into them. It's quite cool to watch, unless something goes horribly wrong.

I'd imagine in the final game it's usage will change when you have your ammo to worry about and what kind of enemies you'll be facing.

Sectus

HomerSimpson-Man said:
RE4 was hit with similar complaints of cumbersome controls.

It's been 4 years since RE4 and it's been over a decade it's the another variation of the tank-controls yet again for the RE series. Capcom doesn't have much of an excuse anymore why they stick to such an archaic control scheme that's more detrimental than it really should. It's even more of a mind blogger the fact the game has increased it's approach towards a style of gameplay that works far better with another control scheme, especially proven ones.

That isn't really an experience, it's a detriment of play mechanics. The scenarios that Capcom with the gameplay is great, now that's an experience, the controls we just tolerate and get used to. It's just one design decision holding it back of all things.

Dead Space, Halo, Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty, Bioshock. All using variations of useful and well proven shooter control mechanics and yet all are different game experiences.

Being different for the sake of different isn't a good reason, which makes it even sadder are that the controls are literally only like half-step away from being so much better. Refining the mechanics to ones that suit it is important, but for the sake of "intensity" Capcom locks you down, in a third person action shooter no less.
Those controls do lead to another gameplay experience though. If they just throw in controls similar to Halo, Dead Space or whatever it would change the gameplay drastically as the players would have the ability to quickly circlestrafe around enemies, easily avoid attacks while firing and etc.

While those games you mentioned are different, they do have great similarities in how you do the general combat. For instance, fighting a grunt in Halo using the assault rifle or fighting an enemy in Bioshock using the tommy gun, you can use the same basic tactics to win both fights. In a game like RE5, the very core mechanics are so different that it makes everything upside down compared to other shooters. You just can't use the same basic tactics, and that helps a lot to make the entire game be unique.

Nikorasu said:
Eh, I think panning the camera with the right stick is just as effective as strafing. I'm really not a stubborn purist or anything, but I do like the original controls. I have used both, and I don't feel like the added movement is all that beneficial.
Same here. I've tried all the control scheme, but I just prefer type a and I've started to rely on the ability to quickly look around and quickly aim in a direction. It also feels like the control scheme the game was designed for. Strafing adds a few oddities which doesn't feel right (like being able to avoid projectiles and the axe guy's vertical attacks so easily they basically become non-existant).

Neiteio said:
And on the topic of "hidden" functionality, you can taunt by holding in both L3 and R3 at the same time, which actually draws enemy attention away from your partner and toward you, allowing you to set up team attacks (the only way to do Chris' Haymaker and Backhand attacks!).
Wow, I didn't know that. I was aware of that hidden taunt but I had no idea it actually had an effect on gameplay. It's bizarre to think I've spent so many hours playing the demo but there's still significant gameplay mechanics in the demo I had missed.

Linkzg said:
As an AI, Sheva is a hassle to put up with. She is even worse than Ashley, who acually wasn't bad at all, since you can't tell her to stay put while you take care of the bad guys. She's always off getting into trouble like getting stuck behind doors, trying to snipe enemies while standing in the middle of the street, or just standing in the middle of the street doing NOTHING waiting to ruin my good streak by getting beheaded.

The demo goes from great to awesome when playing with another player. I don't have the luxury to play the entire campaign with another, in fact, I don't think most gamers do. RE5 should have really studied Gears more to learn how to balance a good single and co-op game.
You mean designing a pure singleplayer game and then add coop capability to it? The AI teammates in Gears are a joke, they might as well be removed and it would have a minor effect on the gameplay. I commend Capcom for designing a coop experience which actually works the same way when playing with a friend and when playing with the AI. Other games has basically cheated in this regard.

If you have trouble playing with the AI, you should remember to play it like a coop game. If she's in trouble, help her out. Be aware of the weapons and ammo she's got available. And remember that if you move she'll move with you (if she's in cover stance), that is VERY important for avoiding enemies.

Rez>You said:
Oh no no no no. Tell Sheva to go into attack mode in the first mission and she'll basically destroy everything around her, she also does a great job of going into the different houses to loot for supplies. You really need to be more mindful of her while she's in attack stance though. You can kinda regard "cover stance" as a mode where she's covering you, and "attack stance" where you have to cover her.

I've got a few examples here how to utilize the attack stance in the second mission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tAEyUs3fU&fmt=22

Hopefully I don't have to play through the full game with Sheva until my 3rd or 4th playthroughs as I definitely want my initial and pro playthroughs to be with a partner. In cover mode she won't die, but she isn't of much use other than an auto heal. Not only that, but taking the time to have to run up to each item and decide who gets it is a waste of time in crucial situations.

In attack mode, she's accurate but isn't particularly smart. I've had her get killed twice by chainsaw guy while in attack mode and kept her in cover mode ever since. She's adequate for the demo, but in the full game when things REALLY start to ramp up your going to want to take advantage of the environment and set up good strats with your partner.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sectus said:
Oh no no no no. Tell Sheva to go into attack mode in the first mission and she'll basically destroy everything around her, she also does a great job of going into the different houses to loot for supplies. You really need to be more mindful of her while she's in attack stance though. You can kinda regard "cover stance" as a mode where she's covering you, and "attack stance" where you have to cover her.

I've got a few examples here how to utilize the attack stance in the second mission: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2tAEyUs3fU&fmt=22
That's actually a pretty good way of looking at it. Nice.

RpgN

Holly! So after playing co-op with my little bro for the millionth time, I noticed something different. On the first level, you usually have bookshelves to move and have many ammo at certain places. This time there were no bookshelves, so no way to block them and there were almost no ammo, the ones we found were in different places. We were kind of both shocked since we learned the usual routine, it was nice how this came unexpectedly. New ways to play an old level and it was fun. We also managed to kill the Hammer man since I wanted him dead :D He dropped something made of gold that looked expensive, full game full game!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RpgN said:
Holly! So after playing co-op with my little bro for the millionth time, I noticed something different. On the first level, you usually have bookshelves to move and have many ammo's at certain places. This time there was no bookshelves, so no way to block them and there were almost no ammo's, the ones we found were in different places. We were kind of both shocked since we learned the usual routine, it was nice how this came unexpectedly. New ways to play an old level and it was fun. We also managed to kill the Hammer man since I wanted him dead :D He dropped something made of gold that looked expensive, full game full game!
Wow, I didn't know this was possible. It sounds like something RE4 would do (make the game easier when you die a lot), but in reverse. :lol

I'm sure most people know this already, but pressing the left trigger (in control type D at least) automatically equips what you have selected in your inventory. Slightly quicker than the normal route at least. I always equip items that I want to give to my partner as it seems quicker to me to do that and then press B.

TheCardPlayer

Likes to have "friends" around to "play cards" with
Now I have I read more previews, my hype is getting back up full time. It seems it's only Eurogamer who were trashing the game. GameSpy's article really convinced me too. This will probably be sweet.

I did also adjust to the controls too. Man, I hate hyped up games, it seems it fucks you all up inside. You hate them, then you love them.

Fuck.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
I've played the demo like 4 times. I hated the controls at first, but eventually got used to them. Game is gonna be awesome and people are being drama queens as usual.

RpgN

Rez>You said:
Wow, I didn't know this was possible. It sounds like something RE4 would do (make the game easier when you die a lot), but in reverse. :lol

yeah, I haven't played RES4 yet (I know shame on me yada yada), I didn't know it existed in reverse :lol Changing from hard to easy is pretty lame though.

About the ammo's location, it was like there were no ammo visible in the house. You find one on a shelf under the tv instead. Or you search through oranges. Outside the house, the ammo were in the same places (not that there were much). But most of the zombies dropped only money instead.

I didn't notice there were more zombies, but according to my little bro there were.

Daigoro

yay. RE5 love thread.

this game will do well despite all the bitching in the the other threads. cant wait for it!

The demo is absolutly spectacular. At first I was put off by the differences from RE4 but after playing it countless times I have learned to appreciate Sheva's AI, one of the best in any game. The demo is so replayable, I have played it for about 13 hours now and I still dont get bored. The controls are just fine, I go with A, the controls fit the game perfectly which is something people seem to not understand. Oh and online co-op is fantastic.

I do not think RE5 will be as good as RE4 though cause it seems RE5 is coping almost everything RE4 did, so there will be deja vu. But coping one of the best games ever is not a bad thing. Bring it on!

Neiteio said:
I guess I've been lucky in regards to my experience with the AI. Putting Sheva in Cover seems to solve just about everything for me. She even heals me, restocks my ammo when I'm low, and so far hasn't needed my help. Granted, I mostly play multiplayer, but I've done enough single-player to consider her effectiveness a reliable trend.

This, Sheva always helps, doesn't get into trouble, doesn't steal my ammo, heals me when I need it, and does a fine job of covering me. ALWAYS keep her in cover mode and she does what you do. She is like a clone, she is an extention of your character.

I have played the demo a so many times and she has died on me I think twice in over 50 tries. In fact i have died more than she has. Its great AI and I now know I wont have an issue playing single player.

I heard people complaining about the offline co-op of having the screens off centered, but when i played on a 4:3 tv on 480P, top screen and bottom screen were centered, so is it only widescreen televisions that do this?

btw, there was some lag in splitscreen, I wonder if it is better in the latest build.

Neiteio

Linkzg said:
Did you try hitting the Assist button (Circle on the PS3)? It calls Sheva so that if she's sniping people from the middle of the street like you described, she'll immediately stop and run over to you. When she's in the thick of a crowd and you want to run away, you can even spam the Assist button and she'll focus on nothing but plowing through the crowd to reach you. Also, you can hold the Assist button and tap a certain direction on the d-pad to put her in Cover mode, where she stays behind you like a shadow, adjusting her position only if an incoming attack necessitates it (i.e. the axeman's swing).

In many ways AI Sheva is more reliable than a human, most notably because she'll put your health and ammo needs before her own. And man, it's awesome to instantly break free of a Majini's stranglehold by hitting Assist.

RandomVince said:
I tend to attack from a distance, or barricade myself in. If that fails, keep moving. In all cases that means I call Sheva as often as necessary, usually as soon as I get to a safer area. She is also great at defending you whilst you are pushing bookshelves into place, for example.
You don't even have to push the cases. If you stand next to them and hit Assist, Sheva will take over and push them for you, allowing you to stockpile ammo while she seals off the windows and doors.

So far, so good. The only real problem I anticipate with Sheva is the Popokari, the gnarly bat-scorpion boss I posted on the last page. Apparently, AI Sheva tends to horde the all-important proximity mines on that boss, forcing you to put yourself in danger by wading through the Inventory to request the bombs from her. But other than that it should be smooth sailing, given what we know.

Rez>You said:
Not true! If used at the right time it's quite useful for thinning out crowds. I've had some luck with the command at the beginning of Public Assembly, before the gate crashes down. She runs up to the fencing and starts picking off the incoming baddies one by one, leaving less to mess with on the ground. And in Shanty Town she was all over the place when in Attack mode, sniping people I was fighting with from the opposite side of the map. It's useful if you want to quickly clear out enemies spread across a wide area, but as with everything in RE5 there's a risk/reward dynamic, and here it's that she might not be nearby to save you if you're grabbed or dying (or vice-versa). Hence, I usually stick with Cover.

Rez>You said:
I can't wait to fight these guys:

mcpsnc.jpg

2u5vmm8.jpg
Epic. Absolutely epic. I believe the sea monster is
the transformation of the arms dealer Ricardo Irving, the boss of Chapter 3
, from what I've read in previews and all. Also, both of these GIFs prove to me the game will be full of genuine horror. The sea monster is enough to make Cthulhu green with envy (erm, well greener). H.P. Lovecraft, eat your heart out!

RandomVince said:
Awesome! I'll have to try that. It's always satisfying to defeat that guy, especially after he sealed the informant's fate.

Man, the attention to detail in this game is amazing. So we know you can draw enemies away from your partner with the taunt, and lessen the number of Majini by targeting the orator. You can shoot down power transformers to shock nearby enemies, and set trails of oil ablaze by firing at oil drums. And did anyone notice, at the very beginning of Public Assembly before you enter the building, how off in the distance you can see tattered pieces of parchment flying about on the breeze? Such details really bring Kijuju to life.

Fun fact! "Majini" is Swahili for "evil spirit."

AKS

I can't wait for RE5! I'll be getting the PS3 version because it is similarly awesome to the 360 version (which I've played a few dozen times), and I have more RE4 fans on my PSN friends list. I also want a good co-op game for my PS3, and this definitely qualifies. I bought RE4 3x, so there is a possibility that I could even go survival horror crazy and buy both versions.

Yagharek

In response to Neiteio, I did know you can command Sheva to move the barricades, but she seems capable enough in kepping zombies at bay I am happy to go move the shelves as it is. Saves a little bit of time in any case :)

One other thing I learnt, that is obvious but handy - in the first demo level there are small fuel cans in stacks lying in 2 or 3 places. They dont explode when you shoot them, but they do set enemies alight if nearby, and they stun the axeman. Just dont do what I did and run through the flames to try and punch him :lol

TheBlackQueen

Neo Member
I've been reading through Dan Birlew's AMAZING plot analysis of the entire RE series and its getting me more and more hyped. Oddly enough, more then anything, I'm looking forward to the story.

Baloonatic said:
I'm sure most people know this already, but pressing the left trigger (in control type D at least) automatically equips what you have selected in your inventory. Slightly quicker than the normal route at least. I always equip items that I want to give to my partner as it seems quicker to me to do that and then press B.

jjv9dj.gif

Holy SHITTTTTTTTTT.

I didn't have a problem with the default control option that is at ready when you start the demo but it sounds like I need to give that a shot.

kaskade

I was actually a little down on it when I first played it but once I got the controls down again I was fine, and I loved it. I was listening to Rebel FM and they were saying that the demo is not a good showcase for what the game actually is and that it's gets way more fun. I've pretty much got the demo levels down to a science now.

Neiteio

RandomVince said:
In response to Neiteio, I did know you can command Sheva to move the barricades, but she seems capable enough in kepping zombies at bay I am happy to go move the shelves as it is. Saves a little bit of time in any case :)

One other thing I learnt, that is obvious but handy - in the first demo level there are small fuel cans in stacks lying in 2 or 3 places. They dont explode when you shoot them, but they do set enemies alight if nearby, and they stun the axeman. Just dont do what I did and run through the flames to try and punch him :lol
Yeah, sometimes it's fun to simply push the shelves yourself. I hope we'll find some ladders to kick down as well. 'Twas addicting in RE4!

Also, the stack of oil drums near the back of Public Assembly has a trail of oil running from it to the fruit stand. Setting the oil ablaze effectively creates a wall of fire. Suffice it to say, there's strategic potential here.

TheBlackQueen said:
I've been reading through Dan Birlew's AMAZING plot analysis of the entire RE series and its getting me more and more hyped. Oddly enough, more then anything, I'm looking forward to the story.
Please link me to this plot analysis!

Varna

This kind of sucks... seems like if both players are in 'dying' status you can't do anything but watch each other die. :(

Sectus

Baloonatic said:
*screams* I can't believe there's so many things I wasn't aware of. I give items to my partner all the time and this makes that process much much faster.

Neiteio

Varna said:
This kind of sucks... seems like if both players are in 'dying' status you can't do anything but watch each other die. :(
At what point do you hit Dying status anyway? It seems to occur only after suffering one BIG hit, like a blow from the axeman. Do you go into Dying mode if your health is whittled down enough by small, regular attacks? I recall one time I had a sliver of HP but was only clutching my hip, as opposed to staggering about dying. I wonder how it works.

Now check this out: All 51 trophies for RE5 (PS3), with icons and descriptions. It confirms a number of things:

LEVEL PROGRESSION (16 stages): 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.

Masters of Removing: "Work together to save someone special," aka
Jill is the bird-masked woman; remove the plaga from the Master of Unlocking

Also, action figures are confirmed (remember RE4's shooting galleries?), as are collectible BSAA emblems, new costumes, four types of eggs (with one trophy for killing a Majini with a rotten egg), stun rods, gatling guns, longbows, and four difficulty levels -- amateur, normal, veteran and professional.

You even get a trophy for deflecting an arrow with your knife! :lol

Neiteio said:
Please link me to this plot analysis!

Kiss you day goodbye :) I've read this great document as it was written over a period of god, 5+ years when it was Dan and then when it became Thomas Wilde. It's a great way to pass class time. Hell, print it out and get it bound at kinkos for five bucks. It's well worth it. I wish Tom would update it (Umbrella Chronicles and such) or pass it on to someone else.
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/file/resident_evil_plot.txt

Rez>You said:
Wait... You can change Sheva's AI to go into attack and cover modes? Huh... I never knew hat, and I've played the demo for around 5 or 6 hours already. I also didn't know about the taunts.

Neiteio said:
At what point do you hit Dying status anyway? It seems to occur only after suffering one BIG hit, like a blow from the axeman. Do you go into Dying mode if your health is whittled down enough by small, regular attacks? I recall one time I had a sliver of HP but was only clutching my hip, as opposed to staggering about dying. I wonder how it works.

Now check this out: All 51 trophies for RE5 (PS3), with icons and descriptions. It confirms a number of things:

LEVEL PROGRESSION (16 stages): 1-1, 1-2, 2-1, 2-2, 2-3, 3-1, 3-2, 3-3, 4-1, 4-2, 5-1, 5-2, 5-3, 6-1, 6-2, 6-3.

Also, action figures are confirmed (remember RE4's shooting galleries?), as are collectible BSAA emblems, new costumes, four types of eggs (with one trophy for killing a Majini with a rotten egg), stun rods, gatling guns, longbows, and four difficulty levels -- amateur, normal, veteran and professional.

Can't wait. This is going to be the first game where I will actually try to get all the achievements.

I can't wait to see Jill in this game. I wonder if she'll be all buff like Chris.

Watched all the trailers, playing through the entire RE series and still playing the demo. My anticipation could not be higher, I need this game NOW!!!

The demo is so spectacular, I cant get enough of it. Demo of the year for sure.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Neiteio said:

I think I read somewhere that each chapter had 3 to 4 sections a piece, but it might've been wrong.

Colocho

Banned
I still can't get the hang of the "real-time weapon change", sometimes I'll accidentaly give my shotgun away just from the pressure of having zombies around me.

Anyway, I prefer type D controls as I like the extra movibility it gives you even if it's not that useful and I prefer my shooting on the shoulder buttons nowadays.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Colocho said:
I still can't get the hang of the "real-time weapon change", sometimes I'll accidentaly give my shotgun away just from the pressure of having zombies around me.

Anyway, I prefer type D controls as I like the extra movibility it gives you even if it's not that useful and I prefer my shooting on the shoulder buttons nowadays.
You can do the following:

-When you press "X/Square" in the inventory, you can highlight a weapon and move it into whichever spot in the 3x3 grid you wish, by pressing the X/Sqaue button again on the spot you wish to move it to, this is important because...

- The items in the top, left, right and bottom spots of the inventory can be auto-selected with the d-pad.

-If you are out of quick change d-pad spots, pressing the ready weapon button in the inventory (L in Type B/D and R in type A/C) and you will equip the weapon, and skip the "Use/Equip/Give/Discard" sub-menu. When you press "Triangle/Y" your cursor in the inventory always defaults to the middle, so put something useful in the middle spot.

-Knowing all of this, you can easily choose any weapon in your inventory by using the d-pad, or pressing "Y/Triangle" then the direction the item is in with the stick (centre, up, down, right, left, top-right, top-left, bottom-left, bottom-right) and then the ready weapon button for quick changing of items.

-If you equip ammo/health item, and walk to your partner, you can press B/Circle to give it to them, which makes giving ammo in the heat of battle much easier.

-If you use a healing item, and your partner is in range, you both get healed. Herbs can be equipped, and then used with the X/Square button. If the prompt says "Heal Partner", remember that it will also heal you.

Hope this helps. The inventory system works is much smoother when you understand the intricacies. :D

Kak.efes

Gameplay is a little too constrictive for my liking. Is this how all RE games play like? RE2 was the last one I played, and that was years, and years ago.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Kak.efes said:
Gameplay is a little too constrictive for my liking. Is this how all RE games play like? RE2 was the last one I played, and that was years, and years ago.
Pretty much. Pre-RE4 everything was actually even harder thanks to a "worst" aiming system and a fixed camera perspective.

The game isn't for everyone, but hey, you might want to give it a rent or something, a lot of what made RE4 (the game RE5 is most similar to) great was the way it was paced, and the way it mixed up the gameplay, while sticking to the base mechanics, which isn't really something a demo can relate to a player. ;)

Colocho

Banned
Rez>You said:
You can do the following:

-When you press "X/Square" in the inventory, you can highlight a weapon and move it into whichever spot in the 3x3 grid you wish, by pressing the X/Sqaue button again on the spot you wish to move it to, this is important because...

- The items in the top, left, right and bottom spots of the inventory can be auto-selected with the d-pad.

-If you are out of quick change d-pad spots, pressing the ready weapon button in the inventory (L in Type B/D and R in type A/C) and you will equip the weapon, and skip the "Use/Equip/Give/Discard" sub-menu. When you press "Triangle/Y" your cursor in the inventory always defaults to the middle, so put something useful in the middle spot.

-Knowing all of this, you can easily choose any weapon in your inventory by using the d-pad, or pressing "Y/Triangle" then the direction the item is in with the stick (centre, up, down, right, left, top-right, top-left, bottom-left, bottom-right) and then the ready weapon button for quick changing of items.

-If you equip ammo/health item, and walk to your partner, you can press B/Circle to give it to them, which makes giving ammo in the heat of battle much easier.

-If you use a healing item, and your partner is in range, you both get healed. Herbs can be equipped, and then used with the X/Square button. If the prompt says "Heal Partner", remember that it will also heal you.

Hope this helps. The inventory system works is much smoother when you understand the intricacies. :D
Holy shit! that sounds MUCH more intuitive than what I was doing (good ol' picking out everything from the triangle menu) I'll give this a try tomorrow, I'm pretty sure I'm gonna like the game much much more.

Thanks a bunch!

Top Bottom