• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More pumped for RE5 than Chris Redfield's pythons

Neiteio said:
I'm happy for you that you have a girl who's not only into Resident Evil, but can wrap her mind around how to play it. I'll be playing it on and off with my bros in splitscreen, and I hope GAF will be up to start some co-op playthroughs. Teamwork is fun!

Be careful, though. The Wii controls will spoil you veeery quickly.

Agreed. The controls serve the game well. In appearance the game may be more Rambo than Night of the Living Dead, but there is still a persistent tenseness, one of the tenets of terror. This tenseness is predicated on vulnerability, which in turn is the result of having to watch your back, your proximity to others, your reload times and an everchanging battlefield. No amount of skill will ever relieve you of having to keep moving, as you'll have to physically quick-turn to check your rear, and yet you can't shoot while moving, which creates a risk/reward dynamic: do I stay and fight and possibly get mauled, or do I run and let the threat grow but afford myself more breathing room? The game is scarier for it.

And bright daylit African setting be damned, the game is still HORROR. People like to say it isn't, but there's still plenty of unsettling creepiness in this game. Some of the Majini look downright bloodthirsty, and the sense of death and decay packed into every maggot-infested carcass and bloodstained wall is palpable. Sometimes the "horror" aspect is more the flavor of the setting than the functional jumpscares, but it's still there, the sense that you're on the brink of hell. I imagine this will become more apparent later in the game when day turns to dusk.

I could've sworn I saw my brother do a context-sensitive evade move. Anyone else notice this? For the most part the game keeps you psychologically on edge by keeping you vulnerable, but I wouldn't be surprised if some quick dodges were in there...
Yeah she does great most times but other times (like 30 min ago when we last played) she sat back and watched me get gangbanged by zombies :lol her issue isn't with the controls either once i told her not to play it like an action game and what key spots to aim at.

Pojo

Banned
Yay, a thread that gives the game the credit it deserves instead of the bashing by the vocal minority. It doesn't really need to be done since it'll sell millions and be critically acclaimed by almost anyone capable of reason, but it's refreshing nonetheless.

You know what GAFs problem is? Games must fit a very specific mold or else they are complete failures. I played RE5 with a few friends and they didn't say a word about the controls. They adapted and we had a blast blowing away chainsaw people in co-op. And the best part is, they're all looking forward to the game now despite having no previous exposure or interest in the franchise.

Majmun

The game is a joke when you play it alone. Sheva is a retarded cow.

But when you play it with a friend, it's AWESOME.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Oh, I'm totally hyped. I can't believe people sling around the term "Resident Evil 4.5" as if it's a bad thing.

Yeah, I love the demo. I can hardly wait for the game! I've played the demo for hours and hours; I just can't get enough of it! The online cp-op is so fun... I'm literally going to crap everywhere and eat it when I can finally play the entire game over Xbox LIVE.

On a side note: In Public Assembly, if you don't like your partner, tell him to jump out the window (while you're both already in the house) so you can "do something cool", then board up the window and door so he can't get back in. Then just watch and laugh as they are stuck fighting all those enemies by themself while you're safe in the house. It's even funnier when they try to get back in through the door, not realizing it's blocked.

MrOctober

Banned
I absolutely loved the demo. I play with whatever controls are the ones exactly like RE4's because those totally rule. RE4 is one of the greatest games I've ever played in my life.

My only complaint is that I wish I didn't have to play with the computer. I feel like co-op game play is ruining the single player experience. I appreciate co-op game play as a secondary feature in the game itself but this game is now designed around it and cannot be play alone. So you either play with a person or play with a stupid computer character. Neither situation is always ideal. The computer will never be smart enough to do what you want all the time and if you play with strangers sometimes they will be way better than you forcing you to play a way you arn't comfortable with or way worse than you and just slow you down and waste your time. I wish there was some middle ground where you could play the game alone but still have a co-op that was good enough to warrant it actually being in the game.

Core407

Banned
Neiteio said:
I'm happy for you that you have a girl who's not only into Resident Evil, but can wrap her mind around how to play it. I'll be playing it on and off with my bros in splitscreen, and I hope GAF will be up to start some co-op playthroughs. Teamwork is fun!

Be careful, though. The Wii controls will spoil you veeery quickly.

Agreed. The controls serve the game well. In appearance the game may be more Rambo than Night of the Living Dead, but there is still a persistent tenseness, one of the tenets of terror. This tenseness is predicated on vulnerability, which in turn is the result of having to watch your back, your proximity to others, your reload times and an everchanging battlefield. No amount of skill will ever relieve you of having to keep moving, as you'll have to physically quick-turn to check your rear, and yet you can't shoot while moving, which creates a risk/reward dynamic: do I stay and fight and possibly get mauled, or do I run and let the threat grow but afford myself more breathing room? The game is scarier for it.

And bright daylit African setting be damned, the game is still HORROR. People like to say it isn't, but there's still plenty of unsettling creepiness in this game. Some of the Majini look downright bloodthirsty, and the sense of death and decay packed into every maggot-infested carcass and bloodstained wall is palpable. Sometimes the "horror" aspect is more the flavor of the setting than the functional jumpscares, but it's still there, the sense that you're on the brink of hell. I imagine this will become more apparent later in the game when day turns to dusk.

I could've sworn I saw my brother do a context-sensitive evade move. Anyone else notice this? For the most part the game keeps you psychologically on edge by keeping you vulnerable, but I wouldn't be surprised if some quick dodges were in there...

Yeah, I thought I remember seeing some evades in old videos.

Dever

Banned
It's way awesome. I don't know if I'll buy it though, too many games coming out at that time! RE5, Killzone 2 and Madworld...

Out of all the games I've pre-ordered (Resident Evil 5, House of the Dead: Overkill, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Street Fighter IV and Killzone 2), I think this is the game I'm most excited for after the demo. Too bad it's coming out last :(

Red Blaster said:
I'll concede that it's pert good, but only when using Type A controls. Type D is :lol

Type D controls broke my brain. I tried it for a few minutes and immediately went back to the default setup. :/

USD

Red Blaster said:
I'll concede that it's pert good, but only when using Type A controls. Type D is :lol
I don't understand this. The only real difference between Type A and D is that with A you can shift the viewpoint and with D you can strafe. Otherwise it's the same ability set assigned to different buttons. There is no dramatic shift in control, unless you're way better at aiming with the left stick than you are with the right or vice versa.

ashism said:
A demo is free, so everyone has room to hate the shit out of it. Once the final version comes out, only those who know what to expect are going to pick it up and post about it. Vocal minority will settle down and move on to the next free demo to freak out on.

I hope you're right, but the vocal minority seems to have infinite funds and free time and tolerance to play games they don't like.... they can sure make it hard to talk about Resistance 2 and Grand Theft Auto 4!

Mardil

The demo is amazing!!!!! I've played it so many times!

Here's something I found: As Chris, drop everything in your inventory. The run, and look at his animation... he runs like a freaking ape!

Mardil said:
The demo is amazing!!!!! I've played it so many times!

Here's something I found: As Chris, drop everything in your inventory. The run, and look at his animation... he runs like a freaking ape!

What the hell? :lol

Anyway, I want to know what the blue medal you can shoot in Shanty Town does in the full game. This is my most anticipated game in a long time.

careksims

I am a BELIEVER! Count me in! I am pumped!

Me and a friend played the PS3 demo and at first we were really complaining about the controls but we stuck with it. It just clicked!

Used Type B controls and aim sensitivity way up. Perfect for me.

Co-op is only way to go! :D

PowderedToast

I had an absolute blast with it in co-op. I'm picking it up instead of Killzone 2 actually, which is funny considering I wasn't even remotely considering buying it until I played the demo. Now I can't wait.

Erebus

I played the hell out of the demo and now I'm looking forward to the game's release.

It's brilliant, especially the co-op mode makes it one of the most entertaining games I've played in the past few years. Screw the haters.:D

Threi

notag
So...i'm the only one that thinks Type D + Fastest aim speed is the best?

Poor me, I like the shittiest of the shitty control schemes :(

Erebus

Threi said:

No, actually that's how I play as well.

USD

Threi said:

That's how I play. Fastest is the only way to play the game. It's funny, RE5's fastest aiming speed is only as fast as RE4's default (and only) speed.

VaLiancY

Then it was "I hate the controls" vs. "The controls are fine", Now its "Type A" vs. "Type D"

You Type A fans shall be my demise, Type D forever.:D

Aske

Am I the only person that uses Type C controls? Classic RE 4, but with the ability to strafe.

I hate Sheva, and I'll be stuck with her AI because I have no interest in co-op (I like playing adventure games alone at my own pace) but I still love the demo and I know I will love RE 5. Sheva is the only significant negative in an otherwise exquisite game. Sure, I'd have liked to have seen more gameplay innovation than strafing and babysitting. But RE 4.5 with even better scenario design - less linear gameplay and more village-style strategic battlegrounds - will definitely scratch my post RE 4 itch. No other game has come close. I'm pumped.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Threi said:

Exactly how I play it and it feels great.

Pojo

Banned
Yeah, I'm using type A as well. Something still doesn't feel quite right when compared to the GC controls, I can't figure it out. I think it might be how Chris has to physically pick up items this time. I didn't like the confirmation screen in the GC version, but things still went faster if you just jammed A and accepted the item.

Actually, that and the real-time inventory are giving me minor problems. Go figure, the two stupidest design choices in RE4 actually grew on me. :\

Baraka in the White House

2-Terms of Kombat
Rash said:
Wow, another RE5 thread.

This time, it's for RE5-loving circle-jerkers who felt insecure due to the skeptics in the other threads.

k2zqc2.jpg

Type A still feels retarded to me. I hate taking corners and making small movements around the tight environments with the tank controls. I don't see any cons to having more mobility via type D.

jax (old)

Banned
Can't wait for the game myself. Loved the demo and I think the final product will rock! Hope Umbrella shows up at some point in time but even if not ... :)

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray for RE5 love threads!

My most anticipated game in quite a while. I really enjoyed the demo, and the full game looks to be even better. :D

And no, you can't strafe while shooting, but you can strafe while walking.

Neiteio

I've been busy with homework today (yaaay, Saturday!), but later tonight I hope to boot up the demo and give Type D another shot. I tried it briefly once and dismissed it because I couldn't figure out how to run; since you move forward and back with the left stick and turn with the right, I couldn't press X while moving. But now I know I can push in the left stick to run. I'll have to try it again and see if the addition of strafing ups my game. Sounds like it'll be Warhawk-style controls, but with stop 'n pop and FEAR-style sprinting.

I remember some people hacked the 360 demo and found leftover code revealing content later in the game. Who were the Mercenaries characters again? I remember
Chris, Sheva, Jill and Wesker
. Anyone else? Man, I can't wait for the inevitable (confirmed?) Mercenaries Mode. I honestly would've paid full price for that portion of RE4 alone.

I'm still blown away by how awesome the RE4-style gameplay is. Is anyone here trying this gameplay for the first time? Is RE5 the first RE4-style game they've played (as in, they didn't play RE4 before playing this demo)? I'd like to hear your impressions!

Dark FaZe said:
Sounds good, but I doubt it'll be apart of the in game track. Besides that, the song prior to that reminded me so much of Gears which is NOT welcome in my RE.

I recall reading that it was stock music. Still besides Resident Evil 3, I don't like that much besides isolated tracks in the series. Then again horror music can sometimes be hard to fully enjoy out of its context.

Type D is my fav, I even programed it into RE3 for the PC using my PS3 controller.

I love the RE5 demo. I chose control scheme A since I recently played RE4 on the PS2. There are slight changes from 4, but it's only with two buttons. The game looks great, though.

Rash said:
Wow, another RE5 thread.

This time, it's for RE5-loving circle-jerkers who felt insecure due to the skeptics in the other threads.
RE5-gtfo2.gif

~Devil Trigger~ said:
resident-evil-5-20070726113929571_6.jpg

I've been playing with the control D set-up, feels like almost the standard control set-ups for most third person controls in terms of movement, strafing, and camera. D control set-up is only a half step away from moving and aiming at the same time....dammit, so close!

Top Bottom