• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More pumped for RE5 than Chris Redfield's pythons

kuYuri

USD said:
I still don't get this? What flaw does D have that A doesn't?

I'm not saying that Type A isn't flawed. Just I'm used to it since I've been playing RE games since RE1.

The problem I have with Type D is minor for the most part. Since Capcom wanted to "westernize" the controls, I figured they would go all the way. But they still chose to have a run button rather than have movement speed based on how much you push on the stick. In the heat of battle, it's annoying having to constantly move my thumb from the A button and the right stick, it feels just as awkward for me.

USD

Strider2K99 said:
I'm not saying that Type A isn't flawed. Just I'm used to it since I've been playing RE games since RE1.

The problem I have with Type D is minor for the most part. Since Capcom wanted to "westernize" the controls, I figured they would go all the way. But they still chose to have a run button rather than have movement speed based on how much you push on the stick. In the heat of battle, it's annoying having to constantly move my thumb from the A button and the right stick, it feels just as awkward for me.
If you click in the left stick, you can run COD-style, steering with the right stick.

Erebus

I don't see the point of the D vs A conversation. Seriously, Capcom just made sure they include enough configurations so that people find the one that better suits them. It's a matter of taste, there is no such a thing as "Type A is better than Type D" as far as I'm concerned.

Truant

The added control options are like spiders to the fanboys. Just knowing that there is one in the room is enough to make them crazy.

Neiteio

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I recall reading that it was stock music. Still besides Resident Evil 3, I don't like that much besides isolated tracks in the series. Then again horror music can sometimes be hard to fully enjoy out of its context.
Where'd you hear that? Stylistically the music sounds very similar to other pieces in the trailers, pieces that are in-game and even in the demo. I'd be very curious to see where it was said that the piece from the end of the first TGS trailer is stock music (by "stock" I take it you mean music licensed out for use in trailers, as is often the practice in movies).

Can't wait to play more of this tonight!

Nikorasu

revolverjgw said:
Seriously. It adds more mobility, and subtracts... nothing.

It's mobility you don't need. It really doesn't benefit the game in any way whatsoever other than to make dead space fans feel more comfortable.

But yeah, anyway. I admit the series is taking a direction I would rather it didn't with regards to a few things, but that doesn't stop me from being SUPER FUCKING PUMPED. Jesus I came buckets when I saw el gigante is back. The demo is ridiculously addicting. I'm really anxious to find out wtf is going on with Jill. And I don't find Chris' monstrous arms all that off-putting. I mean it's been 10 years since the first outbreak and things only get worse, so you'd think he'd wanna bulk himself up a bit.

I wish there was a definitive date for the pc version though. I really don't want to double dip but if it's a long way off I guess I'll have to. :(

DarkUSS said:
I don't see the point of the D vs A conversation. Seriously, Capcom just made sure they include enough configurations so that people find the one that better suits them. It's a matter of taste, there is no such a thing as "Type A is better than Type D" as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly. It doesn't make the game easier or change the way it plays at all. It's purely a comfort thing. Type A is the intended control scheme though. D is merely a concession.

Neiteio

Nikorasu said:
But yeah, anyway. I admit the series is taking a direction I would rather it didn't with regards to a few things, but that doesn't stop me from being SUPER FUCKING PUMPED. Jesus I came buckets when I saw el gigante is back.
Don't you just love El Gigante? He's like an old friend. And the one you battle in RE5 appears to be
an on-rails jeep chase
, one where the trollish monster is
bearded and wears a loincloth made of corpses
!

The demo is ridiculously addicting. I'm really anxious to find out wtf is going on with Jill. And I don't find Chris' monstrous arms all that off-putting. I mean it's been 10 years since the first outbreak and things only get worse, so you'd think he'd wanna bulk himself up a bit.
Yeah, I actually love Chris' design. He's hulking, yes, but he's streamlined, too. What I mean is that all of his "lines" -- his clothes, accessories, et al -- trace his body in a way pleasing to the eye (aesthetically, not sexually -- not that there's anything wrong with that!). This, coupled with a warm color scheme, the game's brilliant facial features and a decidedly non-deuchy personality, make him a winner in my book.

I wish there was a definitive date for the pc version though. I really don't want to double dip but if it's a long way off I guess I'll have to. :(
This would probably be one game that's safe to double-dip on, because each version will have its own online audience to try out, and the console version will get you your kicks now while the PC one will be worth trying later for patches and potentially improved presentation and controls (a Wiimote patch, anyone?).

Nikorasu said:
It's mobility you don't need.

I love it, it makes negotiating corners easier, and it makes it easier to get around in extremely tight, messy spaces because I don't have to waste a split second rotating on my tank treads.

Nikorasu said:
It's mobility you don't need. It really doesn't benefit the game in any way whatsoever other than to make dead space fans feel more comfortable.

But yeah, anyway. I admit the series is taking a direction I would rather it didn't with regards to a few things, but that doesn't stop me from being SUPER FUCKING PUMPED. Jesus I came buckets when I saw el gigante is back. The demo is ridiculously addicting. I'm really anxious to find out wtf is going on with Jill. And I don't find Chris' monstrous arms all that off-putting. I mean it's been 10 years since the first outbreak and things only get worse, so you'd think he'd wanna bulk himself up a bit.

Exactly. It doesn't make the game easier or change the way it plays at all. It's purely a comfort thing. Type A is the intended control scheme though. D is merely a concession.

The ability of having two independent control in regards to strafing movement and camera control is not exclusive to Dead Space, it's Dead Space that conformed to the standards that's like a decade old in many third/first person shooter games. It's Capcom that finally caught up. Only problem is Capcom purposely choose to gimp the controls with shooting and movement.

Truant

Nikorasu said:

Knowing Capcom, they'll probably port it to PS2 just so they can port that to PC.

Neiteio

I wonder if Chris and Sheva will have a romantic angle to their relationship, implied or explicit. I raise the question because I bet the majority of co-op pairs will be male, and that could make for some "interesting" cutscenes that'll have dudes spamming the Select button lest they become implicated in a hot sweaty bromance.

(Bromances are reserved for Joe Biden and Patrick Swayze).

Neiteio said:
I wonder if Chris and Sheva will have a romantic angle to their relationship, implied or explicit. I raise the question because I bet the majority of co-op pairs will be male, and that could make for some "interesting" cutscenes that'll have dudes spamming the Select button lest they become implicated in a hot sweaty bromance.

(Bromances are reserved for Joe Biden and Patrick Swayze).

Has an interracial couple ever made out in a videogame?

Snake was half-Japanese when he made out with Otacon, not sure if that counts.

Ganondorfo

I fucking hate the co-op (it's awesome if you play it with a friend, BUT NOT WHEN YOU LIKE TO PLAY BY YOURSELF)

Why couldn't capcom make a chris redfield scenario and a sheva scenario (just like resident evil 2).

kuYuri

revolverjgw said:

What version of MGS did you play? :lol

revolverjgw said:

SnakeWTF.jpg

Rolf NB

The only thing I find weird about the controls is the absence of full layout customization. You can remap every single button in Devil May Cry 4, so you'd think they could just transplant that functionality.

Neiteio

Ganondorfo said:
I fucking hate the co-op (it's awesome if you play it with a friend, BUT NOT WHEN YOU LIKE TO PLAY BY YOURSELF)

Why couldn't capcom make a chris redfield scenario and a sheva scenario (just like resident evil 2).
I guess I've been lucky in regards to my experience with the AI. Putting Sheva in Cover seems to solve just about everything for me. She even heals me, restocks my ammo when I'm low, and so far hasn't needed my help. Granted, I mostly play multiplayer, but I've done enough single-player to consider her effectiveness a reliable trend.

For RE6, we need a Chris/Leon team. Or a Chris/Leon/Barry trio. :D

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Strider2K99 said:
What version of MGS did you play? :lol

:lol :lol

seriously. That one came outta left field.

Anyway... does anyone else wish the control D was slightly different...

have knife attack as L2+Square button... It would just be more intuitive that way for some reason. Plus you're on target to mash the physical attack button when it comes up.

NameIess

Crayon Shinchan said:
:lol :lol

seriously. That one came outta left field.

Anyway... does anyone else wish the control D was slightly different...

have knife attack as L2+Square button... It would just be more intuitive that way for some reason. Plus you're on target to mash the physical attack button when it comes up.

Good idea...

I just played the demo for the 25th time so I'm ready to go...
It's good that SFIV & KZ2 will keep me more than busy before this game is released.

Rolf NB

Neiteio said:
I guess I've been lucky in regards to my experience with the AI. Putting Sheva in Cover seems to solve just about everything for me. She even heals me, restocks my ammo when I'm low, and so far hasn't needed my help. Granted, I mostly play multiplayer, but I've done enough single-player to consider her effectiveness a reliable trend.

For RE6, we need a Chris/Leon team. Or a Chris/Leon/Barry trio. :D
"We don't know where Sheva is".

USD

Strider2K99 said:

I know I already replied once, but you can also use Type C controls, which uses Types A general button configuration (shoot with X/[ ], run with A/X) but uses Type D's stick configuration (with the ability to strafe).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This "Type A vs Type D" thing is nonsense, especially when Type C is the best control setup, by far.

Nikorasu

HomerSimpson-Man said:
The ability of having two independent control in regards to strafing movement and camera control is not exclusive to Dead Space, it's Dead Space that conformed to the standards that's like a decade old in many third/first person shooter games. It's Capcom that finally caught up. Only problem is Capcom purposely choose to gimp the controls with shooting and movement.

I'm sorry, but I just don't jive with the idea that genres have to comply to certain 'standards' to be considered acceptable, especially when it regards controls. All games have rules that are balanced within the game's mechanics. If it had bad controls then they would artificially make the game frustrating and cause unavoidable loss due to glitches or unresponsiveness. RE has never had that problem. The series has always been perfectly balanced and very fair, meticulously designed around the way you are able to maneuver your character. Games do different things. The best ones are those that don't conform to every little norm just for the sake of universal acceptance. Dead space did well, but it took no chances. It didn't try to be even the slightest bit unique and that I think kept it from real recognition. I don't want to play another dead space. Honestly, that game bored me silly. I respect it's intentions and what it did it did exceptionally well, but it's very different from the kind of experience the RE series is going for. This is why the idea that a control scheme can be 'outdated' and 'archaic' drives me nuts, how can it be outdated if we've had games where you can run, strafe, and shoot since before wolfenstein 3d? You're free to not like the controls, but for god's sake stop calling them old.

Truant said:
Knowing Capcom, they'll probably port it to PS2 just so they can port that to PC.

Well, to be fair that was before we had the mighty framework engine. :)
I'm still convinced that RE4 was a horrendous oversight and no one really realized what kind of mistake they were making until it was too late. At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night. :(
The sourcenext remakes of RE2 and 3 were wonderful.

revolverjgw said:

33yhz09.gif

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Neiteio said:
*snip

What's with the Japanese and bat-scorpions anyway?

Hmm, not sure. I think it has to do with Japanese mythology.. wasn't there one of those things in Okami? I think Otogi had them too.

Rpgmonkey

The A.I. seems manageable enough (oddly, the only times I got game over was Chris' death, and not because of her either), but I have a strong feeling I'm going to play through the majority of the game in co-op.

Aske said:
Am I the only person that uses Type C controls? Classic RE 4, but with the ability to strafe.

What I use and also the reason why I like it.

Nikorasu said:
I'm sorry, but I just don't jive with the idea that genres have to comply to certain 'standards' to be considered acceptable, especially when it regards controls. All games have rules that are balanced within the game's mechanics. If it had bad controls then they would artificially make the game frustrating and cause unavoidable loss due to glitches or unresponsiveness. RE has never had that problem. The series has always been perfectly balanced and very fair, meticulously designed around the way you are able to maneuver your character. Games do different things. The best ones are those that don't conform to every little norm just for the sake of universal acceptance. Dead space did well, but it took no chances. It didn't try to be even the slightest bit unique and that I think kept it from real recognition. I don't want to play another dead space. Honestly, that game bored me silly. I respect it's intentions and what it did it did exceptionally well, but it's very different from the kind of experience the RE series is going for. This is why the idea that a control scheme can be 'outdated' and 'archaic' drives me nuts, how can it be outdated if we've had games where you can run, strafe, and shoot since before wolfenstein 3d? You're free to not like the controls, but for god's sake stop calling them old.

Well, to be fair that was before we had the mighty framework engine. :)
I'm still convinced that RE4 was a horrendous oversight and no one really realized what kind of mistake they were making until it was too late. At least that's what I tell myself so I can sleep at night. :(
The sourcenext remakes of RE2 and 3 were wonderful.

33yhz09.gif

RE4 was hit with similar complaints of cumbersome controls.

It's been 4 years since RE4 and it's been over a decade it's the another variation of the tank-controls yet again for the RE series. Capcom doesn't have much of an excuse anymore why they stick to such an archaic control scheme that's more detrimental than it really should. It's even more of a mind blogger the fact the game has increased it's approach towards a style of gameplay that works far better with another control scheme, especially proven ones.

That isn't really an experience, it's a detriment of play mechanics. The scenarios that Capcom with the gameplay is great, now that's an experience, the controls we just tolerate and get used to. It's just one design decision holding it back of all things.

Dead Space, Halo, Metal Gear Solid 4, Call of Duty, Bioshock. All using variations of useful and well proven shooter control mechanics and yet all are different game experiences.

Being different for the sake of different isn't a good reason, which makes it even sadder are that the controls are literally only like half-step away from being so much better. Refining the mechanics to ones that suit it is important, but for the sake of "intensity" Capcom locks you down, in a third person action shooter no less.

vehn

have they said anything about how online co-op and things like the amount of money / guns unlocked will work? Like if I'm playing with a friend and then he has to leave and I'll want to play with someone else, will all the money carry over and things like that? RE games have always been a little RPG-ish with the weapons you can upgrade, don't quite know how that will work between different games with different people

fernoca

Count me on the love camp..also count me on the Type D Defense Force; though I had no problems with any set-up..but to me, Type D with max. sensitivity feels more natural.

Can't wait!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can't wait to fight these guys:
2u5vmm8.jpg

mcpsnc.jpg

Knowing that knowing stuff as incredible as this is only from somewhere between a third to half of the way through the game is just amazing.

This game is going to be amazing. Offline co-op is the only way to go. Half the people on PSN don't play with headsets, so you don't know wtf is going on. Demo put this game on the radar for me. Sucks that I won't be able to buy till later b/c of two other immediate purchases, but I will definitely rent and finish, and buy it down the road.

Awesome, awesome game. And those gifs look deadly.

Yagharek

I wasnt too impressed with the idea of AI co-op partner when I first heard about it, but based on the demo impressions I say they seem to have made it work and work well. Sheva does an awesome job of providing backup, and she isnt braindead. I have played the demo a few dozen times and not once has she been responsible for a game-over.

I am a member of the Type-A defence force, I think RE4 controls were ace as they were, and RE5 is no different. Thankfully we have dpad for quick weapon/item change though, as a real time inventory needs to be exceedingly accessible in a game with so many enemies.

I'll stand by the assertion that all they needed to do was a high-def and tweaked version of the RE4 template. That game was a monster, and the mechanic of it works well. It needs - no, deserves - to have the concept done more justice and refinement over a couple of iterations. Save a big re-invention for a future RE game, maybe #7 or so.

Halvie

Banned
Pop On Arrival said:
I'd be excited if I could actually find someone who's willing to play the game with me. Almost everyone I know is getting Killzone. I'm still getting it, but playing with randos is gonna be shit.

I think RE5 is going to get forgotten by a lot of people with all the other awesome games coming out around that time.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
RandomVince said:
I wasnt too impressed with the idea of AI co-op partner when I first heard about it, but based on the demo impressions I say they seem to have made it work and work well. Sheva does an awesome job of providing backup, and she isnt braindead. I have played the demo a few dozen times and not once has she been responsible for a game-over.

I am a member of the Type-A defence force, I think RE4 controls were ace as they were, and RE5 is no different. Thankfully we have dpad for quick weapon/item change though, as a real time inventory needs to be exceedingly accessible in a game with so many enemies.

I'll stand by the assertion that all they needed to do was a high-def and tweaked version of the RE4 template. That game was a monster, and the mechanic of it works well. It needs - no, deserves - to have the concept done more justice and refinement over a couple of iterations. Save a big re-invention for a future RE game, maybe #7 or so.
Mmm, I've actually grown to really appreciate having Sheva around, even as an AI.

I was very, very skeptical when they first announced that the whole game was co-op, and that you'd never really be alone (although there's apparently sections where you are totally split up, Gears style, or so I've heard), but as more and more info is released, and as I play more of the demo online with friends (or even with the AI), imagining RE5 without a partner mechanic becomes harder and harder. The mechanic is really what separates it from just "RE4 HD", for me.

Going back and playing RE4, and not having a partner there to save me when a ganado grabs me felt bizarre for a couple of minutes, before I readjusted. :lol I really like how, even with the demo, the game gets you into a head-space where you are relying on Sheva. I hope Capcom really plays with this as the game goes on.

It's a shame some people have been so turned off by the controls.

29 days to go! :D

RpgN

vehn said:
have they said anything about how online co-op and things like the amount of money / guns unlocked will work? Like if I'm playing with a friend and then he has to leave and I'll want to play with someone else, will all the money carry over and things like that? RE games have always been a little RPG-ish with the weapons you can upgrade, don't quite know how that will work between different games with different people

Playing the game in co-op, each member receives the same amount of money found. Which makes it seems that you bring the money earned with you and it might be possible to continue with someone else with your save? Maybe you'll always have to select levels once unlocked? Don't know how they'll handle new weapons.

And add me to the people who LOVED the demo. I've played it about 10 times! Co-op is a great new addition to RE. I really wasn't excited this much until I tried the demo.

Type A user here :D

Nikorasu

HomerSimpson-Man said:
RE4 was hit with similar complaints of cumbersome controls.

It's been 4 years since RE4 and it's been over a decade it's the another variation of the tank-controls yet again for the RE series. Capcom doesn't have much of an excuse anymore why they stick to such an archaic control scheme that's more detrimental than it really should. It's even more of a mind blogger the fact the game has increased it's approach towards a style of gameplay that works far better with another control scheme, especially proven ones.

Why do you keep using that word? I asked you nicely. D:
How can it be archaic if the scheme you adore in the other games has been around since the dawn of 3d gaming? IT DOES NOT COMPUTE.

RE has never had archaic controls. It has had RE controls.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh and anyone who plays with Type A controls should really consider giving Type C a fair chance (like, play through all of the Shanty Town section with it). Having the option to strafe is great for just scanning the environments, if nothing else.

As an AI, Sheva is a hassle to put up with. She is even worse than Ashley, who acually wasn't bad at all, since you can't tell her to stay put while you take care of the bad guys. She's always off getting into trouble like getting stuck behind doors, trying to snipe enemies while standing in the middle of the street, or just standing in the middle of the street doing NOTHING waiting to ruin my good streak by getting beheaded.

The demo goes from great to awesome when playing with another player. I don't have the luxury to play the entire campaign with another, in fact, I don't think most gamers do. RE5 should have really studied Gears more to learn how to balance a good single and co-op game.

Yagharek

Rez>You said:
Mmm, I've actually grown to really appreciate having Sheva around, even as an AI.

I was very, very skeptical when they first announced that the whole game was co-op, and that you'd never really be alone (although there's apparently sections where you are totally split up, Gears style, or so I've heard), but as more and more info is released, and as I play more of the demo online with friends (or even with the AI), imagining RE5 without a partner mechanic becomes harder and harder. The mechanic is really what separates it from just "RE4 HD", for me.

Going back and playing RE4, and not having a partner there to save me when a ganado grabs me felt bizarre for a couple of minutes, before I readjusted. :lol I really like how, even with the demo, the game gets you into a head-space where you are relying on Sheva. I hope Capcom really plays with this as the game goes on.

It's a shame some people have been so turned off by the controls.

29 days to go! :D

Indeed, agree with you on most points there (havent tried RE4 since playing the RE5 demo though :D )

I know after playing it a few times I am more aware of how much ammo Sheva has, and dont horde it all myself. She is a useful AI partner, moreso than the fable 2 dog, for example. I hope they dont do anything contrived with the character just for the sake of "lol, your partner am dead!" just for the sake of it. But then RE series has always been mostly predictable so I wouldnt be surprised if it happened.

What would be great is if they could develop another character who will factor more in successive RE games, rather than alternating between RE1 and RE2 characters ad infinitum. We have Jill, Chris, Claire, Leon ... time for some new blood I say.

I am also really, REALLY looking forward to finding out what or whom the boss characters are in this game. The last 2 story trailers for this game just screamed epic, and given Chris is the main man, I cannot wait!

Rez>You said:
Oh and anyone who plays with Type A controls should really consider giving Type C a fair chance (like, play through all of the Shanty Town section with it). Having the option to strafe is great for just scanning the environments, if nothing else.

Type C sounds like the RE3 Nemesis mod of RE4 controls. Fair call?

Nikorasu

Rez>You said:

Eh, I think panning the camera with the right stick is just as effective as strafing. I'm really not a stubborn purist or anything, but I do like the original controls. I have used both, and I don't feel like the added movement is all that beneficial.

Top Bottom