• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thread of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

oneHeero

I had to make this topic, I love TMNT and can say I actually grew up on it likes others did during Thundercats/transformers.

So I figured w/ the movie announced(it was real right?) and the video game remake, that we could have a TMNT to reminisce on the old TMNT cartoons, toys, favorite times etc.

What I loved about TMNT was the toys, I'm hispanic and back when I was like 6-10 my cosuins and I were always at K-mart on the weekends(during school) or weekdays(during summer). Thats because my mother and aunts always liked going to Kmart to shop, walk around and talk/catch up while there. It was everyday but 1x a week. My cousins and I loved it because we would just chill in the toy section, and this was back in the day when toy sections were 5-7 rows of actual toys, not shit like nowadays. It was like a mini toys-r-us.

Back to the point though, I owned so many TMNT toys because they were awesome, and some were dumb as fuck. I got a TMNT camera for bday once and when you took the picture it would come out with a Ralphael watermark in the lower corner, that thing was awesome. Or the little white machines(god cant think of the name) those little toys were awesome to play with.

I even had the fucken cashcow toys they made, w/ the turtles in jerseys or the one that shoots a basketball. I bought everything I could, anyone remember these? I even bought the fake Ooze in bottles.
technodrome.jpg

partywagon.jpg

blimp.jpg

The enemies were all kinds of awesome. Krang, Shredder, Rocksteady, metalhead, slash, ratman, General Tragg(so cool), Baxter, Bebop, Casey Jones, and so on.

Lately I've been looking up old episodes and watching them, anyone have any awesome memories?

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
oneHeero said:
Or the little white machines(god cant think of the name) those little toys were awesome to play with.

Mousers?

I have tons of fond memories of TMNT. From the show, to the games, to the toys. I do have one kind of funny memory. Later on, near the end of the popularity, Crash Dummies was getting kind of popular. My brothers and I used to unscrew the screws off the TMNT action figures, and throw them against the walls. This would make their limbs explode off, like Crash Dummies toys.

oneHeero

SephCast said:
Mousers?

I have tons of fond memories of TMNT. From the show, to the games, to the toys. I do have one kind of funny memory. Later on, near the end of the popularity, Crash Dummies was getting kind of popular. My brothers and I used to unscrew the screws off the TMNT action figures, and throw them against the walls. This would make their limbs explode off, like Crash Dummies toys.
Mousers, hell yeah that is the name. Wow, Crash Dummies was bad ass too lol forgot all about them.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's
MisterAnderson said:
Did anyone go to that Ninja Turtles rock concert thing? I went to that when i was really young, and it was awesome.

I had the video, and loved it. I think we had the tape soundtrack too. I loved those songs back in the day.

Sanjuro

If I was at my house I could take more photographs. I like to call myself the resident GAF-TMNT fan here. I recovered "some" of my childhood toys, but I had a step father that threw out much of my items without my knowledge. So there went all of my Transformers/TMNT. Although to be honest, I was a bigger fan of the books and media aspect of them than the actual product.

I own practically EVERY issue of TMNT Mirage comic books, V1-V4, Tales, One Shots, TPB, you name it.

oneHeero

SanjuroTsubaki said:
If I was at my house I could take more photographs. I like to call myself the resident GAF-TMNT fan here. I recovered "some" of my childhood toys, but I had a step father that threw out much of my items without my knowledge. So there went all of my Transformers/TMNT. Although to be honest, I was a bigger fan of the books and media aspect of them than the actual product.

I own practically EVERY issue of TMNT Mirage comic books, V1-V4, Tales, One Shots, TPB, you name it.
If you wouldnt mind I'd love to hear more about those things and your memories. I'd like it a lot more if you posted some of your pics when you got a chance, favorite toys, rare toys, etc.

I just wanna hear other people's memories, tmnt is so awesome.

I too tried to buy a few of the toys after losing all my toys when I was young. I bought a shredder, all the turtles, a rocksteady, and one of the vehicles that has a drill in the front it was a bad guys vehicle. I lost the drill part during a move :(

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
I dressed as donatello from halloweens age four through age nine. Every birthday cake I had until age ten had one or all of the turtles on it. I owned pretty much every action figure they released in the early nineties. between me and my brother, we have over 20 unopened action figures released during that time period.

Ah... does anyone know of websites for finding out how much action figures are worth?

My most vivid memory is one afternoon as a small kid with my aunt watching over me. I'm dunking my baseball Raphael action figure into a cup of milk. Looking back, I can't possibly fathom why I would do that. :lol

I also have fleeting memories of the cartoons, for some reason I was liking NT: TNE (thank god that ended quick), and I was the only person in my friend circle to watch the TMNT cg film. I liked it, and anticipate the upcoming film.

DustinC

I remember being so fucking happy that I had finally come across a Usagi Yojimbo toy as a kid after looking for him all summer long one year. I think, from the toy line at least, that I enjoyed getting the non-Turtle characters more so than the main cast. The villains in particular, and even the odd side characters like the rollerblading Gekko, the Manta Ray guy, and so on. Easily my favorite toy line as a kid, topping Transformers and He-Man for me.

Dead

well not really...yet
I remember the one Ninja Turtles figure I wanted so bad but NEVER got due to never finding him as a kid

123xu9c.jpg

Walkabout. I wanted this guy so bad for some reason.

Also I never had the Technodrome, despite my parents spoiling me rotten with pretty much everything else :(

oneHeero

DustinC said:
I remember being so fucking happy that I had finally come across a Usagi Yojimbo toy as a kid after looking for him all summer long one year. I think, from the toy line at least, that I enjoyed getting the non-Turtle characters more so than the main cast. The villains in particular, and even the odd side characters like the rollerblading Gekko, the Manta Ray guy, and so on. Easily my favorite toy line as a kid, topping Transformers and He-Man for me.
So good!!!
usagi-yojimbo.jpg

Here is a site that show's the whole playmate line broken down by year.

http://www.ninjaturtles.com/toys/archive.html

ReiGun

My most distinct memory involving the turtles is one day I was playing with my Mickey pizza shooter toy in my sister's room near an iron. Little did I know, the iron was on. Next thing I know, my carefree playing was interrupted by a horrible pain in my right hand. I actually still have the burn mark there.

I think I got into after the whole phenomenon (about 92), but I still loved the show. I watched the reruns everyday, and it was the first TV show theme song I ever memorized. I also had the NES, which I remember making my young self angry to the point of tears one day.

One of my favourite Christmases was getting all four turtles in the morning and then a load of other shit in the afternoon. I remember getting to the airfield in the game - beating the underwater stage was one of my greatest childhood achievements in anything.:lol

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
I am Hispanic too, and I loved ninja turtles. But more interesting is you talking about going to k-mart on the weekends. We always used to say that on Sundays after church all the Mexicans would go to the mall and walk around. It became kind of a tradition with us kids to go to the mall and shop on Sundays and point out all the Mexicans in their church clothes. We called it, "Mexican Shopping day".

Kind of a weird thing to do as kids now that I think about it.

Struct09

MisterAnderson said:
Did anyone go to that Ninja Turtles rock concert thing? I went to that when i was really young, and it was awesome.

I went to a show and I watched the video tons of times.

I was just playing some Turtles in Time the other night, TMNT is still awesome.

JaseMath

141.jpg

My samurai Leonardo was always the peace maker after the real Leo would die. I'd resurrect him like Jesus and he'd destroy all the bad guys.

Ganhyun

Dead said:
I remember the one Ninja Turtles figure I wanted so bad but NEVER got due to never finding him as a kid

123xu9c.jpg

Walkabout. I wanted this guy so bad for some reason.

Also I never had the Technodrome, despite my parents spoiling me rotten with pretty much everything else :(

I remember when I got him as a kid.

Oh, how I wish I still had all my old Ninja Turtle action figures. :(

Man, I used to LOVE the Ninja Turtles. I had about every action figure and playset that came out, but they were all stolen from me when I was like 5 from a bunch of asshole movers when my family moved. :(

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
I've been trying to get the old comic collections at a decent price, but to get some of them is astronomically expensive for what they are.

I would like to see a new printing of the old material... :(

Top sad turtle memories

-Usagi Yojuimbo's armor plates would always come off and I eventualy lost them :(
-Trying to make the Shredder figure stand up on his own
-Getting to the underwater level in the first video game

Top happy turtle moments

-Getting all four HUGE turtles. They were like almost a foot tall!
-Seeing the Coming Out of Their Shells tour at the Universal Ampitheatre
-Playing the arcade game every time I went to Chuckie Cheese

Sanjuro

El_TigroX said:
I've been trying to get the old comic collections at a decent price, but to get some of them is astronomically expensive for what they are.

I would like to see a new printing of the old material... :(
They are independent books except for the Archie comics which are much easier to find. They are releasing some of the old ones in TPB form again, but not the entire run I believe.

Mile High Comics is your best bet if you want just the issues at a cheap cost. They have/had almost all of them available.

Vol. 1 - Is an oddball. The first around twenty issues or so are actual TMNT story where the rest of the issues until the final thirteen are various interpretations and takes on the TMNT characters by all different authors and artists. However this contains my favorite stories in TMNT....ever.

Vol. 2 - Quick thirteen or so issue series done in color, continues the story.

Vol. 3 - This is the only series I'm still missing some issues as it isn't continuity. Erik Larson from Savage Dragon made them much more hardcore and killed Donatello in the first issue.

Vol. 4 - The most consistant series in terms of story. It is almost over, as the costs to make the books are nowhere close to the money made back. Peter Laird is finishing the series at his own pace.

Tales of the TMNT V1/V2 - Both accompany Vol. 1 and Vol. 4 with excellent side stories and extensions on stories not completed. This is the main ongoing series currently.

Archie - If you loved the original cartoon, this series basically expanded the universe and made it one of the most entertaining books read as a child.

Dreamwave - Short series of maybe eight issues I believe. I enjoyed it a great deal and the art was fantastic and colorful. Was based of the 2003 series.

Besides those, you will find several crossovers (Savage Dragon, Flaming Carrot, Usagi Yojimbo) that the TMNT make appearances in, as well as many one shot issues and other publication usage.

54-46!

I want a set of the new NECA figures on my shelf :) Anyone who knows an online shop that sell them relatively cheap in Europe?

ak7sls.jpg

I had a ton of figures and the Turtle Van, but I didn't have the Technodrome or Turtle Blimp. My best friend did, though, so it was all good.

I remember April and Fugitoid being really hard to find in the stores. Finally got April once they reprinted her, and totally lucked out on a Fugitoid at Kay Bee Toys once.

Sanjuro

54-46! said:
I want a set of the new NECA figures on my shelf :) Anyone who knows an online shop that sell them relatively cheap in Europe?

ak7sls.jpg
http://ninjaturtles.com/html/necacart.html

If you have PayPal right from the source. If I had known in advance I could have bought some and shipped them to you signed, as the creator was at free comic day in New Hampshire and they always carry a few of those on hand.

I'm not at my house, so cannot do photos of all my drawings from them, but here is my set I have for a photo I took for my DVD collection.

25zifip.jpg

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
CalamityDaunt said:
Apparently my parents went to about 20 Toys 'R' Us's to get me the blimp back in the day :D

fucking lucky!!!!!!

that was one of the hardest things to find, it's funny this thread came up.

My grandma hit me up some time ago and said she found one of my toys so I went to check it out and it was the Ooze machine with some turtles lol, the ooze didn't age too well lol.

Sanjuro

54-46! said:
I've already visited the official site, it says "U.S. Orders Only".

:|
While I "should" be selling mine off as I'm unemployed and bleeding money in bills, I love that set too much. I'm not sure where to recommend to check overseas either. If you wanted me to give you a hand in obtaining I could easily help. I have a shit ton of feedback in the buy/sell/trade thread. Mirage is located in MA and there are several outlets that "may" still have the set, although there wasn't many of them shipped out. At worst, could order and ship to you...only hardship is the international shipping costs.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
54-46! said:
You're in luck my friend! July 2009 :)

TMNT Collected Book Volume 1

Oh, you just made my FUCKING DAY!!!!

This is EXACTLY what I've been waiting for. AWESOME!

Edit: If I make it through the alleged layoffs this week (PLEASE! Even though I hate this job), this will be mine!

Had this weird random urge to watch the first movie last night. I love it love it so much.

Parents gave away most of my TMNT toys while I was in high school. Probably told 'em I didn't care. Stupid fucking teen angst.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom