• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Expansion 3 Out Now!

Gowans

bannerdefault.jpg

Release Date: 17th June 09
Price: 800MSP

http://www.wizards.com/magic/digital/duelsoftheplaneswalkers.aspx

Details:
An extension of the world's premier trading card game, Magic: The Gathering® — Duels of the Planeswalkers™ brings a pulse-pounding mix of strategic thinking, fantastic artwork, and arcade-style thrills to Xbox LIVE® Arcade. Experience an epic game of fantasy and strategy, as never before, when you take on the mantle of a Planeswalker—a powerful mage capable of traversing the infinite planes of existence—and forge your destiny!

• Easy to play: The game includes a robust tutorial mode.
  • New character: A brand-new, exclusive character debuts in the form of the Planeswalker Nissa Revane, a proud and ruthless nature-mage.
  • Multiple game modes: Play single-player, co-op custom and co-op campaign games. Participate in various multiplayer modes, and play with friends around the world using customized decks.
  • Leaderboards and achievements: Climb to the top of the leaderboards and earn gamerscore from achievements.
  • Unlockable content: Obtain additional cards, avatars, and skins.
  • Challenge/Puzzle mode: Play the special puzzle mode developed by Wizards of the Coast.

Bonus
With your purchase of Duels of the Planeswalkers on XBox LIVE Arcade for 800 MS points, you will receive a code valid for an exclusive Magic: the Gathering, limited edition, foil Garruk Wildspeaker Planeswalker promo card as a gift from Wizards of the Coast!

Redeem your code here!

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD--_wQWJlk

Gameplay Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cL0kDfkAGjY

Screen Shots:
dotp_whatis_screen1_full.jpg

dotp_whatis_screen2_full.jpg

dotp_whatis_screen3_full.jpg

dotp_whatis_screen4_full.jpg

Xbox.com Page - Download Trial (not up yet)

Jube3

damn gowans is on fire today :lol Im interested in checking this one out im not a big card player gamer but Ive had fun with other other genres I never played in real life (catan).

Gowans

Exact same here Jube, I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss was all about so thought I'd whip up this thread while I wait for this mornings XBLA stuff.

I haven't got a clue about magic so if there is stuff I need to add to the op let me know. Can't wait to play with you guys.

holy crap, this is a great surprise. Did we know before today that it would be released today?

edit: I've seen that shivan dragon image ever since the first time i heard about this game, funny because that was my first rare way back when I was in elementary school and bought my first revised starter

Gowans007 said:
Exact same here Jube, I'm looking forward to seeing what the fuss was all about so thought I'd whip up this thread while I wait for this mornings XBLA stuff.

I haven't got a clue about magic so if there is stuff I need to add to the op let me know. Can't wait to play with you guys.

I havent played magic in a long time, but what exactly about magic would you want to add to the OP?

I'd think a couple links to some tutorials on the wizards website would be all that is necessary other than specific info about the game and what kind of cards you could use in this game.

Oh, and the fact that this is basically the only electronic way to play with current (i.e. shandalar doesnt count) magic cards without having to buy booster and starter packs a la magic online or expecting your opponent to know each and every rule a la apprentice or a similar deck building program.

Hammer24

Banned
I haven´t played Magic for at least 15 years. Have there been any rule changes, or will I be able to pick this up and play right away?

Gowans

Ice Monkey said:
I havent played magic in a long time, but what exactly about magic would you want to add to the OP?.

Thanks I'll go through the thread later when people are playing and pick up any handy links (rule set, tutorial etc.).

Hammer24 said:
I haven´t played Magic for at least 15 years. Have there been any rule changes, or will I be able to pick this up and play right away?
You stopped playing before sixth-edition, so quite a bit has changed. DotP seems to be an entry/mid-level product so you shouldn't have any problem getting back into the thick of things.

Hammer24 said:

I'm basically talking out of my ass since I havent played since ravnica, but based on ravnica and several of the sets before it plus some things ive read from time to time since then, every set seems to have one or two new little cutesy mechanics on many of the cards, but these mechanics are not EXTREMELY game changing, as in they can actually be fully written on the card itself.

So for some examples to best show what I mean, one set in ravnica or something added some cute mechanic where you could discard the card and then search through your library for another of the same type during upkeep or whatever, and there would be 5-10 other cards in the set that all had the same type of ability. Add in maybe a maximum of two more similarly "game-changing" abilities like that per set and thats the main distinguishing difference between that set and any set of magic youve ever played. Then of course you have the cards that everyone creams themselves over and pays up the butt to get a copy of like this guy ishimaru the lion or something who is like an improved "Savannah Lions" from the kamigawa set, or they remake a card like birds of paradise in ravnica that's been there since alpha or beta (the first sets) and youve got most of the sets I played.

Now like I said, I havent played since ravnica, but of note would be a more recent card like the "plainswalker" cards that I dont know too much about, that play like the OLD legendary cards from the legends set but they are a separate attackable creature that acts like a second set of your 20 life points that you still start off with even in magic today.

These are the cards that might trip you up with trying to learn, but basically if you remember all of the archaic rules like when to tap and attack and upkeep and all that then youll be fine. Plus, with the way the game is built, youll likely not even be able to make a mistake like you might if you dont thoroughly read the rulebooks and are playing by hand.

Another thing to note is that when I got back into it a year or two ago (and then stopped), the current way you played was by either playing classic, extended or standard (I think). This would mean that if you played classic, you could use any card from any set, but the funny thing is, NONE of the new cards even compared to the cards from the revised set or even earlier, so youd have these standard ultra expensive decks that all consist of having moxes and whatever else cards that werent banned from the earliest sets. Yeah, cards like time warp or fork are essentially banned if you want to play officially, and I would bet any of the fun old cards arent even in this game.

So then if you play extended, that goes back a couple sets more than standard, so when I played kamigawa, extended included mirrodin and invasion or something but I only had mirrodin and kamigawa cards. Then standard just included kamigawa and mirrodin. Then when they came out with ravnica, mirrodin was taken out of standard, which also kind of made them useless to me because if I didnt have all the great cards from invasion I wouldnt be able to make a good deck for an extended card game.

One final thing is that even though like a new set or expansion will be introduced every quarter of a year, they still come out with like 8th edition or 9th or 10th edition, (compared to revised which was called 3rd edition). These are probably the cards in this xbox live game. But the funny thing is, they still add cards from the newer sets for newere "editions", but ONLY THE BLAND ONES, so NO COMPLICATED CARDS WHATSOEVER. So like youll have some samurai of kamigawa that is 2/2 with haste, he'll be added to 11th edition or whatever, but NEVER super time warp ninja of kamigawa that searches your deck for a ultra-mega-hidden-valley of kamigawa with 8/8, trample and seeing-eye-dog ability. So even though this makes the base set a lot less complicated, I dont even think people use many if at all any cards from these editions in any sort of advanced play unless its that rare isimaru "savannah lions remake" that i think got added to 9th edition maybe.

Hope this helped at all, and anyone with accurate information compared to this talking-out-of-my-ass 2 year old knowledge feel free to correct me on the multiple errors I likely made.

maxax

I haven't played magic in a long time either.
So this will probably give me a good taste of things that changed in the last 5-7 years right?
I doubt I'll ever go back full scale, but even seeing the Shivan Dragon (my first rare of any worth) gives me a rush of nostalgia.

Hammer24

Banned
I´ll try the demo and see if that drags me back in. Thx for the explanations, but it seems a bit confusing right now.

Llyranor

Haha, Shivan Dragon. I remember that card!

It's been a while. I think the last next pack that came out before I stopped playing was Ice Age or something.

Newcomers to the game really should go through the tutorial/ruleset. It's not something you necessarily just can pick up and play by yourself.

Dunlop

arg, I forgot about the patch in WAR yesterday. All these releases are killing me :D

I'm almost hoping this is no good as LIVE expires on the 22nd and I did not plan on renewing for a few months to force me to pickup MP titles on my PS3

ok...I'm lying. I hope this game kicks ass

Davidion

Ahhhhhhhh Magic nerds, the nerds that D&D nerds used to make fun of. :lol :lol

Anyways, I picked up the game via the old PC version and I like it. I'm surprised this game isn't seeing a bigger resurgence now that CCGs have been more popularly accepted as of late.

lostzenfound

This game seems like one that a bunch of people are going to be looking for partners to play with -- so I've gone ahead and created a friends account to help get everyone together. Maybe we won't need it, but I hope we do.

The account is: 'GAF Magic'

So, if anyone is interested in building a good pool of playing buddies, I'll keep the friend requests up to date.

Ricker

Yeah not up yet,just like Sam and Max,S&M is there but does not work,you get the try later error message...post maintenance problems still I guess...

bistromathics

facing a bright new dawn
Q: Can I create new decks or modify my deck?

A: Duels of the Planeswalkers allows players to customize their deck with cards unlocked by defeating opponents. The core of the deck is constant but how you choose to modify your deck is up to you.

What? How is the "core" constant? I can't choose my colors? I don't really understand how this works. Without developing my own theme for my own deck, Magic loses pretty much all of its appeal.

modeps

Neo Member
bistromathics said:
What? How is the "core" constant? I can't choose my colors? I don't really understand how this works. Without developing my own theme for my own deck, Magic loses pretty much all of its appeal.
You get a pre-built deck... then you customize it. Much like how you can buy prebuilts in the card shops and work your own things into it. The decks are opened as you play through the game... and new cards are unlocked.

Zachack

bistromathics said:
I believe it's a 40-card preset color deck with 20 slots for changing.

It's also a $10 game designed partly to get new people interested in MtG. Going in cold to MtG if would probably be daunting, and a full editable deck would result in new people getting slaughtered by people who know how to build decks. If you want to have the "real" experience play MtG:O and spend the big bucks.

Dai Kaiju

Can anyone else not download this? It just showed up on XBLA about half an hour ago, but it says "cannot download this item". This is driving me insane. I've been SO excited for this :lol

EDIT: Ok, it's not just me.

JBuccCP

Dai Kaiju said:
Can anyone else not download this? It just showed up on XBLA about half an hour ago, but it says "cannot download this item". This is driving me insane. I've been SO excited for this :lol
same here

Dai Kaiju

I hope they have DLC. The few cards i've seen from the gameplay vids are reeally fucking boring. A lot of them are creatures that don't even do anything aside from attack/block. I know they're trying to make it accessible, but it could really turn off the day one purchase crowd.

mclem

So, as someone who *very* briefly touched Magic *years* ago (playing a demo of one of the first PC titles)... any idea if this will be any good as an entry-level experience.

Having heard drips and drabs over time, I'd quite like a sort-of "progression" design, where you'd have the option to start out with the original decks only and following some sort of metric (Gaining n cards? Playing n bouts?) it would progress to the next generation of Magic; allowing you to see the evolution of the game over time.

Too much to hope for?

xir

Likely to be eaten by a grue
i saw a 20 minute demo at NYC Comic Con. Looks fun, but lack of real deck constructions made sad face on kitten.

Kifimbo

Dunlop said:
Are there any reviews for it (a la IGN) ?

I'm shackled behind a firewall atm

After a quick search, nothing.

Need impressions.

I still have my old cards. I definitely stopped playing with the Invasion set or around that time. But I mostly played before the Urza Block.

kuYuri

Freaking XBL won't let me download the trial version. -_-;

I guess XBL isn't completely back up yet as usual.

God, relapse is right. After getting myself hyped up for this game in the past few days, I start checking all my old MTG haunts online (I stopped playing over five years ago).

Then I start looking for Magic events in Glasgow and there's one a mile away from me and I'm thinking of going to their Friday Night Magics :S

I can't go back! I WON'T! I...I...

...excuse me, I need a quick booster...

MotherFan

giant_frying_pan said:
God, relapse is right. After getting myself hyped up for this game in the past few days, I start checking all my old MTG haunts online (I stopped playing over five years ago).

Then I start looking for Magic events in Glasgow and there's one a mile away from me and I'm thinking of going to their Friday Night Magics :S

I can't go back! I WON'T! I...I...

...excuse me, I need a quick booster...
Your fucked, sorry lol.

I know what you mean though, damn i want to play now. I had more than a few sleepless nights in college during that relapse :p

Judderman

drawer by drawer
I haven't played Magic in years but I've already come to grips that this will make me relapse. I'm probably going to go to one of those Magic 2010 Prerelease events and then my wallet will begin to cry again.

MotherFan

nincompoop said:
I read you can't even choose which lands to tap for mana? That seems like an epic fail if true.

Someone needs to confirm if this is true or not. This could be a deal breaker.

Top Bottom