• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: The Gathering - Duels of the Planeswalkers |OT| Expansion 3 Out Now!

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
divisionbyzorro said:
So is someone making an OT for Duels 2012?

AFAIK, no. But you could!

I should try the demo on Steam and see how the PC version of this one runs. But I don't want to buy the game a third time and have to unlock the cards AGAIN.

ajf009

Fragamemnon said:
you don't choose which lands to tap to play cards, you pick the card you want to play and the game taps the land for you. They are all basic lands from my understanding anyway so it's not like there is a lot of tactical decision making is lost in the process.

Deck customization is interesting, from what I understand-each deck has a "core" set of cards and you will always have that core set of cards in your deck if you are playing with that planeswalker avatar. The 'non-core' cards can be replaced by others though. At least that's how I understand it works.

Sarkhan's deck has Broodmate Dragon, Flameblast Dragon, and Hellkite Overlord, so I'm hoping I can splice in some of the ramp and fixing from from Garruk's and Nissa's deck and just crush people with it but it's likely that I won't be able to get Civic Wayfinder/Rampant Growth/Farhaven Elf in.

Made this a no buy for me, oh well

Minsc

Gold Member
divisionbyzorro said:
Reviews for 2012 are trickling out. I'll probably drop an OT later today if nobody else beats me to it :).

Is there a better picture on how card swapping works? Can you swap same-color enchantment/instants/sorcercy across the all the decks? It was mentioned before swapping creatures are restricted to being the same color/theme (vampires, elves, etc) as the deck you're editing, which is a bit restricting, but I wonder if non-creature cards are restricted as heavily?

Maybe there's a screenshot of the swapping in action.

Minsc

Gold Member
Looks like my skepticism was correct:

Deck-Editing

Magic players universally hated the original Duels of the Planeswalkers deck-editor because it wasn’t really an editor. It allowed you to add unlocked cards to your deck, but you couldn’t pull cards out.

Highly annoying.

This was the first improvement that I recall Paul pointing out to me. Now players are able to have full control over the non-mana cards in their deck. So, as you unlock cards, you can slide them into your deck and pull out another card. The game does not yet allow you to mix and match cards from different decks, though, so you can’t mix Koth’s and Chandra’s decks together even though they’re both mono-Red.

The deck-builder also still manages your lands. It calculates what you need based on how many cards you’ve picked for your deck. So you can’t specifically cut an island for a White card, but it’s going to programmatically determine that for you.

So deck editing only has the smallest of improvements, you cannot access the entire game's cards to edit a deck, only the preselected 20 or so sideboard cards already chosen for each deck.

The only way that would be cool is if they picked the 20 or so sideboard cards in such a way that you could drastically alter the deck enough that it'd play different, giving each base deck multiple sub decks that could be used as opposed to the sideboard complimenting the deck and ending up with just a single ideal build.

Top Bottom