• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Internet has ruined the American public library

Status
Not open for further replies.
These days, I cannot go to any library in all of DC or Montgomery County, MD without seeing the same breed of degenerate visitors exhausting and misusing valuable library resources and space.

It’s sad when someone who needs to use a library computer for a legitimate purpose has to sign in on an electronic wait list because most of the machines are being occupied by flash gamers, youtube fanatics, and social networking zombies.

I was there just last week because my home computer was acting up, and I had to wait 45 minutes to get on a machine to check and send e-mail and other important things. I walked around and noticed that a good portion of the computer users were dicking around with the machines and when I reported this to a librarian at the service area, she told me that there was nothing that she could do about it.

It’s not just about me not being able to use one of the computers that I pay with my tax dollars, it’s about the decaying atmosphere of libraries today. I remember when people, both young and old, would go to a library to actually LEARN and would walk out with a stack of books in their arms. These days, libraries are transforming into some arcade/social café hybrid, and I have no doubt that if CNN were to film a story about it, tax paying citizens would demand changes. Disturbing footages of people who can’t even speak proper English using library resources not to LEARN the damn language but to MySpace some jobless underage whore who’s probably using a public computer herself on someone else's dime.

It's BS. Free Internet is attracting the wrong breed of visitors. Fuckers that didn't even know what a library was much less care for it now flock to it in droves. They used to avoid libraries like the plague, now it's their little fucking home away from home.

I have a solution: Libraries should force visitors to pay a monthly fee of $5 to use the machines. That way, not only would it free up some of the machines by weeding out some of the mongrels that come in regularly to use them but the extra money would help to finance areas of the library that need to be improved.

My money is being wasted.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I remember when my parents made me pick cotton all day and the only snack I got was peanut butter on a spoon.

YYZ

No mention of masturbators, hmm. Consider your library one of the better ones then.

Cyan

Banned
Not enough pejoratives and thinly veiled racism. Definitely not up to the standard I've come to expect from NB. 6.8.

Foob

this has been going on for years at the libraries around me...

ok i'm gonna be honest i didn't read the last section so the weird racist bit doesn't apply

SUPREME1

Banned
OP said:
These days, I cannot go to any library in all of DC or Montgomery County, MD without seeing the same breed of degenerate visitors exhausting and misusing valuable library resources and space.

Jacoby01.jpg

Binabik15

Why don´t you offer them a bit of money, say fifty cents, to make some copies for you while you use the pc to look up ski routes.

Teddman

Save monies, buy a cheap netbook, use the library's free wi-fi, and never worry about the public computers again.

lastendconductor

Put your snobby liquids into my mouth!
I actually agree with you, except for the fee part. EDIT: and the racist part. And it's not just American libraries.

bjork

I've been gone for a year, but aren't you the guy that got axed from work for being all socially backwards?

Go get webtv or something.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
I don't know about "ruined," but it does strike me as sad that every time I go to the library, the computer section is full, and the actual book sections are relatively barren.

Evander

"industry expert"
NintendosBooger said:

It’s sad when someone who needs to use a library computer for a legitimate purpose has to sign in on an electronic wait list because most of the machines are being occupied by flash gamers, youtube fanatics, and social networking zombies.

I was there just last week because my home computer was acting up, and I had to wait 45 minutes to get on a machine to check and send e-mail and other important things. I walked around and noticed that a good portion of the computer users were dicking around with the machines and when I reported this to a librarian at the service area, she told me that there was nothing that she could do about it.

It’s not just about me not being able to use one of the computers that I pay with my tax dollars, it’s about the decaying atmosphere of libraries today. I remember when people, both young and old, would go to a library to actually LEARN and would walk out with a stack of books in their arms. These days, libraries are transforming into some arcade/social café hybrid, and I have no doubt that if CNN were to film a story about it, tax paying citizens would demand changes. Disturbing footages of people who can’t even speak proper English using library resources not to LEARN the damn language but to MySpace some jobless underage whore who’s probably using a public computer herself on someone else's dime.

It's BS. Free Internet is attracting the wrong breed of visitors. Fuckers that didn't even know what a library was much less care for it now flock to it in droves. They used to avoid libraries like the plague, now it's their little fucking home away from home.

I have a solution: Libraries should force visitors to pay a monthly fee of $5 to use the machines. That way, not only would it free up some of the machines by weeding out some of the mongrels that come in regularly to use them but the extra money would help to finance areas of the library that need to be improved.

My money is being wasted.

How's White Oak doing? I used to work there, about ten years ago.

I don't remember it being some bastion of elightenment, but most of the librarians were nice.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Lost Fragment said:
I don't know about "ruined," but it does strike me as sad that every time I go to the library, the computer section is full, and the actual book sections are relatively barren.

Wikipedia is a lot more accurate than books.

HUELEN10

Agreed OP. My library is becoming the social cafe nightmare that you were describing. You know it's bad when the DVD and VIDEO GAME section takes up the first 2 floors, it is sickening. I don't care what anybody says, but there is no place for Video Games at a library! Sadly, I see more and more new games and vids, and less and less new books. It is really really sad!

PBY

Banned
Wait, so you're upset because people are using library computers for personal reasons like social networking, etc, etc, but you want to kick them out because you want to ...check your email?

epitome

Neo Member
haha i feel your pain, i took my son to the library the other day to get him his own library card.. and as we are waiting for the lady to do the paper work or whatever i just look around and people watch for a couple minutes and the computer section was slam packed with people looking at myspace youtube and what not. I think i actually saw one worthy person looking at neogaf (j/k) but i agree it was crazy, like one person it looked like was looking at email the rest just stupid shit, but its hard to tell someone you can look at this but not this, unless its like explicit material that is against terms of use. but it does suck to go in and see the same people over and over day in day out doing the same shit every time you are at the library.

if anything maybe they should set up there time limits better or start a time limit system if they don't have one. say you have to log in with your library numbers then the timer starts and for i don't know 15- 30 mins and once that time is up you are booted out for say an hr? something like that would seem fair enough.

DKnight said:
I actually agree with you, except for the fee part. EDIT: and the racist part. And it's not just American libraries.

What "racist" part? The part about some of the visitors not speaking English? How is that racist, exactly?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Binabik15 said:
Why don´t you offer them a bit of money, say fifty cents, to make some copies for you while you use the pc to look up ski routes.
Alternatively, he could give them the quarters to "watch his car" outside. It'd make them feel useful.

joking aside

Public libraries have gone to hell since they became cyber cafes.

Yeah, well I think this multimedia zeitgeist of youtube, facebook, and flash games are more important than business e-mails and research. Therefore, society's allocation of resources to these individuals is of a pertinent matter. I have absolutely no problem with modern society using these resources to advance their own needs.

Evander

"industry expert"
I also distinctly remmeber that, before the PCs were a big attraction, the White Oak periodical section was full of all sorts of people who "didn't care about the deeper meanings of the library", and just wanted to read the magazines.

Granted, I haven't been in there in years, but I have trouble believing that it is so much different now from how it was then.

web01

Whats up with all the smartass replies its becoming an annoying trend why reply if you dont care about the topic?

Anyway yeah we have this problem too in Australia although im not sure of anyway they could really fix it. I know some librarys blocked certain websites but its impossible to do that with everything. Plus the librarians were always too busy serving people to be able to do anything.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
And when will those damn kids get off my lawn

Evander

"industry expert"
NintendosBooger said:
What "racist" part? The part about some of the visitors not speaking English? How is that racist, exactly?

there is a sizable minority of non-english speakers in montgomery county. if you're making a big deal about spanish speakers, then yeah, that's a bit racist.

I didn't take your comment to mean that, though. To me, it looked more like you were complaining about grammar and sentance construction of people who ARE speaking english, just not the way you want them to.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
epitome said:
if anything maybe they should set up there time limits better or start a time limit system if they don't have one. say you have to log in with your library numbers then the timer starts and for i don't know 15- 30 mins and once that time is up you are booted out for say an hr? something like that would seem fair enough.
Pretty crazy NOT to have a time limit. The last time I went to a public library (8 years ago) there was a one hour limit though you could immediately get back on the waiting list after your time was up.

Stairs

Banned
I love this guy. He is my favorite poster on GAF, a true subversive genius.

I mean he can't be serious, can he?

Flo_Evans

I would think for a man with such obvious superior mental prowess as yourself would have no problem diagnosing and fixing a computer.

Evander

"industry expert"
Chamber said:
Pretty crazy NOT to have a time limit. The last time I went to a public library (8 years ago) there was a one hour limit though you could immediately get back on the waiting list after your time was up.

When I worked at White Oak library (which is close to the DC border, in Montgomery County, MD) we had a time limit on the computers.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
As much as I hoped this would turn into a typical Nintendosbooger superiority backfire thread, this is probably something to debate.

Personally, it's hard to find a seat at my universities library. But we all pay tuition, and I only have to wait 5 mins tops.

I haven't been to a public library for years.

crowphoenix said:
Damn, the annoying poor.

The poor are actually the ones suffering the most as a result. They need these computers to look for new and better jobs, but they can't or have to wait in line because Mr. Zero Cool needs to upload new pics of his 2-pack abs onto his Facebook.

Have you tried university libraries? At my university there are plenty of computers free a lot of the time.

You can get a netbook for 199 now if you can afford it. But I understand what you mean.

Evander

"industry expert"
NintendosBooger said:
The poor are actually the ones suffering the most as a result. They need these computers to look for new and better jobs, but they can't or have to wait in line because Mr. Zero Cool needs to upload new pics of his 2-pack abs onto his Facebook.

Dude, it is a PUBLIC library, for ALL of the public.

If the poor are desperately in need fo dedicated computers for job searches, then some one should put out DEDICATED machines.

If it makes you happy, just think that ZC is using the bit that isbeing paid for with MY tax dollars to the county.

Evander

"industry expert"
The_Inquisitor said:
Have you tried university libraries? At my university there are plenty of computers free a lot of the time.

UMCP is just down the road, and things should be pretty open since the primary semesters are not in session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom