• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Free Internet has ruined the American public library

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trurl

Banned
Buttonbasher said:
I'm grateful for it. It's one of the few arguing points Ohio Libraries have to our stupid ass Governor.

http://saveohiolibraries.com/

img06.jpg

Basically they're cutting funding by 50% which means a large amount of Ohio libraries will close (including the one I work at! bawwwwww). So everyone should write to the Ohio Governor and tell him to reconsider. Cause that always works :'( IT'S A GOOD CAUSE PEOPLE.

So in short, having free internet to the public to search for jobs that wouldn't have it otherwise is something patrons use all the time at my branch and brings in more people than would be there otherwise.
I sent emails to my representatives in the General Assembly (one of whom wrote back and said that she agreed with me), I suppose I should send an email to Strickland as well.

My mom has a theory that slashing library funding is just a bluff to get slot machines into Ohio. I hope she's right but I doubt it. :-(

Troidal

Wait, so when did it become racist to point fingers at immigrants who can't speak English?

When I was living there, that's what everyone kept saying, "You live in America, learn the damn language!".

US is becoming too politically correct?

Before my internet was set up a year and a half ago I went to a public library to work (I work from home, and had just moved). It was the washington heights branch of the NYPL at 165th and st. Nick. They had free wireless, set up computers and laptops for the kids to check out. The laptops had DVD players and stacks of DVD were available, as well as comic books and a variety of novels.

This is a very good thing. Those kids were socializing, they were well behaved, even if it was comic books it was still reading. Washington heights isn't a rich area, and they were learning to use computers and gains skills they couldn't have without this program. What I saw was a positive through and through, even if it didn't confirm to the stuffy (and really, not pertinant for 50 years since most libraries have been having kids programs, knitting classes and the like) view as libraries as centers of research for men with leather elbow patches. And for every 5 of those kids on a laptop, there was one who picked up a book and started reading.

So OP, I'm terribly sorry you had to spend under an hour to wait to use a public service for free that renders a lot of good for your community. I'm terribly sorry the ~$2 a week out of your paycheck that pays for libraries doesn't prevent others from using the tools as they see fit.

Baconbitz

Banned
Zeliard said:
I apologize to the rest of GAF on behalf of Montgomery County, Maryland for this guy's existence.
Well I'm glad you don't have to apoligize for Anne Arundel County, Maryland :lol

bjork

electricpirate said:
So OP, I'm terribly sorry you had to spend under an hour to wait to use a public service for free that renders a lot of good for your community. I'm terribly sorry the ~$2 a week out of your paycheck that pays for libraries doesn't prevent others from using the tools as they see fit.

Yeah!

fart

Savant
electricpirate said:
Before my internet was set up a year and a half ago I went to a public library to work (I work from home, and had just moved). It was the washington heights branch of the NYPL at 165th and st. Nick. They had free wireless, set up computers and laptops for the kids to check out. The laptops had DVD players and stacks of DVD were available, as well as comic books and a variety of novels.

This is a very good thing. Those kids were socializing, they were well behaved, even if it was comic books it was still reading. Washington heights isn't a rich area, and they were learning to use computers and gains skills they couldn't have without this program.
very cool. the unfortunate thing about how library funding works is that because it's largely municipal, local libraries in disadvantaged areas often really don't have these resources, even to "waste" (as per OP). the reality is that the public library is one of the few public, community-centric institutions in many smaller (and poorer) areas, and so there's an elegant kind of symmetry in the fact that its resources can be used to provide access to the larger network community, even if it may throw wealthy spergers like the OP into conniptions.

Would you feel better if I took a picture of the four computers in my house? I could set them all to the page that you wanted to go to.

okno

I used to work in the 5th busiest library in Illinois five years ago (Cook Memorial Public), and the rate at which the condition of that library deteriorated was astounding. I had gone to that library from 2nd grade until I graduated high school (and quit my job, I was a high school page at the circulation counter), and my mother had worked there from the time we moved to the town until we moved out.

That library was a haven for my friends and me growing up. We'd go almost everyday just to escape the heat or brutal cold and we'd grab a bunch of books and magazines and hang out, and whatever we didn't finish we took home. Once I got into high school, I would go there every day to check the CD racks and the video racks to see what new and awesome random thing I could find. Once I got a job there, though, in '03, things went downhill, fast. DVDs were steadily becoming more commonplace, and the library had a pathetic DVD section, so, naturally, everyone began to demand the library update it's video section with DVDs instead of VHS. Contrary to popular belief, when you request something at a library, they can't just turn to someone and say, "I need this," and then give it to you. It costs money, and libraries have very tight budgets. What's unbeknownst to most people is that, while you do pay taxes which go towards paying for public services such libraries, very little of those tax dollars actually make it TO the library. The library's budget is entirely dictated by the town government, and anything the library wants has to be passed through by not JUST the tax paying voters, but also the town board. This leads to very angry patrons, because they can't have what they want and so they pressure the library until they get what they want. This leads to job and service cuts just so Soccer Mom can have Dora the Explorer DVD for her little girl.

Then the internet got huge. As if getting every new CD and DVD wasn't enough of a problem, now we HAD to get free, unlimited wi-fi, and we HAD to get brand new computers so everyone could go on MySpace. What ended up happening is just like in the OP: we gave the masses computers, and they trashed the fucking place. Everyone treated it like a rec room and would leave trash all over the place and would bring in drinks and food and leave them behind. People would get their books, along with their coffees, go sit at a computer and place the coffee on the stack of books and then, OOPS, down goes the coffee ruining a stack of books and a brand new computer that the library can't replace. But, oh no, people began to complain that one of the computers was down and couldn't be used. Threats were made, and the library got a new computer.

Dozens of people were laid off just because the library had no option but to update to the hot-new-thing everyone wanted. The library is a free-public service, but it still costs money. It's a business of it's own, and a lot of people fail to realize this. TL;DR, whatevs, I wanted to get that off my chest, because libraries and librarians get a lot of shit for no reason.

edit: the Children's department is a whole 'nother issue.

A few years ago while unemployed, the Library was the only place that i had after applying for jobs, i will spend the rest of my day there reading the newspapers, checking out my mails. That helped a lot

bjork said:
Kinda off-topic, but: if I want to donate books to the library, can I just leave them at the entrance before they open? I don't wanna go fill out forms or some shit.

Just throw them through the windows. Maybe you'll knock out one of the asses wasting that precious library potential. Hell, maybe you'll hit NB as he finally finds a free PC. I'd watch that for a dollar. I bet everyone at that library hates him.

Troidal said:
Wait, so when did it become racist to point fingers at immigrants who can't speak English?

When I was living there, that's what everyone kept saying, "You live in America, learn the damn language!".

US is becoming too politically correct?

Not really. It's just the racists crying about it. No one else really cares. We're not French.

okno said:
I used to work in the 5th busiest library in Illinois five years ago (Cook Memorial Public), and the rate at which the condition of that library deteriorated was astounding. I had gone to that library from 2nd grade until I graduated high school (and quit my job, I was a high school page at the circulation counter), and my mother had worked there from the time we moved to the town until we moved out.

That library was a haven for my friends and me growing up. We'd go almost everyday just to escape the heat or brutal cold and we'd grab a bunch of books and magazines and hang out, and whatever we didn't finish we took home. Once I got into high school, I would go there every day to check the CD racks and the video racks to see what new and awesome random thing I could find. Once I got a job there, though, in '03, things went downhill, fast. DVDs were steadily becoming more commonplace, and the library had a pathetic DVD section, so, naturally, everyone began to demand the library update it's video section with DVDs instead of VHS. Contrary to popular belief, when you request something at a library, they can't just turn to someone and say, "I need this," and then give it to you. It costs money, and libraries have very tight budgets. What's unbeknownst to most people is that, while you do pay taxes which go towards paying for public services such libraries, very little of those tax dollars actually make it TO the library. The library's budget is entirely dictated by the town government, and anything the library wants has to be passed through by not JUST the tax paying voters, but also the town board. This leads to very angry patrons, because they can't have what they want and so they pressure the library until they get what they want. This leads to job and service cuts just so Soccer Mom can have Dora the Explorer DVD for her little girl.

Then the internet got huge. As if getting every new CD and DVD wasn't enough of a problem, now we HAD to get free, unlimited wi-fi, and we HAD to get brand new computers so everyone could go on MySpace. What ended up happening is just like in the OP: we gave the masses computers, and they trashed the fucking place. Everyone treated it like a rec room and would leave trash all over the place and would bring in drinks and food and leave them behind. People would get their books, along with their coffees, go sit at a computer and place the coffee on the stack of books and then, OOPS, down goes the coffee ruining a stack of books and a brand new computer that the library can't replace. But, oh no, people began to complain that one of the computers was down and couldn't be used. Threats were made, and the library got a new computer.

Dozens of people were laid off just because the library had no option but to update to the hot-new-thing everyone wanted. The library is a free-public service, but it still costs money. It's a business of it's own, and a lot of people fail to realize this. TL;DR, whatevs, I wanted to get that off my chest, because libraries and librarians get a lot of shit for no reason.

edit: the Children's department is a whole 'nother issue.

Sounds more like another symptom of shitty parenting. I can only imagine how crazy their children will 'parent' in the coming years. Fasten your seat belts, people. They're gonna kill us all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom