• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think calling someone "retarded" is alright but "faggot" gets you banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowden

Banned
Personally, I find both terms offensive, and try to remember who throws them around without thought as an easy means of insulting others, since I don't have any reason to waste my time on such people. Yet there seems to be this divide where certain things that, if you think about it, logically ought to be equally offensive, aren't.

Is it because we lack any real respect for those who are truly mentally retarded that we can use apply that term incorrectly without worry over who it may offend, or because we've been trained to mark a word like "faggot" as the hateful term it is, so much that there's an automatic impulse to punish whoever would dare to utter such?

Snowden

Barrett2

Retarded also has a non-pejorative meaning in current use, faggot no longer has a current non-pejorative meaning in use.

Costanza

Banned
2cr67pl.jpg

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
GAF has a large gay community however, I don't think many mentally disabled people read GAF.

Cyan

Banned
Count Dookkake said:
Because it is useful to describe someone as stupid in a pejorative manner.
This.

Also, as was mentioned the last few times we did this thread, trying to stomp out the word "retarded" is... well...... foolish. Whew, dodged a bullet there.

Whatever term we use to describe those of lesser mental ability will always acquire a pejorative usage. That's just how it goes. Idiot, imbecile, cretin, etc. Or more recently, special.

Rur0ni

funkmastergeneral said:
You don't call retarded people retards. it's bad taste. You call your friends retards when they're acting retarded
So you can call your friends
faggots
if they aren't gay and are behaving suspect? ;)

Ashitaka

Pankaks said:
GAF has a large gay community however, I don't think many mentally disabled people read GAF.

I'd argue that nearly everyone that reads GAF is mentally disabled, that's mostly GAF's fault though ;^P

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
I might agree with you OP, but just to point out WHY it probably doesn't - retard does not necessarily need to be a slur, if something is 'retarded' it can mean it is developing/growing at an unusually slow rate.

Kevtones

Aside from the debate, I know people that have chosen 'to be gay' to get closer to girls. Also, people don't usually choose to be retarded in a literal sense.

Neither word is particularly offensive to me personally but gotta' you've please the PC crowd somehow.

Pankaks said:

Came here to post this, and now that I'm seeing it I'm tempted to make some snarky comment like "You haven't been in the evolution debate threads have you."

LQX

Its not hard to notice that NeoGaf has a large community of homosexuals and a term like that might be offensive to them. I imagine its like the n-word. That said midgets and retards are people too and if you going to go out of your way to shield some from certain offensive words why not them also? Hypocritical but that's the world we live in.

Rur0ni

Replicant said:
Is this an attempt to see if you can use the F word without being banned?
It's an attempt to get the retarded word banned, along with anything else that can be grossly offensive. Next on the list, midget.

Wanace

I never use either, on the internet or in real life. There are far more creative insults that can be thrown around, I'd rather try to be somewhat original or entertaining.

I like the term "Fruitcake" for my insults. I'm certain that the fruitcake community is very upset at me but you can't please everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom