• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why do you think calling someone "retarded" is alright but "faggot" gets you banned?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to see "retarded" banned or anything. I'm in the crowd that wants as few things banned as possible for free speech's sake.

However, if its ever used hatefully and blatantly with a certain connotation -- the way "faggot" sometimes is -- then I'd trust the Mods here would exercise some sound judgement.

In my experience they do. Retard and retarded do seem to offend on average less people than the other-F-bomb, but I think thats to be expected. We have to figure out whos being a genuine asshole from those who are just being naive / daft.

Getting back to the retarded argument, here's what I think:

The distinction between the two terms is that there is nothing wrong with being gay. However, there is something wrong with being retarded. I don't mean this in a sense that retarded people are less human or unworthy of dignity. I mean that there is objectively something wrong with your development causing you to act stupid.

To then ascribe those traits to someone else as an insult in order to point out that they're acting dumb is not malicious against someone who is actually retarded.

If you come up with a "politically correct" term for the developmentally challenged, then that could and will easily be repurposed just like "retarded" was, because it's not about the term it's about the negative traits.

No intelligent person will say that homosexuality is a negative trait. Almost all people will agree that stupidity is.

Blackace said:
??

Yes it is for real.. Been around for ages..
Well it was news to me. And apparently I'm not the only one.

UraMallas

lawblob said:
Are you really that ignorant?
I'm ignorant? You either don't understand the meaning of that word, as well, or you're just being silly. I said I wouldn't get into this again (and I won't) but while I'm leaving I'd just like you to tell me the main similarities and differences in these two situations.

Your gay friend and you go out to eat. Do you use the term faggot?
Your mother's friend has a mentally disabled son who you are taking out to eat. Do you use the term retard?

Hitokage said:
No to both, but not for the same reasons as being discussed in this thread.
This reply intrigues me but I'm not biting! I said I'm leaving the thread and I am, there is a lot of ban bait in here...

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
UraMallas said:
Your mother's friend has a mentally disabled son who you are taking out to eat. Do you use the term retard?
No to both, but not for the same reasons as being discussed in this thread.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I.F. said:
Well it was news to me. And apparently I'm not the only one.

You have never heard the term "you're a fruitcake!" ro "Stop being a fruitcake!"?

Blackace said:
You have never heard the term "you're a fruitcake!" ro "Stop being a fruitcake!"?
Um, if you read my other posts I already said that I've heard it used as an insult but never in a context that made me think it meant "gay."

Blackace

I.F. said:
Um, if you read my other posts I already said that I've heard it used as an insult but never in a context that made me think it meant "gay."

But what form of an insult did you think it was, is what I want to know..

Barrett2

UraMallas said:
I'm ignorant? You either don't understand the meaning of that word, as well, or you're just being silly. I said I wouldn't get into this again (and I won't) but while I'm leaving I'd just like you to tell me the main similarities and differences in these two situations.

The Chinese will eat us alive..... charter schools are the only solution.

Blackace

UraMallas said:

Do you use the term faggot when you are with your mother's friend and son?

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Only people who don't have any sort of mental retardation get uppity when you call someone who is just an idiot retarded.

When will people start getting mad for the deaf dumb and blind people?

UraMallas

Blackace said:
Do you use the term faggot when you are with your mother's friend and son?
Do I? I am rather polite, I don't use faggot or retard unless I'm making an off-colored joke. Okay, there. I'm done now. :D

Also, I'm pretty anti-PC. Okay, NOW I'm done.

Blackace said:
The term "fruitcake" mostly is used for "crazy" but for quite sometime to be "fruity" can imply you are gay.. so the term just runs together...
Well I know that now. You wanted to know what I thought it was.

Barrett2

sprsk said:
Only people who don't have any sort of mental retardation get uppity when you call someone who is just an idiot retarded.

When will people start getting mad for the deaf dumb and blind people?

The Miracle Worker was great slapstick. Remember when she started throwing forks?

Should we ban "idiot", "imbecile" and "moron" as well?

If the use of "retard" is banned I'll be sure to start using "special" and "challenged" instead.

The_Joint

Drinky doesn't care. He uses the word fagot without fear of reprisal. That's why Drinky's cool.

So if we all become like Drinky, which is what every true GAFFER should aspire to, then it will all be cool. Dig?

Speevy

Banned
The_Joint said:
Drinky doesn't care. He uses the word fagot without fear of reprisal. That's why Drinky's cool.

So if we all become like Drinky, which is what every true GAFFER should aspire to, then it will all be cool. Dig?

Former admins and gaming journalists that post once every few months?

kings-ian-mcshane_l.jpg

First thing I thought of.

Rorschach

Whenever someone uses "fruitcake" I hear it in Chief Wiggim's voice.

Homer: The alien has a sweet heavenly voice. Like Urkel. And he appears every Friday night. Like Urkel.

Wiggum: Wow, your story is very compelling, Mr. Jackass. I mean, uh, Simpson. So I'll just type it up on my invisible typewriter.

Homer: You don't have to humiliate me.

Man: I just torched a building downtown and I'm afraid I'll do it again.

Wiggum: Oh, yeah, right. I'll just type it up on my invisible typewriter. Fruit cake.
:lol

Phobophile said:
You're a cigarette! >:|

Mumei

Regarding fruit cake or fruit:

I think that the association has to do with the fact that homosexuality was considered indicative of mental illness for some period, and could result in involuntary institutionalization.

In Canada, for instance, one of the creations of the anti-gay witch-hunts of the 1950s was "the Fruit Machine," which was designed to detect homosexuals among Canadian civil servants. It worked by measuring how the pupils of a person's eyes changed size in response to sexual stimuli. The logic was that a photograph of a nude male would cause a male homosexual's pupils to expand.

It lasted about four years and was, needless to say, completely ineffective.

NumberTwo

Paper or plastic?
sprsk said:
That is redundant seeing as that idiocy is a form of retardation, and also my point. If you(not you sprsk) feel that this board needs to forbid the use of the word "retard" in all it's variances, be ready to give up the words "stupid", "idiot", and "moron". Just because they are widely accepted words in modern society doesn't change their meanings. They are still all technically psychological words used to describe a person of low intelligence. And I am curious OP, how many times have you used those words?

Idiot:
# A person of profound mental retardation having a mental age below three years and generally being unable to learn connected speech or guard against common dangers. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Moron:
Psychology. A person of mild mental retardation having a mental age of from 7 to 12 years and generally having communication and social skills enabling some degree of academic or vocational education. The term belongs to a classification system no longer in use and is now considered offensive.

Stupid:
lacking or marked by lack of intellectual acuity

Fake edit: Beaten like a redheaded stepchild.

Wraith

I.F. said:
Well I know that now. You wanted to know what I thought it was.

I'm in the same boat as you. I had heard fruit used toward homosexuals but fruitcake has always meant crazy to me. I've never heard fruitcake used to describe homosexuals.

MadFerIt

Personally if you don't have the brains to come up with a better insult or term of endearment than "retard" or "faggot", you shouldn't even bother eh? Not even counting how offensive the terms are.

Trurl

Banned
Tkawsome said:
Maybe someone can clear this up, but how come the word "retard" is offensive, but stupid, idiot, and moron are perfectly fine? They were all used to classify people with a low IQ, so what happened that caused the word to warrant blacklisting, while the others are used casually?
Suppose that a boy has down's, would people be likely to call him an idiot or a moron? Nowadays those words are mostly used for developmentally normal people that act in a foolish way. Retard is different.

To be honest, I'm sort of playing Devil's advocate.

I.F. said:
"Fruitcake" has always meant crazy for as long as I can remember. Since when have people been trying to turn it into something offensive for homosexuals? Do you have a source for that?

And more to the point, I think of it as a generic insult without specific meaning - I don't use it when someone is acting particularly nutty, it's a put-down like "cupcake."

You really didn't know fruitcake was one of many derogatory terms used to descibe homosexuals?

wow.

Calcaneus

Trurl said:
Suppose that a boy has down's, would people be likely to call him an idiot or a moron? Nowadays those words are mostly used for developmentally normal people that act in a foolish way. Retard is different.

In a way that makes sense, for most people there is a real difference between "retard" and "moron".

Trurl said:

I would wager that if someone was willing to make fun of someone with a learning disability (which, luckily, I haven't seen), they would call them all of those words.

Wraith said:
I'm in the same boat as you. I had heard fruit used toward homosexuals but fruitcake has always meant crazy to me. I've never heard fruitcake used to describe homosexuals.
Same.

I hate the word "retard," but I've come to accept that younger people mostly use "retarded" non-pejoratively. I also feel that "gay" is evolving, like it or not.

Calcaneus

I.F. said:
If it'll make people happy I'll gladly accept a week ban. I would say month, but I have to get my Spread contribution in.
Why? If you truly didn't know of that meaning, then there's really no problem, at least not one that you should be banned for.

Chumly

Tkawsome said:
Maybe someone can clear this up, but how come the word "retard" is offensive, but stupid, idiot, and moron are perfectly fine? They were all used to classify people with a low IQ, so what happened that caused the word to warrant blacklisting, while the others are used casually?
Stupid, Idiot and Moron are not used to currently describe someone with developmental disabilities but a lot of people still use the word retard/retardation to describe someone with developmental disabilities even though the word is no longer used. A lot of people are pushing for a ban to get greater awareness that the term is no longer used and its no longer appropriate to use it to describe someone. Kind of like the term faggot which is never appropriate to describe someone who is gay (even if they are gay) its never appropriate to describe someone as a retard (even if they have developmental disabilities).

lately, i've noticed that people use faggot as a generalized curse word... like when some chick cuts in line at a mall store... or when some random cabbie cuts someone off in traffic, etc...

nyong

Banned
The Faceless Master said:
lately, i've noticed that people use faggot as a generalized curse word... like when some chick cuts in line at a mall store... or when some random cabbie cuts someone off in traffic, etc...

Yeah, I think it's making a come back. Pretty much any ultra taboo word is going to get picked up by the youth and used ad nauseum for effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom