• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix Q1 Earnings Report

Wow the third party crushed the the DS first week, and first 3 week sales.

Crisis Core has actually sold that many, as well as Kingdom Hearts Chain of Memories!!! (and Americans gobbled that game up more than the other countries!)

Though is Chain of Memories shipments what they are anticipating for 358/2 Days, I wonder.

dolemite

They still managed to lose money after DQ IX?
EDIT: oops, it launched on July 11th after the end of the reported quarter.

They spelled Mario Kart wrong.

Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories almost sold a million in America. That's pretty cool
seeing as how it's the best game in the series

test_account said:
Ye, i agree. I didnt even know that Square Enix would publish Batman Arkham Asylum before now :)

Why is Dragon Quest Joker mentioned there? Can someone explain that graph to me?

Eidos published it.

Kifimbo

test_account said:
Ye, i agree. I didnt even know that Square Enix would publish Batman Arkham Asylum before now :)

Why is Dragon Quest Joker mentioned there? Can someone explain that graph to me?

They are showing that DS games have legs. If Dragon Quest IX follows the same pattern as Dragon Quest Joker, the game will sell a lot more than 3.2 millions.

DMeisterJ

Banned
With all the units Crisis Core sold, why is SE taking their sweet old time with BBS, Agito, and PE3?

Makes no sense

lantus

Can someone point me to how well Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days has done critically overseas? Thinking it might be my first DS game in awhile.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
lantus said:
Can someone point me to how well Kingdom Hearts 358/2 days has done critically overseas? Thinking it might be my first DS game in awhile.

It hasn't been released outside Japan, so there are no reviews. The notoriously unreliable Famitsu review was 9 / 9 / 9 / 9 (36/40). I'm not sure that many people on GAF have picked it up to provide impressions either.

CHRP718

Banned
DMeisterJ said:
With all the units Crisis Core sold, why is SE taking their sweet old time with BBS, Agito, and PE3?

Makes no sense
yoichi-wada-square-enix.jpg

Deku

Banned
test_account said:

Launch = Month 1.

It's not saying DQ Monsters Joker outsold DQ VIII by a factor of 1.7, its saying that after the initial burst of purchases (1st month) DQ VIII managed to add 40% more units sold in the next 11 months.

While DQ Monsters Joker more than doubled its LTD after the first month by 140% to be exact.

I think this is describing SE's thinking internally on how DQ IX might perform. We shall see if it pans out for them.

DMeisterJ said:

Makes no sense

I do think a large part of Crisis Core's success was the "Final Fantasy VII" bit of the title, though. I'd be surprised if any of them did that well worldwide. Birth By Sleep has a chance, but I think the 'casual' audience that made KH1, 2 and even CoM so successful aren't PSP owners (except in Japan). Obviously the hardcore and RPG faithful will pick it up, but the other KH games had an extra boost from Disney lovin' kids and casual gamers.

test_account

XP-39C²
Fimbulvetr said:
Eidos published it.
Oh, i thought that Eidos developed it. So Square Enix is developing Batman Arkham Asylum and Eidos is publishing it?

Kifimbo said:
They are showing that DS games have legs. If Dragon Quest IX follows the same pattern as Dragon Quest Joker, the game will sell a lot more than 3.2 millions.
Ah ok, so that graph shows how the legs was for Dragon Quest Joker and Dragon Quest VIII? Then i understand :) Thanks for the info! :) Ye, i am wondering how long legs Dragon Quest IX will have.

Deku said:
Launch = Month 1.

It's not saying DQ Monsters Joker outsold DQ VIII by a factor of 1.7, its saying that after the initial burst of purchases (1st month) DQ VIII managed to add 40% more units sold in the next 11 months.

While DQ Monsters Joker more than doubled its LTD after the first month by 140% to be exact.

I think this is describing SE's thinking internally on how DQ IX might perform. We shall see if it pans out for them.
Ye, Dragon Quest Joker sold like 1.5 million copies in total if i am not mistaken while Dragon Quest VIII sold over 3 million copies in total. I saw there were some percentage numbers to the left in that graph, but i didnt understand what the graph showed. But i understand it now, thanks to your's and Kifimbo's explanation. Thanks for the info to the both of you! :)

Ye, i am also interested to see how long legs Dragon Quest IX will have :)

rataven

Good numbers for KH: CoM. A bit surprised since it didn't seem to get much buzz.

Handhelds are definitely where it's at for SE this gen though.

test_account

XP-39C²
Teetris said:
So, they lose money?
I was wondering a bit about this too, but if i am not mistaken, i think that "net income" is what determain if they made money or not, so i guess that they lost money since the net income is on the negative side :\

Road

13 million sold in Japan in the fiscal year? Am I interpreting that right?

Even if they sell 5 million of DQIX and 2.5 million of FFXIII, it would still be 5.5 million left to sell to reach that expectation. I don't know how they'd do that.

test_account said:
I was wondering a bit about this too, but if i am not mistaken, i think that "net income" is what determain if they made money or not, so i guess that they lost money since the net income is on the negative side :\
S-E owns Eidos now. I imagine that acquisition is where a chunk of this loss is coming from. That's also why they list Batman. Eidos developed, Eidos publishing, but Eidos == SE now.

MotherFan

What is amusement? Low profit margin for all the rev that goes into that. Also, Cellphone seems to be pretty good, how has it performed in the past?

Opiate

Segata Sanshiro said:
S-E owns Eidos now. I imagine that acquisition is where a chunk of this loss is coming from. That's also why they list Batman. Eidos developed, Eidos publishing, but Eidos == SE now.

No, they list no losses from the Eidos acquisition. Unless M&A are prorated, there is no net gain/loss.

Think of it this way: I pay 100 dollars for a gold ring. I am now 100 dollars less rich, but I own gold that is worth 100 dollars that I could, in theory, sell. Am I richer or poorer than I was before? The answer, in accounting terms, is "neither."

Evaluating M&A in any other way isn't feasible. Imagine if Microsoft had succeeded in acquiring Yahoo: would they honestly have listed a 42 billion dollar loss that quarter? Of course not. That isn't meaningful.

The exception to this is when you buy something that you later decide is worth less than you thought. For example, I buy a gold ring, and later find that the gold in it is not as pure as I once thought. My 100 dollar ring could only be resold for 60 dollars, so I would list a net loss of 40 dollars.

SE just flat out lost money in their games division.

MotherFan

Opiate said:
No, they list no losses from the Eidos acquisition. Unless M&A are prorated, there is no net gain/loss.

Think of it this way: I pay 100 dollars for a gold ring. I am now 100 dollars less rich, but I own gold that is worth 100 dollars that I could, in theory, sell. Am I richer or poorer than I was before?

Evaluating M&A in any other way isn't feasible. Imagine if Microsoft had succeeded in acquiring Yahoo: would they honestly have listed a 42 billion dollar loss that quarter? Of course not. That isn't meaningful.

The exception to this is when you buy something that you later decide is worth less than you thought. For example, I buy a gold ring, and later find that the gold in it is not as pure as I once thought. My 100 dollar ring could only be resold for 60 dollars, so I would list a net loss of 40 dollars.

SE just flat out lost money in their games division.

What was released Q1?

duckroll

DMeisterJ said:

Makes no sense

I don't see how the success of Crisis Core would have any impact on how much faster they can develop something. In fact, before the success of Crisis Core, Agito and 3rd Birthday were both mobile games. It is likely that the success of Crisis Core had a part to play in the decision to move them to the PSP in the first place. Other than success of a title having an impact on the platform future titles are put on, I don't think they can have much of an impact on how FAST something comes out.

FFX was a success on the PS2, so why did they take so long to release FFXII? DQVIII was such a huge success on the PS2, why didn't DQIX come out on the PS2 the year after that? WHY WHY WHY? Stop asking dumb questions. :p

DMeisterJ

Banned
duckroll said:
I don't see how the success of Crisis Core would have any impact on how much faster they can develop something. In fact, before the success of Crisis Core, Agito and 3rd Birthday were both mobile games. It is likely that the success of Crisis Core had a part to play in the decision to move them to the PSP in the first place. Other than success of a title having an impact on the platform future titles are put on, I don't think they can have much of an impact on how FAST something comes out.

FFX was a success on the PS2, so why did they take so long to release FFXII? DQVIII was such a huge success on the PS2, why didn't DQIX come out on the PS2 the year after that? WHY WHY WHY? Stop asking dumb questions. :p
Yeah, I get it, but games like TLR were a huge waste of time and didn't sell extraordinarily well, or well at all, and the time and resources spent developing that game could have went to help faster output of their lineup of games... I mean BBS is using the CC engine, so what's the reason were still waiting on a game that already has the ground work completed?

Agito I get, since XIII isn't out, but why haven't we seen any screens of 3rd Birthday? Is it even in development?

I just feel like SE's output needs a real kick in the balls in order to speed up.

Johann

test_account said:
Oh, i thought that Eidos developed it. So Square Enix is developing Batman Arkham Asylum and Eidos is publishing it?

Rocksteady Studios, a privately owned game developer, was contracted by Eidos and Warner Bros. Interactive to develop the game.

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, I get it, but games like TLR were a huge waste of time and didn't sell extraordinarily well, or well at all, and the time and resources spent developing that game could have went to help faster output of their lineup of games... I mean BBS is using the CC engine, so what's the reason were still waiting on a game that already has the ground work completed?

Agito I get, since XIII isn't out, but why haven't we seen any screens of 3rd Birthday? Is it even in development?

I just feel like SE's output needs a real kick in the balls in order to speed up.

The Last Remnant was a test bed for Square-Enix in regards to using middleware to speed up development, designing for a worldwide audience, and targeting a simultaneous release. It was a very important project in deciding the future of the company.

Birth Before Sleep's development got a wrench thrown into it by Re: Chain of Memories. 3rd Birthday began development as a cellphone game.

duckroll

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, I get it, but games like TLR were a huge waste of time and didn't sell extraordinarily well, or well at all, and the time and resources spent developing that game could have went to help faster output of their lineup of games...

No, that's not how it works. Considering how none of the people who worked on TLR are even working on any of the PSP titles, I don't see how it has an impact on the output of say, BbS. Games take time to make.

MotherFan said:
What is amusement? Low profit margin for all the rev that goes into that. Also, Cellphone seems to be pretty good, how has it performed in the past?

Dont they have little game/arcade type machines or something? Dont a few of the other companies exclude this profit from "games" as well?

batbeg

DMeisterJ said:
Yeah, I get it, but games like TLR were a huge waste of time

Wrong.

DMeisterJ said:
and didn't sell extraordinarily well, or well at all,

Wrong.

and the time and resources spent developing that game could have went to help faster output of their lineup of games...

HAT-TRICK!

DMeisterJ said:
I mean BBS is using the CC engine, so what's the reason were still waiting on a game that already has the ground work completed?

...having an engine is the ground work, I guess so, yeah... but it's like the foundations for a house being built. There's still, you know, a house to be built. Same reason your last point was wrong; throw thousands of men at a house and you just get a few dozen working and a bunch doing nothing.

DMeisterJ said:

I might be wrong, so take it with a grain of salt, but I think 3rd Birthday is being developed by an outside developer as matters stand. And no, we've not really seen any media on it.

DMeisterJ said:

I believe Wada has mentioned this. There are obvious reasons for why they can't have ungodly speed, but they also just kind of fell behind with this generation. God knows why.

CTLance

"Mario Cart". Heh. Oddly amusing, that.

SE expects great things from DQ9. Should it really stick to the DQJ model then they'd rake it in, big time.

...that "sold" in the DQ9 numbers is "sold to retailers", as usual, right? So does that mean that SE was "sitting" on 110k copies in August?

Rlan

I've noticed a severe lack of any mention of digital titles in either Square Enix or Konami's reports when looking forward. No mention of Taito or Hudson - are they considered seperate entities with their own Earnings?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Rlan said:
I've noticed a severe lack of any mention of digital titles in either Square Enix or Konami's reports when looking forward. No mention of Taito or Hudson - are they considered seperate entities with their own Earnings?
Well, Hudson has its own investor relations page here: http://www.hudson.co.jp/corp/

I can't read the page though, so I'm not sure if it states that they have their own earning reports or not.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
batbeg said:
Wrong.

Wrong.

HAT-TRICK!

You may believe that The Last Remnant was a glorious success. I'd say it was a failure. SE's idea was to see if they could create a multiplatform JRPG with a 3rd party engine (UE3) in order to save time and money. They were aiming to release three versions at the same time, but that never happened. They got the 360 version out first. The tech in the game was bad. The PC version had to be released later and the PS3 version didn't make it out the door because they simply weren't able to optimize UE3.

Sales were nothing to write home about too. The 360 version got poor review and wasn't a big seller. Not being able to finish the PS3 version cost SE hundreds of thousands potential sales in their own Japanse market. It also meant that this experiment with 3rd party engines failed completely. SE now has an internally built engine which outperforms UE3 (juding by the visuals in the FF13 demo) so there won't be any more UE3 experiments.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
kruis said:
You may believe that The Last Remnant was a glorious success. I'd say it was a failure. SE's idea was to see if they could create a multiplatform JRPG with a 3rd party engine (UE3) in order to save time and money. They were aiming to release three versions at the same time, but that never happened. They got the 360 version out first. The tech in the game was bad. The PC version had to be released later and the PS3 version didn't make it out the door because they simply weren't able to optimize UE3.

Sales were nothing to write home about too. The 360 version got poor review and wasn't a big seller. Not being able to finish the PS3 version cost SE hundreds of thousands potential sales in their own Japanse market. It also meant that this experiment with 3rd party engines failed completely. SE now has an internally built engine which outperforms UE3 (juding by the visuals in the FF13 demo) so there won't be any more UE3 experiments.

+ it got outsold by almost any ds/psp port/remake from se....
i can see why se is puttin all their games besides of some flagship titles like the main ff on handhelds...

batbeg

kruis said:

You're assuming a lot of things here. Yes it was an experiment to use middleware in the meantime, but the team who used it had never used any sort of Final Fantasy engine to begin withm so their Crystal Tools is irrelevant here. For all we know it still was cheaper for them to use UE3 than to create their own or waste time waiting on Crystal Tools - we can't know, one way or the other.

And the sales were pretty good. It sold 580,000 copies, which isn't exactly terrible. To say it didn't sell well at all is just wrong.

And who gives a fuck what the reviewers said? Here on GAF, that forum made up of people who play games you know, it had a wonderful reception.

Regardless of our opinions on the matter, all three of his points were wrong, and I sure as hell never said it was a huge success. It was a fucking awesome game, though.

duckroll

Calling Last Remnant a -failure- is pretty funny. If you want a real failure, go look at Sigma Harmonics. :p

Blood of Bahamut is shaping up to be another one.

Top Bottom