• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

Crisis

Banned
I know that there's a lot of hysteria out there surrounding PS3 and stuff right now but I thought it was interesting that they are completely rebranding the PlayStation franchise. Firstly the Spiderman font is gone from everything it seems.

5vakbo.jpg

They also don't spell it as "PLAYSTATION 3" anymore in their press release. It's now "PlayStation 3" which means the spiderman font on the game boxes are gone too. I've asked a couple of times now but it seems like this is a new boxart style for PS3 titles as well.
B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

I find it weird that they'd leave the spidey font on the case itself but they've probably got a billion cases already made.

Xenomorph

Banned
Just as long as they keep the electronic "Bong" PS symbol at the beginning of every commercial I'm ok. I like the new PSN logo/sound though.

It's weird. I like the logo in that picture, but I don't like it on the system. I can't explain it.

I wonder if those new boxes are coming to the US.

Vinci

Danish
Cat in the Hat said:
Is the first page all Sony yet?

Edging closer. I don't see why the 'rebranding' needs its own thread when the Slim thread is covering this pretty well already, but... whatever.

Gamecocks625 said:
I like the new approach/branding
Agreed. It reminds me a lot of when Sega shifted over to the black Dreamcast game cases that were much nicer than the white ones. Smart decisions all around.

Septimus

I don't understand this. What is going to happen to the shortened PS3 spiderman logo? (The one on all current ads, commercials, trailers, etc.) Is it gonna be replaced by the rounded new PS3 logo?

Neo Samus

At fisrt I didn't like the new logo because I had only see it stamped on the slim. but seeing that image in the OP, I like it now. MUCH better than the Spidey font.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
I like the switch to PlayStation 3 over PLAYSTATION 3. The capitalization always bugged me.

rataven

I like the new branding.

The new "PS3" logo sticks out. The long spidey "PLAYSTATION 3" logo always got lost on ads. 360, Wii, PS2 stood out, but you had to search for the PS3. I hated that and thought it was incredibly dumb that Sony's marketing department let it happen.

Dragon

Banned
Vinci said:
Edging closer. I don't see why the 'rebranding' needs its own thread when the Slim thread is covering this pretty well already, but... whatever.

Because the slim is just a part of the whole? It isn't just the Slim that's having the new branding as someone else has pointed out. I don't see what the big deal is, another thread.

aparisi2274

Crisis said:
I find it weird that they'd leave the spidey font on the case itself but they've probably got a billion cases already made.

Do you know how many of those Spidey font cases have been manufactured already... a TON!! They are not just going to throw those away. They will use them until stock runs out and then start making jewel cases with the new font.

test_account

XP-39C²
Crisis said:
They also don't spell it as "PLAYSTATION 3" anymore in their press release. It's now "PlayStation 3" which means the spiderman font on the game boxes are gone too. I've asked a couple of times now but it seems like this is a new boxart style for PS3 titles as well.
http://z2-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B002K8Q93C.01._SX581_SCLZZZZZZZ_V233873371_.jpg

Will they change the PS3 games' boxes with the "Playstation 3" logo on top, or is this just for some games? I hope that they will at least keep the "Playstation 3" logo on the side like the current PS3 games boxes look like, since i like they how the current PS3 games boxes looks like :)

Vinci

Danish
TheBranca18 said:
Because the slim is just a part of the whole? It isn't just the Slim that's having the new branding as someone else has pointed out. I don't see what the big deal is, another thread.

It just feels a little too emphatic, but... oh well.

Kccitystar

I too approve of the new branding. All I want to know now is if they plan on issuing games with the rebranded cover art when they restock? I mean, LBP and a handful of other games I own have the "PLAYSTATION Network" text, and a lot of PS3 titles this year have the proper formatting for PlayStation Network.

Iunno, I like uniformity with my game covers.

inner-G

Banned
The look/feel of the new font probably showed in focus groups to appeal to a wider demographic* than the spidey font.

* - wider demographic: women, casuals, seniors, etc. not 18-34 yr. old males.

Takao

Banned
alr1ghtstart said:
Except that Eyepet box has the spidey font on the case.

They aren't Atari. They're not just going to toss out tonnes of old cases because it doesn't fit with the current branding.

Dyne

You have no idea how pissed I was at the Spiderman font when the PS3 first came out. I'm glad that they finally fixed it.

Nachkebia

Banned
I Like the new brand, I mean it matches the machine itself like the phat matched but original one was awful, I have to say though PS2 brand is probably best brand Sony has ever had....

Top Bottom