• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
jakeellis01 said:
am i the only one who likes the old logo better?

hope they still keep the old logo on some things like games boxarts.... and game bootups

You do realize it's just the font they used on the PS2 and PSP but curvy... right?

alba

Little is the new Big
I still don't like the carving inside the slim, they should've gone with the same style as the phat except with the new logo and vertically too. But I guess most people will look past that, personal taste :)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
It's funny when I logged on this afternoon I thought "Holy shit is this GAF PS3 subforum?" :lol It's all the talk today on the first page!

Legendbyname

Neo Member
Could firmware 3.0 change the boot up screen with all previous games? I'm asking cause I know far too little about software.

I'd like to get rid of the "chime" that accompanies the Spiderman font as well. I've always preferred the "bloop".

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I'm kinda ticked they are changing the game boxes...now everything is going to look different. Still, I guess its not as bad as during the PS1 days when they changed the cases themselves at least twice.

OP reminds me of this

full-powerade-logo-blue.jpg

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
I loved the reason from Sony for spelling it ''PLAYSTATION 3''. It didn't really help them and now they're back to PlayStation. :lol

trinest

Why don't they just use the Playstation logo with a cubed sign- seriously the original logo will always represent playstation.

Legendbyname said:
Could firmware 3.0 change the boot up screen with all previous games? I'm asking cause I know far too little about software.

I'd like to get rid of the "chime" that accompanies the Spiderman font as well. I've always preferred the "bloop".

If they're gonna change anything, they need to rock it oldschool son!

Haunted

Sweet vindication! I remember being burned alive for suggesting that Sony and the PS3 are in for a rebranding last year.

Never liked the Spiderman font. *thumbs up*

Massa

Legendbyname said:

They could probably change it if they wanted to, that screen is played by the PS3 OS and not games.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
WasteLand Soldier said:
OP reminds me of this

full-powerade-logo-blue.jpg
I love the blue one. Mountain Blast i think.
So damn good!

This is what it should have looked like from the beginning. Sony is such a style-oriented company I was really surprised that the terrible spiderman font actually made it to the PS3 without someone somewhere in Sony saying "no fucking way!".

Though I still like the right angles and straight lines of the PS2 and PSP logos better than this.

Snowden

Banned
It's so nice to see some cohesion in the design again. Hope the Spider-Man font can be expunged completely as soon as possible wherever its been able to maintain a foothold. Fix the cases, fix the start-up. Fix it all!

My one disappointment with the new logo is that they went the PSP route with the generic font underneath the logo. The PS family font is perfect. I don't understand why they're so resistant to making more prominent use of it.

brandonh83 said:
I just hope the new boxes get rid of that damn red square on the side I mean holy fuck that shit is ugly.
Always reminds me the shitty stickers that identified generic game cases in rental stores. Hate it.

THANK GOD, this branding mess that Sony´s been all these years really made them look like they were run by a bunch of silly monkeys. Now they´re on the right path... although i personally think it´s too late for them to make them appealing again but, at least is something. And fuck spiderman and it´s stupid font

RainbowByte

Neo Member
omg finally, its about damn time.
I always wondered at release why they used that damn spiderman font, instead of something like the VAIO font/stylization.

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Yea I hope they drop the old font totally and go with the brand right on the art...

ps3boxmock.jpg

I really like it, simple and nice, maybe put the red waves in the background and shrink the PlayStation Network text.

Stumpokapow said:
Well they certainly learn from their mistakes. Spiderman font, gone. Using different fonts for every piece of branding, gone. Clock/battery problem, gone. Price, on its way down. Size, on its way down.

Cutting $300 off the price of a device in 3 years is really really impressive. Nothing like the stench of losing money and mindshare to light a fire under a big company's feet.

Very true. I've had very little positive to say about any aspect of Sony's strategy this generation, but the changes rolled out today are 100% good and all moving in the right direction. This is a huge volley and it was very smart to put this rebranding and a huge pricedrop right on top of each other.

Firestorm said:
So who died and put someone with actual qualifications in charge?

Ken Kutaragi?

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Wish they had just dropped the red motif altogether.

Never liked the red/black combination for any console, not even Genesis. Way too ominous. Shit has Empire written all over it.

Anyone else notice they've been shoehorning blue into almost everything PS3 related the last couple of years, as if regretting their initial decision. I'd prefer it if they just use that color alone, but I'm guessing that's more associated with the Wii brand now.

The ugly redness is my only real beef though. The logo and overall slickness of the re-branding is leaps and bounds above the original. It really does feel refreshing.

MercuryLS

Banned
SCEI is slowly trying to undo everything Kutaragi did :/

God knows that the PS3 Slim could have used his influence in the design department though, yeesh.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
MercuryLS said:

God knows that the PS3 Slim could have used his influence in the design department though, yeesh.
That's EXACTLY what they're doing :lol

Heck, even the Spider-Man font was due to Kutaragi.

Snowden

Banned
BulletSmoke said:
I really like it, simple and nice, maybe put the red waves in the background and shrink the PlayStation Network text.
Believe they'd keep the "PS3" logo up on the plastic case, since that blank space can be left available for the "Only on PlayStation" tag. For the US, at least.

Snaku

Banned
So glad to see the Spider-Man logo be replaced with a more traditional PlayStation logo. I still don't understand why they tried re-branding the console in the first place.

Averon

MercuryLS said:

Isn't that a good thing? :lol

bigGIRLSblouse said:
Yea I hope they drop the old font totally and go with the brand right on the art...

ps3boxmock.jpg

This is such a breath of fresh air from the clostraphobic mess of a boxart on LBP.

Those red tabs also bugged the hell out of me since the first night I saw them (at Walmart, 3am or so, day 3 of PS3 campout). Please ditch those as well.

Snowden

Banned
The other thread showing off some Gundam game with the new cover style was closed. Couldn't tell from the blurry shot, but it didn't look like the Spider-Man font was embossed on the plastic.

Nope, can't say I really like it much better if at all. I'm kind of natural on the overall design on both the old and the new but...

....now I got two different insignia game boxes?

My obsessive compulsive behavior side says screw you, pal!

Ploid 3.0

Unsorted_Bird-DeadTitNooo.jpg.small.jpg

Man I really really love the way the current ps3 boxes are. I just don't care for the top border. Man it's so slick on the side, having a top border makes it look cheap and ugly. /sigh

kay

Snowden said:
The other thread showing off some Gundam game with the new cover style was closed. Couldn't tell from the blurry shot, but it didn't look like the Spider-Man font was embossed on the plastic.
Nope, it isn't there. It's just a render, so it could be there on the real thing. You can barely see it anyways so it won't really matter if they leave it there or not.

Snowden

Banned
kay said:
You can barely see it anyways so it won't really matter if they leave it there or not.
That's why I was wondering. Makes sense for them to run through the stockpile.

Suppose it could be a similar situation with the redesigned Blu-Ray movie cases; every so often, there will be a movie that still releases with the original style.

Ploid 3.0 said:
I just don't care for the top border. Man it's so slick on the side, having a top border makes it look cheap and ugly. /sigh
Thanks to the "Only on PlayStation" and "PlayStation Network" branding, US gets vertical and horizontal borders with the old style. It looks like a shitty mess.

Top Bottom