• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

near

Gold Member
Er, isn't the Eyepet box like that because it's bundled in a larger box with the PlayStation Eye?

KtSlime

I hate to say it, but back in 2005 when they showed the PS3 with the spiderman font, I almost decided to not buy it. Oh well, I've gotten used to it, but back at the time I thought it was gross, especially because the Spiderman movies were so popular and EVERYONE knew the font.

topofuji

Banned
Well the "Spiderman" logo isn't completely gone, it's still on the transparent plastic part of the box. But the new boxes, if that's final, look so...empty. It looks like it's not even a game, but a DVD or Blu-Ray release or something.
There's no distinct banner for the console logo. I hope that isn't final.

And as for the whole 'rebranding'...we said it would happen...2009 is the real year Sony really begins the return as king. (Alright am I going too far??)

Crisis

Banned
Well like I said in the OP the original Spiderman font is still at the top of the plastic on the boxes but you literally cannot find it anywhere else in their new advertisements. It's all "PlayStation 3" and "PS3" with the new logo right now. I really think that they've just printed so many plastic cases for PS3 games in advance that they can't afford to just toss all of them out and use new ones. But frankly I don't want them to have PS3 written all over the box. Look at this for example:

littlebigplanet.jpg

PlayStation appears three different times on one cover. And every single one of them is a different font. That's not even counting the PLAYSTATION 3 in spidey-font on the top of the box itself or the ones on the back. I think they should stick with the original logo at the top of the boxes until they run out and then just use "PS3" in its place. It keeps everything really clean.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Well they certainly learn from their mistakes. Spiderman font, gone. Using different fonts for every piece of branding, gone. Clock/battery problem, gone. Price, on its way down. Size, on its way down.

Cutting $300 off the price of a device in 3 years is really really impressive. Nothing like the stench of losing money and mindshare to light a fire under a big company's feet.

topofuji said:
And as for the whole 'rebranding'...we said it would happen...2009 is the real year Sony really begins the return as king. (Alright am I going too far??)

Yes but that's not surprising because you're a truly terrible poster.

Blueblur1

brandonh83 said:
I just hope the new boxes get rid of that damn red square on the side I mean holy fuck that shit is ugly.
You must follow m3wthr33 on Twitter because he mentioned the same exact thing. :lol

daycru

topofuji said:
Man, this must be one hell of a logo.

Vinci

Danish
Stumpokapow said:
Well they certainly learn from their mistakes. Spiderman font, gone. Using different fonts for every piece of branding, gone. Clock/battery problem, gone. Price, on its way down. Size, on its way down.

Cutting $300 off the price of a device in 3 years is really really impressive. Nothing like the stench of losing money and mindshare to light a fire under a big company's feet.

I'm really glad to see them being so aggressive finally. It's a nice change.

topofuji

Banned
Nekofrog said:
PS3 slim boot sequence needs the old PS1 boot sequence.

best.boot.sequence.ever

Well at E3, all the games shown had the classic PS1 "Play-Sta-Tion" female voice that was used back in PS1 commercials.
Let's hope that, and the original bootup sequence (which you can't even see unless you play on the original PS1 - PS2/PS3 BC only shows the second part of the sequence)

jakeellis01

am i the only one who likes the old logo better?

hope they still keep the old logo on some things like games boxarts.... and game bootups

Blueblur1 said:
You must follow m3wthr33 on Twitter because he mentioned the same exact thing. :lol

EVERYONE should mention it and bitch about it so that hopefully one day that bacteria will be sucked into the hell void where it belongs.

rataven

Stumpokapow said:

Could it be.....that Sony actually listened? I say this without sarcasm. I swear, their fans yammered about this for YEARS, and it's like today, it's finally clicked.

And the stench of losing money probably pushed them just a bit. w/ sarcasm

topofuji

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Yes but that's not surprising because you're a truly terrible poster.

Have we met before?

sn00zer

This barely qualifies as rebranding...PLAYSTATION3 to PlayStation 3...i mean really?

Now Blackwater changing their name to Xe, thats rebranding

iidesuyo

By the way, probably somewhat OT, but am I the only one who is impressed that Sony presented this major revision at a German/European convention? This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. A lot has happened in the past few years regarding the European market.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
rataven said:
Could it be.....that Sony actually listened? I say this without sarcasm. I swear, their fans yammered about this for YEARS, and it's like today, it's finally clicked.

Yep.

Actually, to be honest, Sony's done a fairly good job all generation of listening. The initial $100 price cut was quite responsive, even though it cost them an enormous amount of money. They got caught with their pants down on rumble, on achievements, on actually having an online community, on digitally downloaded games, on operating system functionality... and they've really moved aggressively to make up for their mistakes.

I'm of the firm opinion that Sony made an enormous amount of bad decisions before launching the PS3. Some still linger--firmware updates are huge, patches are huge, games have mandatory install, even with this price cut the system is still fairly high priced--but pretty much all of the issues with PS3 that exist now are not the result of post-launch fumbling, but instead pre-launch fumbling. Even stuff like no cross-game chat... I believe Sony when they say that it's hard to pull these things off, and that's because they made architectural mistakes to begin with, but they really have tried to fix them.

Honestly, actually, I think all three companies have been relatively responsive to consumers keeping in mind 1) the fuckups they made pre-launch and during the early release period, and 2) the amount of time it takes to correct a mistake once you get the message. It's really amazing how much pull consumers have and how company actions have really been dictated a good deal in response to consumers.

iidesuyo said:
By the way, probably somewhat OT, but am I the only one who is impressed that Sony presented this major revision at a German/European convention? This would have been unthinkable ten years ago. A lot has happened in the past few years regarding the European market.

Scheduling helps this too, honestly.

noah111

Still Alive
I may be one of the few, but I actually LOVE the new PS3 logo, ever since it was leaked I thought it was hot. Reminds me of the classic PS2/PSP logo but 'next-gen' with its curves and whatnot.

5vakbo.jpg

Also, I don't think that is the new boxart, that may just be how it looks due to the fact that it's a bundled game, not standalone.

Hell, I wouldn't mind if PSP2 had this logo;

4r7p8g.png

bumpkin

About goddamn time. I still never understood the switch to that god-forsaken Spider-man font. They had established the brand with two previous console logos, and then f'ed it up entirely with the third.

Maximus.

about time they rebranded. I still dont understand the whole hey lets use the spiderman font. Im really happy sony is taking steps in the right direction :D

guise

I never understood this. Sony usually have incredible creative ad campaigns but their core branding is a fucking mess, its so inconsistent:

- spidey logo
- original PS logo
- PSN logo
- SCEE logo
- use of the button icons
- typography/typecase

And none of this stuff is particularly elegant - their best asset is probably the monochrome PS logo yet they still actively brand their content plastered with shitloads of logos from different divisions of the same company.

I cant say i like the updated style (the whole sub-brand for the networking is dumb) but it looks like a step in the right direction

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's pretty much the PS2 font/PSP font lines just made fatter.

I like how it's being consistant with that (and the "Only on Playstation" tab on box art throws back to the Playstation 1 font), but honestly... I couldn't really give a shit either way. At first I was like "LOL SPIDERSTATION 3" but now the font has grown on me.

And frankly, I'm not looking at the damn logo on the console. I'm looking at the damn game.

iidesuyo said:

If Sony could have waited until TGS 09 they would have. Playstation 3 sales have decreased too much in all territories, they had no choice.

Europe is Sony's Dialysis machine! Keeping Sony in the marketplace after Krazy Ken Kidneragi failed and had to be removed.

Despite this Sony have done nothing to acknowledge how important Europe is. Either in the industry or to themselves.

Erebus

Sentry said:
I may be one of the few, but I actually LOVE the new PS3 logo, ever since it was leaked I thought it was hot. Reminds me of the classic PS2/PSP logo but 'next-gen' with its curves and whatnot.
I'm with you here. It looks so much better than the spidey font.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wonder how long it'll take to transform retail and point of sale stuff.

Anyway, a welcome, opportune refresh.

Top Bottom