• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

DigiMish

Looks like the old boxes are out for sure:
gundamps3.jpg

grumble

Does anyone think that this rebranding is the start of a totally new direction for the console or not? Will the ads get awesome like they were in the PS2 days? Will the XMB get less clinical? Will it chill my beer?

They're got a new start with this thing; they'd better not blow it.

Snowden

Banned
There's no creepy baby in these though.

Creepy baby with fire in it's eyes and murder on the brain... crushing me, destroying me.

Ohgod

Kai Ozu

The new boxes look good, thank god the spiderman shit is gone. Are they going to re-release old games with the new border?

longdi

Banned
MercuryLS said:
SCEI is slowly trying to undo everything Kutaragi did :/

God knows that the PS3 Slim could have used his influence in the design department though, yeesh.

iawtp! Kutragi is a hardware man through and through.
Its funny to see people in other topic moan about Sony abandoning backward comp. and in this one cheer the sacking of Kutaragi.

From http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/...our-questions-about-the-new-playstation-3.ars

How many logos does one system need?

There is the multicolored logo that has been with the PlayStation since the first system, the logo that even Koller referred to as the "Spider-Man Logo," and the new PS3 logo seen on the top of the new system. So which one should we be paying attention to?

"We're in the process of replacing the Spider-Man font to the PS3 logo. [The new design] will be the logo moving forward, that will be in place on the hardware and peripherals and software, starting with Uncharted 2."

The older PS logo on the front of the system has been changed from the multicolored design to silver. Koller says that decision was made to standardize the logo across all the territories the PS3 is sold.

It's almost like we're in some kind of weird dimensional rift, and the real PS3 that should have launched 3 years ago is finally coming out.

Losing the colours in the PlayStation logo is a bad choice. It's a timeless piece of design.

Hopefully they'll bring it back next gen.

duk said:
i like the new direction
Completely agree. I cant wait for TGS, Sony seems to finally be getting it together internally in EU and US, and at TGS we get a good look at what Sony will do with this new direction there. If rumors are correct about their conference there, I think TGS can be a BIG turning-point for them.

Crisis said:

There's something...sparse about it, and not in the good sense (usually sparse is a move I like). I don't know, having that strip on the front but with just the logo on the left and not the word "Playstation" doesn't feel right design-wise (and there's not even necessarily a PSN logo on the other side with some games). The name on the clear plastic above it isn't really visible at a glance so it doesn't help. I don't know what I'm trying to say, I guess maybe a box-wide strip isn't the right format for the amount of PS branding they are using on the front cover. Maybe I'm wrong.

Cirekiller said:
Completely agree. I cant wait for TGS, Sony seems to finally be getting it together internally in EU and US, and at TGS we get a good look at what Sony will do with this new direction there. If rumors are correct about their conference there, I think TGS can be a BIG turning-point for them.

Half of it will be leaked 3 weeks early and the other half will be the boring parts, ahh....Sony! How I love you!

Yes Boss!

EmCeeGramr said:
It's almost like we're in some kind of weird dimensional rift, and the real PS3 that should have launched 3 years ago is finally coming out.

Yeah, very strange. But, I like it! At least it will cut down on the forum system wars chatter finally.

I love the PS3 and PlayStation 3 logos, but the boxart is downgrade total! :| The current one is amazing. Ah what can you do.

Visualante said:
Losing the colours in the PlayStation logo is a bad choice. It's a timeless piece of design.

Hopefully they'll bring it back next gen.

Shit, I forgot my 60 has that on the front, why would they get rid of the colours, its so much more appealing.

DigiMish said:
Looks like the old boxes are out for sure:
gundamps3.jpg

this is a great move for sony. sony's former branding was out of touch and unfocused. do you REALLY like spiderman that much, sony?

quite honestly, the "old" ps3's startup sequence is pretentious as fuck. with the symphony music...get over yourselves, sony...

Crisis

Banned
I'm going to go on a limb here. I think the EyePet box is an incomplete one. The Gundam box is a big clue. The new PS3 logo is on the front of the Gundam box but not on the EyePet one. But we have two angles of the EyePet box. And that black strip down the side of the EyePet box is a prime spot for a "PlayStation 3" or the new PS3 logo. Same for the front of the box next to the PS logo. Is it possible that this was sent to Amazon by Sony with the PS3 logo photoshopped out so that they didn't reveal the new PS3 logo too early?

*edit*

Credit to BigGirlsBlouse for this mockup:

ps3boxmock.jpg

[The new design] will be the logo moving forward, that will be in place on the hardware and peripherals and software, starting with Uncharted 2.

Good. The new box is a huge improvement.

EmCeeGramr said:

This is exactly what I've been saying, like, all day.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Snowden said:
There's no creepy baby in these though.

Creepy baby with fire in it's eyes and murder on the brain... crushing me, destroying me.

Ohgod
5p24ya.jpg

kay

Crisis said:
Is it possible that this was sent to Amazon by Sony with the PS3 logo photoshopped out so that they didn't reveal the new PS3 logo too early?
It's not just possible, it's exactly what had happened.

Jeez, I must be obsessive about box arts as 50% of my posts recently have been about them. But it does look better, much cleaner. Have an example.

138170e.jpg

9pyzhw.jpg

Proportions are off, oh well.

jaydogg691

Man, all this PS3 rebranding is making no senses. They are just confusing people with the new logo and if they are actually changing the layout on PS3 games, it's just going to get worse. What happens when the average consumer who just bought a slim sees a game with the old PS3 game layout? They might wonder if the game is compatible with their slim or in vice versa.

This rebranding is really pissing me off.

jaydogg691 said:
Man, all this PS3 rebranding is making no senses. They are just confusing people with the new logo and if they are actually changing the layout on PS3 games, it's just going to get worse. What happens when the average consumer who just bought a slim sees a game with the old PS3 game layout? They might wonder if the game is compatible with their slim or in vice versa.

residentevillongbox.jpg

Yeah man this shit probably scared so many consumers off from buying this game.

Crisis

Banned
kay said:
It's not just possible, it's exactly what had happened.

Jeez, I must be obsessive about box arts as 50% of my posts recently have been about them. But it does look better, much cleaner. Have an example.

138170e.jpg

9pyzhw.jpg

Proportions are off, oh well.

I agree entirely. Just think. It would have had an Only on PlayStation and PlayStation Network logo across the top too.

Averon

jaydogg691 said:

The rebranding, with the launch of a new PS3 sku, absolutely makes sense. Almost everything associated with the PS3 has a strong negative stigma and the stench of failure. Rebranding would give Sony a chance to make a second impression in the minds of the public and media.

HUELEN10

Yes Boss! said:
Yeah, very strange. But, I like it! At least it will cut down on the forum system wars chatter finally.
Sadly, you're fooling yourself. :(

But I do agree, this feels like a totally fresh start. Let's treat it with care!

kay

Crisis said:
I agree entirely. Just think. It would have had an Only on PlayStation and PlayStation Network logo across the top too.
I think it still will, according to that article Uncharted 2 is the first game in the US to have the new case, unless they are only talking first party. I don't understand that because Gundam Senki comes out in two weeks and has it.

jaydogg691

Pai Pai Master said:
residentevillongbox.jpg

Yeah man this shit probably scared so many consumers off from buying this game.
Sony was smart enough to keep the same layout when they switch to jewel CD cases. The new supposed PS3 game layout looks nothing like the originals, add that new crappy ass logo, and that's enough to get people confused.

Does anyone know when Sony started using jewel CD cases for PS1?

Firestorm

Hydrargyrus said:
I like the new box arts, simply and cleaner than the old one.

Which game will be the first to use it??
Says Uncharted 2.

Let's hope Sony remembering that design + marketing matters does for them what it did for Nintendo with the DS Lite.

Japan out of a recession, usa recovering, mainstream pricing. Today's anouncemets will have a bigger and more positive affect than ff7 during the 32bit era. Sony have just cemented themselves into 2nd spot by the end of 2009.

DXPetti

Banned
I fall in the do not like camp in regards to the new font etc... Looks way too, how should I put it, "soft cock"ish :lol

Regardless as I have said in other threads if it helps get more people into the Playstation Brand then so be it. That means more cash-ola for improvements!

Definately feels like they are trying to reboot the franchise, back to the PS1-PS2 era

They're going to redesign the boxes but keep the PSN circle?

Jesus Christ, all the info in the circle is on the back in a box instead of a circle. At least make it a sticker. I boil with rage everytime I look at my otherwise sweet looking Killzone 2 cover.

Top Bottom