• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

HowellJenkins said:
1zbrxa1.jpg
They're going to have both the Spiderman and new font? How does that make sense? Surely they'd change the casing?

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
SSJ1Goku said:
I completely agree

gundamps3.jpg

Awesome new branding

PS2 dvd have "playStation 2 " on top , I think they should go with " PlayStation 3 " instead of " PS3 " on the cover too , so it should be like PS2 covers again but in blu-ray cases .

The one thing I don't like about the new box art is how it says "PS3" on the top with the new font. I think it would have looked better to spell out "Playstation 3" in the traditional font, just like the ps2 boxes. There certainly appears to be enough space up there.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
LethaL ImpuLse said:
They're going to have both the Spiderman and new font? How does that make sense? Surely they'd change the casing?
I imagine their surplus of cases is massive.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
H_Prestige said:
The one thing I don't like about the new box art is how it says "PS3" on the top with the new font. I think it would have looked better to spell out "Playstation 3" in the traditional font, just like the ps2 boxes. There certainly appears to be enough space up there.

PS3 is officially " PlayStation 3 " with the old font ( Zrnic ? ) now , PS2 used that , only reason PSP have only " PSP " is the " PlayStation portable " is way to long , they should just make it like PS2 ( or just keep the great original PS3 boxart designs and replace the vertical position PLAYSTATION 3 on the side with Zrnic PlayStation 3 ) .

51ZK4YMAH3L.jpg

Kccitystar

I'm all for a rebranding but if it isn't using the Zrnic font, it doesn't scream PlayStation to me. I think that should get through marketing and/or whoever handles the rebranding. Don't use Arial or any generic font. If they want to go back to basics, they have to use elements from the original PlayStation brand like the shapes, fonts, and simplistic design.

Hell, a good start would be to change this:

2vcw6eo.jpg

To this:

290u0ww.jpg

any pics comparison between the new package of the ps3slim and the old one. curious to see if they slimmed down it, could save in stock channels and shipping.

Massa

I wonder if the boxart for Uncharted 2 and LBP GOTY that we've seen are not final versions. The Uncharted 2 has a pretty silly mistake on the top left corner and the LBP GOTY box spells "PLAYSTATION Network" instead of "PlayStation Network" like we've seen since at least Killzone 2.

noah111

Still Alive
Kccitystar said:
I'm all for a rebranding but if it isn't using the Zrnic font, it doesn't scream PlayStation to me. I think that should get through marketing and/or whoever handles the rebranding. Don't use Arial or any generic font. If they want to go back to basics, they have to use elements from the original PlayStation brand like the shapes, fonts, and simplistic design.

Hell, a good start would be to change this:

http://i26.tinypic.com/2vcw6eo.jpg[img]

To this:

[img]http://i25.tinypic.com/290u0ww.jpg
Fuck that. :lol The new (actually it's not new) "PlayStation" logo/font looks like this;

20kpt1g.png

Totobeni said:
PS3 is officially " PlayStation 3 " with the old font ( Zrnic ? ) now , PS2 used that , only reason PSP have only " PSP " is the " PlayStation portable " is way to long , they should just make it like PS2 ( or just keep the great original PS3 boxart designs and replace the vertical position PLAYSTATION 3 on the side with Zrnic PlayStation 3 ) .
No, the new logo does not use Zrnic for the spelled out "PlayStation 3"... It uses Arial (Helvetica?), which is the same font that they used for spelling out PlayStation on the PSP logo, the PSN logo, and the old Spidey PS3 logo from earlier this year.

Erebus

Speaking of rebranding, do you think they will change the current PS3's boot logo to "PS3" with the FW3.0?

Jostifer

DarkUSS said:
Speaking of rebranding, do you think they will change the current PS3's boot logo to "PS3" with the FW3.0?
It does. They tested it in one of the unpacking videos. It had firmware 2.76 but still it had the new 'PS3' logo when booted up.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
darkhunger said:
No, the new logo does not use Zrnic for the spelled out "PlayStation 3"... It uses Arial (Helvetica?), which is the same font that they used for spelling out PlayStation on the PSP logo, the PSN logo, and the old Spidey PS3 logo from earlier this year.

this is not Arial/Helvetica

20kpt1g.png

look like Zrnic with fixed/different "a"

Totobeni said:
this is not Arial/Helvetica

http://i25.tinypic.com/20kpt1g.png[IMG]

look like Zrnic with fixed/different "a"[/QUOTE]
This is not "PlayStation 3" either.

This is:
[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/76/PS3_Slim_Logo.jpg

That's Helvetica.

Totobeni said:

That sounds cool. I wonder if someone could shop that.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
H_Prestige said:
That sounds cool. I wonder if someone could shop that.

no photoshop , do you want some fast dirty MSpaint job ?

2ni72ba.jpg

they can go with one of them vertical on the side or normal on top ..better than the new one imo

Totobeni said:
no photoshop , do you want some fast dirty MSpaint job ?

2ni72ba.jpg

they can go with one of them vertical on the side or normal on top ..better than the new one imo

I think it looks better on the top, ps2 style. Side isn't bad either. It makes it look like the original PS cases.

noah111

Still Alive
Kccitystar said:
So they modernized the old font, but it's that typeface that's associated with the brand, like I said before.
No, that font is what they associate with the brand, you even see it on the "Only on PlayStation" labels. The other font is from the PS2 era PlayStation.

DarkUSS said:
Yeah, but not in FW3.0, it simply comes pre-installed into the slims;
18.jpg
18-2.jpg

Nizz

BocoDragon said:
It's gonna be odd lining up PS3 games and having 2 different spine styles :/
That doesn't bother me as much as those god awful red BD keep cases for Greatest Hits titles. :(

I'm gonna try my best to find a copy of Uncharted before the game on shelves are permanently replaced with the red boxes.

I like the new font though. The old Spiderman font never really bothered me at all, but the new one's nice.

Loxley

From Kotaku:

PS3 Slim Already Has A Bundle Deal

The newly announced PS3 Slim is getting a special PS3 bundle — for Japan, that is. And it's a Gundam bundle. Surprise!

To mark the 30th anniversary of the mecha franchise, the bundle comes bundled with a copy of PS3 title Gundam Senki with new box design, a 120GB PS3 Slim, a wireless controller and a fancy box. Oooooh cardboard!

All yours for ¥38,359 (approx. US$400) on September 3.

That image is official, so yeah, they're changing the game-box design.

jonabbey

Barry Lightning said:
this is a great move for sony. sony's former branding was out of touch and unfocused. do you REALLY like spiderman that much, sony?

quite honestly, the "old" ps3's startup sequence is pretentious as fuck. with the symphony music...get over yourselves, sony...

Does the slim use a different sound for its start up?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Does that eyepet box not have the new PS3 logo on the front due to it being an image released before they showed the new logo?

noah111

Still Alive
alr1ghtstart said:
Does that eyepet box not have the new PS3 logo on the front due to it being an image released before they showed the new logo?
Exactly the reason, it's very apparent in the shot that shows the binding, there's an empty black space where the slim logo would go vertically.

Snowden

Banned
Sentry said:
Fuck that. :lol The new (actually it's not new) "PlayStation" logo/font looks like this;

20kpt1g.png
I'm still not clear on why they're not making more use of that font where we're currently seeing Helvetica/Arial. I can sort of buy having the PSN logo use a simpler font since it's easier to read when shrunken down to an icon on the XMB, but elsewhere?

Even worse, the PlayStation 3 version has a lot more weight to it that the PSP's Helvetica font; kind of ironic that the Slim has a fat font. :p

My paint mock-up. Imagine the PS3 on the side was consistent with the angle (I supposed that's what they put there?). The PS symbol could also had the background black like the PS2 boxes but I think it looked nice too in white.

16783gn.png

Erebus

Sentry said:
No, that font is what they associate with the brand, you even see it on the "Only on PlayStation" labels. The other font is from the PS2 era PlayStation.

Yeah, but not in FW3.0, it simply comes pre-installed into the slims;
18.jpg
18-2.jpg
Sucks if true.

And do you know what does the slim show once you boot a PS3 game? I guess not the PLAYSTATION 3 spidey logo.

noah111

Still Alive
DarkUSS said:
Sucks if true.

And do you know what does the slim show once you boot a PS3 game? I guess not the PLAYSTATION 3 spidey logo.
How does that suck? And nope, there hasn't been any footage yet of what happens when you boot up a game.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
DarkUSS said:
Sucks if true.

Eh, SCE is good enough

Erebus

Sentry said:
How does that suck? And nope, there hasn't been any footage yet of what happens when you boot up a game.
Because I don't like the plain SCE on my boot sequence. :lol

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
Sentry said:
Nope, only a 720p version since it's just a screengrab I took from the recent videos.
http://i28.tinypic.com/t9i8m9.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

hmm, it's kinda blocky. Won't look much better after I stretch it either.

thanks anyway.

noah111

Still Alive
Yeah, probably due to the compression of the video or something. I'll post new versions if they ever put up 1080p versions of the trailer.

tanod

when is my burrito
I'm hoping for some enterprising young chaps with photoshopping skills to redo old case prints so I can print them out on glossy paper.

Top Bottom