• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 rebranding

Chittagong

Gold Member
Another rebranding has gone unnoticed so far: Poor Krazy-Ken didn't even get to keep his baby, the term "computer entertainment system".

Old: PLAYSTATION®3 Computer Entertainment System
New: PlayStation®3 System

03.jpg

Chittagong said:
Another rebranding has gone unnoticed so far: Poor Krazy-Ken didn't even get to keep his baby, the term "computer entertainment system".

MS should follow. I hate reading 'Xbox 360™ video game and entertainment system from Microsoft' in every damn press release.

zaidr

Wasn't "Computer Entertainment System" used to get around the higher taxes for import games systems in the EU? If they called it a computer, they could get around paying those taxes.
Also, no Linux support = no more calling it a computer?

alba

Little is the new Big
what would be really cool... having the bootup be an updated version of the ps2 launching sound and those new red waves along with the new PS3 logo then! MAKE IT HAPPEN SONY! :D

tirminyl

I was reading another site and saw the following image in regards to their new ad campaign. Has anyone seen anything else in regards to their new campaign? I really like the image:

PS3ad.jpg

Guy Legend said:
Damn...I liked "computer entertainment system".

I really liked that as well. I also like the red swirls at the end of their trailers, etc. They should do a one time montage at the start of firmware 3.0 to signify a new change.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
thank god, the spiderman font was revolting. the new one is nice and sleek.

this gives me a ping of nostalgia from the ps2 days, and i wasn't even an owner at the time :lol i hope the rebranding and price drop have a really positive effect for sony.

HUELEN10

Sentry said:
Nope, only a 720p version since it's just a screengrab I took from the recent videos.
t9i8m9.png

There's also these two, of course;
14y50ds.jpg

vzdnb5.png
What vids specifically? Could you link us please?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
tirminyl said:
I was reading another site and saw the following image in regards to their new ad campaign. Has anyone seen anything else in regards to their new campaign? I really like the image:

PS3ad.jpg
I like how it doesn't say ''Play Games''.

noah111

Still Alive
tirminyl said:

http://tirminyl.net/images/PS3ad.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Same here, it's probably one of the best ads for the PS3 itself yet, btw it was [URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17203138&postcount=2743"]posted earlier today[/URL] in the slim thread.

Hopefully we see it around enough, could work for print and online ads, but im wondering if they'll have any TV spots for the slim..

[QUOTE=Teetris]I like how it doesn't say ''Play Games''.[/QUOTE]
Probably because everyone knows "PlayStation" plays games...

[QUOTE=HUELEN10]What vids specifically? Could you link us please?[/QUOTE]
[URL="http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=17198596&postcount=2417"]Sure, they're available in the EU PS Store for DL.[/URL]

hurahn

Neo Member
Damn, the government should really get all of yall to watch the borders or something. No detail is missed. I never really paid much attention to the font on the game boxes.

HYDE

Banned
Machado said:
is there any way to have new and old games pacaked / repackaged in this?

You know, what they should do is print the old style box art inside the new style box art (like the new play control wii titles, or like god of war 1+2) Only thing is, the cases are clear. I don't like the idea of rebranding midway, it screws over those who bought the PS3 when it launched, etc... Something should happen to allow us to keep our library looking nice.

Raistlin

hurahn said:
Damn, the government should really get all of yall to watch the borders or something. No detail is missed. I never really payed much attention to the font on the game boxes.

neogaf - serious business™

NeoUltima

Has there been no videos of somebody booting a game up on the slim? Too see if they replaced the spidey font there as well.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Sentry said:
Probably because everyone knows "PlayStation" plays games...
No way? Maybe that's why I said it, you know, cause I actually like it?

Totobeni said:
yeah because people know PlayStation 1 , 2 and portable as Karaoke machines .
PS2 probably is to some people? I don't know

Christopher said:
I like how we make judgements from seeing half the advertisement when clearly there is more written to it.
Really, that's half the ad? So someone decided to chop it before posting? What if actually it's supposed to be in that style, you know, you can do so many things it doesn't fit on paper?

Ballistictiger said:
Yeah they have used it since the PS1. I'm too use to it.
rhr5w9.jpg

and Jesus wept, srsly

grumble

Good to see they're making the system more friendly. It was always a little too hyper elegant and stylish, which is nice but also clinical and cold.

Well, this is what they should have done back at launch.

That's what I've been saying about almost everything Sony's been doing lately. Time to buy one.

Raistlin

kay said:
2iax0eg.jpg

They reduced the weight so much it is now able to float.

heh ... direct acknowledgment of the console being square.

grumble said:
Good to see they're making the system more friendly. It was always a little too hyper elegant and stylish, which is nice but also clinical and cold.

agreed.

While I personally liked the previous styling overall, I can see how it could come off a bit too stylish.

The redesign (system, logos, etc.) however is really nice imo. They were able to keep it elegant and stylish, but moved it to a more minimalist, contemporary design. Nice and modern, but still remains distinguished. Pretty close to a homerun.

OnPoint

Chittagong said:

Psh. Eff that. I've changed my mind. No buy for me.

Concept17

I've only just skipped around in this thread, but are they changing the border from the left, to the top? Just in a single region? I HATE it on the top, so soo soooo much. Change the font, resize it, whatever, but PS3 cases atm look by far the best.

KtSlime

Really? I am kind of glad they are moving to a case that is similar to the PSP/PS2 style.

I hate that they are changing mid way through, but less than I hated seeing the current style a few years ago.

Black top with the name, and it would be cool if they had the game controller icon like the PSP boxes too, hopefully they go back to the white square with the PS logo on the spine. I HATE the red PS 3 logo on the spine.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Teetris said:
PS2 probably is to some people? I don't know

My little sister bought a PS2 solely for playing SingStar (later on she bought GH III), so yeah, some people actually do use the PS2 only as a karaoke machine.

As for the font and design change, I personally prefer the Spider-Man font and the old design, but I can see why some would find the old design to be a bit too clinical and cold compared to the "warmer" look of the slim.

kay

Gamefly put up this pre-final box art for Gran Turismo 5.
138840e.jpg

So it looks like the only on logo remains in the US, just on the right and smaller this time. Probably because the PSN logo is over there and that means the white logo for that is gone completely.

Here is a mock up I made of what the final Uncharted 2 box should look like.
141nx9l.jpg

What about games with no PSN features, no PSN logo on the box? Here is an example, again not official.
2ibylv6.jpg

Image is a bit stretched and I had to create the sky area at the top from nothing so the logo wouldn't go over the title. It would be strange putting the only on logo there while the top area is blank so..

ir7ww5.jpg

The logo probably wouldn't have that line around it if it was there though, but I don't feel like editing that.

Honestly, this is a lot better than before and it needed to be done even if things don't match any longer. The old font was terrible and scared people away.

KtSlime

I hope the PS3 text looks crisper in real life, it looks blurry and shopped (probably is), other than that looks good!

Zeke

I wonder if the old fatty PS3 (60GB) and spidey font are gonna be collector items waaaaaaay down the line.

-Winnie-

Not really a fan of the new boxart style... but hey, if this somehow gets rid of the bastard PSN circle, then I'm happy.

kay said:
ir7ww5.jpg

The logo probably wouldn't have that line around it if it was there though, but I don't feel like editing that.

Should be more like this. I never minded the "Only on 360" logo because they just threw it up on the top bar where it didn't take up any extra space. The "Only on Playstation" and "Playstation Network" bars were stupid additions. I'm glad I got my phat PS3 though, the slim, the box redesign, and the PSPGo are all horribly ugly imo. Wonder what's going on with that.

Mr. Sam

kay said:
Honestly, this is a lot better than before and it needed to be done even if things don't match any longer. The old font was terrible and scared people away.

What if the game's not only on PlayStation!? I need to know.

that new red-black-ps3 splash screen that appears in front of every new trailer is cool! Maybe it will replace the spiderman-playstation splash screen on Slims on boot up too?

Balboa

Is there any word on when game covers will start using this new design and whether the old games will be updated?

I imagine they don't want to end up with a mix of both on the shelves but it seems unavoidable for now.

elektrixx

Banned
This means some games I buy will look different in my collection. Because games like Resistance are only made as platinum titles means they can't be found with a redesigned case either

I care about crap like that!

Top Bottom